[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know, I've been wondering how Gordon was able to take
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: gorfre.png (171 KB, 337x414) Image search: [Google]
gorfre.png
171 KB, 337x414
You know, I've been wondering how Gordon was able to take out trained soldiers and use a gun better than them.I have a theory, I want to know what you guys think.

Basically, Gordon, being another broke college student, needed a way to pay for his school, either as an undergrad or a grad student. So, he joined the ROTC, probably with the army or marines since I don't think Air Force or Navy weapons training is extensive enough to be THAT deadly. By the time he got out of college, he was already deadly with firearms, helping him to survive aliens, marines and combine forces. What do you think?
>>
it's just a video game who cares you autist
>>
He took the training course
>>
>>343929159
This is probably canon.

I like ops idea though.
>>
>>343929034
How about fuck you?
If you have nothing to contribute, stay quiet.
#eatadick #fuckhead #immadbro
>>
>>343929159
This desu
>>
>>343929034
>it's just a video game who cares
>browses /v/

>>343929159
>>343929240
I think it is canon I was looking around on reddit to see if anyone else had the same idea. apparently not but they did bring up the training course.
>>
>>343929307
This isn't real right?
>>
>>343929679
#realtalk #chokeachode
>>
>>343928915

It's the suit
>>
How much more effective would Gordon be in combat if he hadn't immediately thrown the HEV suit's helmet into a garbage can at the start of HL1? Head crabs, at least, would be a non-issue.
>>
>>343929615
>>343929809
>>343929034
>>343928915
sage
>>
File: is this nigga serious.jpg (1 MB, 3528x2449) Image search: [Google]
is this nigga serious.jpg
1 MB, 3528x2449
>>343929034
>>>/out/

>>343929307
>using tumblr tags
#cancer

>>343929159
also the power of a suit that talks

besides you don't need much training when you throw toilets at people later in the series
>>
You know what bothers me?

How is Gordon able to breathe in Xen?

It's a completely alien dimension, with most of the land masses are just floating in space, with no discernible atmosphere.

Humans need a very specific balance of gasses to breathe, and I doubt an alien dimension is going to have that perfect balance.

Also, how do his glasses never get dirty? He's constantly crawling through dirty vents, green goop, and muddy water, but his glasses never get so much as a smudge.

Why even give Gordon glasses if it has absolutely no impact in the gameplay, or in the narrative?
>>
>>343930010
We don't actually know if he doesn't wear his helmet as that is all just promotional art. Makes sense if he does have it on because of the environments he is able to survive in.
Also with the headcrabs they don't immediately take you over like they do with other people and they just do standard attacks against Gordon.
>>
>>343930337
How can the aliens in xen breath on Earth if there's a different oxygen compound? They aren't even native to xen in the first place
>>
>>343930337
He maybe removes them at times or cleans them, and for Xen you can ask Valve
>>
>>343930534
That could be true. But also, when you're bringing Alyx along with you in chapters like lowlife, headcrabs still do standard attacks rather than latch on. So idk how well that could be used as a supporting argument. Also, when he puts on the suit in Kleiner's Lab in HL2, didn't the suit not have a helmet?
>>
>>343930130
#trudat
>>
>>343928915
Wasn't it said somewhere that the suit helps him tremendously by helping him keep his arms steady so his aiming is improved and the recoil is reduced?
>>
>>343930534
hmm but if he didn't have a helmet then he wouldn't have the HUD...

fuck this idk
>>
>>343931634
it's projected onto his glasses
>>
>>343928915
It could be that he is just quick to learn how to use tools and items. Even with military training it may be difficult to use a weapon like that experimental one that blows up the previous users in the first game(I forget the name, but you can charge it up). He's just a highly adaptive scientist, I think
>>
It's a video game.

You might as well be asking "How can Gordon carry 10 different weapon and all the ammo for it" or "Why does the suit waste energy on Oxygen when it doesn't even have a helmet"
>>
>>343932291
oh yeah that's right. Damn this is a huge plothole that valve needs to fix...maybe if they said it's a retractable helmet?
>>
File: Soldier_bed.jpg (96 KB, 277x662) Image search: [Google]
Soldier_bed.jpg
96 KB, 277x662
>>343928915
Overwatch soldiers don't do much if any practical training instead of tactical knowledge and weapon skills getting implanted directly to their brain after they've been stripped from their humanity, so they might be unable to think on their feet or adapt and just act like dumb automatons they are.
Maybe it could be an ingame explanation for enemy AI limitations.
>>
He probably went to the Black Mesa shooting range, like Barney did.
>>
>>343933648
Combine soldiers do have a few little bits of humanity left, probably unintentionally- iirc shotgunners will laugh after splattering you across a wall, and all non-Metrocops will shout FUCK after you throw their grenade back at them.
>>
He hung out with Barney all the time who was only a security guard but also a better soldier than those marines
Plus I live in new mexico, there isn't a lot to do out here besides get drunk and shoot stuff in the desert
>>
>>343930337
The Xen aliens can breathe on Earth, so it probably has a similar atmosphere

As for the gravity it's a different dimension so physics works differently there or something

As for the glasses thing they actually did experiment with a mechanic for the first one where some enemies could knock them off and his vision would be blurry till he recovered them, but it was annoying as hell so they scrapped it
>>
>shotgunners will laugh
Never experiences this. Also it wasn't FUCK but SHIT what the soldiers yell.
>>
>>343933648
These guys are supposed to be hardcore operator badasses, but half-life has a shitload of plot armor so they basically end up being as worthless as Storm Troopers from Starwars.

I really want a game where you play as Combine Overwatch soldiers, operating operationally through dimensions against aliens and crushing uprisings.
>>
>>343931634
Maybe he has special science glasses or something
>>
it's a videogame that vaguely rips off the doom series. yes, it adds more story, but do you really expect any of it to make sense?
>>
>>343930337
In Half Life Raising the Bar there's a section on some enemy concepts and one of the aliens was supposed to be able to knock Gordon's glasses off making the screen blurry for some time.
>>
It's an intro to guns course that everyone's required to take at MIT.

Source: I go to the South's very own MIT.
>>
>>343935586
In MGS1 the Genome soldiers were supposed to be 180 IQ super special vr-trained counter-terrorism unit but iirc the given explanation why PC can slaughter them like nothing was that they didn't have any real combat experience, and so I felt HL2'd have a bullshit explanation in the same vein.
>>
>>343936270
>vaguely rips off doom

Why? Because its an FPS? Really?
>>
>>343929159
this
>>
>>343930337

The aliens obviously chose a planet with a similar atmosphere to theirs.
>>
>>343936476
>scientists fuck up and unleash beings from another dimension
>you're the one dude bad enough to murder them all
>>
>>343933648
You know this gets me wondering how modified the combine soldiers are because when you kill a zombine and the headcrab comes off, there's no skull, only a jaw.
>>
>>343936876
their vocal module things are in their throats
>>
>>343936289
you missed the part where it was supposed to rape the player
>>
Some people are just inherently good at things, even before they've ever touched them. Gordon is clearly very good at survival and combat. He doesn't need a background in the military or cadets.
>>
>>343936876
Maybe their skulls get soft during brainwash and so headcrabs can just digest the whole head. That's why they never take their helmets off, it serves as necessary exoskeleton to their modified body.
>>
>>343937379
Pic related
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.