[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Valve dying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 27
File: Head_anim.gif (86 KB, 320x242) Image search: [Google]
Head_anim.gif
86 KB, 320x242
>turns hl2 into a tech demo
>delayes promised games indefinitely
>literally no quality control
>literally no customer support
>tries to cash in off mods
>promotes underaged gambling
>'silence solves everything' philosophy
>>
File: 1440201157769.jpg (25 KB, 290x450) Image search: [Google]
1440201157769.jpg
25 KB, 290x450
>>344118202
to me its become an underground boxing club for turnt drug gambling based multiplayer
>>
File: 1465426100514.jpg (209 KB, 756x1100) Image search: [Google]
1465426100514.jpg
209 KB, 756x1100
>>promotes underaged gambling
>>literally no custormer support
>>literally no quality control
sure famalam
>>
>>344118594
is this another steambot TmarTn forgot to log out of?
>>
>>344118202
Valve has ALWAYS been a lazy sack of shit. Nothing has changed since the 90's but the fact that they've gotten bigger.

On the flip side they take minimal risks and go for what "works", which is good in regards for the service/consumers but bad in regards to support.
>>
>>344118759
>allows literally anyone to misuse their system without any responsibility
>implying Steam Support is any good
>Steam Greenlight
>>
>>344118202
you might be legally retarded
>>
they're already dead, valve is just some mega-rich sales platform now, they don't do shit with video games anymore.

lets not forget how steamboxes, steamOS and steam controllers were flops. what the fuck are they doing with all this tech no one cares about, its like they're totally out of touch with their audience
>>
>>344119267
you should get help
>>
>>344118202
>CS Gay fans are people, much less ones who can be fucked over
>>
>current valve
>single player
is such thing even possible
>>
>>344120036
This

its like their fans think they are apple and gaben is steve jibs

cult mentality
>>
>>344120106
you should kill yourself
>>
I've never liked valve, however, it's a necessary evil. Half Life was a shit series tbhthbtbh

valvedrones most deluded
>>
File: 1447264826815.png (329 KB, 542x579) Image search: [Google]
1447264826815.png
329 KB, 542x579
>>344118202
Wait what
When did that happen?
>>
>>344118202
Look, Valve has done nothing to the gaming community other than releasing CS 1.6 DUDE BRO LMAO and retarded tech demos

Also they make sure any flash game will be released at 7 dollars to justify "8bit art" indie shit for 14,99
>>
>>344118202
>operates the largest digital distribution network for vidya
>dying
Are you fucking high?
>>
>>344120481
is that all you got
?
>>
>>344118202
all they ever were were mod publishers

didn't even make the damn things
>>
>>344120231
haha cs gay
>>
They aren't dieing because they get so much money from the steam store. Their customer service is bad and they don't seem to be doing much to combat the problems in Counter Strike
>>
>>344120812
lol you don't wanna fuck with me man. just stop before i end you. and i can. pretty easily.
>>
>>344120947
that's their way of dealing with it, by not taking responsibility for anything

quite ingenious
>>
>>344121026
*unzips katana*
try it, kid
>>
>>344121026
bring it on.
>>
>>344121026
stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>344120036
>steam controllers
>there are retards that still think their gimmick controller was good
>>
>>344118202
"what goes up, must come down"
>>
>>344118950
>gives a free-to-use API, stating to use only certain buttons and designs, which say that Valve doesn't affaliate with and/or condone this website=Valve's problem when somembody misuses
>implying it isn't
>games have been voted up then taken down by Valve for problems. Its also primarily driven by community votes, so Valve shouldn't even have control in its early phases
>>
File: shiggy.gif (1 MB, 264x264) Image search: [Google]
shiggy.gif
1 MB, 264x264
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.46
>RCW 9.46.010
>The public policy of the state of Washington on gambling is to keep the criminal element out of gambling and to promote the social welfare of the people by limiting the nature and scope of gambling activities and by strict regulation and control.
>It is hereby declared to be the policy of the legislature, recognizing the close relationship between professional gambling and organized crime, to restrain all persons from seeking profit from professional gambling activities in this state; to restrain all persons from patronizing such professional gambling activities;
>RCW 9.46.0241
>"Gambling device," as used in this chapter, means: ...(2) any device or mechanism which, when operated for a consideration, does not return the same value or thing of value for the same consideration upon each operation thereof;
>RCW 9.46.0285
>"Thing of value," as used in this chapter, means any money or property, any token, object or article exchangeable for money or property, or any form of credit or promise, directly or indirectly, contemplating transfer of money or property or of any interest therein, or involving extension of a service, entertainment or a privilege of playing at a game or scheme without charge.
>>
they might be fucked by this gambling thing

