[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>still no horror game that scans your brain and makes sure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>still no horror game that scans your brain and makes sure you will encounter your worst phobias

why live?
>>
Because a video game about the heat death of the universe wouldn't be interesting
>>
>>344211079
It's your fault for having such lame phobia.
>>
>>344210821
Too many variables. Better to try and make a scary game of your own idea, and if it's good enough it'll scare/entertain people
>>
>>344210821
That wouldn't be fun. I don't want to play a game where I'm covered in spiders.
>>
HORROR THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEE4yZgphFk
>>
>>344211658
Isn't this game just a shooter?
>>
>>344210821
I don't think we're even close to that kind of imaging even in lab settings.
Maybe if you count being in an fmri while certain images are shown to you while your reaction is recorded
>>
>>344210821
Why would I play a game that deals with depression and existential angst when I can do that myself 24/7, FOR FREE?
>>
File: bison.png (140 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
bison.png
140 KB, 300x300
>>344211774
>Shooters can't be horror
>>
if I wanted to eat dinner with my relatives I'd eat dinner with my relatives, I wouldn't buy a fucking game for 60 bucks and have it scan my brain
>>
>>344211079
>Giving a fuck about the end of the universe.

Kek. Grow up faggit.
>>
I fear nothing for i am Fear incarnate.
>>
>>344210821
>turning around in a dark hallway to see something standing behind me
>being unmoving in a pitch black room with the impression that either something is standing bent over me, cms from my face
>or that if I make the slightest movement something will jump out at me and start killing me in the most horrifying way
I can do all of these in my home at night, why would I buy a game to do it?
>>
File: 1466079634308.gif (4 MB, 263x388) Image search: [Google]
1466079634308.gif
4 MB, 263x388
>>344210821
>your worst phobias
It's almost impossible to simulate in vidya the fear I get from heights.

I can barely look down from the 7th floor flat I live in for a minute before my knees start shaking but Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games.
>>
>>344210821
I'm not even sure if I have any particular phobia. What happens then?
>>
Wouldn't be better to scare you of something you dind't even knew?
>>
>>344212686
if it legitimately can't find a phobia that you have, it would probably brute force one onto you by choosing the worst phobias that people who have played the game have experience
>>
>>344212643
Have you ever seen the gif of the guy jumping across the concrete pads near the top of of a building? I don't have a fear of heights and sometimes that gif gives me vertigo anyway.
>>
>>344211079

i think it would be
>>
my phobia is being alone and forgotten.

any games like that?

besides yume nikki.
>>
File: 131561.gif (2 MB, 322x242) Image search: [Google]
131561.gif
2 MB, 322x242
>>344210821
>still no Hellraiser horror game that lets you explore cenobite hell
why live?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsGgiQpP5QI
>>
File: 200_s.gif (23 KB, 213x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
23 KB, 213x200
>>344211079
>wouldn't be interesting

Speak for yourself. There is so much we don't know!
>>
>ctrl+f
>no sound of silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmMXXC_TdU0 here's your game, OP. Enjoy your wait.
>>
>>344210821
>a game that puts me in a class room and makes me fail tests
oh boy
>>
>>344211658
Scorn isn't scary to me...

I kinda find it cozy.

Giger and Bekinski paintings were cold but comfy to me. I have several on my house.

It's strangely beautiful.
>>
>>344213027
But by definition, the hat death of the universe is the point at which everything slows to a stop because entropy is at a maximum. If the theory is correct, wouldn't the final hundred million years of the universe just be matter slowly moving into a position of absolute maximum entropy? Mind, by this point, it's probably been billions of years since life was even possible in the universe and no observable change to the universe will have happened in probably more billions (if there were hypothetically someone able to observe the universe at that point)
>>
>>344210821
i dont need a game for this
>>
>>344210821
>horror game where youre immobilized and sink into the abyss of deep waters the entire game
>horror game about sharks

At best it would be a survival/jump scare game
>>
>unemployment simulator
>>
>buy game
>see spider
>immediately return it.

Yea, that worked out great.
>>
File: Risen3 2016-07-06 22-25-03-95.jpg (255 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-07-06 22-25-03-95.jpg
255 KB, 1920x1080
>>344214114
Spiders are your friends
>>
>Jump off heights in the vidya
>Get vertigo and my back shivers
Fuck heights
>>
>>344210821
I remember one that uses some device that detects how scared you are. The higher the fear, the weirder the game gets.
I'd love to play it but the device ain't cheap and I can't remember how the game's called.
>>
>>344210821
>tfw haven't found your phobia yet
How do you guys do it?
>>
>>344210821
>phobia
>past 14
>>
>>344210821

>being skinned alive

That's fucking bullshit
>>
>>344211079
/tg/ wrote a whole setting on it.

You were a member of the last known ship orbiting a dying sun. Outside the ship lies only blackness, save for a few fading dots far, far away. Due to the speed of light and their distance, it's likely those stars are already dead, and you simply haven't witnessed their supernova or collapse yet.

