[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will there ever be another MMO that lasts as long with a large
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 80
File: Final_Fantasy_XI_logo.png (47 KB, 300x163) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_XI_logo.png
47 KB, 300x163
Will there ever be another MMO that lasts as long with a large playerbase and continuing content release like FFXI?
>>
Everquest.

Runescape.
>>
No, because it was an actual MMORPG, a game designed around player interaction, teamwork, and valued the journey over the reward. Hard work and time investment was rewarded not only with items and junk but with memories, friendships, and the admiration of your peers.

Can't go back to that, can't have a game today with that much content and such a hefty time and skill requirement.
>>
>[Moon][Pass]: O
>>
>>344176526
>every game now can achieve maximum level in a week
>can obtain best items in a month or buy them with cash
Kill me.

>admiration of your peers
>there will never be another game where you are amazed by the gear put together by a person and consider them the best player in the game to be respected and looked up to
>>
File: 127095609349.jpg (21 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
127095609349.jpg
21 KB, 450x299
>>344176946
>>344176526
You'll sit here circlejerking about this, and then a game attempting to fulfill this and you bitch.

You fuckers need to learn from Wildstar, they built a game like this and nobody actually wanted it, they were just rose tinted faggots.
>>
>>344176526

>Hard work and time investment

I'm really starting to worry that all the people who played MMOs in the past were losers who couldn't accomplish something in real life, so they turned to MMOs to get it instead.
>>
>>344176946
>XIV
>3.05 is released
>faggots throw a hissy fit that they can't clear the raid once they reach 60
>literally quit "raiding" over the fact that the game is actually hard and unfair

People literally don't want stuff that they consider hard.
>>
>>344177515
>they built a game like this

They really didn't, though. Wildstar was a game built to replicate vanilla WoW, which indeed turns out nobody wanted after all. It was still just a theme park MMO and not an actual world like with EQ and FFXI.

If you're too young to have played the classics, you really have no business talking shit about them.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 195x148) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 195x148
I'm torn about FFXI. The world building and sense of cooperation/community are absolutely top notch but there is a ton of shit in the game that is just straight unfun and anti-user friendly when you start playing the actual game.
>>
>>344176946

one of my fucking sackholders one day pulled out a Paladin with literally fucking everything, shadow gear, aegis, HQ koenig, and i'd never seen him use it the whole time i'd been in the LS. i played pretty hardcore for 5 years and another 2 year on and off, but people would still blow my mind, one of my best bros didn't really like HNMLS but instead he got maat's cap, farmed all night on THF and brought everything for SAM himself.
>>
Just a reminder micro transactions were finally added
Enjoy your weekend ( ͡' ͜ - ͡')
>>
File: 1467505929980.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1467505929980.gif
3 MB, 480x270
Dragon Quest X will last longer with the Japanese player base than FFXI did. But as for the rest of the world...
>>
>>344177929

its true but Aby-RoV pretty much fixed that, you can buy your own spells and gear, you can play all the expacs solo, you have tons of storage.
unfortunately, in turn, RoV and Lv99 also ruined everything else.
>>
>>344178087
WHAT?
>>
>>344177847
I'm playing XIV right now and trying to get into it, but the community seems so empty. No one gives a shit about anyone but themselves.

>>344177797
I mean, that could be true. I quit the baseball team and ignored girls so that I would have more time to play. In the end I didn't really miss out on anything since baseball wouldn't have amounted to shit and the girls were never really going to be permanent either.

Only regret one.
>"hey anon, my parents went out of town for the weekend. want to come over?"
>"uhhhh... i can't i have to help my family with something..."
>"come onnnn! you don't want to go swimming with me?"
>"can't"
>"what about later tonight?"
>"can't"
>"tomorrow?"
>"can't"
>"can we talk on the phone at least?"
>"don't have enough minutes left"
Ended up fucking her like 5 years later anyways, but still missed out on that sweet 15 yr old pussy.

>>344177929
Current FFXI is less fun because no one really does anything outside of their 3-4 man circles.

>>344178087
Micro-transactions? To what?
>>
Is FFXI worth playing if you haven't before or should I just go for XIV?
>>
How many people really care about extremely difficult raid content in MMOs? I thought it was mostly about the social element.

Hell based on what I've heard, extremely difficult content produces some of the most anti-social tendencies (elitism, drama, limits who you spend your time with).
>>
File: FFXVI HW.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
FFXVI HW.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>344176161

It already exists
>>
>>344178758
Worth it if you're a fan of the series. You can play through most of the original story solo in a few weeks, whereas it used to take several months of grouping and progression.
>>
>>344178720

>I'm playing XIV right now and trying to get into it, but the community seems so empty. No one gives a shit about anyone but themselves.
Its not the fault of the community. Its the fault of the game which is 95% solo PvE play.
>>
>>344178818
That is mostly true, on an extreme scale.

The thing with FFXI was that you could spend your weekends farming the shit out of difficult content then relax during the week with your social groups.

The objective and goal (at least for me) to becoming strong was so that I could help out the newer players and do amazing things that you could only do with tons of practice and good builds. FFXI had many people playing a job like Paladin, but there was a HUGE difference between a skilled player and an unskilled player. There were people that maybe had lower quality gear, but because of their skill they were on even ground with the elite players and thus respected even more.

You could literally be a knight in shining armor that saved all of the weaker people from a horrible foe. Show up with your group of friends, kill an NM levels above yourself, and leave an impression on a new player that they would never forget.

>>344179208
I wish they would get rid of the duty finder.
>>
>>344179181
Aight, hopefully it goes on sale on Steam
>>
MMOs now are all about instant gratification and cash shops now. The mechanics that made them great have been scrapped.
>>
Shilling
http://nasomi.com/
>>
>>344179208

This. You literally play the game alone aside from a handful of dungeons that force you to group with people. People often complain that no one knows how to raid correctly. Well how could they when the only experience they have is about 15 dungeons, 12 of which a single DPS BRD could solo everything.
>>
>>344179390

It's not the Dutyfinder that will solve anything. It's their leveling experience in general. Thanks to a limit on tangible rewards from even bothering with lower level content (All endgame is 'muh tomestones'), who would bother to group up with somebody except for the kindness out of their own heart?

Help someone through the story quest? That'd be GREAT if it were at all possible. Even leveling up along with a friend, you'd better make sure you're on the exact same quests/fates or else that level difference is gonna fuck you down the road, and EVEN THEN you're given solo instances where you have to split up from your friend to complete some shit.
>>
>>344179645
This server could be good if the owner wasn't a faggot
>>
>>344179208

That's true but that's also because this is the only way to ensure you will have enought people subbing on your MMO. Most MMO players nowadays need to be able to beat most of the content by themselves (I mean, with group finders and stuff) and don't want to expent time in guilds doing trys every day at the same hour like it's a second job.

I love raiding...I swear I fucking love it...but I'm not the same 15 years old kid that could play wow 10 hours every day. I'm fine with an MMO that allows me to play 1-2 hours when I want and log out withouth a group of people depending on me loging in (I usually played as MT in WoW, SWTOR and FFXIV).
>>
>>344179669

A bard can't solo any dungeon.
>>
>>344178818

FFXI endgame was like vanilla WoW raids though, in terms of it not being mechanically hard content, but hard to control 40+ fucking people and getting them all in one place at one time, and having to talk to every single one individually to try and figure out what they play, how they play it, if they even know what they are doing, and if they have any idea what the fuck gear they are supposed to use and what their role is an alliance and how to get to the place where the boss is in the first place, and if they've even done the 100hour 6-man campaign missions to unlock it. So its actually the social MMO experience that is the hardcore difficulty; the perfect MMORPG experience.

You couldn't just send people to youtube videos and be reasonably confident that classes gear and play themselves so its hard to fuck up. a Red Mage might have meant completely different things to two different people, and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong, just situational to the raid slot and content. for instance a RDM that has focused on /BLM with MAB/MACC gear, and another is /WHM with more MP and healing power.