the more I read the worse it seems
>>
>>344121406
>gabe's weight
>>
File: bad idea.jpg (9 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
bad idea.jpg
9 KB, 224x225
>>344121528
https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2010/fil10035a.pdf
>Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act
>The Act prohibits gambling businesses from knowingly accepting payments in connection with the participation of another person in a bet or wager that involves the use of the Internet and that is unlawful under any federal or state law
>The Act also requires Treasury and the Federal Reserve Board (in consultation with the U.S. Attorney General) to promulgate regulations requiring certain participants in payment systems that could be used for unlawful Internet gambling to have policies and procedures reasonably designed to identify and block or otherwise prevent or prohibit the processing of restricted transactions.
>The rule requires all non-exempt participants in designated payment systems to establish and implement policies and procedures reasonably designed to identify and block or otherwise prevent or prohibit restricted transactions.
>>
>>344121528
>means any money or property, any token, object or article exchangeable for money or property, or any form of credit or promise, directly or indirectly, contemplating transfer of money or property or of any interest therein, or involving extension of a service, entertainment or a privilege of playing at a game or scheme without charge.

This fits what Trevor was doing
>>
>>344121629
>x is unlawful
we got a moralfag over here
>>
Do you feel they completely missed their chance with Half Life 3?

Do people even really want it anymore?

I feel like it's not even something people are passionate about at this point. It's just a joke.
>>
>>344121943
You know they'll pull out another HL when they make a new engine. The series is pretty much just there for them to show off now, after 2. I don't know if they missed their chance, but personally I wouldn't get very excited for it.
>>
>>344121943
>>344122858
Valve has gone to shit since Episode 2 came out. They killed TF2 via updates without being able to restrain themselves and killed L4D by severing the community and breaking their promise of keeping it updated.
>>
I see Valve mostly as a general software tech and distribution company these days. they haven't really done much directly to do with vidya for a while.
>>
>>344121943
It'll never live up to the hype.
>>
I reinstalled TF2 after not playing it for years and crafted/deleted every item that wasn't from an achievement or vintage

It felt so good to get rid of all that garbage, maybe now kids will stop trying to add me as a friend for trades in a game I don't even play anymore
>>
>>344120574
Maybe anon is referring to that leaked Source demo that dropped before HL2 came out?

Anyone else remember that shit? Those stained glass windows... that hyrda-looking thing.
>>
>>344123993
get out gramps
>>
>>344121943
twice per year I get excited and I catch up on whatever was "leaked" throughout that period, but other than that I hardly care anymore
>>
File: Sad Cos.png (263 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
Sad Cos.png
263 KB, 500x386
>>344124094
Okay...
>>
As a developer, definitely. What they did to DOTA and TF2 is all the proof you need.
But why the fuck would they care? Steam alone means ludicrous amounts of income to throw at shit like their console and VR.
>>
What will happen to all your games when steam goes down forever?
>>
>>344125217
You'll be able to play them offline
>>
>>344125217
You'll be able to play them with Vapor, the community app from the company that Valve sells out to
>>
>haven't made a good game since the 90s
>portal could have been a great series but instead we get memes and microtransactions
>all of their popular games are just recycled mods
>somehow gaben is the savior of gaming
>>
>>344125812
>I am a grumpy old fuck from the 60s
>Video games should not make people laugh they should be ultimately serious like my time in the military
>If a video game has a cartoon style it is bad because I never had cartoons growing up
>If a video game makes money it's bad becuase my family never had money
>>
>>344125986
Portal 2 was garbage
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-07+at+03.07.34).jpg (17 KB, 305x130) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-07+at+03.07.34).jpg
17 KB, 305x130
>>344126464
go back to the hospice
>>
>>344125217
Gone basically.

They know as well as you do that 'we'll handle it when the time comes' is lip service. They know that by the time it actually becomes relevant they'll be so deep fucked anyways they won't be able to do anything about it. Your shit will just be gone and you'll be out whatever you paid for those games with no recourse.
>>
>>344126739
Or you can just you know, play offline
>>
>>344121328
It is good, come at me
>>
>>344126720
>steam reviews meaning fucking anything

they're even more worthless than metacritic user score somehow.
>>
>>344129513
>thousands of people like something I don't
>my opinion is absolute
k
>>
>>344125812
>haven't made a good game since the 90s
nigga no
>>
>>344129679
I don't even know what the argument is, literally half of steam reviews are just people saying

