[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's your game going? Wanted to get into making games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83
File: engines ready.png (53 KB, 890x400) Image search: [Google]
engines ready.png
53 KB, 890x400
How's your game going?

Wanted to get into making games but knot know where to start?

Experinace game dev with advice to share?

Ideas you'd like to see people explore in a game they're making?

Share it all!
>>
It's going bad.
Real life kinda kicked in and made my life a misery these past few weeks. I think I might've now gotten over it, and can start again my desperate struggle to get my game properly started.

I've been working on some 3D models for my game. Planning to use Unity, because it's simple, free, and has huge community that spews out all free and cheap assets & plugins I can utilize to compensate for my own personal, game-development related flaws (namely being a shitty coder).
>>
File: trapping.png (498 KB, 1295x820) Image search: [Google]
trapping.png
498 KB, 1295x820
Personally I'm working on a pokemon-like game for PC. The aim is to make all the developments pokemon should have been making all these years instead of remaking the same game over and over again.

Trapping is separate from random battles and is a timed button press mechanic akin to the Rythm heaven games.
>>
>>344142692
What are your models looking like? What kind of game did you want to make?
>>
File: breakablewallsladders.webm (957 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
breakablewallsladders.webm
957 KB, 640x360
Pretty good.

Got breakable walls and ladders in.
>>
File: muh model - safe.jpg (318 KB, 1918x854) Image search: [Google]
muh model - safe.jpg
318 KB, 1918x854
>>344142786
>What are your models looking like?
Like pic related. Going for more stylized, almost cartoony looks, with some on purpose more detailed bits, all which would be seen in a custom made cel-shaded form in the game. This all's just straight out of 3Dmax.

Also got some weapons, vehicles, etc done.

>What kind of game did you want to make?
fast-paced, quite arcade-y 3rd person shooter, with a co-op feature, and way more colorful & cheery atmosphere than in most games today.
>>
>>344143443

That art is really nice, do you have any more characters designed that are going into the game?
>>
File: Project Ayylmao5.jpg (224 KB, 1406x775) Image search: [Google]
Project Ayylmao5.jpg
224 KB, 1406x775
Anyone ever done modular set pieces for environments before? I think I'm doing alright and I'm learning as I go, but is there any tips or advice from anyone who's done this that they think might help down the track?
>>
File: 3918692-5035642936-dmc-d.jpg (49 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
3918692-5035642936-dmc-d.jpg
49 KB, 600x337
>>344143579
donte?
>>
>>344143579
how did you make the texture of that coat? did you do that with projection painting?
>>
File: 1340833171295.png (88 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1340833171295.png
88 KB, 480x480
>>344143443
>>
>>344143954
oh boy are you in for a treat, video below is my favorite video tutorial of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0mANzeuUk
>>
>>344144041
Thanks.
I'm not too worried, I'm mostly just doing it for suburban home interiors which shouldn't get too complex. Maybe flying saucer interiors too.
>>
>>344143697
Nope, nothing yet. Programmer and I are just getting the main character finished up first.
>>344143995
|w @;;;
>>
>>344143579
manlets when will they learn?
>>
File: the-jacket---safe.gif (335 KB, 819x819) Image search: [Google]
the-jacket---safe.gif
335 KB, 819x819
>>344143960
Hadn't actually made that connection.
At least personality wise, the char's a total opposite to Donte. More closer to DMC1 & 3 Dante though.

>>344143972
I used my own jacket as an inspiration and main source.
Took some photos, imported and touched them into Photoshop, and then spent π^2 tweaking, painting, cloning and moving things around.

It's not even meant to be 1:1 copy of the real thing, or even be a realistic jacket in the first place. Rather, it works as a way to make the character's silhouette more distinct from the others, and hopefully will also move in flashy ways in the game, assuming I can attach the "tail physics" to its sleeves and collar.

The thing looks pretty nice with normals and specular on. I'm still debating if I should just bake it all in and offer this "oldschool" graphics mode in the game, where everything's just one flat texture.

>>344144517
the shot makes him look way more like a midget than it is in the editor, I give you that. The long jacket also seems to give that kind of impression; it's a separated entity, with almost fully modeled body underneath. The proportions are not meant to be 100% realistic in the first place, with more focus being given to heads, hands and legs. That being said, the measures are still within "correct" limits.
>>
>>344143954
yeah i did, its a pain in the arse.

just help yourself with maya units.. and use a good number of them, like 8 in lenght, so you can easily do pieces long half and pieces long 1/4 of that.

good luck!
>>
>>344143954
That shit's very annoying to get right, unless you got grid-lock feature in the editor, and very carefully measured 3D assets.

I'm personally planning to use the Unity's ProBuilder tool for my maps, as it gives me the more "oldschool" method of creating the levels, modelling them up in the editor itself. I might have to use some modular elements together with painted environments for certain more organic areas though.
>>
File: Capture3.png (1 MB, 1279x706) Image search: [Google]
Capture3.png
1 MB, 1279x706
>>344142307
are environment practice work shit allowed here?
>>344143954
It's pretty simple. My level up there is based off modular shit. Your goal is to have a lot of variation with as little pieces as possible.

make a cube or use the grid to get a very specific default size. Make default size be like 1 wall piece. Make all the pieces like regular wall, door, window, floor, ceiling all based off that one size. Goal is to get it all snap together seamlessly.

You can half it and quad it to get smaller pieces like pillars or panels.

Make some trims and boards you can use to create different props, eg ceiling pillars, support pillars or so you can clip them mostly through the wall to create trims.

As for props make variations, eg if you have a box, make the box and lid separate so you can have more variation wether you have the lid on or not. Or stuff like gratings and such, you can create one intact one and then one damaged one and you allready have lots to work with.

