[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Risen 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11
File: Risen3 2016-07-06 22-16-51-64.jpg (389 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-07-06 22-16-51-64.jpg
389 KB, 1920x1080
>be Voodoo Pirate
>can curse, mind control, possess, send insect swarms at foes, drain their life, reanimate them as your undead minions
>can go on pirate adventures and explore islands while accompanied by your literal titty monster sister for fat loot
>can turn into fabulous red parrot and fly around exploring all sorts of vertical terrain for secrets
Why didn't you tell me Risen 3 was so much fun, /v/?
Clearly the most polished Piranha Bytes game by miles, Gothic 2 just can't compete with this much fun
>>
>>344152114
>Risen 3
Any other fun things to do in the game you would recommend?
>>
Because it has flaws like invisibile walls and is just too easy with all those powers
>>
>>344152114
I always had the opinion that Risen 3 was quite decent, especially compared to risen 2.
>>
File: Risen3 2016-06-30 13-55-06-01.jpg (348 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-06-30 13-55-06-01.jpg
348 KB, 1920x1080
>>344155403
>Because it has flaws like invisibile walls
The invisible walls are usually at the very top end of the map though. You can still explore most of it and the game has far more verticality than any other PB games,especially since you get to fly as a parrot.
> is just too easy with all those powers
Well yeah, only because for ONCE PB made a combat system that's not obviously balanced towards human 1v1 while they constantly throw you 4+ enemies at once, including multiple unblockable creatures with stunlocking attacks. Magic also finally isn't literal >craft one gorillion mana potions so you can actually kill more than 3 enemies before resting with pure mage.
And fucking finally all factions get access to their own unique magic spells.
The combat is only nowhere near as """""""hard"""""" as other PB games because they finally made a fluid system where the mechanics are actually in your favor such as *gasp* a fucking dodge roll mechanic with i-frames.
>>344155452
It's obviously their most polished game. I feel like 2 of the islands have maps that are bigger than the entire Risen island.

>>344153897
Well the magic spells change depending on your faction. Demon Hunter is more of a fighter/spellcaster while Voodoo Pirate has curses, control and debuffs, Guardians being the classic dps mage with some utility spells.
All factions support pure mage though since they all get melee attack replacers. All have healing, Guardian is the only one that doesn't get a summon/minions but has more aoe spells.
Pure melee is pretty viable though too because as I said, the melee combat system FINALLY supports fighting multiple foes at once without the use of utter cheese or having to delay it until very high levels
>>
>>344156029
>It's obviously their most polished game
does it really matter? The gameplay is fundamentally inferior. The combat is generally just not as smart and reactive as risen 1.
Also things like the seamonster bosses are not polished.
>>
>>344156029

While i agree with that.

>The story is shit - Even worse than Risen 2s
>The endboss is shit
>Sea battles are pretty lame and repetitive and you wish they would be over after you have done one of them
>The tutorial of Risen 3 is one of the worst i have ever seen
>The single islands while being beautiful and well designed lack connections.

The last is my biggest issue. You have one island that is just ''Dude remember Risen 2? Here is more of that'' and ''Dude remember Risen?'' and ''Hey do you remember Gothic?''

It felt like they tried to pander to every single part of their fanbase but the result is messy.
>>
File: Risen3 2016-07-05 23-01-51-71.jpg (249 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-07-05 23-01-51-71.jpg
249 KB, 1920x1080
>>344156509
I'll give that the sea monster battles are useless trash.
But frankly the combat is far more enjoyable in Risen 3 than 1. Magic being loads of fun especially.
And it IS reactive. The attack and defense sequences are still in. A lot of enemies get staggered with a simple melee attack while the bigger ones need a power attack. If you attack the enemy during its attack sequence you risk getting hit. If you are surrounded by foes you usually have to stagger most of them by switching between targets based on their actions and sequences. If you plan on the higher difficulty dodging loses its i-frames so you have to make better use of blocking as you won't be able to dodge in a row.
>>
>>344156828
What's bad about the tutorial though?
You start with enough skills to easily handle most enemies, it explains everything, and for once there's a decent reason in a PB game as to why you start as a level 1 peasant farmer
Yeah the sea battles are boring shit.
How would the islands be connected though? I mean... they are fucking islands.
I'll agree the story isn't exactly special, but isn't that same for all PB games? They usually go for humour with pretty average stories about you having to defeat some evil that just showed up
>>
>>344156859
>If you plan on the higher difficulty dodging loses its i-frames