And then you have the "bot the spawn before the other guy bots the spawn" challenge.

the actual content wasn't that hard, it was just a long experience to get through content gates and you had to pay attention to the journey, and not tripping over your own feet to get to [CURRENT RELEVANT RAID TIER]. pretty much everything is relevant, even low level parties, they were a grind but you were getting better and better at being a valuable party member all the time. solo leveling and LFR systems dont create that class of party member.
>>
>FFXIV
>21 dollars canadian
>FFXI
>40 dollars canadian
Lol what
>>
>>344180298

>pretty much everything is relevant, even low level parties, they were a grind but you were getting better and better at being a valuable party member all the time

Then how were there an overwhelming number of shitters in FFXI and WoW?
>>
>>344179669
This is true. Everything is also spoonfed to you for 95% of the game, so when it comes time to shine everyone just kind of sits there spamming their buttons as usual and have no real concept of aggro management, positioning, dps rotations, etc.

>>344180001
What makes him a faggot? Never seen the server before, but looked at the forum a bit and while it seems pretty dead I think it's a cool concept.

>>344180428
FFXI has like 10 expansions.

>>344180618
I appreciated the shitters, because without them you wouldn't have seemed so grand when you were doing well.
>>
>>344180752

>without them you wouldn't have seemed so grand

That goes for any MMO, though. You have people who play the group content and learn from it, and others who are still outrageously bad at endgame.
>>
>>344180197

I played a BRD and I was able to kite everything until the Marbolo dungeon at level 46. I even beat the rock boss by myself when every other player died.
>>
>>344180618

because there wasn't any information, XI in particular wasn't telling you shit. Eat that mithkabob. what does it do? fuck you i said eat it.

a lot of people stumbled through, slowly. a lot of people got carried. you ever see the people sat in town calling for help all day and never getting anywhere? a lot of them.

other people were smart and active and arranged to meet with people they found leveling, they talked and researched shit.

and everyone is working in a lateral system, not hard tiered like WoW, so all these people of different knowledge levels and dedication, they all end up in the same place anyway. the badass vet is still coming to sky 5 years later because he wants his fucking crimson pants, and the same time some scrub is there for the first time ever because they heard of something called "kitty pants" that they just have to own, they sound cute after all.
>>
File: ffxi_2011.04.04_12.18.47.png (848 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
ffxi_2011.04.04_12.18.47.png
848 KB, 1680x1050
I miss certain aspects of XI sorely. Traveling somewhere was an adventure by itself: different kinds of aggro (sight, smell, hearing, blood) kept you on your toes, dancing around enemies' aggro radii which you learned from experience. The price of failure was steep.

In contrast, FFXIV has no incentive for travel. The first time you make it one zone over by foot, you reach an aetheryte and never have to pad it again. Even without a chocobo, monsters have such short leashes it doesn't matter.

There is no incentive whatsoever to be in a zone that poses a threat to you. Being within the level range guarantees you can solo all the content with ease, and if you're too low you are locked out of it. Because Quests are the only reward-givers outside of dungeons, you just don't need to be there unless you can click that Golden "!".

You're never compromised. There is no threat. The survival/exploration aspect was erased, along with any incentive or need to be adventuring with a friend.

The above is a small, small fraction of what I miss from XI. It has plenty more that was good - and no small amount of unpleasantries either. XIV sidestepped some of those unpleasantries, but at such a cost. I play XIV off and on, but always wish it was more than it was.
>>
>>344178720
which server are you on? if youre on a dead one you may wanna make a mew character on a less dead one or transfer off. i felt the same way but i tried to join more parties in pf and linkshells.

now i have lots of friends i can talk to and do stuff with. we can even atay in contact outside of ff via phone apps. playong other games too

but yea which server are you on? thats a good way to start making friends.
>>
>>344181115

Have you actually done any of the dungeons solo? Or do you think stealing aggro for a second or two and not dying amounts to 'soloing'?
>>
File: ScreenShot_20160707135955.png (680 KB, 959x750) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot_20160707135955.png
680 KB, 959x750
>ywn find a FFXI cutie online and then meetup in person and fall in love
why even live ?
watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWx7M4tgzXg
>>
>>344176161
>you will never stand around in Port jeuno waiting to outparse everyone as polearm samurai in limbus ever again
>>
How long before you guys think it will be kill? Wanna play the single player story before it dies and I know a gimped mobile version is planned.
>>
>>344181593
I switched to balmung because I was on a dead server. Lot's of players but no one even talks.

>>344182063
It'll be a while. They still have like 10 or 15 servers with 500+ players. I wish they'd merge everything onto one fucking server already.
>>
>>344179921
nowi love ffxiv

but holy moly THIS. the whole "youre th chosen one" shit does not belong in mmos. the story itself is cool but the player should not be the center of attention, espcially since it doesnt make any SENSE. HOW can a world full of people all be the chosen ones? i hate that shit
>>
>>344181670

Did you not read my post? I was able to complete bosses and mobs when everyone else died up until level 46. So yes, I did.
>>
>>344178087
What do they sell?
>>
>>344181893

My friend met his GF on Ragnarok Online. Ended up moving to a whole other state just to live with her. Then she broke up with him after about 5 years and he killed himself.

Don't seek out love in an MMO or your life will become a real life MMO.
>>
>>344176161
Final Fantasy XIV.
>>
>>344181893
I had a group of in-game friends that I was in an LS with for maybe 3 years and the leader and one of the members got married and I think have a kid now.

The leader's brother also came out as being gay after years of giving this other gay guy shit and degrading him about it all the time.

Pretty weird how it all worked out for them. Haven't talked to them in a while though because the wife was and probably still is kind of a bitch and it only got worse when they got married and she decided everyone had to bow down to her.
>>
>>344182505

Having "everyone else" is not solo, anon. being able to wipe up stay mobs or bosses at 20% isn't 'soloing'.
>>
>>344182635

I think your words will fall on deaf ears, since the sort of people who seek out 'love' in an online game tend to be grasping to life by a thread of naive hope and once that's shattered they off themselves.
>>
>>344176946
>>admiration of your peers
>>there will never be another game where you are amazed by the gear put together by a person and consider them the best player in the game to be respected and looked up to

I remember wanting to camp Ose and roped in a LS friend who just came back who only then played casually, oh boy...

He rocked up as WAR/NIN, decked out in full adaberk dual wielding a Ridll and Joytoy... jesus christ all I wanted was an Assault Jerkin for my DRG.
>>
>>344182724

When you start a dungeon, the tank ragequits, DPS keeps dying and healer doesn't heal, you're pretty much playing on your own. You can't queue into a dungeon alone as far as I remember. But I had plenty of chances to see my team get destroyed and I was the only one who stayed alive.
>>
>>344182635
>Don't seek out love in an MMO or your life will become a real life MMO.

what did you mean by this ?

>>344182723
that sounds awful. I had to some engaging relationships on their too, met some pretty neat people. Some weirdos in the PlayOnline chatrooms as well. Gay people in their and stuff
>>
>>344182635
jesus christ I'm sorry man
>>
>>344176946
>>344176946

>there will never be another game where you are amazed by the gear put together by a person and consider them the best player in the game to be respected and looked up to

I'll never forget playing SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) and seeing a Jedi for the first time Pre-CU.... EVERYONE would stop when you heard a lightsaber ignite because it was so rare and awesome to see someone like that in game.

I worked my ASS off and unlocked Jedi... it was the best feeling I ever had in a video game...

The fact that everyone HAS to get the same shit and there is no magic like this anymore hurts me deeply....
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-28+at+12.31.52).jpg (113 KB, 293x634) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-28+at+12.31.52).jpg
113 KB, 293x634
>>344182208
>balmung
>>
>>344183089

In a case where the other players contribute ABSOLUTELY NOTHING as in 0 DPS and 0 heals, then okay you are playing solo.