What do you do with your final years before the current star your ship is orbiting finally collapses, with no more energy to be had in the galaxy except for what your ship has collected? You won't make it to another star in time, even if you could find one.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
124 KB, 1280x720
>>344212643

>vidya can't recreate fear of heights

Nigga wat
>>
>>344214925
Be honest /v/, was any of you actually scared of falling here?
>>
>>344215123
my asshole clenched so fucking tight every time i pressed the spacebar
>>
>>344210821
In real life heights will shake me, looking over the edge of a high up place freaks me the fuck out.

In vidya though fall damage is just a bit annoying, maybe VR can change it but my fear of heights is never triggered in vidya
>>
>>344214925
It's nowhere near the same. You don't get that lightheaded feel when looking at the ground from heights, also you cannot fall and even if the player character falls you inherently know it's just a game over as opposed to you fucking dieing
Heck games don't even bother animating fall deat
>>
>>344215123

Scared? No. Tense as shit? Absolutely. The bone crunching sound followed by the high pitched tone is some of the best sound design in vidya to date.

https://www.myinstants.com/instant/half-life-2-fall-death-crunch/
>>
>>344214114
>Buy game
>Tricks you into thinking there are no spiders
>There's actually the scariest spiders in video game history, some of which are placed barely 10 seconds outside of a town
>"w-well this is a really good game, and they're rare, maybe I can put up with it"
>turns out the strongest, hardest boss in the game is a queen spider that summons a shit-ton of her mook spiders, making the second-worst area in the game even more terrible

Guess the game
>>
>>344215323
heights would be much more impactful in any game if falling off a ledge meant your save was lost
>>
>>344211172
I can barely play Space Engine because I'm scared of large empty spaces
>>
>>344215351
>You don't get that lightheaded feel when looking at the ground from heights
I do, tho.
>>
>>344215642
What game so i can avoid it,anon?
>>
>Can't even look up at high places like grain silos in real life, let alone look off the edge
>LOVE heights in games, platforming like Mirror's Edge being my jam

What's wrong with me, /v/?
>>
>>344214857
Sounds pretty fucking awesome. What is it called and is it? A board game, table top rpg or what?
>>
>tfw playing alien isolation and skip past all the blueprints

i missed out on the flashbang and smoke bomb blueprints already

what the fuck man
>>
>>344215642
Grimrock? I don't remember a spider boss but I didn't finish the game either.
>>
>>344215875
Hint: it's the only good Bioware game since Mass Effect 2.

Dragon Age Origins
>>
>>344216110
Not nearly as spooky as the DA:O ones anon, sorry.
>>
people who experience phobia from spiders in video games, please explain. I would be scared shitless by a spider and a good number of things in real life, but they do literally nothing to me in a videogame. They're just another skin for a mob, most of the times they don't even behave like real life, vicious spiders, they just punch your face and vaguely bite you instead of crawling up your legs or dropping down on your back and getting inside your clothes like a smart spider would
>>
>>344213031
Sorry anon, but I just checked their fb:
>Sound of Silence
March 4 ·
Hey, everyone. We think it's time to talk about the state of the game for a bit seeing as things have been very silent lately.
Due to circumstances affecting many of our team members, we have decided to officially announce the cancellation of Sound of Silence. It is not something we take lightly as this project has been a dream game of sorts for many of us, but we ultimately cannot continue with it for many reasons, most of which are of personal nature. We did our very best trying to make this game become a reality with nothing but our free time and a budget of zero, but it eventually became too difficult to make it all work together.
We want to thank everyone who has supported us throughout the development process, especially our most die-hard fans who have always looked out for news since day one. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments section.
Regards,
The Pathfinder Games team
>>
>>344217186
Disregard that, I'm a retard

http://www.nosedivestudios.com/sound-of-silence
>>
>>344216723
I'm an Australian and my dad forced me to watch tons of spider footage as a kid, because he was kind of a dick.

There's also a theory that the human mind naturally freaks the fuck out when it sees a spider because it's so alien and distant from what we have we can't comprehend how it works.
>>
>>344216723
>I hate scary thing
>game has giant version of scary thing
>Said scary thing is made to look like the most vile thing you can imagine
>scary thing may be poorly animated or over animated,therefore making it look eerie as fuck
>game is also in first person.