As for texturing, once you get the hang of basic stuff, you can make a few sets of base textures that have separate sections for walls and trims and details and such, map materials to different faces and you can pretty much texture the entire level using 5 textures.
Some tuts:
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments
>>
>>344145084

Why the fuck would anyone use inches fro anything? No wonder you had a hard time! :D
>>
File: webm.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
webm.webm
3 MB, 640x360
it's not coming along very terribly i guess
feedback welcome
>>344142307
>Experinace
good gracious
>>
>>344145689
Hahahahaha yeah, i meant 8 maya unit lenght, sorry. :D
>>
File: modularue4.jpg (366 KB, 1919x987) Image search: [Google]
modularue4.jpg
366 KB, 1919x987
>>344145084
It's honestly not that bad once you stick with it.
Snapping together shit like it aint no thang and building a city from 10 blocks in 30 minutes feels great
>>
>>344142307
>Experinace game dev with advice to share?
Stick to one project at a time. Finish it before starting another.
Start small. Do NOT overwhelm yourself by planning out a huge game that will take years.
Don't make useless tutorial stuff. Start working on your game immediately, and learn as you go on. Focus on one task at a time, look up tutorials on how to do it, and when you finish it, either move on to the next task or take a break.
>>
>>344145832
cute characters/10
>>
>>344145832
That actually looks great. qt as fuck. Post more if you have.
>>
>>344142702
>developments pokemon should have been making all these years
>im adding pointless annoying minigames between actions that are already bordering on tedious...
>>
File: Project Ayylmao chunks.jpg (213 KB, 1405x775) Image search: [Google]
Project Ayylmao chunks.jpg
213 KB, 1405x775
>>344145084
>>344145395
I'm keeping it very simple. If you take the default square in Blender, it's the perfect size to fit into Unity, it takes up four block spaces. So Every chunk I make, I build around that default square dimensions. And for everything I edit, I ult predefined Crtl snap sizes, to make sure everything will always fit and follow consistent measurements. Doing it this way, all I have to do to put them together Unity is hold down Ctrl, and they'll slip right into place flawlessly.
It helps that I'm using a simple art-style, so geometry doesn't need to get complicated.
>>
>>344146287
Top left piece is useless, it's literally made from pieces next to it. You have no need to attatch floors to walls as it limits the use. Rightmost piece is useless as well since it's just made from small door and piece next to it.
You can do all these shapes from two middle shapes you have there + floorpiece.

Don't make too complicated modular pieces as it is a time waster and can't do as many different things with them.
>>
>>344146287
protip: Hold v to snap vertices in untiy3d.
>>
>>344142702
Do you have a blog?
>>
File: 289.gif (2 MB, 471x312) Image search: [Google]
289.gif
2 MB, 471x312
I'm trying to put more time into it lately and it's coming along pretty smoothly. Loads of little bugs need fixing, but I have a solid general framework laid out now.
>>
>>344145994
This.

One thing I could add, as an amateur dev though, is that be aware of the development process slowing down towards the end. It's easy and quick to make assets and throw in them for tests and such, but when you need to start to create working levels, maybe add brand new gameplay feats, etc, things tend to slow down to a crawl. This also tends to be the point when most developers tend to get bored of the project and drop it altogether.

I'd suggest making a very fine-detail plan for your game project. A full game-design document would be preferred. Start listing things that absolutely NEED to be in the game for it to work, the heart idea of the game itself. Then list the secondary things that would greatly enhance the experience, and then the pretty optional stuff that'd just be nice to have. Broke these elements into smaller parts, and start working on the very important elements first. This way you'll have plenty of "milestones" for you to achieve, and you feel like you're progressing somewhere each time one part is done.

Finally: test your game, nonstop! Preferably with other people, even better if it's with people with no experience with said kind of games. Just sat them down with your game, and shut up. Observe what they do, and after the test session, ask them stuff like "why did you do this and that then".
>>
>>344145832
Post twitter
>>
>>344146460
Some of the addition bits are temporary, I'm using them for reference.
>>
File: webm2.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
webm2.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>344146106
>>344146159
thanks
i have two other weapons, but no hitboxes yet; camera is severely lacking in fx too right now
>>
File: 1465542011741.gif (70 KB, 450x500) Image search: [Google]
1465542011741.gif
70 KB, 450x500
>what started off as being idiots in a parking lot ended with me finding an artist and someone to make music for my game
What a silly world we live in
Anyway, I'm making a SHMUP with a focus on co-op with any number of players
>>
>>344146854
>>344146670
i'll start using twitter and other stuff when i get further along with the game, it's in very early stage right now
>>
>>344143443
Is that dog wearing a diaper?
>>
File: battle.jpg (151 KB, 1069x681) Image search: [Google]
battle.jpg
151 KB, 1069x681
>>344146251

Ok it was pretty dumb to post this part of the game while saying 'what Pokemon should do' lol.

It's the one thing in the game that was purposely made to make it different from pokes.

Also changing the battles to be more like paper mario/stick of truth with timed button presses for attacks, so the button bash minigame for trapping ties in with a timed button press mechanic that runs though the game, hopefully in time to music.

>>344146568
no dev blog yet, but the my partner that drew this has a twitter: https://twitter.com/Iffykins
>>
>>344146854
That boomerang looks perfectly dumb. 10/10
>>344146961
Mang, people love shit in the early stages. That means they can be hipster and like it before it was cool.
People loved my early development.
>>
>>344146667
>“ The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time. ”

t. some programmer guy

This also applies to development in general, not just code
>>
>>344147260
wait, after trainers run out of dudes you get to fuck them up, too?
>>
>>344147458
yeah! trainers have their own moves they can use on monsters, and you also gain XP and level up yourself.

Some monsters can also teach you moves if you train with them long enough.