"10/10, my dick is diamonds, pewdiepie brought me here XD!"
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-07+at+03.44.28).jpg (171 KB, 878x1365) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-07+at+03.44.28).jpg
171 KB, 878x1365
>>344129781
k
>>
>>344118202
it always was going to be one. they followed up with story
why spend money on risk when profits flow from proven avenues? business one oh one.
subjective opinion that profits argue with directly. if it wasn't wringing in cash it would not be there.
>literally no customer support
you mean no hand holding? they have millions of accounts they cannot handhold everyone of them. if you want that the first thing that has to go is steam refunds.
>tries to cash in off mods
and ate shit for it. like SO MANY other business in SO MANY other fields that have tried to test the waters and ended up eating crow. business one oh one.
i have no clue about this shit. sounds like mommy needs to take away lil' Timmy's credit card access. if children didn't have access to money they couldn't profit off of gambling.
if you were running a multi-billion dollar DRM platform/solution you would do the EXACT same thing. money talks, not whining on forums, emails, twitter, instagram, red it, or any other place the collective gathers to echo chamber.

treat them like the business they are. that is what they are expecting.
>>
>>344118202
it feels weird that you'd consider a game they made over 10 years ago an example of them "dying", especially when that game was rightly met with universal acclaim
if you're referring to greenlight i agree, that shit's a mess
nice meme
>>
>We all got our start as fans. There’s a tremendous power in bringing that perspective into game design: wanting to make something that really is worth people’s time and money. It also gives you a sense of how few opportunities you have – we all know people in the industry where you can look at them and say “well you did this great thing here and then wasted the opportunity in subsequent years.” They just threw something together and that’s two or three years out of their career that they’re not going to get back.

Gabe said that in an interview in 2007. Do you feel like he and his company have made things "worth people's time and money" during that time?
>>
>>344125217
How or why would that ever happen in a million years?

Steam has extremely minimal overhead, and a monstrously huge profit margin that could easily keep the entirely of Valve going for decades on MAYBE 2-4 years of profits alone.
>>
>>344131014
Since 2007?
Despite what the contrarians say, Portal 2.
(thats it uh-oh)
>>
>>344130136
>why spend money on risk when profits flow from proven avenues? business one oh one.

oh yea like VR and the whole mann-conomy stuff?
>>
>>344131014
Steam has turned PC into a huge market that nearly every developer ports their games to now, meaning we get more games than ever before, so yes.
>>
File: 1407445250685.jpg (52 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1407445250685.jpg
52 KB, 480x480
>>344131439
>VR
>risk

Wew, lad. Nice "pretending" job.
>>
File: 4DzYEqP.jpg (671 KB, 1280x1824) Image search: [Google]
4DzYEqP.jpg
671 KB, 1280x1824
You guys haven't been paying attention to Valve. Just what you want to see from it.

Valve has been focusing it's efforts and spreading and refining aspects of it's company. They've been looking into hardware and software development, closed social outreach to various groups like kids, certain college developer programs, and others. They've been focusing on marketing research and fine tuning their games and virtual markets like Dota, CS:GO and the general steam market.

They've been doing a lot of things. One can only assume that they've gone back and forth with things like Half-Life 3 and LFD3 but progress is probably hindered by a number of things like hardware, software, and the outright terrible markets for both of those things right now.

You've got major splits because of shitty console hardware, shitty console reiterations like that Scorpio thing and the PS4k or whatever. You've got Nvidia releasing new cards using their new Pascal architecture and the same thing with AMD.

Technology is changing into a new tier of available products and it's happening a little faster and messier than before.

I think Valve would focus their efforts on making Source2 the next Source engine in that they want it to be long lived, available on the scale of Unity, UE and like engines, and be reliable while able to be flexible when it comes to running on a wide array or newer and older hardware systems.

They've got their work cut out for them and I think they're sort of facing a steep curve right now when it comes to trying to innovate but seeing people continue to deny emerging technologies unless they've got an established role and are piss-easy to use. They're got a lot on their plate and it will probably be some time before we see the fruits of their labor come forth.

Steam is always getting bigger but I think they're ultimately spread thin and may not have the time or resources to open up customer service support on the scale of Amazon.
>>
>>344118202
>>turns hl2 into a tech demo
more like tech demo turned into a playable game desu
>>
>>344121943
hl3 has way too high of expectations at this point.

its literally duke nukem forever 2.0

just forget about it and pray they do too so we can live our lives wondering...what if...?
>>
>>344130136
>why spend money on risk when profits flow from proven avenues? business one oh one.

