[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKU uUvDSXk4 Whatever happe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: treefill.jpg (140 KB, 1000x375) Image search: [Google]
treefill.jpg
140 KB, 1000x375
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUuUvDSXk4

Whatever happened to this technology?
>>
>>344018281
Snakeoil you fucking retard.
>>
>>344018281

it ended up being applied for some kind of street map thing
>>
Man, remember when all those shills were viral marketing this tech every single day? Such a fucking scam. Well, not really a scam necessarily, it works well for maps/street views/etc, and maybe a virtual museum tour or something.

But this tech was never going to be used for games, despite the massive shilling claiming otherwise.
>>
>>344019102

So really it would only ever work for something like a walking simulator?
>>
>>344019102
Yup, they just said it's for video games to gain publicity. They used gullible gamers to advertise it for them.
>>
>>344019247
>>344019285
This.
They ended up finding other uses for it within other fields.
>>
>>344018281
from what i understood that technology didn't allow for moving objects. it only allowed for static ones.
so that thing found application in other fields, like other anons said, but it probably will never be used in games
>>
>>344019102
I remember seeing something where they scanned historical monuments and rendered them
>>
>>344018281
So, essentially a fucking 3d scan?
>>
>>344020235
no, they are claiming they can have an absurd (infinite, as they call it) amount of detail without necessarily having a super powerful rig to render it.
>>
so why can't it be used for games anyway
>>
>>344019102
>Man, remember when all those shills were viral marketing this tech every single day
... shit, I do.

Fucking hell it feels like ages ago.
>>
>>344018281
Fuck that technology, what ever happened to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c_PVtMIz-A
>>
>>344020864
but anon, tessellation IS used in some games
>>
INFINITE POINT CLOUD DAH-TAH
>>
>>344021028
What games have tessellation to that level
>>
>>344018281
This technology's fucking shit for actual games because animating things in it is a nightmare as is hitscan calculation and shit like that. It's extremely inefficient and pointless and your PC can't render that amount of fucking voxels.
>>
How would you even texture this?
>>
>>344021228
devs are lazy and don't want to invest time into learning new things
>>
SPEED TREE
P
E
E
D

T
R
E
E
>>
>>344020802
Seems like it can only work for static environments, games usually require animation so you couldn't make a video game out of this technology unless it was some kind of first person walking simulator.
>>
>>344018281
...so
basically
it's an extreme high level of detail model?
>>
I've spoken to several people who've worked under Bruce. Apparently he's too far up his own arse to realise the shortcomings of the tech they're trying to develop.
>>
>>344021228
lots of games that have Nvidia backing!
>>
>>344022035
Specifically...
>>
>>344018281
Aren't they being funded by their country's government? So basically they're milking this until the end of time.
>>
>>344022073
x64 tesselation for the witcher 3 hairworks (it doesn't actually get used meaningfully but still causes performance drops)
there's other games but I forget
>>
>>344019102
Except they have it working in-game in a center in Queensland, with a hologram gimmick.
Games industry is in bed with with AMD and Nvidia who profit from slow, gradual improvement so they made their own games instead.
>>
>>344022249
Yeah that isnt actually relevant is it
>>
>>344022214

nothing is animated, so it looks fake. It is incredibly high detail and looks great, but as soon as you animate it, it shits the bed.
>>
>>344019102
The tech works for static environments. Animating INFINITE polygons is an entirely different venture.
>>
>>344022214

No.