It will also be possible to do a no-mon run, where it's just you solo beating the shit out of everyone's precious little babies.
>>
>>344147335
thanks
aight, i'll think it over then
>>
>>344147787
But how will I find you?
>>
>>344147850
i hang around /v/ gamedev threads
maybe i'll go to /agdg/ too
>>
>>344147976
>maybe i'll go to /agdg/ too
I wouldn't recommend that.
>>
>>344148062
yeah i lurked there for a longer while and let's say it tends to be a special kind of experience
>>
I'm giving it a shot.

I found enough tutorials on how to make a 2D game in Unity but decided I should start at the bottom and learn some C# so I have been doing for a little bit now.

Only problem is I feel like I'm not learning so much as I am copying something. I don't understand why things go where they do or when I should use them.
>>
File: 1467713645965.png (15 KB, 201x183) Image search: [Google]
1467713645965.png
15 KB, 201x183
Working on extending the second level a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jiii7CBqvc
>>
>>344149052
I strongly recommend this tutorial series:

http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/c-sharp-tutorials
>>
>>344149052
>I don't understand why things go where they do or when I should use them.
this is why instead of starting with tutorials of a specific language, I'd instead recommend starting with some more theoretical studies about programming in general. At first this means literally just playing with Flowcharts, with simple Yes / No / If / Else branches... you know, the very basics of the basic. After that, you could try to look up some beginner's guides to C, because both C++ and C# are pretty much rooted to it even now. Follow that with C++ beginner guides so you learn about the object-oriented coding, and finally C#, which should be super simple in comparison.

You could also check if the visual programming, aka Blueprints, would be of any help. There's some assets for Unity that allow you to script things with simple drag & drop, connect boxes style, very much like people do in UE these days.
>>
File: sjv004004.gif (2 MB, 441x275) Image search: [Google]
sjv004004.gif
2 MB, 441x275
Working on putting a simple level together for a demo day.

Didn't have time to finish everything I wanted. But they can be put in later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcQllS-jreY
>>
>>344147746
>It will also be possible to do a no-mon run, where it's just you solo beating the shit out of everyone's precious little babies
Shit, I never even knew I wanted this. I was the kind of 8 year old who soloed everything with my starter, maybe this would be right up my alley
>>
>>344142307
It's coming along nicely actually, even though I just started learning Java yesterday. I used to study it in midschool, and remembered that I still had a project with a socket server open, and since I had hardship making a p2p server in C++, I figured I try this now.

Took me 3 hours to set up the server, I've been working on the game since then, about 15 hours all in all.

It's going to be a team based clicker/idle game. It's simple enough to be a good "catching up on the language" project, but interesting enough to make me want to work on it.

The idea is that the player can get scrolls by clicking, and open rifts with them. The rifts are essentially public (or private, if the player set so) rooms where other players can enter, and click. The rifts in themselves would grant bonuses, and unique drops*, and provide a chance for the next tier scroll to drop, then so on with the next rift. I want there to be guild and alliance exclusive rifts with drops* excolusive to them.

*Drops are basic and advanced currency, arifacts that provide bonuses to the game and scrolls. Minor artifacts may give +1 +20 +1000 to clicking, major ones may grant a buff to all players in a rift, and some combination may be required for unique drops. Right, and artifacts drop at quality levels. 60% to be normal, 20% to have +50% bonus, so on. Obviously rr and prestige system too.

That is the plan so far.

The client-server communication, data storage for users and basic artifact system is done. Next up will be buildings for non-click production (though I'm not sure I want to have non-click production at all yet), then scrolls and rifts. I should add upgrades at some point, that would work the same as artifacts, but buyable instead drops.

Wish me luck to see it through all.
>>
>>344143443
The work of one who consorts with beasts!
>>
>>344142307

is br dev here?
sorry i didn't get to answer your question last time, but yes, i have some experience with development
>>
>>344149376

Thanks, I'll definitely run through this one.

>>344149473

I should've known I wasn't really starting at the bottom. I guess I'll look into C and C++ beginner courses as well then, but I'm surprised how many places offer C# up as a starting point since it is just an extension.

I'm going to look into the visual programming as well but I definitely want to become at least proficient in C# before actually starting the game.
>>
>>344150313
Ha, this makes me feel good! I want to reward all sorts of things like this.

When I first got Pokemon red, I didn't actually know what 'run' was. I never wanted to waste a turn that I could attack with, on 'going for a run' (no joke). So I went through the entire game fighting every single battle.
>>
>>344151207
>I'm surprised how many places offer C# up as a starting point since it is just an extension.
That's because it's so relatively simple language, and also quite popular in gaming circles these days, partly thanks to MS driving it forward with their now dead XNA program few years ago.

As someone with experience with most languages out there, C# can be said to be like a hybrid of C++ and Java. It has its own trash-collector feature (unused data is automatically removed from memory if not accessed in a while), and overall things are designed to be simple to write and memorize.
>>
File: TutFish1_x3.gif (15 KB, 255x135) Image search: [Google]
TutFish1_x3.gif
15 KB, 255x135
Currently working on the first tutorial video (of what I intend to make a series) on how I draw pixels.

First episode will be on drawing and animating a little fish like this, in a matter of minutes.
It shouldn't require much artistic skills, or anything.

Will post it here once it's done:
http://theonian.tumblr.com/
>>
File: SmallFish2_x3.gif (14 KB, 198x108) Image search: [Google]
SmallFish2_x3.gif
14 KB, 198x108
>>344151837
>>
I'm having major issues on rigging my model. please provide a lengthy tutorial on proper rigging.

>>344151837
also sprite, man. will follow your tuts.
>>
File: _x3.gif (16 KB, 264x150) Image search: [Google]
_x3.gif
16 KB, 264x150
>>344151905
>>
File: fightervsflak.webm (663 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
fightervsflak.webm
663 KB, 1600x900
I'm almost done redoing the UI; then I can get back to actually adding new things.
>>
>>344151837
so every time someone tells you your shit looks blurry and weird, what do you even do about that thought
>>
File: Trees_HAPPYNOW.png (36 KB, 582x488) Image search: [Google]
Trees_HAPPYNOW.png
36 KB, 582x488
>>344151942
Thanks!

