[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game actually worth playing /v/? If so which version
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1
File: Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (56 KB, 256x369) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
56 KB, 256x369
Is this game actually worth playing /v/? If so which version is the best one?
>>
DS2 is very worthwhile, best gameplay of the series.
>>
>>343857348
It's alright. I'd say Scholar's the best, but it comes down to preference really.
>>
>>343857348
Worst game in the series, still a great game.

I'd recommend next-gen/DX11 SotFS
>>
>>343857348
its the best souls game (scholar of the first sin of course)
>>
Worst game in the series but that's not saying much when all the other games are top notch so yeah it's still worth playing if you are a fan of Soulsborne in general.
>>
Base version gives you more options on the order you can kill bosses. The keys to get to the DLC areas are found later in the game in SOTFS. Personally, I prefer being able to go strait to rotten and then Sinh.
>>
Did they up the difficulty with the SotFS version? I 100%ed all souls games including DS3 before even touching DS2 and now I'm playing it for the first time in the SotFS and having more trouble with it than I've ever had with a souls game.
>>
>>343857348
it's comfy but 1 and 3 are better. also sotfs is garbage and your weapons will deteriorate extremely fast due to a frame-rate glitch. i'd look into that before pirating the game, also get CE otherwise it's pretty fucking boring.
>>
>>343858171
>also sotfs is garbage and your weapons will deteriorate extremely fast due to a frame-rate glitch.

fuck off, this has been fixed a long time ago
>>
>>343858067
It is meme level hard due to gank squad bosses and equipment deterioration. Definitely the souls game with the longest 1st playthrough.
>>
>>343857348
Only if you've played all 4 of the other souls games first and are dying for more.
>>
>>343857512
Yep gotta love adaptability
>>
>>343858067
SOFTS increased enemy density in some areas, particularly the beginning of the game
>>
>>343859495
this they just put x10 more dudes everywere and called it dificulty, its just forces dificulty i hate it stoped playing because enemy design was so shit, eneny placement was even more shit FUCK man ds1 and ds3 is the shit
>>
>>343858067
the early game is a bit more challenging because they dropped more enemies there

but they also removed enemies from formerly very tedious places
>>
>>343857348
I played 130 hours of SoTFS and mostly loved every minute of it. If you can put up with some frustrating design decisions here and there, its still really good.
>>
So, I played vanilla Dark Souls 2 nearly 4 times over. I never played any of the dlcs, or updated releases. How do they compare? Before I even touch 3, I wanna try the final version of 2 - how is it different? I played 2 entirely within the first months of release.
>>
>>343857348
No. Its really not.
>>
>>343857348
Yes, only played the standard version though
>>
I'd go for it, I enjoyed it more than the first one
>>
>>343857348
1 > 2 > 3

maybe i'm bored of these games, but 3 just didn't interest me anymore
>>
>>343857348
>>343857679
>>343857724
>>343857802
DaS2 was trash until I got the scholar of the first sin version, now i'm in love with playing it despite the games silly flaws.
>>
>>343860154
Santiers spear isn't as good anymore, and in my experience the online is shit. Always get killed when I'm far away from the enemy by some phantom hit detection and when I see my weapon making contact with them and making the hit detection sound they get no damage. It wasn't like that with DS1.

Played them on PC BTW.
>>
>>343857348
Sure, if you like Dark Souls. There are things I really don't like about DaS2, but it is overall a great experience.

>>343859035
Maybe this used to be the case globally, but I can confirm there are at least a couple weapons that still suffer from it today.

The Old Whip, for example.
>>
>>343859290
It is a nice stat that made you use your consumables faster right?Great for chugging knives and bombs,right?
>>
>>343863813
>The Old Whip, for example.
We'll it is and OLD whip m8. You'd expect it to go to shit faster :^) it has pretty low durability too.
>>
>>343865270
It has twice as much durability as, say Darkdrift and yet will break about twelve times faster.
>>
>>343857348
dark souls 1 set a standard, it was hard to surprised players without changing a few things but it did it

I'm disappointed on how magic/pyro/miracles were nerfed but that's still a very good game
>>
>just started playing 2 after finishing DaS
>buy 3 because sale
>start wanting to play 3 instead
help
>>
>>343858032
>The keys to get to the DLC areas are found later in the game in SOTFS. Personally, I prefer being able to go strait to rotten and then Sinh.
There's not really much difference. When you're at the point where you can see the entrance to the DLC, the key is really not far away.