That isn't what happened though, so you're full of shit. There's no fucking way you could solo Cutter's cry. The first boss would wreck your shit if you tried to 'kite' them.
>>
Does FFXI still require a monthly subscription?
>>
>>344183393

My friend spent a year unlocking Jedi. Then literally 2-3 days later, they implemented the combat update. And now he won't ever play another MMO.
>>
>>344183072

a g.axe from the auction house would be better for a WAR but still, toys are nice.
>>
>>344183393
Yeah, I know that feeling.

>>344183472
I just went with the most populated server. What would you recommend?

>>344183478
Yeah
>>
>>344182208

>Lot's of players but no one even talks

Whaaat? Plenty of people talk. Hell most times I have to turn shit off because they won't just shut the FUCK up for more than 5 minutes. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>344183473

Think what you want. But I was still able to do a great deal of the dungeons before level 46 with half or all of my teammates dying.
>>
>>344176161
I fucking miss this game

It's weird knowing that the story is essentially lost as well; no new generations can experience it unless they bother to traipse through youtube
>>
>>344183667
Where at? I was in limsa and NO ONE was saying shit.
>>
>>344177515

Can't say I agree, Wildstar was already too post-WOW compromised as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>344183889

i dont know what they told you, but they were lying
>>
File: 1356518249428.jpg (77 KB, 565x800) Image search: [Google]
1356518249428.jpg
77 KB, 565x800
I think after lots of years of subbing off and on and reflection, there are three main points FFXI hits that I want replicated in another game:

>Nothing is "grinding" or "tutorial", all EXP gain is gated content that is testing your ability to cooperate with other players.

>Customizing your class with subclass, merits and horizontal gear progression

>Improvising endgame strategies based on the fact that since even "tank" and "healer" classes don't overlap exactly, you will almost never have the optimal tools to deal with an encounter and must make due with what you have
>>
File: 1345655962201.gif (2 MB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1345655962201.gif
2 MB, 300x250
>>344182723
>That awkward moment where the married LS leaders have a domestic in front of everyone and storm off, leaving us in Eldieme Necropolis
>>
>>344181423
>There is no incentive whatsoever to be in a zone that poses a threat to you.

FFXIV has no threats, you can run around the highest level zone you can find right out the gate and avoid danger with careful use of the Sprint action
>>
>>344184160
>Eldieme Necropolis

what an awful place

>oh you wanted this coordinate but you didn't come via KRT? :^)
>>
File: hoarse-laughter.jpg (261 KB, 1389x944) Image search: [Google]
hoarse-laughter.jpg
261 KB, 1389x944
>>344184160
>>
>>344183754

I'm saying with 100% certainly you wouldn't be able to do any dungeon absolutely solo. Okay MAYBE the first 4 but after that you'd die from lack of heals.

And you can most certainly queue for dungeons solo. But the point is that if you have 2-3 people soaking up damage/dishing it out and handling mechanics before you manage to get any attention then that's not soloing.
>>
>>344183596
Gilgamesh is the other heavily populated server. It's just a little less homo than Balmung, but there are tons of people on it.
>>
File: mithracosplay.jpg (91 KB, 602x402) Image search: [Google]
mithracosplay.jpg
91 KB, 602x402
>>344181893
>tfw a girl will never dress as a Mithra for you
>even if she did she wouldn't understand the significance of the lore

Having played an MMO for years is kind of like growing up in a country that only other players can relate to you about.
>>
>>344176161
FFXI is only two years older than WoW
>>
>>344183957

Linkshells, FC - you know, the places people usually talk.
>>
>>344183393
>>344183524

I was a Jedi that had been around for a while (on Corbantis, we lived on Talus I believe it was) I remember "training" (Helping new CU jedis grind XP) and one of the lower jedis came on the mic and said "omg dude look at this link someone just put on the forums"

.....it was a link outlining the NGE.... some of the younglings almost started crying because they worked there ass off in the village to get jedi then saw the NGE....it was legit sad and I felt bad for them...
>>
>>344176161
Gameplay was boring as fuck.
>>
FFXIV isn't posible solo but it might as well be:

You queue for a dungeon, the game assembles an optimal party based around the fact that all Tank/Healer/DPS roles are interchangeable (they play differently, but can all DO the same things). The dungeon and enemies have gimmicks you are expected to have read up on beforehand. You are matched with people who aren't even from your server that you will probably never see again. Everyone focuses on doing their own rotation and unless someone falls asleep at the wheel the dungeon goes fine because you are an optimal party setup using a tried-and-true wiki enforced strategy. Then you part ways. I reached endgame and did all the new content released for endgame for about a year, probably 90% of my dungeon experiences had everyone completely silent.
>>
>>344177929
Bad shit about FFXI
>Grind was TOO much
>Like you couldn't solo, you just could NOT, even at a very slow pace, unless you were Beastmaster or Red Mage
>Aggro was balls to the wall; shit would follow you to the fucking zone line, attacking you the entire time (and zones were BIG in FFXI)
>Unintuitive menus e.g. scrolling through the magic list to get to Firaga IV
>Relatively slow moving (slow run speed, slow attack animations, slow menus, slow loading) not bad considering how many people were all connected and very little of it was instanced
>End- and even mid-game became very gear-focused; if you didn't have a certain piece of armour or a spell (which could be 1mil + at the auction house) you were literally unviable and no one would allow you to join the leveling party
>Later jobs were shit with too much overlap and not enough self sufficiency
>They dropped the ball on Aldo
>Not much in the way of customization (Pick a race, pick one of eight faces, pick a height)
>Item storage
>PlayOnline was such a piece of shit, it really needed an instant launch option instead of a shitty launch client which no one used for anything other than to go directly into the game
>Characters are deleted after 1 year of inactivity

Good shit
>God tier story
>No, shut the fuck up the story is GOD TIER, so many fucking twists and turns, so much happens, so much depends on you and at the same time doesn't
>GOD tier music (Sanctuary of Zi'Tah, Ronfaure, etc)
>Initial classes and advanced jobs were all incredibly diverse and actually needed to work together in a good, fun way (i.e. attacker has no defense, tank can't heal himself, etc)
>Very good armour design and range
>Very good weapon design and range
>Very good art style, incredibly high consistency and consistent quality
>God tier communications systems and organization of menu mechanics
>The best Auction House in any game that has ever existed ever
>God tier characters
>Absolutely fucking bazillions of quests and missions
>>
>>344184160

Oh god I'm sorry, I just laughed out loud imagining that.

Must have been a special brand of awkward.
>>
>>344184804

For better and worse, depending on who you ask, it's a generation later in development ethos.

Like it or hate it (like I do) but WoW literally was a generation jump for the genre.
>>
>>344182208
About how long is "a while"?

At least 2 years?
>>
>>344185373

Some food for thought. Everything you complained about as far as menus and character movement speed goes. You're taking about a game that was designed to be played on ps2 and supports dial-up. When you take that into consideration it's not so bad. That and the fact that ffxi was literally being ran on an emulator of sorts when it was ported to pc says a lot too.
>>
>>344185330

So 10% of them weren't complete silent? Your data center must be full of chatterboxes or something, senpai.
>>
>>344185373

2 things

>>>Aggro was balls to the wall; shit would follow you to the fucking zone line

I'll never forgot "Goblin trains"

>PlayOnline was such a piece of shit, it really needed an instant launch option instead of a shitty launch client which no one used for anything other than to go directly into the game

I literally cant see the words Playonline without hearing the mother fucking music.... I got FF11 the day it came out... having to download rise of the Zilart on fucking DIAL UP took all night... (i live in the country in KY so we had shit internet for a long time)
>>
>tfw my old PC from 2005 that I used to play FFXI on has been gone for almost 5 years now
>tfw all my screenshots are forever gone
>tfw I don't even remember my playonline login or ID (last played in 2009).

I miss this game so damn much. Nothing else like it honestly, the atmosphere, the music, the playerbase and the lore were all very well done.

