[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Ocean 5 Thread Would you say no to Annie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12
File: AnneSoCute.webm (779 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
AnneSoCute.webm
779 KB, 1920x1080
Would you?
>>
>>343802921
WHOOPS ANNE KILL ME.
>>
I'd snack her snukie
>>
This fucking game. I can't remember 4 being this trash. There's not even a sci-fi world they go to, just some backwards medieval planet. And what's up with the fucking combat? Did they even try to balance this shit? I don't know who was in charge of this turd, but I'd consider sudoku ASAP
>>
>>343802921
I enjoyed Zero Time Dilemma, Atelier Sophie, and fucking Tales of Zestiria more than this garbage, which I didn't think was possible. Only JRPG I've played this year that I thought was worse was Nights of Azure.
>>
>>343806540
Don't remind me of the shit combat. Yeah, it's broken and easy as fuck to spam and kill everyone but that Resulia battle when enemies just spawned continuously was a joke.
>kill enemies
>FINISHED
>leave battle
>enemies respawn on top of you
>meander about
>START BATTLE
>FINISHED
>leave battle combat
>stand in place
>enemies respawn again
>pause
>try to attack
>pause
>pause
>START BATTLE

It's fucking atrocious. I mean why not just make it musou style and attack whoever you want whenever you want? Targeting system? Fucking trash.
>>
>>343807718

I hear you, dont forget about the 20 minute unskippable cutscenes, the backtracking, the protect anne bullshit, the list goes on and on. You cant even slot more than 2 active combat skills, the game literally forces you to spam double slash ALL GAME because for some reason all the other moves you get do less damage and CC less. I'm fucking baffled by this game.
>>
File: fiore5.jpg (293 KB, 840x700) Image search: [Google]
fiore5.jpg
293 KB, 840x700
>>343802921
Anne's cooking sucks. Miki is annoying. Relia is buttfucking annoying.
>Miki I want to help! Miki I want to help! Fidel I'll do my best! Miki I want to help.
Fiore for anal and blowjobs. I didn't give two shits about anyone in this game.
>>
File: 1313950713667.png (68 KB, 503x535) Image search: [Google]
1313950713667.png
68 KB, 503x535
>>343806540
>play star ocean
>expect some awesome sci adventuran
>it is medieval shit everytime
>>
>>343808548

I mean, I always expect some sort of backwards planet shit, but this time it was 100% of that shit. Why is it called star ocean if you only go to 1 planet. What the fuck, family.
>>
>>343808281
What's worse is that you only enter combat under two circumstances. Preemptive Strike or an enemy attacks you. Let's say you're running up to an enemy to start a preemptive strike and it suddenly turns around, notices you and attacks. You easily sidestep or avoid it but you still do not enter combat (unsheathe your sword) until you're hit. It's goddamn terrible.
>Short
>Long
In a 3D game where you're confined to a circle combat zone and can freely move about?
>>
>this whole thread

I had heard it was bad, but damn. Is it really this bad, guys?
>>
>>343809263

It's the worst game in the series hands down. Here's a list of all the dumb shit:

- 2 Button Combat
- Endless backtracking
- Unskippable cutscenes that drag on forever, better remember to save because if you get one shot by a random enemy group after you'll rewatch all that shit again.
- Speaking of saving, no retry option for combat
- Even for a JRPG the dialogue is cringey as FUCK
- Story is trash that a potato can come up with
- NO SCIFI SHIT WHATSOEVER
- Graphics are trash, is this a ps3 game? Jesus titty-fucking Christ
- Combat is imbalanced as fuck