They just got a government grant, not even remotely an unusual occurrence for a company with a promising idea.
>>
>>344021276
Still superior in the long run. Just because we can't do real time ray tracing now doesn't mean it's not a long term goal.
>>
File: 1462301870253.jpg (71 KB, 647x594) Image search: [Google]
1462301870253.jpg
71 KB, 647x594
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A3D
>>
>>344022574
>>344022607
Ok, again, they have a center in Queensland using their tech in their own game and it works just as they say it does, animations don't shit any bed.
>>
>>344022607
That would make for wicked gore physics.
>>
File: Satan.jpg (261 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Satan.jpg
261 KB, 1280x720
What if I could promise you INFINITE detail?
>>
File: sdfsdf33.png (4 MB, 2033x1139) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdf33.png
4 MB, 2033x1139
They're making 'holo' displays now. They've set up a center on the East Coast of Australia
>>
>>344023245

he should be tried for his Milo shit
>>
File: Tgmlow6.jpg (2 MB, 2250x3000) Image search: [Google]
Tgmlow6.jpg
2 MB, 2250x3000
>>344018281
>>344019102
games already look better than that
>>
File: Mr_Meme.png (158 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Mr_Meme.png
158 KB, 800x600
>>344023245
Wow people said witcher 3 was terribly downgraded and I can see their point, look at this original E3 model of Gaunter O'dimm. So lifelike!
>>
The goofy shit about video graphics is there are things called 'serious games' which get massive amounts of funding from government bodies. so a lot of companies tend to do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game

Video game devs tend to be on the, for lack of a better phrase, 'lower-skilled end' of this kind of field.
>>
>>344018281
>unlimited scam
what technology?
we dropped voxels from gaming good 20 years ago,they were only useful in early game industry life before an unified solution for 3d rendering
polygons are fucking light years ahead of their crappy point cloud vertex renderer solution

also you can see their "engine" work real time in a browser on theirs official website, basically its just a point cloud renderer like any other used for large 3d scanned databases

their vertex solution comes with impossible to solve problems, like
-no way to do real time lighting
-insane disc space requirements measure in teraytes of data
-no way to do physics
-no way to blend or overlay details
-no way to do animations

basically a dead end tech with no future and no place in modern game development workflow that only work for static very smal unmoving prebaked environments
repeating te same 20 objects over a sapce of 1 million miles isnt exactly what i would call usefull
>>
>>344023527
How does it feel to be blind?
>>
>>344024419
he's right thoughthe pic he posted looks much better than anything euclideon ever showed us
>>
>>344019247
>So really it would only ever work for something like a walking simulator?
no
only for tiny environments
its like megatextures only with no way to compress the data as well as you can do with 2d images

gone homo done in this engine at a resolution needed to make it look not shit would take up few terabytes

its why point cloud data bases of cities and buildings mostly consists of empty space
>>
>>344024630
this
>>
>>344024630
Again, are you blind? In the picture I replied to you can practically count the polygons on the trees and especially the terrain.
>>
>>344022250
>Except they have it working in-game in a center in Queensland, with a hologram gimmick.

Mind posting more info?
>>
>>344025117
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-06/brisbane-man-set-to-open-world-first-hologram-centre/7386716
>>
>>344022250
they aren't making "games" anon.
they're just making walking simulators.
>>
>>344018281
jesus fuck that guy's voice, i want to strangle him so bad
>>
>>344025285
They're making both.
>>
Bitch please. The vanishing of Ethan Carter
>>
>>344018281

He was basically an amateur programmer who conned the Australian government into giving him a few millions dollars in a tech start up grant by showing them a shitty voxel demo and trying to pass it off as something new. Everything backfired when they couldn't show animation and it wasn't useable in game, so they instead used the left over money to create a compressed 3d lazer scanned aerial map using voxels. He then resurfaced to show the "voxel game engine" again with animation. there was no progress at all.
>>
>>344025210

Holy shit that's some bad writing.

I especially love "Photo: People are set to feel like they are in places throughout the world."
>>
>>344025839
And they now have functioning amateur games running on it with animation.
According to the CEO, they're contracted with the largest geospacial company in the world and they're using their tech, if he did that with leftover grant money from some failed game graphics project, that's pretty impressive.
>>
>>344026180

Forget the bad writing, that's a blatant promo piece for the company.

Problem is that's the fucking ABC, the publicly funded Australian media network. Ads are a big no-no for the ABC.

Considering he's getting rule breaking fluff pieces on the ABC and a government grant I'm guessing the guy who owns Euclideon has some high up friends in the government.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.