First episode will be the most "difficult" kind of stuff I'll be teaching, but it's still going to be done by a very mechanical step-by-step approach, and even non-artists should (probably) be able to follow.
And if you can replicate that, you'll be able to replicate literally anything else I can do.

The next episodes will be on very much simpler tricks and techniques, though.
So don't despair if you find the fish tutorial too hard yet.

Will also be very happy to hear how you people find the tutorials. I believe I'm making it very simple and easy to understand, but I might be mistaken.
>>
>>344151942
whats the trouble my man?
i only work using blender, so idk if i can help, but i have some experience with rigging
>>
>>344151546

Yeah I remember reading something about its similarities to Java, but on a couple of the tutorials I looked into people were implying that Java was kind of being pushed out by C# so that cemented my decision to pick it up.

By the way what level of proficiency would you recommend before moving on from C to C++, and then to C#?

Thanks for the advice given as well. It's really helpful.
>>
>>344152242
Cannot check out your shit right now, but the images posted made me interested. So keep it up Anon!
>>
>>344152321
Not that Anon, but you shoud move onto C++ as soon as you can. I immediately started at that after getting the basic gist of C. There are even basic methods I don't know how to properly use because I don't need them anymore. (for example I rather use cin and cout that printf and scanf).
>>
File: water_stonewall1_test.png (159 KB, 659x429) Image search: [Google]
water_stonewall1_test.png
159 KB, 659x429
>>344152082
That's one autismal guy (you?).
I replied the first five times, but I don't see any reason to continue repeating myself.

Here, one last time, I'll make an exception:
>it looks blurry, I don't like it
I intentionally blend colours to get smooth surfaces and transitions between different parts of a sprite or a scene.
I understand that it might not be to everyone's taste, but that's what I enjoy.
Feel free to dislike it and ignore it.
>>
>>344145832
>>344146854
You're doing it right.

>>344143443
You're doing it wrong. Unless your game isn't for an audience beyond "murr I wanna yiff that", in which case you're doing it right. Well, by doing it right in this case I suppose I mean you're gonna grab your intended demographic based solely on the character's design.
>>
File: Inventory_newTest1_x2.png (65 KB, 1242x960) Image search: [Google]
Inventory_newTest1_x2.png
65 KB, 1242x960
>>344152361
Will do, thanks!

Video is not up yet, though.
Will have it uploaded by the end of this week, I think.
The next tutorial will follow a few days after that one.
>>
>>344152615
>diaper
>literal shit everywhere
>solely character's design
open your eyes
>>
>>344152723
I'm not saying the design is good

I'm saying the people his game is for are gonna eat that up.
>>
>>344152518
first time I've said it myself but I've seen you brush it off from other people plenty of times
I'd say learn to draw but I think it's more fitting that you never do and continue to make your shit look shitty
>>
>>344151207
You don't need c before c++. C isnt object oriented so its pretty much useless unless programming shaders for open gl
>>
>>344152723
This is a clean metroidvania game aimed at Zootopia fans, anon. Please take your fetishes elsewhere.
>>
>>344153194
Then why does everything look like a log of shit?
>>
>>344153046

What's the problem here? His stuff just looks like itself-- why are you ragging on him for 'lrn 2 draw'? the stuff looks nice for what he's aiming to create.

sounds like you're taking this a bit personally. Are you out off by the work seeming confident?

you: 'shut up you aren't that good!'

them: 'I never said I was?'
>>
>install unity yesterday
>try to find tutorials to learn
>fucking vids only (which i dont like to learn things)
>though of making a shmup since that would be easy without much thinking involved
>have 0 idea of everything, can't even make a menu
>>
File: sprite animation test.gif (39 KB, 134x174) Image search: [Google]
sprite animation test.gif
39 KB, 134x174
>>344142307

I just made a sprite animation.

Everything is going slooooow as hell and my wageslave job isn't helping me one bit.
>>
>>344153473
if you find unity too hard to use you should just give up now
it was 10 times harder before when you actually had to program games yourself without a tutorial telling you how yet people still managed to do it
>>
>>344143443
as much as i hate furry shit i have to say nice character graphics, they look 100% much better than all that indie "old skool looking{" shit
>>
My game's doing okay atm.

It's about beavers.

Getting rammed.

By thick logs.
>>
>>344153473
Unity is not difficult to learn. Please give up and stop posting about useless you are, there are people here who actually care and have actually put in the hours needed to learn the basics and beyond.
>>
>>344153597
i found unreal engine easier to make maps but hey
>>344153782
well if there were tutorials that aren't shits vids i wouldn't be saying that, but sure thing troll
>>
>>344153075
>C isnt object oriented so its pretty much useless unless programming shaders for open gl

I disagree. C is a small and simple language and it can help understand basic programming concepts without having to worry about all the extra complexity that C++ (or C#).

Also, you seem to be implying that object-oriented programming is a some sort be-all and end-all programming paradigm. Even if you do all your programming in an object oriented language, I think it can be very useful to have some experience in other paradigms. If you've done some procedural or functional programming you may come up with better solutions for some problems than someone who only thinks in an object oriented way.