I'm sure there's other shit, but holy hell, tri-ace really dropped the ball down the abyss on this one.
>>
File: fiore2.jpg (152 KB, 688x1000) Image search: [Google]
fiore2.jpg
152 KB, 688x1000
>>343809263
The game feels rushed, dead and has no soul. The combat is complete shit yet piss easy with just spamming the same attack over and over. They teach you the usual rock, paper, scissors (guard, counter, attack) battle scheme in the beginning tutorial but there is NO reason to abide by it. Either spam strong attacks or just outright use skill arts to kill everything easily.
>circular combat zone
>7 player party fighting in this zone against 5+ enemies
>magic, skills etc being thrown EVERYWHERE
>can't keep track of what the fuck is going on
>hold down O to spam shit
>kill everything
Yeah, let's keep doing that rock, paper scissors shit.
>"We wanted to open up Star Ocean to a whole new audience"
>"We also decided to keep the same flawed mechanics that have plagued the series for years"
>"We just decided to make it shorter."

Brav-fucking-O. In other news, Fiore has great tits and ass.
>>
I get the feeling this game was preparing us for what to expect in Final Fantasy XV, especially combat wise.
>multiple party charging across an open world
Check
>big lifeless world?
Check
>combat where your whole party is running about wildly while you can switch between characters?
Check
>cringe dialogue
Check

If FFXV bombs Squeenix will go under.
>>
>>343810654
>implying that will happen with final fantasy 7 remake episode bullshit covering them

That one will succeed whether it is good or not, and will even have dlc milking too.
>>
>>343808548

Star Ocean 4 was pretty good with the space travel. You visit present day earth, bug planet, snowy hobbit planet, advanced lizard mother ship, gallactic federation base, cat people planet, and that other dimension where the final boss is at. MC was a whiny faggot but he followed protocol every step of the way despite being called Edge fucking Maverick.
>>
File: fiore.png (917 KB, 792x982) Image search: [Google]
fiore.png
917 KB, 792x982
>>
File: 1434109726322.jpg (301 KB, 932x918) Image search: [Google]
1434109726322.jpg
301 KB, 932x918
>>343809940
>Heres the dumb shit
>2 Button combat

Kill yourself, tell me Souls or FFXV doesnt have 1-2 button combat. Maximum autismo, id tell you more about how wrong you are but im busy playing the game.
>>
>>343809263
Nah man its not bad, just a bunch of sad pc pleb race with nothing to play. Just shitposting.
>>
>>343814334

Please tell me about how wrong I am. Please. Tell me of some other way to play this game then to spam double slash.
>>
>>343814461

I'd rather be a pc pleb with nothing to play than the idort who bought this piece of hot garbage.
>>
>>343814759
Please tell me a different way to play Dark Souls than just using Estoc and spamming R1 on everything. Please tell me a different way of playing KH2FM Level 1 without pressing X.

Truth is you are a faggot, wrong, and havent played the game on Chaos mode.

Must suck having nothing new to play on pc
>>
File: 1461193520515.gif (569 KB, 162x152) Image search: [Google]
1461193520515.gif
569 KB, 162x152
>>343814940
>When you know he plays the shitpost game on his PC in the summer of 2016.
>>
>>343815454

Why would I bother replaying this game on a more tedious difficulty? All I would do is spam the same attack with Dead Man and berserker.

You can call me a faggot all you want, but the truth is this game is shit. You can justify your giant e-penis with whatever you like, but saying you need to play a game on some bullshit difficulty for it to become good is a dumb argument.
>>
>>343815990
Truth is you wouldn't be able to heal up properly that early in the game with deadman without wasting all resources in a single fight. Not for a long while after.

Fuck off son, I can tell you haven't played the game and think you know what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>>343802921
I love these face animations, does anyone have any more ?
>>
File: FioreShhh.webm (421 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
FioreShhh.webm
421 KB, 1280x720
>>343816967
>>
>>343816928

I finished the game this morning, not that you'll believe me with tri-ace's dick so far up your throat. You're right though, I probably would die early with that role, but the thing is, I'll never find out because it's gonna be a cold day in hell before I shove this shit back in my mouth. Keep doing you, senpai.
>>
>>343817329
He is so cute ! Any of the girls?
>>
>>343815454
I actually play DS3 on a pure mage build, since I heard that was pretty hard. R1 for my mail breaker, L1 for spells. Have to cycle through them for different spells, since only certain weapons can use certain spells.