The game obviously had some issues with grinding, but that was kinda part of the experience. Last I heard you can basically solo everything in the game now, but there's no way I'm ever playing it again. Game turned me into a very shitty / bitter person that I don't wish to become again. Damn near consumed my entire life for 5 years...
>>
>>344185373
You could get around the menus with Macros, but that also took time setting them up.
>>
>>344186368
Ah that fucking music.

I remember, this was back in 2006 or so I think, I was downloading a massive update after re-installing the game on a new computer, and I accidentally shutdown the computer and had to start all over again after like 6 hours of downloading bullshit. Fuck Playonline...
>>
>>344186368
One good thing I can say about Playonline is that it had a killer soundtrack.
>>
>>344186191
It's true.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come off as complaining. I actually think they were fucking INCREDIBLY well designed; I memorized everything very quickly at the time and played for 5+ years. I played FFXIV for like one week and, despite being shit, I appreciated that the menus and a lot of stuff were faster. It's not a problem until it comes to battle; I remember having to scroll menus to cast important spells - which is why macros were so important.

I fucking loved this game though, perhaps more than any other.

>>344186368
>"Goblin trains"
I never thought I'd say I miss Valkurm, but I do.
>I literally cant see the words Playonline without hearing the mother fucking music
I still remember spending HOURS customizing my one; I went through every single avatar painstakingly choosing them, the music and the background. They made it out to be like this bustling hub when it was actually a complete pain in the ass no one ever used except during maintenance.
>>
I'm really interested in trying this game but 40 bucks is too steep for something I'm merely curious about. I wish there was at least a free trial.
>>
>>344185373
Menus were pretty bad, but honestly if you didn't have separate macros for each jobset with a macro for each spell, you were playing FFXI wrong. I agree with most of your other points though.
>>
>>344185373
>grind was TOO much
There wasn't a grind though, it just didn't hand you things instantly. Leveling could (and should have) been done in small bursts so that you could keep up with gear progression and obtaining endgear stuff was mostly RNG because some people got things their first day with the group while others waited years.

I liked that aspect.

>Couldn't solo
You could if you knew what to do, you just couldn't solo anything in the game which again is a good thing.

>scrolling through menus
You could place your spells in any order you wished and most of the things you used often should have been macro'd anyways.

>certain armor or spell
You should have had certain things, if not you would fuck up the party for everyone.

I agree with the rest mostly.

>>344185884
I'd say at least 2 years depending on how fast the population dwindles. They'd merge more servers before they shut it down.

>>344186368
>>344186564
>>344186603
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkVv4pJqNc

DING A DING A DONG
>>
>>344184158

Pretty much. This is what made ffxi interesting. There was never one set in stone way of doing something. That and while there was and still is best in slot items, the items that you get are situational for those particular slots most of the time.

Gearswapping for different skills and actions and having to hunt down items and build your class up was really satisfying. There was never really a time in ffxi where I had all of the best stuff. The closest I ever was to having the best stuff was when I had an aegis on my pld but I was still missing ochain and a burtgang.
>>
>>344186671
You can get it on sale for $20 with all of the expansions AND 30 free days. Just look out for when it's that cheap on either Steam or SE's online store.
>>
>Final Fantasy XI modified slightly to be single player
>but with Souls-style online play
>You can solo most enemies but you have to git gud
>You can summon other players if you're at the right place/right time
>Not so much focus on level but you can still level down

Would you play it?
>>
>>344185373
>characters are deleted after one year of inactivity
Where are you getting this from? SE will literally reactivate characters from a decade ago.
>>
>>344185373
>>End- and even mid-game became very gear-focused; if you didn't have a certain piece of armour or a spell (which could be 1mil + at the auction house) you were literally unviable and no one would allow you to join the leveling party

I would rather have this than the modern gear-treadmill approach where my newbie character can waltz into the new expansion town and purchase gear from a vendor that in every way outshines the ancient relics my friend spent months collecting.
>>
>>344186984
You underestimate my frugality.
>>
Reminder that if you're interested in giving FFXI a shot, play on Asura
It's the most populated server by far
>>
>>344186815
You have just nuked me with nostalgia

send help
>>
>>344186967
I quit playing shortly after wings, came back for abyssea, then quit again when they launched seekers.

ALL THAT GEAR YOU WORKED HARD ON FOR 10 YEARS? HEHE! FUCK IT! HERES THIS NEW SHIT YOU CAN GET IN A WEEK AND IT BEATS IT! OH AND EVERYONE GETS IT! OH AND IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT!
>>
>>344177515
Name 1 (one.)
>>
File: 1445413170352.png (31 KB, 148x128) Image search: [Google]
1445413170352.png
31 KB, 148x128
>>344187172
Try mooching it off someone when it's on sale, then. It is kind of strange that there isn't a free trial for the game, though.
>>
>>344186989
>single player

ha no fuck off casual
>>
>>344187215
>FINISH HIM!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we8IzS0qy3s
>>
File: mithtaru.jpg (58 KB, 660x760) Image search: [Google]
mithtaru.jpg
58 KB, 660x760
>>344187265
Abyssea is the only update that did that, and I admit that it was shitty, but everything you collect after seekers is useful just like the old system was. Plus most essential pieces of gear from the old days can be upgraded to make them viable in a post-Seekers world

I'd say making all a player's gear obsolete ONCE in the game's history is better than modern MMOs which do it literally every update
>>
>>344184158
>Improvising endgame strategies based on the fact that since even "tank" and "healer" classes don't overlap exactly, you will almost never have the optimal tools to deal with an encounter and must make due with what you have
Oh my god you said it so well; THIS is what makes it good!

The game doesn't give you perfect counters to anything; no one KNEW how to beat Behemoth or Fafnir or Absolute Virtue other than just fucking throwing yourself at them. Some bosses had periods where you stand somewhere or do something or whatever, but more or less it was a "deal with it or die" sort of game, and that was fucking amazing.

I still remember my fight against the Shadow Lord. We were doing great until he went into melee immune mode, and he killed four out of the six team members - I was the dark knight - I used Blood Weapon to try and finish him, he was at like 3% - and when finished, I was fucking just standing there in orange HP with nothing left to give...

Then out of nowhere this fucking nuclear bomb DESTROYS him at the last possible second. Turns out the WHITE MAGE of all characters dealt the finishing blow with practically the ONLY offensive spell she had! She also happened to be my sister
>>
>>344186815

I really like MMOs with RNG drops. I don't care if it's illogical that a wolf would have a ring of fire resistance on them - I want to be leveling and have a chance to strike something awesome.
>>
Chains of Promathia > Treasures of Aht Urhgan > Rhapsodies of Vana'diel > Wings of the Goddess > Seekers of Adoulin > Rise of the Zilart
>>
The day FFXI truly shuts down will be a day I am really fucking sad. I mean I haven't played it in 7 years, but I always wanted to hop back on my old character and play again before it shuts down finally...

I hope they do some kind of free event for a week before it shuts down so that all the old players can come back, log on and say goodbye for one last time...
>>
>>344187706
XI isn't hurp durp though. It was all about specific camping spots. If you wanted something awesome you needed to camp someplace with an NM that could drop something awesome.
>>
>>344187029
I didn't know that. Interesting.

>>344187123
Yeah true, it wasn't SO bad but I spent a LONG time saving up for a Haubergeon which at the time was this random armour that became super popular out of nowhere and if you didn't know a Blacksmith or had a shitton of gil you were just fucked. Plenty of other online games have the same problem ten times worse.
>>
>>344187775
CoP was definitely best. I never finished ToA though and I can't speak for the others.
>>
>>344187829
Obviously it's not shutting down now, but you do know they've been doing those free logins for the past year or so, right?
>>
>>344187915

Oh.