what the fuck, are you for real?
that is like removing I frames in Bayonetta on NSIC
or removing jump I frames on DMD in DMC
or removing the dodge ability in Dragon's Dogma for the knife wielding classes on hard.
>>
>>344152114
Risen 3?
TRISEN!
>>
Only good Piranha Bytes game was Gothic 2 Night of the Raven, if you take off the nostalgia glasses Gothic 1 is terribly outdated shit.

Gothic 3 on the other side looked good for year 2006 ( TWO THOUSAND SIX ) but was unplayable glitch fest with no story line whatsoever, it was a fucking tech demo for NVIDIA.

Forsaken Gods are not worth mentioning.

Risen 1 suffered same flaws as Gothic 3, it was just bit more polished and it had some new landscape, otherwise the story was same old shit "YOU ARE THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE AND YOU MUST SAVE THE WORLD!"

Risen 2 and Risen 3 were just meh, Risen 2 was so bland and Risen 3 running on same engine was just cash grab that used ideas and stuff they couldn't fit in budget of Risen 2.

Elex won't be any better.
>>
>>344152114
>accompanied by your literal titty monster sister

1) I need pictures
2) can you motorboat said sister's monster titties
3) PICTURES
>>
>>344157295
The tutorial is telling you exactly how do shit which is not my thing at all. Risen 1 did it well by telling you at the start how to use stuff without throwing you into the story out of nowhere.

You have on tropical Island and a few miles away you already get into mediterranean and central european climate zones. Not to mention that it really relies on fanservice on all fronts. The Risen island has a monastry and you meet your old Risen buddies there. The Gothic Island is a meetup for tough people and you get to meet Moe and your favorite farmer again. Not to mention all those creatures that are straight out of Gothic. And Risen 2s island brings you back into Risen 2 again with its tropical fauna, native people and voodoo pirates.

This however is only like that because Deep Silver forced Piranha Bytes to do it. They wanted to make Risen 3 one single united world again but they couldn't because Deep Silver originally wanted to release the game in episodes like Telltale TWD.
>>
>>344156859
>But frankly the combat is far more enjoyable in Risen 3 than 1
You are objectively wrong. Literally kill yourself.

Risen 1 had the best action RPG system ever devised by man:
>parry move has a very narrow angle, so you have to actually aim it ayour enemy, when fighting multiple foes
>best dodge system ever, since dodging backwards gives you no frame advantage, so you have to dodge sideways to actually perform a counter, but dodging sideways gives you no invulnerability frames, so you have to carefully watch the enemy when he performs lateral strikes, as you cannot dodge INTO his attack trajectory, like you can in Souls games
>4 attack directions that need to be input manually: straight, lateral left, lateral right and a qucik parry/attack move
>3 of those attack directions have 2 combos each that consist of a succession of 3 strikes, each direction has a different combo
>you can string custom combos by combining any of those moves in a way you want to produce unique combos
>enemy can do the same, so you cannot just dodge the moment you see an enemy swing, you have to see the trajectory

TL;DR: Risen 1 is the ONLY ARPG out there, where you need to watch not only when the enemy performs an attack to dodge/parry, but you need to see its trajectory as well to dodge and counter effectively.