>>344151546
>It has its own trash-collector feature (unused data is automatically removed from memory if not accessed in a while)

I hope that's just an intentional oversimplification and you don't actually think that's how garbage collection works
>>
>>344142307
Where do I start developing games? Please answer.
>>
>>344154259
Download Unity/UDK/GameMaker and start going through some beginner tutorials
>>
>>344154324
>udk
unreal engine 4
>>
>>344153473
Why are you making a menu? I thought you said you're making a shmup.
>>
>>344154259
In your mind.
>>
>>344154259
In school math class.
>>
>>344153262
You're mom looks like a log of shit
>>
Anyone make orchestral Zelda-ish music?
>>
Unity or Unreal?
>>
>>344155521
Do you prefer C# or C++? If you know neither, I'd say Unity
>>
>>344155521
Unreal is objectively the better engine, Unity has much better documentation, tutorials and help online
>>
>>344155521
try both, see what you like
>>
I'm a big time programmer and artist with a big budget. The only thing I'm missing is ideas. Where can I hire an idea guy? Preferably he should have no experience (fresh ideas), be uncompromising in his vision (confident, bonus points if he insists on an incredibly difficult to program feature to implement that adds little to the game), and expect the vast majority of the credit (high self esteem).

Anyone know where I can find someone like that? Idea guys are really hard to find.
>>
>>344155510
What you need, senpai?

My stuff sounds more like the total annihilation soundtrack than Zelda but I can switch it up
>>
>>344155905

Shit, I WISH I was an idea guy. I've spent years building skills in the hope of working with someone like you. Maybe I should re-evaluate.
>>
Does anyone in here enjoy making sing-song music? Like the musical episodes of simpsons/futrama? Wanted to have some characters break out in song in a game as you play through a level.
>>
>>344155905

whoa pls hire me, i have over 5k hours in warcraft, and i read a lot of manga, i don't have any experience with game development, and i don't have any skill on art, or coding, but i constantly watch let's plays, so i know a thing or two about ideas. i'd love to see the characters that i made up come to life, pls mail me

[email protected]
>>
>>344155905
I have an idea for an amazing game and I've been looking for some programmers and artists who could help me out. I can let you in my team and you will get 20% of the profits when the game is published.

I hope you have experience in network coding, because it's going to be an open world MMOFPS
>>
>>344156249
>>344156310
Man those are some tempting offers but what I really think I need is someone who has a degree in game theory. At least Masters. At the very least a degree in game design would be good.
>>
>>344146625
you draw those textures in mspaint? It actually looks decent.
>>
>>344155905
San Fran
>>
File: asdf.png (69 KB, 322x340) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
69 KB, 322x340
>>344156825

>tfw i'm actually getting a degree in digital games next semester

don't do it guys, its not worth it
>>
>>344156225
interesting, I barely see any games with sung-songs that don't just happen as either background music or the credits theme.

As for your question, I personally enjoy it but I've barely written anything, just a couple songs. Just curious, what's the purpose of your characters singing mid-level?
>>
File: 1456778426944.jpg (16 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1456778426944.jpg
16 KB, 256x256
>tfw enjoying creating systems and engines more than actual games
>never even get to content creation
>>
>>344157458
Are you me?
>>
File: 1466244463373.jpg (32 KB, 353x475) Image search: [Google]
1466244463373.jpg
32 KB, 353x475
>>344157562
Dopplegangers get out
>>
>>344157762
>make chatbot
>most things work
>can only make it better by adding to knowledge base
>cant be bothered to add content
>never make it decent
>
>>
File: faeries.png (26 KB, 518x270) Image search: [Google]
faeries.png
26 KB, 518x270
I'm out of ideas for this enemy...

I need a medium/big sea monster that is not humanoid or a regular fish,and must fit inside the setting of a pyramid too since I'll reuse him in one.

I tried undead/skeleton fish, jellyfish, drowned corpses but none of these fit the above criteria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y
>>
File: holofist.jpg (53 KB, 605x503) Image search: [Google]
holofist.jpg
53 KB, 605x503
Trying to design a holo-glove.
>>
>>344158320
toad, or locust somehow
>>
>>344157458
>>344157562
You're hired
>>
>>344158348
What function does it serve?
>>
>>344158320
Squid/snake hybrid
>>
>>344158320
serpent
>>
File: modern battle graphics.jpg (442 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
modern battle graphics.jpg
442 KB, 1280x960
>>344158419
good, but I already havea toad enemy.

>>344158638
>>344158737
good one! let me experiment with this.
>>
File: scraps.jpg (116 KB, 909x630) Image search: [Google]
scraps.jpg
116 KB, 909x630
>>344158443

It's a toy that let's you battle pokemon-like-monsters by projecting them from the wrist/palm. Functions as an ego/fashion statement, with each ones design reflecting the personality of the owner.

So the aim is to make something that has a design language that can be re-interpreted with different aesthetics, while reminding you of the game as soon as you see it. Like a pokedex/pokeball, yokai watch, or a pipboy.
>>
>>344143443
Could you please reply to at least 1 comment about how underwear isn't making the character any more appealing to anyone but furries? I honestly couldn't care if your game is only for furries or not, but ignoring tons of similar criticisms entirely is just childish. A simple "the underwear is what i want them to wear" or "i dont want to redo the sprites" as opposed to just acting like you have a silent majority of approval, please.
>>
>>344146939
>any number

Anon you better be ready for 18 man shmups.
>>
>>344155905
Is this satire? I can't tell
>>
File: 1464978177934.jpg (50 KB, 330x471) Image search: [Google]
1464978177934.jpg
50 KB, 330x471
>>344159465
Anon...
>>
>>344155905
>>344156825
not gonna lie, that was flawless
>>
>there are people with games worse than yours on Steam right now
gives me hope
>>
I started messing around in UE4. I can punch a sphere and shit.
>>
>>344155905

You should call my good friends Chris Roberts, Chris Taylor, and Tim Schaeffer. None of them have any good game development experience but they sure have ideas! Also. Lord british, and the guy who made Tabula Rasa.
>>
>>344159465
Kill yourself you dumb fucking cunt.
>>
>>344158936