so you're ok with them basically becoming a virtual console (a.k.a steam) producer?
>>
>>344118202
I wish.
>>
>>344122858
Anon... Their new engine has been out for awhile now.
>>
They have CSGO which brings them a lot of money, that's why they don't bother to release something new.
>>
>>344121470
>games have been voted up then taken down by Valve for problems. Its also primarily driven by community votes, so Valve shouldn't even have control in its early phases

http://store.steampowered.com/app/378020

game is up for almost a year now, several people flagged it as it's unplayable without servers, even the dev abandoned it, still up to be purchase

how is that quality control
>>
File: 1456652296048.gif (993 KB, 290x198) Image search: [Google]
1456652296048.gif
993 KB, 290x198
I wish gaben would retire already. He obviously got sick of everything around 2010. I think it had something to do with his son or growing old maybe? Valve is supposed to be leading company like microsoft or sony but they are doing literally nothing
>>
>>344137530
>so you're ok with them basically becoming a virtual console (a.k.a steam) producer?

I am.
But full disclosure I have zero emotional tie nor expectation for the Valve titles.

Half Life is good, but not an enormous moment for me.
Portal is amazing and hilarious but I expect nothing more out of it.
I have not played any of their other titles (save an hour or two of TF2 which I do not count).

If they did nothing but remain the PC publishing platform of choice in the future I would be content.
>>
Im switching to good old games whenever possible now that they release newer stuff
>>
>>344121629
>>344121528

Oh wow, by law they have valve and Martin dead to rights.
>>
>>344126464
My 32nd birthday is in a couple days, and I'm proud to have lived long enough thus far to witness the era where Portal 2 has been retconned as "garbage" by /v/, and no, I'm not basing it off this one post, it's the tipping point: I see a lot of Portal 2 hate lately, and the most it boils-down to is that it's guilty of the crimes of both memery and Redditation
>>
>>344140160
Portal 2 was panned by /v/ on release. But what does it matter? They hate everything on principle.

You shouldn't care about /v/'s opinions like some sort of "elite gamer". Form your own damn opinions.
>>
>>344140160
>lately
After Portal 1 created some memes 2 never stood a chance on /v/ and was slammed at release
I think the greentext maymay was >4 hours or something first, then people bitched about that robot narrator or something
>>
>>344123649
>they haven't really done much directly to do with vidya for a while.

True, it's not like they have 3 very popular online games.
>>
>>344140539
>After Portal 1 created some memes

I don't get why the game is faulted for creating memes
Basically what happened was that an easter egg got popular on the internet somehow
The retards who started spouting it should be blamed, the game is totally fine
>>
>>344140776
Well yeah, retards gon be retarded
>>
>>344134497

>its literally duke nukem forever 2.0

Not even close
>>
>>344118759
valve having like no customer support is true.
even Origin has better support
>>
>>344119267
>>344120106
>>344120481
>>344120812
>>344121026
>>344121183
>>344121214
>>344121296

Is any of this meta? If not, I think I'm too old for /v/...
>>
>>344130136
>>tries to cash in off mods
>and ate shit for it. like SO MANY other business in SO MANY other fields that have tried to test the waters and ended up eating crow. business one oh one.

Yeah, the paid mods fiasco is the only time when they tried to cash in on mods.

>Counter-Strike
>Team Fortress
>Portal
>Day of Defeat
>Even fucking Left 4 Dead was supposed to be a mod

The only original game that they made after Half-Life was Ricochet, and we all know how popular is that game. Even HL2 took a lot of stuff from mods.
>>
>>344142275
But hence why they think that paid mods are a sensible idea. A lot of their time was spent hiring modders to make or assist with making actual games
>>
>>344118759
Except the two last points are spot on. Steam Support is the worst shit ever, and cost me my first account. Took a fucking month of mailing back and forth before I just said fuck it and gave up. They kept sending e-mails in Swedish too for God damn fucking reason, even after I told them I don't understand that shit.
>>
>>344141798

You're delusional. It's been almost 10 years since Episode 3 was released. That's a long fucking time.
>>
>>344118202
>Valve
>Ever good
Choose one. They literally never made something original.

>Half-Life was based on a book by Stephen King
>CS was an HL mod
>Ricochet was based on Tron
>Day of Defeat was an HL mod
>Left 4 Dead was a CS:Source mod
>Portal was based on Narbacular Drop
>Portal 2's gel mechanic was copied from TAG: The Power of Paint
>Dota 2 is based on a Warcraft mod
>>
>>344140539
>robot narrator
What a fucking annoying cunt. Out of all the shitty Reddit humor in the game, this guy is an embodiment of that. Dropped the game after fighting Glados because the "humor" was just so fucking grating.
>>
>>344142538
>It's been almost 10 years since Episode 3 was released.
oh shit i must have missed it
>>
>>344123993
Early hl2 was leaked by a German hacker who was tricked into flying to the USA to join valve but fbi arrested his ass