Risen 2 and 3 simplified this amazing system to shit.
>>
>>344157357
There are 4 difficulty settings, you only lose the i-frames on dodge on the Ultra difficulty, it also adds a potion cooldown. I'm pretty sure it was added in a patch to calm the cries of gothic autists claiming dodging made the game too easy.
It can be kinda annoying but it's doable as staggering enemies isn't hard with some strategy and you can block > roll without getting hit. Dodging charges and shit will usually end up with you getting hit though so you have to block first.
If anything they needed to add a successive dodge limit like in Bayo instead of this because most enemies are way fast in the game so the i-frames are indeed nice
>>344157747
I'll say the combat against 1v1 human enemy is great s always. However it still suffers from the same usual PB cancer in that it's still clunky shit when fighting against more than 1 human enemy which is what most battles of the game are
Also magic is boring, literally the same SPAM ONE SINGLE MAGIC MISSILE LIKE SPELL AGAIN AND AGAIN from Gothic 2 and 3
>>
File: Risen3 2016-07-04 21-28-46-47.jpg (188 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-07-04 21-28-46-47.jpg
188 KB, 1920x1080
>>344157714
>>
>>344158038
There's nothing clunky about Risen 1 combat when you have to fight multiple humanoids by yourself, it's just balls to the wall hard, because, unlike Souls games, enemies DO NOT attack you one by one most of the time, they can easily swarm you and just keep swinging giving you almost no chance to get a counter in. Yes, this is hard, but it's how combat against multiple enemies IRL is - it's not supposed to be fair. You can switch targets very fast in Risen 1 and as long as you have ample space to maneuver, you can still win against shitloads of enemies without taking a hit, if you're good.
>>
>>344157747
That's bullshit. Later in the game you can just precharge your moves to kill most enemies while backing away anyway.
>>
>>344158319
The problem is that it forces you to fight multiple foes alone, which never made any sort of sense. So yeah it's only hard for the sake of being hard.
>it's not supposed to be fair
Just like anyone that's not mentally challenged isn't supposed to fight hordes of foes alone. Why exactly are you denied the opportunity to get a companion or heck even hire a merc in an isnland full of money grubbers?
Risen 3 at least gives you a companion from the start.
>>
>>344158412
>you can just precharge your moves
That's a fancy description for a power attack you have there.

> Later in the game you can kill most enemies while backing away anyway.

Later in the game the fastest way to kill enemies is to perform a well time sidestep and counter with a combo than ends in a power attack. Moving backwards is a waste of time.
>>
I wanted to like this game but it's just too fucking shit. All the quests are ass, the gameplay is ass, I don't even remember the fucking story it was so goddamn generic, the pirate aspect really isn't as cool as it should be. It's just not good. Risen 1 is seriously leaps and bounds better and Risen 1 is a mediocre game.
>>
>>344152114

Because the world was way too tiny, they managed to come up with some neat ideas but then squished everything into small islands.

The story was garbage and the voice acting sub par, they made combat more enjoyable than 1 and 2 but it became far too easy later in the game.
>>
>>344158730
>That's a fancy description for a power attack you have there.
I played it like a year ago, I only remember being able to hold button for more powerful attacks.
>Later in the game the fastest way to kill enemies is to perform a well time sidestep and counter with a combo than ends in a power attack. Moving backwards is a waste of time.
I am sure sidesteps work well with multiple enemies. I also remember the amazing combat system allowing you to just parry to win against any human enemy since the attacks had long enough wind ups.
>>
>>344158319
>it's how combat against multiple enemies IRL is - it's not supposed to be fair.
Then just like real life, I'll avoid those situations by not playing the game
>>
File: Risen3 2016-07-05 11-14-41-65.jpg (246 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-07-05 11-14-41-65.jpg
246 KB, 1920x1080
>>344158826
>Because the world was way too tiny,
Isn't it the biggest outside of Gothic 3?

>small islands.
The islands aren't exactly small. Some even have underground or cave levels where you would think the map would end or be blocked, also vertical levels.

>The story was garbage
I'd say it was average. Just like all PB games

>voice acting sub par
I never really got this complaint about the Risen series. It's mostly decent in 3
>>
>>344158189
Wow she really is a titty monster.
>>
>>344159050
>Isn't it the biggest outside of Gothic 3?
If you count the water passages between the islands that you never visit.
>>
File: risen 3 patty.jpg (124 KB, 836x926) Image search: [Google]
risen 3 patty.jpg
124 KB, 836x926
>>344159093
They appear bigger from the front
>>
>>344158901
>parry to win against any human enemy
Nothing wrong with that.