Looks like the duel disc from yugioh
>>
File: Davy_Jones.png (464 KB, 572x599) Image search: [Google]
Davy_Jones.png
464 KB, 572x599
>>344158320
>Sea monster
Ey Im making a sea "human" for my game to
My idea is kind of a bit of Squid, Toad and human
Try experimenting with multiple creatures
Like Angler fish and Crab, Maybe throw in some Turtle
>>
>>344159795
>>344159569
>falling for obvious counter-satire
>>
>>344160204
>actually falling for obvious counter-counter satire
>>
File: enemyprogress.webm (2 MB, 619x341) Image search: [Google]
enemyprogress.webm
2 MB, 619x341
Working on enemy stuff.
Added different animations when walking or chasing in overworld, and added 2 basic enemies in battle. Still gotta draw defend/damageanimations for the party.
>>
>>344160948
The enemy agro reminds me of grandia and digimon world 1, also keep coming, love your game;
>>
I'm thinking about a priced game with no ads or a free games with ads.
I think that both should have replay value and maybe multiplayer.
It's kinda easy to gain money with a simple game but you have to make something different and have luck.
>>
>>344161819
Make something basic and post it on kongregate. Then add some feature that is delicious enough to watch a 20sec ad for it over and over and over and over again. Realm Grinder is a good example for that. Can make up to $500 profit per week.
>>
>>344160948
not sure if that enemy warning is final (the thing that light ups when you gotta defend, not sure what to call it) I'd recommend animating it like just redrawing it a few times so it gets a jiggly effect. (if you were going to do that already or change it, oh well.)

The game is looking great kudos to you man.
>>
File: Mamu.png (1 KB, 61x67) Image search: [Google]
Mamu.png
1 KB, 61x67
Hero design for game

Thoughts?
>>
>>344162440
cute
>>
>>344153509
His right boot doesn't compliment his pose much, his toes could do with being pivoted more to the right, but good job on this! I'm digging the style.

Are you posting updates for this anywhere online?
>>
>>344162440
Is that a Kappa? Its cute. Work in the top part of the arm, its flat and the rest of the design is round.
>>
>>344160948
You should, as a nod to early development, add an enemy that is intentionally colorless/see-through like that.
>>
>>344160948
This look fucking great, would love to see it once it's finished
>>
File: AIsearching.webm (901 KB, 904x612) Image search: [Google]
AIsearching.webm
901 KB, 904x612
I've added so the AI can find and take cover from the player.
>>
>>344154136
>I hope that's just an intentional oversimplification and you don't actually think that's how garbage collection works
Just an over-simplification.
You really gotta start small and from a scratch when teaching brand new stuff to people.
>>
File: LLOD.webm (599 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
LLOD.webm
599 KB, 1024x768
>>344155905
In all seriousness, I could use an idea guy for this: what could I add to my game's maps to use as terrain features/hazards?
I don't think asteroids/asteroid fields would work since the maps are really large. There would have to be thousands of them to have an effect, which would use a lot of resources that could be used elsewhere.
>>
>>344163208
Junk and debris floating around, either working or abandoned spacestations (if they dont serve other purpose), sentient beings that happen to be extremely huge. "clouds" that essentially hide the ship and other hazards to make them dangerous, sole meterites and shooting stars, nova "winds". That's what i could come up with.
>>
File: Jade Gigant.png (3 KB, 247x202) Image search: [Google]
Jade Gigant.png
3 KB, 247x202
>>344162559
I'll do that, anon! Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>>344143443
Firstly, literally why the briefs instead of LITERALLY any other lower body wear. Shorts would be nice and less off putting to the non-fur crowd.

Secondly, why do you go out of your way to completely ignore everybody who points out the briefs, and/or pussyfoot around their questions. Why the fuck can't you just explain your reasoning?

>>344152082
>>344153046
So what's your issue exactly? I think that guys sprites and environments look really good. Or is your beef that it's not "true pixelshit" because of the color count and anti-aliasing that comes with the """""blurryness"""""? There's been a lot of that kind of autism around /v/ recently
>>
File: HLOD.webm (594 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
HLOD.webm
594 KB, 1024x768
>>344163512
>junk/debris
Already done, when ships are destroyed they break apart and the fragments stay around for the rest of the game.
>spacestations
There are a couple of them but the maps are so large, they're hardly noticeable
>big sentient beings
The game takes place in the solar system, so having something like that wouldn't make much sense.
>clouds
That's in too, but even then they don't make up that much of the map, they're that big.
>shooting stars
Maybe I should add something like that
>solar wind
Would this have a noticeable effect on a spaceship?
>>
>>344162332
The animations are still being worked on. All that is controlled via code, so I gotta tweak each variable and recompile every time to test the enemy movement. But as the game progresses I will tweak it more until it is good.
>>
>>344159204
He has already made such replies when he started the game, he would have had to do it 50 times now if he did every time he posted.
>>
>>344151970
>>344152518
Damn, that's some real good art
>>
>>344164232
>Would this have a noticeable effect on a spaceship?

In case you are making a fantasy scifi game, then you make it have effect.

Also, make the space stations bigger, maybe have multiple stations nearby. Or put in an aftermath of a space battle, with lots of junk and debris, maybe have some scavengers fly in an out to a nearby scavenger or mine station.
>>
>>344164608
And what was his oh-so-wise reasoning behind the literal fur pandering?
>>
>>344164963
It's what he wants to do and he's not gonna change it lel
>>
File: holofists.jpg (137 KB, 754x759) Image search: [Google]
holofists.jpg
137 KB, 754x759
Took the initial holo-fist design and extrapolated it to reflect the personalities of the main characters to design their personal fists.
>>
>>344164963

"how dare you do a thing you want to do! Do you realize there's people that DON'T like that thing? Pathetic!'
>>
>>344164963
1: furs = $$$
2: astroboy
>>
>>344165216
Well he could just replace it with another piece of clothing so he could maximize his audience from furries to other people outside furries.
That way you can get more profit/popularity without shoving a fetish in the game.
>>
>>344165216
"Let's put something in quotation marks that the anon didn't actually say!"