Valve are currently working on source 2 while maintaining their steam platform.
>>
>>344143084
What book?
>>
>>344143084

>original

Who the fuck cares? You might as well say Doom was based on the Bible, it's about as close a link as Half-life has to The Mist. The reason to dislike Half-life in particular isn't that it breaks some mystic criterion of originality, it's that it and its sequel were the beginning of the FPS as spectacle. In Half-life the priority of the designers isn't having the player DO awesome shit, it's having them SEE awesome shit. It's a sea change in how designers tried to draw a player into their game and it leads down a road to Call of Duty etc., where the gameplay is entirely incidental to a simplistic propaganda epic being crammed down the players throat.
>>
>>344143782
the Mist apparently (lol)
>>
>>344118202

you know, technically they never actually announced HL3, so it was never really "promised" at all
>>
>>344143619
*would have arrested his ass
the german police stopped him BEFORE he boarded the plane
had he managed to arrive at his intended destination FBI would then have taken him for industry espionage
>>
Origin support is godlike , they have a live chat support 24/7 and you have a right to 2 -15% coupons
>>
File: tmartn.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tmartn.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
So will he go to prison for fraud and creating ads for underage gambling platform?
>>
>>344143837
>The reason to dislike Half-life in particular isn't that it breaks some mystic criterion of originality, it's that it and its sequel were the beginning of the FPS as spectacle. In Half-life the priority of the designers isn't having the player DO awesome shit, it's having them SEE awesome shit. It's a sea change in how designers tried to draw a player into their game and it leads down a road to Call of Duty etc., where the gameplay is entirely incidental to a simplistic propaganda epic being crammed down the players throat.
What the fuck is this revisionism I'm seeing
I don't like VALVe but jesus christ
waht
>>
ITT: ps4 owners bitching again.
>>
File: 1429315703949.jpg (107 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1429315703949.jpg
107 KB, 540x720
>>344118202
This is the thing that fucking annoys me about Valve the most.

They are opaque and uncommunicative to the extreme. For a service that gets almost 12million concurrent users a DAY it's fucking horrendous. Your customer base NEEDS to be communicated with. Being in a vaccum has completely killed this company.
>>
>>344145736
It's a fucking felony a major one.

They'll freeze his assets for sure unless they somehow wipe all the evidence clean somehow and wipe everyone's memory.
>>
>>344149028
I still can't help but feel like he's going to get away with it.
>>
>>344149141
Yeah he's rich enough to pull some shit.

But overall his social life, money and youtube shit is fucked.

I'm surprised he hasn't left the country.
>>
>>344118759
>>promotes underaged gambling

>He doesn't know
http://fortune.com/2016/06/25/valve-software-underage-gambling/
http://wccftech.com/problem-underage-gambling-csgo-rise/
>>
>Making more money then fucking god every second

Yeah sure, "dying."
>>
>>344145992

As another anon her, I do think it's fair to a point. But then I would mitigate by saying it's not all Valve's fault that people took the wrong lessons from their games.

There was after all some interesting elemets - peopl forget how good the HL1 was for it's time, for one.

Still hate the company for what it did o PC gaming myself, though.
>>
>>344149291
The problem here is its rigged.

There's even twitch footage of him using bots and such.

I can't wait till the pay end for this situation. It's either butt pounding jail or just severely fucked.
>>
morality is a spook
Valve is more successful than they have ever been
>>
>>344149389
The success of Steam doesn't mean the soul of Valve has survived.

I am to this day dumbfounded that CS:GO actually got released knowing how shitty their development structure is.
>>
>>344149443
>people forget how good the HL1 AI was for it's time, for one.

I really need that coffee. Sorry about that.
>>
>>344140160
I feel sorry that you are 32 and still care about what /v/ says
>>
>>344130136
>you mean no handholding
other companies like blizzard also have millions of registered but that doesn't stop them from delivering punctual assistance to a customer in need
>>
File: 1273023981109.png (3 KB, 208x208) Image search: [Google]
1273023981109.png
3 KB, 208x208
>>344123993
I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ddJ1OKV63Q
>>
>>344118202
Do you think the whole "do what you want" shit at Valve is good?
>>
>>344123632
Add Dota 2 to the obituaries with TF2, their one-man reddit balancing act was more of the same shit. Also tfw you're a custom game dev and they push a hats update that makes hammer crash on startup and they don't hotfix it for several days.
>>
File: 130124174177.gif (422 KB, 200x148) Image search: [Google]
130124174177.gif
422 KB, 200x148
>>344118759
>I don't agree with someone
BAITBAITBAITBAITBAITBAIT
>>
>>344150086
I can't remember the last time I saw something frin E3 that amazed me as much as this did at the time.
Just listen to the people in the background. It was so groundbreaking at the time it was crazy.
>>
File: tradebot.png (655 KB, 1921x844) Image search: [Google]
tradebot.png
655 KB, 1921x844
>>344149495
VALVE DOES NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT BOTS OR RMT.