Well how could you not be terrified?

til this day, I cannot play Minecraft longer than 20 minutes because those god damn spiders always without a doubt, crawl on top of my house and wait there,with that disgusting noise they make. I always had to make a floating house or one over water. a house that was very well lit all around. Call me a bitch if you want,I dont give a damn, that shits terrifying.
>>
>>344214857
jesus christ that sounds horrifying
>>
>>344217371
Literally the only reason for someone to be afraid of spiders and some some insects is that they move fast as fuck and can cling to the wall or fly or crawl all over you while moving fast as fuck
Also many are poisonous.
Appearance wise I'd say the it's the big number of legs that once again all move fast as fuck
The speed has got to be the most terrifying factor. You don't see anyone scared of slugs, turtles and other slow moving shit that would take ages to reach you
>>
>>344212643
>what is VR
>>
>>344217741
>Playing BB
>Aggro the giant Nightmare Apostle in the Nightmare of Mensis
>RUN AWAY
>Get far enough that it switches to basic animations
>Somehow, the jilting, low-quality animation is more unnerving than the high-quality one

Turns out they're not that scary once you realize they're total punks though, just like the Parasite Spiders from Dark Souls 2 who literally can't hurt you if you have a torch. Freja's still scary though.
>>
File: AzDe74X.gif (85 KB, 369x295) Image search: [Google]
AzDe74X.gif
85 KB, 369x295
>>344218010
what about those
>>
>>344214409
I'm pretty sure that's Nevermind. I remember watching some videos on it and it's issues with mistaking a person's increased heart rate for fear
>>
Only if it can discern different types of fear. I don't want a game about failure, embarrassment, and bugs. Those things terrify me, but not in the enjoyable way.
>>
File: 1464344637158.jpg (507 KB, 1620x2160) Image search: [Google]
1464344637158.jpg
507 KB, 1620x2160
>swim at night
>something touches your foot
>>
>>344218010
We see people who are afraid of balloons, pickles and the color yellow, not to mention morbidly obese people who think eating vegetables is some kind of chinese torture technique.
>>
>>344218010
Are you fucking kidding? Snapping turtles, bro. They're terror incarnate.

Spiders just look creepy, man. From Frostbite Spiders to Aragog to Shelob and everything in between. Even Yakuza from Metroid Fusion spooked me the first time.
>>
>>344215323

It's definitely not the same as IRL, but whenever I jump off cliffs or get at least a few seconds of air time in vidya I still get extremely uncomfortable.

Something about the ground rushing up freaks me the fuck out.
>>
>>344211079
I find this more sad than scary.

>Everyone dies
>Most things destroyed
>No life anywhere in the universe, so we can't even leave a legacy for aliens to find and learn about
>Everything done by every living thing in the universe becomes pointless in the long run
>Everything goes dark
>Nothing happens
>Forever
>>
>>344218359
There is nothing appearance wise to explain fear of cockroaches. Frankly it fees like a social hysteria passed on by women
The only thing a cockroach has got going for it is that they move very fast and sometimes can fly and act all akward trying to go for dark places so at times they move towards your shadow thus giving the impression they are chasing you
There's a pretty neat cockroach horror movie from the 80s that uses real cockroaches instead of shitty cg, forgot the name.
Legitimaly the only insects that truly disgust me are centipedes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431848R0-Xw&feature=youtube&t=31

>>344218769
The chance of you meeting a snapping turtle is literally zero on urban areas, as opposed to spiders, snakes, and even scorpions in some places
>>
>>344218839
Its reasons like this is why im glad i was born during these times.

>general public freaking out
>everyone looting and killing like its the purge
>everything truly feels meaningless because everyone will die in the coming days.
>only thing you can do is just sit with your loved ones and wait until its over.
>we probably were unable to find another planet to inhabit before the sun goes.

I can only hope my future great grandkids wont suffer too much.
>>
>>344219571
Anon by the time anything like that would happen humanity will either be extremely advanced or long gone
Like how our sun still has a fuckton of time before going, as in time that is beyond human perception due to how many millions of years are still left
>>
>>344219917
I'm not entirely convinced. I was told that we would have flying cars and hoverboards by now. That did not happen.
>>
>a game set in a circus full of evil clowns
>the retarded twist is you were a crazy clown the entire time
>>
>>344219402
I live in rural-ass Australia. I could get my ass kicked by a kangaroo tomorrow, or bitten by the most poisonous spider in the world while I sleep, or accosted by a scorpion, or fucking bitten by a snapping turtle.
>>
File: carnevil[1].png (2 MB, 832x1094) Image search: [Google]
carnevil[1].png
2 MB, 832x1094
>>344220353
Close enough.
>>
>>344220240
Except the sun still has 1 billion years before it really begins to endanger earth
1 billion fucking years
Recorded human history is just about 5000 years. That's nothing compared to 1 billion we still have and especially considering the really amazing advancements were made in the last what... 100 hundred years?
If anything living now is the worst. People that lived before our time at least could die peacefully thinking God or some other random deity was responsible for everything
We on the other hand fucking know now there are laws and physics and tons of shit about how the universe works. Yet we still understand/know less than 1% of it and both me and you will most certainly die without knowing it. It's pretty infuriating and sad, same for space exploration/colonization
Lich mode when?
>>
My phobia is in a lot of VN and hentai and I fucking hate it.

urethral insertion It legit stop me from sleeping at night
>>
>>344218632
Play Subnautica and swim around at night. If you really want to get spooked do so without the flashlight.
>>
>>344221042
Isn't universal heat death in some few trillion years? I imagine humanity will have all killed themselves from boredom by that time.
>>
>>344210821
>horror game that scans your brain and makes sure you will encounter your worst phobias
You mean real life?
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.