Fuck off lad, he can make his game however he wants but I'm absolutely startled as to why anybody with any integrity would sacrifice potential normal fans for potential furry fans. The guy clearly has talent, he doesn't need to resort to that.
>>
File: minkowski.png (125 KB, 1514x1006) Image search: [Google]
minkowski.png
125 KB, 1514x1006
Pretty good. Working on the collision engine.

Here is my Minkowski difference calculator. Just need to create a GJK algorithm next.
>>
DROP EVERYTHING YOURE DOING AND POST YOUR PROGRESS RIGHT NOW
>>
>>344166620
I just woke up anon, gimme some time
>>
>>344165720
how do you think people get to that amount of ability to begin with
the answer is getting paid to draw fetishistic animal people for years
>>
>>344146854
I love this style
>>
File: shieeet.png (317 KB, 1043x1056) Image search: [Google]
shieeet.png
317 KB, 1043x1056
badly
>>
File: aaaaa.png (211 KB, 651x699) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.png
211 KB, 651x699
>>344167396

[CAN'T WAKE UP]
>>
I understand how programming works, but I don't know any languages (besides sqf which is a C# derivative used by Arma 3)

should I getg game maker? Can it do 3d?
>>
>>344167635
If you want 3D, use Unity or Unreal.
Game Maker if you want 2D.
Maybe GameMaker can do some 3D stuff but it isn't too optimized for it, but I don't know much about it.
>>
>>344167635
Game maker is pretty shit for someone who's programmer oriented. I'd pick unity3d.
>>
>>344167889
I'm an artist

3D and 2D but I've also done some programming. Unity then?
>>
>>344167774
Game Maker can do 3D and people sometimes bring up this parkour game someone made using it, but the truth of the matter is, to make anything like that you'd need to know the engine inside and out, while in Unity you could make that kind of game on Day 1.
>>
>>344167965
Yep. It's super easy to get something simple going.
>>
>>344167396
>>344167551
Fucking terrifying. Good job.
>>
File: cobramari.png (10 KB, 394x468) Image search: [Google]
cobramari.png
10 KB, 394x468
>>344158890
done with the first frame.

what do you think?
>>
>>344169730
Is it a squid with snake tentacles?
Looks cool anon.
>>
>>344169730
I can't really understand the perspective its supposed to be at
>>
i`m trying to make a game, a platformer one, but i don`t know if to make it 2d or 3d, what do you think would be better?
>>
>>344171165
Depends of the art style. Do you have any art done?
>>
>>344171165
Lots of people make it 3D from a 2D perpective. Makes it easier to layer stuff and other visual fx.
>>
File: light.webm (442 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
light.webm
442 KB, 960x540
Got bored of trying to rig this guy. Rigging is such a pain. I decided to sculpt out his clothing more and made some bump maps. Bump maps are magic.
>>
>>344142307
Cleaning up some things in preparation for demo day. Implemented screenshake and now the boss drops a shadow when it is starting to land. The shadow is extremely silly but it gets the point across I think. Hopefully the boss isn't considered literally impossible.
>>
>>344169730
Looks cute
>>
>>344171415
it`s not going to be pixel art, and i don`t want make something hyper realistic.
>>
>>344162750
Good work, anon
>>
>>344172002
seems pretty easy once you get hit once.
>>
>>344173195
Some anon in this thread posted his work on pixelart tutorial, his work looked very nice.
>>
>>344173195
Are you aiming for hand drawn or 3D models?
Hand drawn are harder to make but if done well look good.
3D is easier but if you don't do a good job with textures/shaders it will look like shovelware.
>>
>>344173351
Thanks anon, it's gonna be a stalker like game.
>>
>>344171707
Bu what do you think would better, or more enjoyable.
>>
File: cobramari attack.png (9 KB, 394x468) Image search: [Google]
cobramari attack.png
9 KB, 394x468
>>344169816
>>344172520
thanks for the suggestions, I'll go with this.

>>344170612
full frontal
>>
>>344173740
I tend to like 3D games better.
>>
>>344173573
I am aiming at 3d models, working on maya planning on exporting to unity, i dunno anything about unity though.
>>
>>344173410
It's AI is modified for testing purposes so it is only doing one move in the webm. Also dodging that variant of the super jump isn't terribly obvious when you first encounter it, took me a little bit to get it down. I've been play-testing in a bit of a vacuum though so I don't know if it's going to be too hard for a first boss or not. It is slightly different on the other difficulty modes so that might be ok.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 MB, 1928x1011) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 MB, 1928x1011
While its WC3 world editor, I am only 1 boss away now from finishing my game. I wish I knew how to make gifs or webms.
>>
>>344158348
please don't make the MC a landwhale

please
>>
>>344174856
second that
>>
>>344174856
>>344175520

Too late, fuckers. Mwuhahahaaaaa!
>>
>>344175851
:,c
>>
>>344175993

Trust me, if/when the game is finished, you'll realize why. Imagine amethyst from Steven Universe.

You don't play AS her, you play as an invisible sky man telling her what to do. I'm playing around with the idea of weigh gain/loss depending on how much you run around or how many food items you use on her in battles.

Shes a complex character that people are meant to make assumptions about from just seeing her, which are shattered across the games story.