Well that can be okay too but I like it when trash mobs can have nice items as well.
>>
>>344179645
Do private servers like this has many people? I know some of the old game private servers like Lineage2 or RO that could reach 5k+ players, does FFXI also has that much players?
>>
>>344187418
Ronfaure theme literally brings me to tears

I love that place more than my real life hometown
>>
>>344187919
What I liked about FFXI was that you didn't have to upgrade your armor every few months. Once you got the best piece it usually lasted you for 90% of the game's life. It could be a pain saving up if you didn't have a good way to earn gil, but once you had it you were mostly set.
>>
>>344176161
Ragnarok Online
>>
>>344188012
No, I haven't followed FFXI in years...

I posted earlier in the thread, I lost all my playonline info from almost a decade ago. I don't even have the credit card #s or anything that I used to pay for the service to recover my account. I don't really feel like doing it anyways, my character wasn't even at end game or anything, highest level I made it to was 68, but most of my jobs were in the 50s and 60s.

Besides, I really don't want to start playing this game again, I'll get addicted to it like I was in the past. It's like fucking crack.
>>
>>344188026
That's because you like hurp durp games.
>>
>>344187978
The ending of ToAU was amazing
If you ever decide to give XI a shot again, I definitely recommend playing through all the storylines that you never got a chance to play
They're all pretty good honestly
>>
>>344188026
>>344187915
Actually, they have a chest drop system where you can find rare equipment from random mobs and some pretty good normal leveling gear as well. Not sure when exactly it was added, but it helped a lot when leveling a new character and leveling jobs. Did I mention it drops really nice rare items, such as spells and weapons?
>>
>>344188223
That's a good point. And it was worth it to save shit for level caps, too.

Remember the original Promyvion?

Dark Souls has absolutely NOTHING on vanilla Promyvion.
>>
>>344187594
I'm just glad they settled on an item level cap of 119
Really not a fan of item levels and shit for that reason
>>
>>344188405
Oh yeah. That's was a little hurp durp, too.
>>
>>344188282

Ain't nothing wrong with hurp durp games. I doubt I'd have the time to sit around and camp a spot when I want to be leveling, but if I could get 1 or 2 nice items along the way to max level that's pretty cool.
>>
>>344188493
Oh god, there was always that one retarded party member that wandered off, aggroed a bunch of shit and died, forcing the entire party to figure out some way to revive that cocksucker, eventually leading to everyone getting wiped. The bosses weren't that bad from what I remember though.
>>
>>344187375
There's a free trial, but you still have to buy the game itself. You get a month of play time for free I believe.

I logged in last month because they had a free login campaign for 2 weeks. Everything was pretty dead so I jumped over to Asura, but I didn't know anyone so I just canceled the content ID again for now.

>>344187594
>Abyssea is the only update that did that
Abyssea wasn't even that bad, you still had to be on point with shit to get things done. I remember the first time we fought the mega boss in [A] La Theine, we had a whole alliance and it took us for fucking ever because no one had any gear yet and had no clue what the fuck it did. Most memorable thing about the fight was a Galka screaming in all caps in shout, "LET US KILL THIS MAJESTIC BEAST!!" as we ran in.

When seekers launched it turned my mandau (that I had worked my dick off for years for) into a fucking butter knife and all the gear that I had spent weeks gathering seals and shit to +2 on turned into a fucking ballerina costume. It was literally the worst thing I had ever had happen.

>>344188175
I feel the same way when I hear songs from zones I spent a lot of time in. Mhaura especially. Shit is depressing to listen to.

>>344187775
This is a correct tier list. ZM was fucking gay except for a handful of things.

I really liked the PLD questlines (job, AF, etc.)

>>344188493
>tfw original promyvion was hard but what was even worse was original fucking mammets
>>
File: wat.jpg (26 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
26 KB, 540x720
>>344187418
>Two and a half hours
>Hah! I'll just listen for one song
>ten minutes later
>>
No.
>>
File: 1458079710391.gif (499 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1458079710391.gif
499 KB, 500x281
>>344176161
>tfw there will never be another MMO like it
>>
>>344188698
I LOVED that

Back in the day people would just group together into an alliance of three parties and we'd help each other out as best we could, all walking SINGLE FUCKING FILE because if you aggro one of the big ones THE ENTIRE ALLIANCE WOULD WIPE TO THE ONE MOB

So you'd eventually make it to the boss and each party would go one by one

It was so awkward when your party is the only one of the three that wins and the other two wipe, specially because it teleports you out of the zone so you can't go back and revive them
>>
>>344188743
If you do want to play again and haven't already, you should join the /ffg/ LS on Asura. They're pretty alright people.
>>
>>344187775
>never finished Wings, Seekers, Treasures, nor Rhaps nor those 3 shantotto DLCs
>Played for 6 years
>still felt the game was in a class of its own
>>
>>344189060
>you should join the /ffg/ LS on Asura
Didn't that LS die?
Or did they just move to a new LS?
Last time I was on a couple months ago, the LS was literally dead
>>
>>344189060
Had no idea that /ffg/ even played XI.

I'll look into it for sure though.

>>344189029
>doing BCNMs and seeing 3 people plop down on the ground next to you while waiting to enter

WINGS OF FURY WHYYYYY
>>
File: cloudwheelchair.jpg (60 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
cloudwheelchair.jpg
60 KB, 480x640
>never played FFXI because it came out at a time when I hated MMOs
>kind of want to try it since everyone and their mom says its better than FFXIV
>remember that /v/ recommendations have always been shit games when I went to try them
>rather just play DQX instead, but its not coming to the west
>>
Fuck I miss this game.
>>
>>344189324
I don't think too many people in it still play, but I didn't think it's actually completely dead yet. At least, I seriously hope not. Even if not a lot of people play regularly, it would be nice for some of us to play together every now and then whenever they have the free login periods.
>>
>>344189029
That's one thing I loved about original FFXI. Everything was an adventure, even just getting to your stupid camping spot to level. Even that time before you had a chocobo or airship license, just getting from town to town could be an ordeal.

Casuals couldn't deal though. They've destroyed in gaming from top to bottom. Fuck, what a cancer.
>>
>>344189280
I never finished a single expansion in XI and still I feel the exact same as you do
>>344189339
>tfw remember 2 houring a bat as BST in Wings of Fury
>the timer ran out with the bat still charmed and we failed
The shame was real
>>
>>344189459
It's not the same game it used to be when people actually leveled together. Now it's basically a solo game until endgame due to Trusts (NPC Party Members). At least they about tripled the normal EXP gain rate.
>>
POST AWESOME LITTLE SHIT IN FFXI

>if you ride the boat you have a chance of getting attacked by: a fucking kraken, an enemy necromancer pirate ship, fucking green penguins

>Dark Spark placed at the entrance of Castle Zvahl so everyone had to go get their AF gloves together

>Fei'Yin was a fucking amazing place to level your NPC and get treasure boxes at the same time because hardly anyone went there

>Maat fight - to break the final level cap you need to beat a guy using your job on equal footing

>The fucking crafting system was absolutely fucking insane

>All the secret shit in Delkfutt's Tower

>Giant bone structures across the entire planet's landscape are relevant to the story

>How shit Garrison was because after wave 2 it was just fucking relentless

>THAT ONE FUCKING QUEST which they placed really early on, for low levels; level capped at 20 and requires an alliance of 18 people to beat one monster - and there's three versions of it, one for each region. Was there anyone in the world who actually did all three?

>GARLAIGE FUCKING CITADEL. IF YOU CALL DOWN THE HOLES YOU GET RAPED BY BATS AND SERKET

>Riverne and the fucking DRAGONS LOOK OUT

>That bit at the top of Batallia Downs where you can see the fallout from...something... has completely scorched the cliffs and started crystallizing trees. No one in the game mentions this; this detail was put in and thousands of people never even saw it.
>>
>>344189732
I don't blame anyone who didn't finish an expansion patch. Least of all, CoP. Those were seriously, SERIOUSLY oppressive in difficulty but completing them with your LS mates created experiences that cannot be replicated with today's style of MMORPGs. So weird that many of my fondest memories in life came from playing an online RPG on my computer.
>>
Two words:

Ark Angels

If you did this quest, you understand. Completion of expansions or not, you get it.
>>
>>344189706
Yeah like I said I haven't been on in a couple months, but I eventually ended up moving LS's because I thought it was done-for
If it's also still alive, the LS I moved to was TwitchChat, which despite the name was a really active and helpful linkshell
>>
>>344189972
>Was there anyone in the world who actually did all three?