Going melee is simpler but mage is pretty fun.
>>
>>343817570
nope im out annes my fave
>>
>>343816928
>I can tell you haven't played the game

Why am I seeing this dumbass cop-out statement being pile driven into the ground? I've played the damn game. How I feel about Star Ocean is basically how I would feel if Demon's Souls fixed none of it's problems, did not listen to criticism, and did not adapt and improve with each game. Star Ocean makes half-assed attempts to improve (blindsiding), but the broken aspects of the game haven't aged well. It's time to stop being stagnant Star Ocean. 7 years ago souls was nothing. You've had 20 years and you'v honestly gone backwards in some areas.
>>
>>343814334
>Kill yourself, tell me Souls or FFXV doesnt have 1-2 button combat.

I think I'll kill you instead thanks. FF XV guarding actually means something. The combo attacks with Galdio feel fun and rewarding versus strong attack spam.

Unless you're talking about Demon's Souls when pure magic builds literally break any and all fun the game has to offer, most of the other games have a lot of finesse to the combat. Once again defensive play means more. Star Ocean favors heavy offense as long as your healers live. Its the perfect game to pretend you're pro at. Even take a look at older games like Vesperia where getting the right combos down actually took some skill and finesse.
>>
>>343810654
Star Ocean has and always has been way more cringe than FF. The only one that comes close to cringe is FFX and its mostly because of Tidus.
>>
>>343810654
Tin foil hat time: Square secretly pressured tri-ace to put this turd out early, so FF XV will seem much better than it actually is.The game will taste better after having a shit taste in my mouth for so long. I'll wash it off soon though when I am Setsuna comes out.
>>
>>343821078
>I am Setsuna
Just go play FF1 with a fan blowing on you.
>>
>>343818348
nah that sounds pretty boring and shit anyways DS gameplay was always western ass combat.
>>
>>343809263
Mediocre, disappointing, below average. Basically every word in the dictionary that means better than shit but worse than average. I'm not even trying to shit post here, the game is below average in NEARLY every way.
>>
>>343820626
>Vesperia
that was a good game. Not as good as TtEoT
>>
>>343809263
The thing is JRPG fans enjoy basically everything in the genre. They're the most thin-skinned people imaginable. NOTHING can be criticized, nothing is shit, nothing is bad as long as it has no bugs in it. They're like Famitsu's rating system incarnate. All review sites should just stick to giving every JRPG an 8/10, 9/10, or 10/10 to avoid backlash from fans and get these insecure faggots to shut the hell up about their beloved games. If you like the game so much, stop getting butt hurt over negative opinions and enjoy playing the game so I don't have to hear your reasons for justifying your purchase.
>>
AIRRAIDAIRRAIDAIRRAIDAIRRRAID
>>
>>343811016
Versus this game with no space travel at all. The final areas are space-like but don't really count as travel.
>>
>>343802921
Yes I would say no. Fiore only. Silly little Relia and her HELP ME! I WANT TO HELP! Actually fuck this game in general, I just beat final boss pedo general space octopus man and I want my money back now.
>>
>>343822047
SIDE KICK
SIDE KICK
SIDE KICK
SIDE KICK
>>
Any more webms? Anything?
>>
>>343814461
Denial is one hell of a drug. I don't know about other posters here but I'm a hard core Tales fag. I thought Star Ocean 3 was ok, but had a lot of technical and balance flaws it needed to clear up. Same impression I had when Demon's Souls came out. Now it's over 7 years later and one series has grown, adapted, and evolved into something amazing while the other has remained stagnant and fixed none of its older problems. Star Ocean 4 was a step backwards from 3, and this is game is both a step forwards but also backwards in many areas.
>>
>>343802921
Fucking uncanny valley get it away from me
>>
File: fuckouttahere.jpg (32 KB, 480x358) Image search: [Google]
fuckouttahere.jpg
32 KB, 480x358
>>343823502
stfu who cares its fun. thats why i play games everyone wants muh deep and complex i just wanted to chill and play a game when i bought this, suck a fucking fat one God damn /v/ is cancer
>>
>>343814334
>>343809263
I'm not at all surprised by the western reviews. What is surprising is just how many faggots are defending this shit when the Japanese crowd themselves criticize the story and other elements. These are the guys who love Sword Art Online and even THEY had the fucking spine to call companies like Tri-Ace out on their bullshit. Western games have become spineless and more beta than Japan. Lets just default to giving all JRPGS 9/10 and then we can all be happy.
>>
>>343808773
1 fucking planet. SO3 and SO4 had like 3-4.
Star Ocean was already a mediocre series. The fact that after 20 years they're still taking steps backwards blows my mind. Blows my mind further that standards for JRPGs have fallen as well. The game is meh, but it's more like the apathetic attitude towards Tri-Ace's under budget faggotry is getting me mad.
>>
File: DidIHitANerve.jpg (157 KB, 1298x765) Image search: [Google]
DidIHitANerve.jpg
157 KB, 1298x765
>>343823981
Not even having a chill time after 25 hours bruh. Couldn't give a shit about deep and complex stories. Fun? for about 10 hours but the game has objective flaws. I guess the Amazon reviews, the game site reviews, metacritic fan reviews, RPGsite reviews, MY VIEW.
Everyone and anyone who has a negative opinion about the game is cancer to you. Feel free to leave /v/ and your safe space if can't handle others' opinions.
>>
>>343822047
>>343822820
Fun as hell but broken as fuck. I thought this cancer would be fucking nerfed in this new game.
>>
>>343802921
Not until it's $30-$40.
>>
>>343823981
Guess we're not playing the same game then. The game's fun for the first 8 or so hours with the battle system fresh in your mind. The protect battles in the middle are everything that isn't fun to me, and post game content HEAVILY favors brain dead mashing of circle. The rest is just setting your AI up properly like FF XII, but that type of let the game play itself style was never fun to me. It's literally the same post-game shit problems SO3 had. At least SO4 tried to introduce new mechanics even though they were useless because Tri-Ace doesn't understand balance.
>>
>>343823981
>>Has a different opinion than myself