Or maybe I'm just 2 into thick. Oh well.
>>
My Dark Souls clone is going fine
>>
>>344176640
Post screens
>>
>>344176512
>Steven Universe
get the fuck out
>>
>>344177060

What if you designed art to bring in that crowd, then introduced them to lots of 'problematic' themes/plots/characters? What if it's purpose is subversion?
>>
>>344165720
>but I'm absolutely startled as to why anybody with any integrity would sacrifice potential normal fans for potential furry fans
because he's a fucking furry obviously
>>
>>344171795
i feel you, rigging is bullshit, nice job on the model btw, keep it up!
>>
>>344177265
even if I believe that convoluted reasoning, which I don't, you're still no better than the creators of steven universe using their product to push their ridiculous political agenda
>>
File: cobramari stand.png (10 KB, 394x468) Image search: [Google]
cobramari stand.png
10 KB, 394x468
>>344173834
what about these colors?
>>
>>344177828
I imagined it being green/blue but it could work depending of the surroundings.
>>
>>344177828
Not feeling the skin-like color.
>>
File: alienz.png (219 KB, 1263x819) Image search: [Google]
alienz.png
219 KB, 1263x819
>>344177668

What if the agenda is dominatrix alien tit-beasts?
>>
>>344178018
thats fucking repulsive
>>
>>344178018
>multi_breasts
Yes

>manlike
No
>>
File: true3D ship.png (318 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
true3D ship.png
318 KB, 1280x960
>>344177941
this is the surroundings. also, there already are blue and green enemies in the same scene.

>>344177952
maybe it'd work if it were a bit lighter?
>>
>>344178018
As much as I like multi breasts, the enjoyment is canceled out by everything else in the image.
>>
>>344178018
No one will buy your game with this, anon.
Aiming for the SU fanbase will make it even worse to get anyone interested.
>>
File: cobramari stand.png (10 KB, 394x468) Image search: [Google]
cobramari stand.png
10 KB, 394x468
>>344178350
>>344177952
>>344177941
I think I got it.
>>
>>344179298
Looks much better, but the lightness of the squigglies is clashing with the beak/dark parts.
>>
>>344179298
Is it supposed to look like it's standing on the tentacles?
>>
>>344178018
>multi breast
yes please
>dick
WHY
>>
>>344178018
you do know that at one point you'll never be able to post your game here without it being called "tumblr"?
>>
File: Alien Saucer Tractor Beam.gif (3 MB, 929x774) Image search: [Google]
Alien Saucer Tractor Beam.gif
3 MB, 929x774
It's going alright. I'm not sure where I'm going with this game though. I still need to add humans and make the tanks move.
>>
File: thing.png (177 KB, 588x339) Image search: [Google]
thing.png
177 KB, 588x339
Just got a new little feature working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsgDqK5PjUE&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>344182559
Sick. You make the music yourself?
>>
>>344182847
no, I requested permission to use it. I haven't finished my songs yet.
>>
File: openday.jpg (220 KB, 1203x958) Image search: [Google]
openday.jpg
220 KB, 1203x958
>>344181141

DESU, with my drawing style and character designs, it's not something I can avoid... so I might as well get used to it.

Here is some art of the main characters interacting when they first meet.
>>
>>344178018
The art "style" is dreadful.

Have fun losing more money than aerannisdev
>>
>>344178018
Looks like something that'd make bank on patreon.
>>
File: waypoint_generation.webm (776 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
waypoint_generation.webm
776 KB, 1280x720
Early progress on automatic waypoint generation.
>>
what's the point of having these threads every day as opposed to just posting in /agdg/?
>>
>>344183702
I've gotten used to finding them here
>>
>>344183702
/agdg/ is a goddamn cesspit, even worse than /v/. Sure, there are some folks there who want to discuss about game development, but the amount of shitposting and blogposting ruins the whole thread.
>>
>>344183702
What this anon said >>344183919
/agdg/ suffers from the normal problem that plagues /vg/, which are mostly tripfags and general shiposting. It is impossible to post progress there until the thread has gone beyond the 300 post mark as everything else will sink under the memes and shitpost.
At least the /v/ threads are tame compared to most other threads here, and people actually discuss game development here instead of only shitpost. Look up and see how this thread is up to the point despite having so many people posting in.
That said, dev threads are welcome now and then, but if they appear every day then they will suffer from the same issue /agdg/ have, so just let them appear sometimes.
>>
thred iz ded?
>>
>>344185620
I'll post 1 progress just give me a minute, anon.
>>
>>344185620
OP here. I'm actually surprised it's been alive this long. We've been here all day this is the best of of these threads I've seen.
>>
File: Harvey in Space.jpg (442 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Harvey in Space.jpg
442 KB, 1280x720
It's coming along nicely, I have a LOT of levels to make, though.

I'm finishing up something smaller than this, because I need something out the door soon.
>>
>>344186171
I really enjoy these threads
>>
>>344182421
Are you just generally abducting people in this game?
>>
>>344186302

This is really nice! Please show a video??
>>
File: question-mark[1].jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
question-mark[1].jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>344186302
How'd you accomplish that screen rolling of effect?
>>
>>344186548
Not just people, the idea was to abduct a bunch of different objects. But yea, you just abduct stuff in general.
>>
>>344186569
>>344186686

The video is a little older, so the colors aren't entirely the same, but the grass is a little nicer in here.

The rolling effect is a vertex shader that moves parts of a flat scene downwards from the camera position along a parable. It looks bonkers from any other angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihxn0I7peyM

Apologies for all the cheese. I tried to make you a webbum of just gameplay but failed.
>>
>>344187145
That's pretty fun.
>>
>>344186686
Vertex shader probably
>>
>>344188192

Really love the movement mechanic and the turn-based-ness of it.

Have you got any complex mechanics that came from that? Does anything else layer into it?
>>
>>344188535
The three different monster sizes will chase each other and flee accordingly.

Harvey's just trying to collect dead fish to use as rocket fuel, so he has to not get rampled or eaten, and needs to play out the monsters against each other.

There's some more stuff in there, but for now I am wary of going super crazy complex.
>>
File: Yay.png (264 KB, 1056x539) Image search: [Google]
Yay.png
264 KB, 1056x539
I'm thinking about making a VR mode of Blanco in the style of the Captain Toad minigames. what do you guys think?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.