There was a situation when a trade bot got hacked (sorry it's all in ruski), so what happened is, valve returned the account to it's original owners and LIFTED THE FUCKING BAN. AND IT'S STILL OUT THERE SELLING AND BUYING SHIT ON MARKET.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/bot3_opskins

Valve clearly does not give a fuck because from every transaction they get money. And they don't give a shit about rmt gambling websites.
>>
>>344118759

I understand many people have had a bad experience with their support, and I also understand my case is anecdotal.
My account was hacked because I lent it to my best friend and he downloaded a keylogger or some shit. I didn't use it much back then, but by the time I wanted to play something I couldn't get in. In 2 days, Steam Support got me my account back, after I gave them some information and a photo of the serial key of HL2 that was on the account, with the ticket number written on it.
>>
>>344140297
>Portal 2 was panned by /v/ on release
Now this is fairly fucking bullshit on the same level of insisting /v/ panned DaS II on release, it stayed on the front page for a long goddamn time with pretty civil threads that were a good source of HLverse chat, and lewds of certain personified shy sentry were one of many lifevests that kept Portalchat going for a long time, and lets not forget the Roswell-esqe weeks that involved the potato ARG
>>
>>344130008
>PLAY THIS GAME!!
>2 word reviews
>lenny face joke review
Steam reviews really are mostly awful
>>
>>344150179
To an extent. It means happy employees doing what they really want to, with no pressure from boardrooms or shareholders to deliver on deadlines, and ultimately probably produces a better product.

But the flipside is they can waste a lot of time on shit that never sees the light of day.
>>
>>344120036
vive is projected to make one to ten billion dollars for valve in the next 12 months so you're gonna eat your words
>>
>>344126464
Go fuck yourself...
>>
>>344121943
It won't happen.
Valve got 40 million or so already from Dota 2 compendium.
>few community made cosmetics
>same in-game challenges as always
>new particle effects
>>
>>344118202
>Hundreds of thousands of retards by abandonware with no added Steam features just so they can "own" it on the same list as other games they own
Yeah, they'll be fine.
>>
remember when gabe was fun and passionate about games

what the hell happened
>>
>>344118202
Are you serious? The complete opposite.
They aren't releasing any games because they've got so much cash already.
>>
>>344142275
Portal wasn't a MOD you retard
>>
>>344154938
People spending money on hats happened.
>>
>>344118202
Epic shitpost, dudester.
>>
>>344149260
I'm not sure you retards understand that what he did is not legally punishable. There is no legislation about it.
You can consider it underage gambling and the whole video "I found a site I own" to be shady as fuck, but there is nothing illegal about it.
They might regulate this in the future, but this guy will get away with it easy, he did not commit a crime.
>>
>>344155586

>>344121629
>>
>>344118202
>leaked billing information
>>
It's a service company now. They make games sometimes as a joke.
>>
>>344118202

They have the worst business practices in the industry after EA and yet they have probably the most amount of money in the whole industry, Steam is virtually unbeatable at this point.
>>
>>344150086

>can this run on my 486?

everytime
>>
>hosts the biggest gaming tournament ever every year
>dying
>>
>>344142035
Origin has great customer support. I was trying to activate Mass Effect on origin and I bought it from Direct 2 Drive or something four years earlier or so and I just wanted to have all the Mass Effect games on origin. The key wasn't working so they just asked me to screenshot the receipt and added the game to my account in like 4 minutes.
>>
>>344155842

If Steam does implode, which is likely if not inevitable unless they get their shit together, I've a feeling GOG and Humble might take up some of the slack as far as digital marketplaces go. They've been growing a LOT the last couple years.
>>
>>344126464
>Portal 2 was garbage
Lol
kys please
>>
>>344156615
Steam won't go away unless some kind of outside force like the feds force it to shut down which is very unlikely.
>>
>>344152184

>10 billion dollars

12 million people are going to buy into VR within 12 months.

