[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why certain developers refuse to let their games be modded? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 35678.jpg (79 KB, 850x979) Image search: [Google]
35678.jpg
79 KB, 850x979
Why certain developers refuse to let their games be modded? I can understand some greedy companies like EA but why would a indie developer do this?
>>
Her breasts are too large
>>
>>344023371
>too large
>>
>>344023262
You talking about bedlam huh
>>
>>344023262
>See picture
>Think it's a mousepad design

Would of been better
>>
>>344023262
Pardon my faggotry though I would assume it's less about not wanting to do it rather than it putting a toll on development time and development costs to optimize a game for modding.
>>
>>344023262
Is that artist TheyCallHimCake!?
>>
>>344023262
>why would a indie developer do this?
muh artistic vision can't be tainted
>>
>>344023262
>why would a indie developer do this
Adding mod support to Unity games is tricky.
>>
>>344023262
It's not a question of "letting" at all. The game executable on your computer doesn't have any source code, it has been translated into processoor instructions so modifying it is very hard. For that reason most games that don't have mod tools are limited to very simple mods such as new textures, if even that.
>>
>>344024919
Forgot to add, making these mod tools can be time consuming and the game engine has to be made form the ground up to support mods. Most indie devs can't commit that amount of work to a secondary feature.
>>
>>344024919
>>344025097

Why not just hand out the source code then? It's not like these indie games have fantastic DRM that would stop pirates anyway (as in, giving out the source code wouldn't increase piracy by any real amount).
>>
>>344024371
Yes
>>
>>344025203

Source code can have internal tools and code that developers are investing as part of their technology base. Not to mention any 3rd party code that can't be exposed due to NDAs.

Releasing the source code of a game isn't a trivial task.
>>
>>344023262
don't wanna bother making tools

don't wanna bother optimizing it to be modded

afraid it might make it easier to pirate

they use the same dumb multiplayer as GTAV
>>
>>344025203
They often can't unless they programmed everything in the game themselves.
>>
>>344023371
Her breasts are too small
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.