[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't Dark Souls considered a fighting game? > If
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: DS2PvPYo.jpg (303 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
DS2PvPYo.jpg
303 KB, 610x343
Why isn't Dark Souls considered a fighting game?

> If you lock on to your opponent, don't use any items, and promise to stay in a small area, it's basically like Soul Calibur
> Has more depth than any traditional fighting game like Street Fighter
> Two people are fighting, shouldn't it be a fighting game?
> Tons of potential for competitive play, not limited to a single platform
> Doesn't matter that Miyazaki never intended for it to be a fighting game if we all band together and ram our community down his throat
> Not hindered by pointless artificial difficulty inputs that are 20 years old
> Outsells autistic franchises like SFV anyway

Dark Souls at EVO 2017 please
>>
Because you could be in the same room with the opponent and the lag will be like they are a brazillian on a 56k modem.
>>
> Tons of potential for competitive play,

Not in 3, no
>>
>>344222205
>>344222386
Yeah, you can't do 2 players on one machine.
>>
>>344222205
>Why isn't Dark Souls considered a fighting game?

I don't see any similarities between dark souls and mortal kombat
>>
Because the only people that play Ds3 """""""""""""""""""""""""competitively"""""""""""""""" are stream whores and /dsg/ which is a small user base not only that but any of the FC's are the same thing over and over again no one wants to see that and no one cares. Not to mention dark souls was never meant to be competitive.
>>
>>344222205
>Has more depth than

Define depth.
>>
File: igetit.png (161 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
igetit.png
161 KB, 500x360
>>
> Has more depth than any traditional fighting game like Street Fighter
explain
>>
As someone who duels as their primary form of pvp (but then again who doesn't because invasions are fucked), it doesn't have enough in-game facilities to afford competitive play.
>>
Fighting games have similar characteristics that identifies them as such. You can't compare dark souls as you could Smash and street fighter
>>
>>344222205
>autistic
>artificial difficulty
Less buzzwords next time
>>
>>344222205

All the things you have to change to fit a fighting game format or any arguement that starts with 'technically its ______'

Those are why its not considered a fighting game. Fighting game is obvious fighting game it fits a certain model. Dark Souls only occasionally vaguely fits that model.
>>
File: 1407248569470.png (351 KB, 599x399) Image search: [Google]
1407248569470.png
351 KB, 599x399
>I am incapable of playing fighting games because doing scary motions like 623 is too complicated for my sub 80 IQ mind to handle
>So playing dark souls and flailing around in a 300ms connection is the closest my adhd riddled mind can get to a real fighting game

The sad part is this is probably not even bait and you are actually this retarded
>>
>>344224707
I was just about to post something like this and you did it for me anon

thanku
>>
File: Carthus-Curved-Sword.png (43 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Carthus-Curved-Sword.png
43 KB, 512x512
Fighting games typically have something approaching balance and more than one viable character.
>>
>>344222205
I get what you're trying to say and it's stupid.

You're making a retarded comparison between DS/Smash and traditional fighting games but you're so far off the mark it's not even funny, which you're obviously trying so hard to be.

The Smash community feels smash is a fighting game because it has two people fighting on a 2d stage with elements very similar to traditional fighting games like dashing, recovery, cancels, and more. Smash has a ton of depth, even more than any shitty Street Fighter has ever had, except maybe 3S but everyone hated that game because it was so unnecessarily convoluted, to the point of being asinine. It doesn't matter what the creator intended because he made a game that IS a fighting game, whether he wants it to be or not. We, the community, have taken smash and made it so much more. We have tournaments and leagues and its become a world wide phenomenon, easily accessible compared to basically every other fighting game's obnoxious skill floor. "you can't play our game until you put 100 hours into a training mode against a non-moving opponent" whereas kids and adults alike can pick up and play and even stand a chance against veterans.

Go back to r/kappa and keep shitposting about a game you don't play anyway.
>>
>Has more depth than any traditional fighting game like Street Fighter
regards somehow who has never played a fighting game
>>
>>344226375

smash still isn't a fighting game
>>
>>344222205
Melee is literally so ridiculously complicated and demanding now that the top players are causing irreparable damage to their hands. It's fine if you don't want to call it a fighting game but goddamn if it isn't hardcore
>>
File: 1386518887191.jpg (99 KB, 850x914) Image search: [Google]
1386518887191.jpg
99 KB, 850x914
make Dark Souls work with a set number of stages/arenas, or at least 1 stages, then we can talk

but wait, will every weapon and spell be available? what soul level would they be at? what about weapon upgrades? what about armors? what about estus and other recovery items usage? Dark Souls core gameplay could make an interesting 1v1 game, or even 2v2, etc, but it needs a lot of changes to make that happen, and even then it'd be a hassle to set up for every game with every person making their own build

I think you're trying to compare it to Smash being in EVO and trying to make it sound silly though, so whatever I guess
>>
>>344222893
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6qa7aptE1Q
>>
>>344227120
That's not on one machine, that's on one network.

>>344222893
This isn't a good argument regardless. Pokken Tournament must be played on separate setups if you want 60fps, but it still has 1000+ entrants at EVO.
>>
>>344228504
Interesting. I didn't know that. Are they really going to have that many Pokken setups at EVO? Can you play smash games on the same setups?
>>
>>344228639
In all likelihood, Pokken setups and Smash 4 setups will be shared. Pools are most likely run for each game at separate times.
>>
>anything but Dark Souls 1 fit for competitive play
Ha ha, no.

In a LAN scenario it's the best by far, this has already been tested.
>>
File: 1449534070899.png (155 KB, 738x625) Image search: [Google]
1449534070899.png
155 KB, 738x625
>Why isn't Dark Souls considered a fighting game?
>>
>>344229204
Even DS1 is seriously flawed, and I really like the pvp in these games.

1 and 2 (When your SL isn't too high) had the better PVP of the games. BB was cool until you realize everyone played roughly the same and Bloodtinge could 1 shot people so quickly.
>>
>>344229534
>infinitely more tech
>multiple options for wakeups/setups for both players
>backstabs can punish rolls
>poise(aka what you wear matters instead of Vitality being a fashion stat)
>4 way rolling
1 being the best was an accident, but it's still valid

1's player numbers have only risen since people started realizing 3 had no depth
>>
>>344229984
3 tried hard though, you gotta give it credit. Hyperarmor is a cool idea. Multiplying your poise for a short duration, making players time their defense instead of it being constantly active. It just didn't work out at all. Something like what, 2-3 shortsword swings can break most greatsword hyperarmor?

Weapon arts are cool as balls. If their damage was buffed relative to the resources needed to use them, they might even be viable. They add a lot of individuality to the weapon selection, or would if there wasn't a single best weapon in each category. I play a vanilla flamberge user, two handing that shit, and nothing feels as good as landing a stance-r2 on a fleeing opponent, and following up with a stance-r1 to catch their backroll.

Shame the netcode and balance are so fucked.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.