I know we did. Loved those things. Hell, even did all the later added escort missions.
>>
>>344189972
>The fucking crafting system was absolutely fucking insane
While I did like crafting system in XI, XIV (pre Dalamud anyway) did crafting much, much better. In a perfect world, classic style FFXI would still exist and it would use the crafting system from XIV.

XIV is an abysmal failure in all technical aspects (IMO) outside of the crafting system.
>>
>>344190195
All at once, you mean? Yeah nah. Nah. I don't care what the reward was. No way in hell I was going through the bs of getting the key items and then doing a buttfucking fight like that.
Nah™.
>>
>>344189972
>all that secret shit in delkfutt's tower
When I was around 60-65 PLD I made most of my big bucks farming enkelados for those level 50 STR bracelets.

No one fucking knew where to go, it was awesome.

>quest that needed an alliance level 20
ECO Warrior!

BRO! BROOOOO!!! I did that shit when I was on the xbox 360 beta, it was fucking fun. I remember I was a war/mnk and the whole alliance sucked my dick because I tanked it the entire fight and almost died a couple of times.

>fallout from... something
It's from the opening cutscene. The meteors that the tarus were casting did that.
>>
>>344190089

I'll never forget the first time we killed Proto-Omega.

Or those Kirin fights... I was always afraid I was under-performing, not pulling my weight... turned out I was doing 15% of ll Alliance damage. Without dying too, which is the real surprise for a DRK, but then everyone was doing a tight job, so it's more on them for that.

Fuck I miss the game and people. It's like the best part of my life is gone and it's never coming back.
>>
I'm doing it /v/ Fuck you guys. I want to play again the nostalgia is over-whelming.

I had two characters, one from 2004-2009 that I don't have the info for, and one that I played again in 2012 that I lost the security token for.

How can I recover the older account though? I have none of the old information including playonline ID or password / CD keys or anything.
>>
>>344190486
Unpopular opinion, but XIV 1.23 was shaping up to be a real solid MMO before it went and became WoW 2.0
>>
>>344190486
I want to like crafting in FFXI but it was kind of broken. Getting a crafting skill to cap meant putting in much, MUCH more money than you were ever expected to earn back. It took years for the skill to pay for itself
>>
>>344190717
>fallout from... something
>It's from the opening cutscene. The meteors that the tarus were casting did that.

Nah man I was being subtle. The fallout was from when the Zilart used the crags to try to open the gate of the gods, remember? It's why the whole area around Qufim island (or rather Delkfutt's Tower) is a fucking crater.
>>
File: grover.jpg (67 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
grover.jpg
67 KB, 500x375
>>344189972
>doing lvl 15 stuff in butthole flats
>random WHM casts Cure III and Pro II on you
>>
>>344190195

That fights was tight. Elvaan got us hard twice couldn't get her to fall fast enough, made dealing with the others hell.

Always volunteered to help after that first time. Just such an awesome fight.
>>
>>344189972
>>344191310
>One week into the game
>See guy standing around in town probably AFK wearing the absolute coolest fucking shit you've ever seen in your life
>Take screenshots
>He /waves
>Cum instantly
>Eventually become that job
>>
>>344176161
Dragon Quest X
>>
>>344191240
I really love how Final Fantasy as a series mixes magic and sci fi.

It was cool that there were all these layers to XI's lore, like how the modern people's creation myth is a mix of a corrupted understanding of the actual creation of the world, blended with a bunch of magic technological shenanigans of an ancient race
>>
EverQuest's 23rd expansion releases this year. The most recent server, Phinigel, is the highest population server in the history of the game.
>>
>>344190969
I would just start over. You can get to 80+ in like two days now. It's pretty great. 9/10 it's okay
>>
File: 1466293166198.gif (613 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
1466293166198.gif
613 KB, 295x221
>>344191316
That fucking Elvaan fight
I tried to solo to solo the hard version of that fight recently but I forgot how annoying it was
>tfw she literally stun locks you
>>
>>344191669

Nice. Hope they're having a grand time.
>>
File: timetodie.jpg (43 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
timetodie.jpg
43 KB, 450x600
>>344191639
>never ever
>>
>>344191639
I see people saying this game exists, but I don't think it does. Not sure why they'd go straight from DQIX to DQXI, though.
>>
>>344191639
People claim this all the time but no English speakers know enough about the game to articulate why
>>
>>344191672
Maybe for the old character, but I did have ~4 million gil on my old character. I don't know what the economy is like right now, but that was a lot back then.

My newer character I have done most of the story and have multiple lvl. 99 characters in abyssea +2 gear. Also did so many quests that I wouldn't have to do again. Really I just want the gil and just to look over my old character for nostalgia sake.
>>
>>344190920
>It's like the best part of my life is gone and it's never coming back.
My FFXI friends are all gone, my RL friends that played don't even talk to me anymore because we're all in different cities, I'm not in high school anymore, I have real bills now, I'll never experience all the quirks of teenage years, my family members are dead or dying now, everything sucks.

I'm doing fine for myself, married and job and all that. But still, part of me just aches when I think of those times.

>>344191240
Ah, I see. I had always assumed it was the tarus but now that I think about it you are right and that makes much more sense.

>>344190969
You can call them and look it up using your name and CC info (addresses, etc.) and birthday, email, etc.

>>344191536
>when I first started playing there was a taru paladin named Miypi who was basically the first taru on the server to hit 75 on paladin. She/he was a legend and after telling them that I wanted to be a paladin they took me under my wing and would help me out with all kinds of stuff.
>I remember my friends shock when she showed up to help us with a boss fight, "OMFG WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKK??? YOU KNOW HER!??"
>I eventually made it to 75
>was accepted into my dynamis LS, endgame LS, etc. because of her recommendation
>"Miypi trained you well!"
MIYPI I LOVED YOU!!! WHY DID IT HAVE TO ENDDDD!?

>>344192007
People have capped gil now, 4 mil is almost nothing. I have like 3 or 4 mil on my character and I don't even play. I'd be down for starting over with you just so I can experience it all again. I got pissed when they merged servers and I lost my name so I put in some random shit and now regret it because I can't change the name.
>>
File: Ark_Angels.jpg (41 KB, 967x561) Image search: [Google]
Ark_Angels.jpg
41 KB, 967x561
>>344190195
Ah I was trying to find the names of these guys. I never played FFXI, but they're just so ominous looking, I love it.
>>
>>344192007
>4 mil
A piece of some of good gear right now costs around 10 mil+
>>
>>344192504
Is money easier to make? I mean if I started new I don't want to put thousands of hours into the game to get up to speed.
>>
>>344192494
They were representations of the purely negative aspects of each individual race. XI had such a cool story.
>>
File: look forward to it.jpg (178 KB, 660x350) Image search: [Google]
look forward to it.jpg
178 KB, 660x350
>>344190985