>when you're at the Rotten, you can already drop down, kill the giants and get the key for the Pit which in return gives the key for the DLC
>when you're at the Old Iron King, you can already get the key at the entrance of Iron Keep with the fires extinguished for the other DLC key in FotFG
>when you're at the Shrine of Winter, just do a quick sprint to the room after the stone soldiers and the Ruin Sentinels

And I'd say you can go on Duke's path earlier in Scholar than vanilla because you can buy a Fragrant Branch from the merchant in FotFG.
>>
>>343857512
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>343859836
>this they just put x10 more dudes everywere and called it dificulty, its just forces dificulty i hate it stoped playing because enemy design was so shit, eneny placement was even more shit FUCK man ds1 and ds3 is the shit
I think it's funny how the encounters in SotFS actually force you to use your brain to not drop dead against x10 dudes.
>>
>>343860154
>I wanna try the final version of 2 - how is it different? I played 2 entirely within the first months of release.
There are some obvious changes, some less obvious changes like the undeads in the huts of Huntman's Copse instead of being fucking empty and devoid of purpose.
>>
Burnt Ivory King is the highest point of the series
>>
>>343862620

There isn't nearly enough changes in SotFS to make it significantly different. It is definitely the better version, but it retains virtually every weakness that the original DS2 had.
>>
>>343857348
If you enjoy fighting NPC invaders that have five times the health of a normal player and can freely roll out of any of your combos then get Scholars because you'll be fighting a lot of them.
>>
>>343869516
I've put 70 hours into SotFS and fought maybe a handful, so I can only assume you're exaggerating heavily. And unlike the ones in DaS1, at least they're clever sometimes, instead of just bumrushing you.

Let me tell you about fucking Maldron the Assassin, who not only waited until I walked past his hiding spot before attempting to go for a backstab, but didn't even stick around for a real fight before dashing off to wait for me at the bottom of a pitch-black staircase filled with enemies and curse urns.

That all said, they do cancel out of combos and that's shitty.
>>
>>343857348
Yes OP play the game, it's not as bad as people /v/ makes it out and i actually prefer ds2 over ds3, i don't know, ds3 felt like a meme at this point.
It also has power stancing so i would suggest trying that out since none of the other games have that(ds3 dual wielding is shit imo)
>>
>>343870398
Power Stancing is shit too, but I appreciate From's attempt to make dual wielding more interesting.
>>
Just started DS2, can you get invaded while hollow? Also you become human after a successful summon?
>>
>>343857348
Best game of the series.Totally worth it.
>>
>>343873128
>can you get invaded while hollow?
Yup.

>Also you become human after a successful summon?
I think so? I don't remember.
>>
>>343873128
Yes and Yes
>>
>>343873128
>can you get invaded while hollow?

Yes, though in my experience invasions in DaS2 are less common across the board. I got invaded maybe twice across my playthrough, granted this isn't exactly the game's heyday.

Also the more hollowed you are (the less health you have) the lower on the priority list you are for invasions.

>Also you become human after a successful summon?
Yes.
>>
>>343865765
That's just how whips are in das2. Halberds are the same.
>>
>>343873384
Well there is a way to farm red fragments indefinitely(red arena) and now with the agape ring i can stay the same SM so i am invading a lot.

The problem is most people don't know how to effectively twink in this game.
>>
>>343857348
i started it two weeks ago the scholar edition.
i find it better than 3 cause the movesets are far cooler. still it's outdated, can't get hd graphics like das and the original controls sucks without scripting them.
it's a 5/7.
>>
>>343874546
>the original controls sucks without scripting them
The controls are miles better than the controls in DaS. The only problem is when you try and combo up a jumping attack.
>>
>>343868737
>just started playing 3 after finishing 2
>get near the end and find myself bored, frustrated with how much a step back it is in some areas
>start wanting to play 2 instead
it's a funky forest kind of feel
>>
>>343857802
yes
>>
>>343874678
well the controler for das saves it while i couldn't handle das2 for shit. the key/mouse was really shitty for me, i mean enter to pick up stuff?
at least das3 made the key/mouse awesome.
>>
>>343857512
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
>>
>>343860864
My nigga
>>
>>343874873
>using a controller
M&K is awesome on DaS 2.
>>
>>343857348
the one where you slit your throat in agony
>>
>>343874873
You know that you can rebind your keys right?

I am using *wsad* for movement *e* for picking up, *ctrl* for jumping, *space* for rolling, *12* for changing weapons/shields, *34* for spells and consumables, *q* for using consumables, *c* for two-handing main weapon, *xz* to toggle running or walking and my mouse for attacking/blocking.
>>
>>343857348
2 would arguably be the best game in the series overall, each game has its strong points and bad points.

That is it WOULD BE, if it weren't for one very glaring bad thing in it.

SOUL MEMEMORY
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.