There is no image in my reaction folder that covers how retarded that is
>>
File: ss.jpg (32 KB, 586x177) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
32 KB, 586x177
>bu-bu-valve is dying

never change /v/
>>
>>344118202
>is the publisher of the most popular and active online games right now on the market which only LoL and WoW can compete with dying
dunno man
>>
>>344156770
>12 million people are going to buy the shitty launch model that was rushed to complete with oculus
>they're all going to be disappointed by the untested hardware and things nobody has fixed yet like motion sickness and uncanny valley
>lots of people won't even have the hardware for it
VR is kill but I was expecting that after Facebook got involved.
>>
>>344157046
>12% increase in number of games sold
>47.5% increase in gross sales value

I thought the discounts were pretty shitty this year.
>>
>>344156627
SPAAAAAAACEEEEEE XDD
>>
>>344149291
I don't understand this. What's the problem here? THe guy is just mad he lost money on bets.

Skins and bets are awesome, you can make money and buy games for free. You can literally never spend a cent on steam and buy everything.
>>
>>344157718
Yeah?

You have a very unpopular opinion.
>>
>>344143224
>reddit humor

Go back
>>
As a developer? Could happen.
As a retail platform operator? Unlikely.
>>
File: 1434604427884.jpg (34 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1434604427884.jpg
34 KB, 640x640
>>344157769
No they're not.

You simply have an addiction to gambling and should seek medical attention.
>>
>>344157718
>CAKE XDD
>ARROW TO DA KNEE XDD
>YOUR LEGS ARE OKAY XDD
>GIT GUD XDD
>A BOMB XDD
>OBJECTION!!! XDD
>BAM HAM XDD
>HIGH NOON XDD
>CHIM XDD
>LOADS OF EMONE XDD
>JILL SANDWICH XDD
>HATE NEWSPAPER XDD
>COCK RINGS XDD
>DONT OPEN IT XDD
>DONACDUM XDD
>WAIT A MINUTE...THAT CARD XDD
>WHISKEY AND CIGAR TONIGHT XDD
>MAKES YOU WISH FOR NUCLEAR WINTER XDD
>CHEEKI BREEKI XDD
>GOTTA GO FAST XDD
>>
>>344149291
I'm okay with this in fact better than okay I'm glad
>>
>>344121943
i'm 100% certain that Valve is no longer capable of creating Half-Life 3 (or any singleplayer game, or any new IP). Every single new hire and business decision they've made since the release of Mannconomy for TF2 has been geared towards microtransactions. They don't make games, they make the most efficient way to trick their users into thinking they need a new color on their character/hat/gun.

And retards still gobble it up, despite Valve being at the forefront of everything killing PC gaming.

>bloated store with shitty UI and non-functional features?
Valve.
>indie and VR shovelware?
Valve.
>microtransactions?
Valve.
>paid mods?
Valve.
>pressuring game servers to stop using custom content?
Valve.
>>
>>344157634
It's idiots who still believe the epic "GABE nEWELL IS THE SAVIOUR OF PC GAMING!!! LOOOL STEAM SUMMER SALE RIP MY WALLET!!!" who fucking gobble this shit up.
>>
>>344159964
Haven't played TF2 since like 2012/13.

How is the situation anyway?
Seemed on the verge of death to me even back then.
>>
File: SadJesus.jpg (60 KB, 357x415) Image search: [Google]
SadJesus.jpg
60 KB, 357x415
>>344150086
>there will never be a tech demo this impressive ever again
>>
>>344150086
i remember being btfo by this
>>
>>344160471
I've played it like half a year ago and it's dead.
Only children and cheaters with aimbot.
>>
>>344161023
>and it's dead
That's just not true
>>
Valve was dying back in 2011 then they shat out their very last games and called it a day.

CSGO doesnt count a shit and Source Engine 2 is a fart in the wind nobody else is using it.

As soon as a decent alternative to steam pops up they are dead but they have had the digital distro market in a strangehold since 2003 so i dont think they are going away soon unforunetly.

After their string of recent hardware flops maybe they will make some fucking games !?!?
>>
>>344161068
Couldn't find a single full server without bots on dustbowl/goldrush.
>>
>>344128125
And what happens if you don't have every game you bought installed?
>>
>>344161174
You're fucking lying

Valve servers have no bots
>>
>>344143837
>You might as well say Doom was based on the Bible
We have this great peace by former Russian Orthodox Church spokesperson where he explains that Doom is based on Bible and Doomguy is basically archangel Michael fucking shit up in Hell to save sinners
https://life.ru/t/%D0%B8%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B/417520/ghieroi_doom_--_arkhanghiel_iz_biblii_s_kommientariiami_vsievoloda_chaplina (it's in Russian though)
>>
>>344143084
Who cares?