Yoshi said he wanted it to be a WoW clone from the start. It was obvious the minute ARR came out. Later patches didn't make it WoW like.
>>
>>344187292
Wildstar
>>
>>344182586
I guess in the most recent update they have 2 bags that you can pay for monthly, adding a dollar per bag. Its awful and I can't for the life of me figure out why other than to milk what fans that remain.
>>
>>344192769
That's pretty fuckin' spooky. I feel like I've missed my chance to play, which is a shame because it looks so damn cool.
>>
>>344192905
>wildstar
>anything like that
>>
>>344191661
Promathia = Prometheus/
>>
>play FFXI
>have friend suggest LOTRO when it launched
>buy it
>see the hot bar
>"fuck this shit, it's just button mashing the same shit over and over"
>mfw every single fucking mmo out now is in this layout
Kill me.
>>
>>344192632
Yes and no
Right now if you're in +2 job specific Abyssea gear, you're both behind and ahead
The game has an item level system now with the highest level being 119, so you're not going to really be able to make any money until you get your item level up
However once you do, since you have your Abyssea gear +2'd, it makes updating it to the 119 variant all the easier
But again, in order to do that you're gonna need a job with a high enough item level to actually get the materials and stuff to upgrade it
>>
>>344193149
>every single MMO game is now an "action combat MMO" where you don't even have time to talk to people midst combat or doing things
I used to fucking draw whilist playing ragnarok online
what the fuck happened
>>
File: FFXIV_1346368845.jpg (304 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
FFXIV_1346368845.jpg
304 KB, 1280x800
>>344190985
I felt the same way. I had already gotten Legacy by that point and was really getting exited for the way things were shaping up. But alas.
>>
File: nervs.gif (980 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
nervs.gif
980 KB, 500x272
>>344190717
>ECO Warrior
>Gusgen Mines
>Haven't been there much
>The Alarm goes off
>>
>>344192828
Yoshi came onto the team well the launch, you know. He was not part of the WoW mode plan during the original beta.

So, yes, it did turn into WoW after a later (2.0) patch, poser.
>>
>the music came to an end and in between the next start up all you could hear was the breeze and the mobs and people walking
Holy fuck I get chills down my spine thinking about how relaxing that shit was.
>>
File: why.png (7 KB, 174x60) Image search: [Google]
why.png
7 KB, 174x60
>go for FFXIV expecting FFXI 2.0
>get disappointed
>go for tree of savior expecting trickster online fused with diablo or ragnarok
>disappointed
>play anything new
>disappointed
>just go back to fucking eons old games to the point where I've actually subscribed to the japanese ragnarok online
>despite not even being able to speak a fucking letter of moonrunes
>have a decently good time, parties everywhere
>this happens
I'm actually going insane at this point, I wouldn't look past the idea of starting to work on an MMO by myself at this point
>>
>>344187829
That won't be for a few years. There's tons of people still playing.
They did give it an ending, though.
With credits, and everything.
It's probably on youtube
>>
>>344193629

Vertainly the first iteration of XIV was a mess, but I really liked that it was trying to tke the genre into a different direction.

And I like a lot of the ideas, if not the execution.
>>
>>344179138

Plays like WoW, end game is spent afk in group finders, classes aren't distinct and feel boring to play.
>>
>>344191114
It very much was an investment, but if you played it right you could at least make a bit of money.

I remember I got a little bit into woodworking where I could make money with status bolts, but then the market shat out where it wasn't profitable after buying the materials.

It was pretty neat that practically every craft relied on each othe rthough.
>>
File: image.png (249 KB, 540x301) Image search: [Google]
image.png
249 KB, 540x301
>>344176161
Red Mage was a meme class and good for literally only one thing.

The actual best class in this game was Scholar and Bard followed by Black Mage. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: stein.png (278 KB, 565x569) Image search: [Google]
stein.png
278 KB, 565x569
>Get aggro'd by Easy Prey enemy
>Oh shit oh shit oh shit I'm completely fucked
>Manage to win
>>
>>344194646
Does gil still have 0 use in XIV? When I stopped playing ARR, the only use for it was for buying simple things from vendors. Think at one point it was even used for teleporting but other than that, you didn't even need gil to buy gear.
>>
>>344193879
What exactly did this alarm signify?
>>
>>344182315

That is a trend in general with modern MMOs, even when they don't emphasis your character as "the chosen one" they emphasis the focus on the individual.

Every MMO that comes out has to make every class look needlessly flashy cause everybody wants to look cool or some shit.

One of the biggest things that bothers me about FFXIV vs FFXI is how every skill you use is like a level 60 weapon skill from FFXI. I really don't need this overkill of skill effects going off and taking me out of the experience.

Yeah effects spam still happened in FFXI, but generally only in high level raid shit, not in every day leveling.

I just miss MMOs being about playing with other people, and not just *around* other people.
>>
>>344195000
>all opinions about the game come from versions of it that came about after the casualizations were set in motion
Yeah nah you can just off back to WoW, thanks.
>>
File: why is this allowed.png (17 KB, 468x468) Image search: [Google]
why is this allowed.png
17 KB, 468x468
Why is this allowed
>>
File: ScrollofTractor.png (38 KB, 366x72) Image search: [Google]
ScrollofTractor.png
38 KB, 366x72
>>344188698
Name ANY other MMO out there which has something similar to the Tractor spell.
>>
>>344195126
Gil is used mainly just to save time. Crafting and gathering classes are the only times I've needed to spend gil in order to level them because I couldn't be bothered leveling another class to 40 or something for components. The only other use I've found for gil is housing, but that's not still not much.
>>
>>344195278
Scholar was a more useful class than Red Mage at 75cap though.
>>
File: image.png (485 KB, 1024x719) Image search: [Google]
image.png
485 KB, 1024x719
>>344195294
>>344195294
>>344195294
>>
File: clp1118.jpg (87 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
clp1118.jpg
87 KB, 800x600
>Go to Gusgen Mines
>See this
wat do?
>>
>>344195135
I think it was a spooky ghost thing to signify a shift change over for the miners, whenever it went off all the ghosts of dead miners would appear.
>>
>>344182315
In FFXI, you were not the chosen one. The only 'chosen' ones were enemies. Players were just adventurers and nothing more. The more shit they did in the world, the higher their fame and rank would raise which would effect which people, nations or agencies would enlist them to carry out missions for them. It was very political in that respect.
>>
>>344195605
spook'd
>>
>>344195378
WoW's Death Knight class had some similar spells like one that exploded a corpse, would reanimate a KO'd party member as a zombie or something, and you could pull people towards you. I'm not even sure those skills are still in the game because they've been deemed too "toxic" or no longer "relevant" nowadays.
>>
>>344195605
>the story behind that area
>the NM ghosts with names that would sometimes grow in size
>the fucking siren

Everything about that place was creepy as fuck
>>
File: InstantWarp.jpg (8 KB, 366x54) Image search: [Google]
InstantWarp.jpg
8 KB, 366x54
>>344195605
>>
File: 1396267541798.jpg (309 KB, 800x736) Image search: [Google]
1396267541798.jpg
309 KB, 800x736
>>344189972
wasn't the fallout from when the one mothercrystal was fucked with by the Zilart like hundreds of years ago or whatever?

I swear I remember it being explained in a quest with this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07YqlcOOs5E as the bgm while it was explained.
>>
>>344195642
play rhapsodies.

You get hella mary sued there though it kinda gets overwritten by the fact that iroha knew the older wiser you. I liked the idea of having an apprentice though, I love stories that use the wise older character as the main protagonist.
>>
>>344195817
>Gusgen Mines
What was the story behind it?

All I remember was that civilians retreated there during the beast war thing or something, and it got flooded and they all drowned?
>>
>>344193886

>So, yes, it did turn into WoW after a later (2.0) patch, poser.
Hence why I cited ARR.