>attacks had long enough wind ups
Attacks in RIsen 1 are significantly less telegraphed than in any souls game and parrying on reaction is significantly harder, so there's nothing wrong with them as well.
>>
File: Risen3 2016-06-30 17-36-25-63.jpg (197 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-06-30 17-36-25-63.jpg
197 KB, 1920x1080
There are also some lines that let you bully Patty
>>
>>344159617
Patty being your sister was the dumbest thing they ever did. I wanted to tap that slut after all the shit she put me through in Risen 1.
>>
>>344159691
Patty was a mistake.

>acts like Gothic 2 Grek in all of Risen
>in Risen 2 she is just tsundere for you the entire way
>and in Risen 3 she suddenly got massive tits and you are a brother

And even with you being a complete stranger to her she is super nice to at times like you have been brother and sister for your whole life.
>>
File: plot changes.jpg (185 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
plot changes.jpg
185 KB, 1280x1024
>>344159869
I'm guessing it's implied in 3 that you had some adventures prior to the game started.
It just feels weird because Risen 3 guy is not the same guy from Risen 1 and 2.
It was all for better plot though
>>
>>344159492
Parrying on reaction in Risen is easy enough. You can do every arena quest underleveled and equipped. It's pretty much one big reaction time test which is hella primitive as a game mechanics. Even in Souls parrying is actually harder since you have parry frames active somewhere mid animation and it's more about timing that just reacting to the enemy raising his hand.

I don't even understand the super defensive souls comparison out of nowhere. Risen 1 system is really nothing special. Even if you really want some hipster melee combat without many iframes and the like you can point to God Hand or Way of The Samurai which are both better and probably easily take away "best dodge system ever" title.
>>
File: Risen3 2016-07-06 22-25-03-95.jpg (255 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-07-06 22-25-03-95.jpg
255 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>344160740
>PB say Greg from Gothic and Gregorious from Risen are not the same person
>Risen apocalpyse happens because the gods left the world which is a thing that happens in the last Gothic game
>Margoloth in Risen 3 even says they left because their artifacts got destroyed which is EXACTLY what happend in Gothic 3

PB: ''But is it?''
>>
>>344152114
I played it and enjoyed somewhat, just like every PB game, but fuck me if I remember what was the plot about. Same with Risen 2. Titans something? I couldn't force myself to care.
>>
Wish I could enjoy Risen, but fuck me I hate the setting so much. Greek is just about the only mediterranean inspired type of setting I can stomach.
>>
File: Risen3 2016-07-06 22-28-43-40.jpg (193 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-07-06 22-28-43-40.jpg
193 KB, 1920x1080
>>344160974
But the real question is
>>
>>344161543
>Are you dead longer if you die earlier?
What kind of question is this? Of course you are, assuming you were born at the same time in both cases, and the universe will exist for the same amount of time.
>>
>>344161543
Holy shit that looks like an interesting conversation. I didn't expect a flesh monster to be in a setting like that either
Is he the final boss?
>>
>>344160974
>PB: ''But is it?''
translation
>We don't want to make another Gothic ever again, leave us alone already.
>>
>>344162186
Recently they said they are scared of making one because of the high expactations.

Guess they are aware that its near impossible for them to pull off something on G2 level again.
>>
File: Risen3 2016-07-06 22-33-10-93.jpg (351 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Risen3 2016-07-06 22-33-10-93.jpg
351 KB, 1920x1080
>>344161904
No, it's just a super ancient female spider broodmother like creature that's constantly birthing new spider eggs through those fleshy tubes
Good because I reanimated all dem spideys with voodoo all and made them fight her in the boss battle

>>344162278
Elex has some potential. Although the fact they seem to have the magic faction as druid hippie bullshit is alarming
At least Risen 3 got it right by giving different magic to all factions
>>
>>344162278
Which is funny, because those "high expectations" would be to cut back on what they are so hell bent on doing, meaning creating increasingly bigger worlds, even more factions, etc.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.