They make good games
>>
>>344162929

The last good game they made was 5 years ago.
>>
>>344120036
It's a bit tinfoil hat, but I think these projects were to prove to Microsoft that, should they go full stupid and try to only allow purchase from their own app store, that PC gaming has other options.
The move for more Apple and Linux games came after Windows Live, during the investor uprising SteamOS and Steamboxes were announced, and the controller for the UWP.
Microsoft backs down because their schemes don't make money, but I also think they always notice they don't hold the monopoly they think they do.
>>
>>344160302
Doubtful. I think it's just more kids getting into gaming.
>>
>>344163947
Dota 2 is a good game
>>
>>344120036
Valve are playing a long game. Nobody expected SteamOS/machines/controllers to be a slam dunk. It's just the first step of a bigger strategy. VR is the second step. You need a PC in your living room for VR, so what better than a Steam machine? I would expect to start seeing some bundles competing with PS Neo and Xbox Scorpio.
>>
fucking kikes and a cancer on pc gaming
>>
File: 1371945875477.jpg (14 KB, 303x349) Image search: [Google]
1371945875477.jpg
14 KB, 303x349
>>344118492
underrated post.
>>
>>344118202
>cuts 50% of HL2's original content and storyline into episodes/or outright scrapped
Still mad, surprising almost nobody got angry over this, and praises it as the best game ever.
>>
>>344166398

It would all have been retreads anyway. Nova Prospekt went on a little too long and AirEx would just have been more of that.
>>
I'm hoping this lawsuit makes Gun Hat Simulator less profitable, and forces them to at least make a new IP.
>>
File: don't hurt me.png (18 KB, 215x296) Image search: [Google]
don't hurt me.png
18 KB, 215x296
>>344166398
>HL2 storyline
You know, after 11 years i've realized that Half-Life 2 has no story.
It's just random levels thrown together to show off the engine.
>basic shooter
>with physics
>and cool facial animations
>also slippery surfaces
>also you can control vehicles, for example a boat that can slide oh the ground and swim
>here is a toy to play with in-game physics and a whole chapter with saw blades and explosive barrels for you to throw
>besides boats we can have cars
>antlion AI, you can set waypoints for them
>also shitty friendly human AI that proves that you can make a squad based shooter
>Another sandbox where you can move around and throw bodies
>Episode one is just a new lightning system and HDR test game with dark as fuck underground sequence
>Episode two added dynamic shadows better particles, updated vehicles and scripted destruction
It's just one big benchmark.
>>
>>344118202
Early Access should be free.
>>
Dying? Fuck no. They're making more money than ever.

NEETs being salty about good business practice is not a reason for a company dying.
>>
>>344126464
Not gonna say it was garbage, but it was full of itself and lacked that "special indie feeling" of portal 1

Its pretty clear that Valve doesn't care about making games anymore, which is fine by me. They only made 3 great games anyway.
1.HL1
2. HL2
3. Dota2
>>
>>344159641
>bam ham

this is acceptable though, fuck those games
>>
>>344167920

That defeats the purpose, which is to fund the game's development.
>>
>>344168528
>They only made 3 great games any way

That's not true
>>
>Valve says you can't refund games
>EU consumer protection laws get tightened
>N-Nevermind g-guys you can totally refund games

Also, they put microtransactions in a game you pay for, namely CS:GO, and don't even bother adding their own maps to it anymore. They just get a bunch of community maps, sell post stamps and operation coins and then pretend they're generous because they give a cut of the earnings to the people who have actually made the content they're selling.

Also
>open Steam store to all kinds of shovelware
>with early access, open Steam store to unfinished shovelware and broken promises
>claim they'll bind developers by contract to finish their games
>devs don't do that, just call them finished and abandon it
>but it's okay because Valve makes money from this
>>
>>344169807
Who gives a shit about skins in csgo, they don't affect the gameplay.
>>
>>344118202

Valve only have four original games:

HL 1, HL 2, TF2, Portal.

The other are mods that they stole.
>>
>>344142538
Duke Nukem Forever was in development hell for 10 years, Half Life 3 hasn't even been announced yet, for all we know, they could've started last year/
>>
>>344170048
it created a truly cancerous community surrounding that shit though.
>>
>>344170065
>they stole.
Bought. Quite cleverly I might add.
They have a good eye for promoting talent.
>>
>>344170065
>Team Fortress
>not originally a mod
>Portal
>not acquired by scouting at some indie thing
step it up Anon
>>
>>344170065
>stole
Are you retarded?

They bought the mods
>>
>>344170356
>it's not stealing if you give them money in exchange
Valvedrones actually believe this
>>
File: idiot.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
idiot.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>344170065
>Team Fortress
>not a mod
>>
>>344170506
It's not

They also hired the developers
Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.