>pose
Wew lad. Pulling out those 30 year old memes sure told me.
>>
>>344195974
I had heard that Rhapsodies kinda shat all over everything.
>>
>>344176526
We can pray that Pantheon delivers, but who knows. Seems to be the only hope.
>>
File: tfw ffxi.jpg (12 KB, 535x29) Image search: [Google]
tfw ffxi.jpg
12 KB, 535x29
>>344194331
>tfw
>>
>>344195975
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gusgen_Mines
>>
>>344196043
>someone is talking about 1.23
>bring up nonsense about ARR
>implying FFXIV and ARR are not the same game with different version numbers, despite ARR literally being called XIV 2.0
Go away any time, bud.
>>
File: 867552675.jpg (66 KB, 642x362) Image search: [Google]
867552675.jpg
66 KB, 642x362
Best Battle Theme?
>Battle Theme #1
>Battle Theme #2
>Battle in the dungeon #1
>Battle in the dungeon #2
>Battle Theme #3 (RoZ)
>Battle in the dungeon #3 (RoZ)
>Onslaught (CoP)
>Clash of Standards (WotG)
>>
File: 2_09us.jpg (26 KB, 512x382) Image search: [Google]
2_09us.jpg
26 KB, 512x382
>Walking around desert
>See this
wat do?
>>
>>344196443
Fuck I totally forgot
>Mercenaries' Delight (ToAU)
>>
>>344196631
>stand inside
>nothing happens
>>
File: 1402585265634.gif (259 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1402585265634.gif
259 KB, 250x250
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA72nT3xuSY
>tfw first time entering this fight sounds effects weren't working
>just this music, nothing else
Indescribable feeling. Too bad I wiped I didn't realize she would have revived me had I just stayed put.
>>
>>344176946
>>344176526
have you considered, perhaps, that we now live in a time where virtual achievement is absolutely passe and that nobody truly cares about what others around them have, only if they can get it for themselves?
with the introduction of achievements in pretty much every gaming system that requires an account, and how MMOs have stepped away from multiplayer focus for outdoor content and placed more emphasis on a single-player experience, and with things like shooters all having progression systems, social achievement has been more or less done away with in games. It's now all about personal achievement, which people seem to now relish.
>>
I'm playing ARR for the first time now. Are there really only 3 cities and whatever low level areas that surround them?

I started in the desert and I can't explore because of story reasons I guess. I want to visit Gold Saucer but can't go there.
>>
>>344196724
my nigger
>>
>>344196443
Onslaught for sure
Followed by Breaking Ground if you count specific battle themes used for things
>>
File: 4320956367.jpg (13 KB, 512x382) Image search: [Google]
4320956367.jpg
13 KB, 512x382
>>344196631
>See this nigga steaming along
wat do?

Before you knew about his aggro rules
>>
>>344195972
I'm fairly sure it was from Crag of Vahzl exploding, thats why there is no crag up there.
>>
>>344196812
There's Ishgard for +50 and then Idyllshire later. Still, don't go into XIV expecting anything like XI.
>>
File: 402459668_00963c37d6_b.jpg (208 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
402459668_00963c37d6_b.jpg
208 KB, 1024x768
>>344196243
I fucking knew it was going to be that. fuck you
>>
>>344196443
Was always a fan of this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NmKpnPlMXc
Something about holding off 3 approaching armies as your cute C@girl general is cheering you on was always hype as fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrejacQVb3A

>mihli or teleportaru gets captured
>entire linkshell mobilizes 3 alliances to go save them ASAP

http://exhentai.org/g/258598/6b59689b5e/
>>
>>344183595
Actually, back before ToAU. Dualweilding on warrior with a Ridill was better than any G.Axe. This was back when 2handed scaling was the same or only a tiny bit better than 1handed, so having 2 one-handed weapons worked out for the better, all you needed to do was compensate for the lower skill level.
>>
>>344196908
Cast dia on him, his bitch ass won't do nothin' dawg.
>>
>>344196724
Slightly unrelated but
>Doing that one buffalo event one year
>Large group of people gather around it and start attacking it
>Somehow get aggro and get rammed
>Sent flying off to another zone

I thought it was the coolest shit the first time it happened to me
>>
>>344196443
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-JqoPIOpJw

Literally the best
>>
>>344197187
The 2 handed update came out after ToAU, for a long time ridill/joy on birds was the best thing out there. You would destroy those shits in merit parties. You would go 8/8 sword merits with a suppanomimi and be good to fucking go.

>>344197312
That and the fucking feast of swords event are the best things out. I swear to god when feast of swords came out and we figured out that you could stoneskin/protect IV yourself before sync'ing we lost our shit.
>>
File: CUTEEEEE.jpg (134 KB, 473x668) Image search: [Google]
CUTEEEEE.jpg
134 KB, 473x668
>>344197135
>that exh link
>>
File: RoMaeve_Planar_Rift.jpg (484 KB, 1232x693) Image search: [Google]
RoMaeve_Planar_Rift.jpg
484 KB, 1232x693
>The effect of Invisibility is about to wear off
>The effect of Invisibility is about to wear off
>
>
>Invisibility wore off!
>>
File: PLD_Down.png (273 KB, 567x361) Image search: [Google]
PLD_Down.png
273 KB, 567x361
>>344196443
I replaced the Aht Urgan region battle theme.
With this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgsFAqIxGwk

Fuck you. It was awesome.
>>
>>344176161

Everquest is eternal. FFXI though

>tfw crippling NM hunting addiction
>Leaping Lizzy 0/125

IT NEVER ENDS. Even if I could get muh friends to play with me on a private server, they'd drop the game since FFXI is one of those "quests give 0 XP" MMO's.
>>
For those of you interested in the ToAU story line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po4Ge6poew0&list=PLZHhMkXG6vo68MJYWcgKm2vpLhX7tmjPo&index=315

Whole story in order available to watch and remember. Cry yourselves to sleep tonight.
>>
>>344184662
>Having played an MMO for years is kind of like growing up in a country that only other players can relate to you about.

This is probably the most profoundly true statement I have ever head in relation to MMOs.

FFXI had it's own ethos, it's own ethics, it's own community and currency. It really was like an online country that a few people were lucky enough to have bought citizenship in.

I know FFXI mobile isn't going to be good (Nexon, god help us) but I'll still jump at the chance to see Vana'diel again. If only for a little while, or in short bursts.
>>
>>344194331
>>344196243
I didn't actually play Seekers of Adoulin or whatever the latest one was, but my sister did.

When I asked her what the ending was she told me that your character essentially fails to save the world and everyone dies, IN CANON.

Is that true? If so, I'm fucking glad I didn't play any further. I like the idea that my character got lost in time, thus justifying me playing as him in other games.
>>
>>344185373
You contradict yourself a lot in this post. A lot of your bad things I consider good, like old-style aggro, not being able to solo unless on a specific job, having to be geared to perform well in an XP party etc.

Some of your bad points I straight up disagree with. The menus were quite good actually, considering how many spells were in the game. LOTS of cusomisation. Combat was not slow in the slightest in Endgame with proper buffs.

I do agree with your on the POL stuff and item storage though.
>>
>back then you had to choose from a bunch of MMOs because there were so many of them that were good
>picked mabinogi and ragnarok because I really liked both
>missed out on FFXI
>now there isn't even barely any choices outside of what shitheap you want to swim trough
I don't know how to finish this post even
fuck?
shit?
I had a good time and I don't regret it one bit?
>>
File: cat sandwich.png (960 KB, 822x975) Image search: [Google]
cat sandwich.png
960 KB, 822x975
>>344177797
This is absolutely the case.
Classic MMOs were work simulators. Leveling up was a job. It took time and commitment. Once you got to the point you were a raider/MVPer/GvGer, you're with a bunch of other people doing the same thing and it becomes a fucking office setting. You're expected to come in every day and do your part. You get an earful for being late or not showing up(with the potential to be 'fired').

Classic MMOs were job simulators and modern ones still retain some of that. Face it, you're not the teenager you once were with infinite time to waste. Unless you're NEETing it up, you simply don't have time to invest in a classic-style MMO - and so the genre had to change.

When it changes again with the advent of VR, I do not expect it to become more like classic MMOs. I expect it to become even more casual friendly.
>>
>>344178818

>difficult content produces some of the most anti-social tendencies (elitism, drama, limits who you spend your time with).

As someone who stole a Ridill and hopped a server to leave my sins behind, this is true.

Also, botters @ Lord of Onzozo
>>
>>344195972
Yeah, the event is one in the same.

They built the crags to connect to Delkfutt's Tower to power the gate opening. It caused Vazhl's crag to explode, the land around Qufim to shatter and shittons of fallout to mutate some creatures.
>>
>>344176161
Reminder that FFXI doesn't have this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 80

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.