>>Points out pros and cons of the game

>>Points out objective flaws in the game

>>Literally cancer or bait

Never change /v/. You never cease to impress me.
>>
>>343827375
Wait so SO5 has its own "Side Kick"? Everyone said the combat was closer to Infinite Undiscovery.
>>
>>343821162
You didn't like it? Elaborate. Unlike these cancerous Star Ocean fags I'm actually willing to listen when someone shit talks something I like.
>>
>>343821826
Fair enough. Definitely not as good as this Star Ocean though. Being mildly better than 4 doesn't stop it from sucking in too many places.
>>
Just completed it, the game is fine but full of so many small issues that they ruin the experience. The worst part is, most of these small issues should not have made it into the final game.

Most of the issues could easily be fixed with a patch, but this is a small no budget single player Japanese game. So they wont.
>>
>>343809263
>>343809985
>>343809940
>>343814334
>>343814461
>>343815454
>>343815830
>>343816928
>>343823981
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXDoKgKMVvY

I never thought I'd have to use this to get you to understand.
>>
>>343828885
Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXDoKgKMVvY
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (129 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
129 KB, 1280x720
Kinda makes you appreciate star ocean 3 and 4 a bit more, huh?

At least Arumat had some really cool moves that combo'd into eachother (whirlwind attack that launches enemies -> The one that grabs them from the air and slams them back down -> forward series of melee attacks)
Naturally by the time you get to post game you don't need anything but dragon roar.
This game seems to cut out all that and just give you one move per character.
>>
>>343815454
>>343818348
Dark Souls constantly do patches though so stuff gets buffed and nerfed. Star Ocean would actually be a decent game if they just updated and patched it.
>>
The games pacing and plot are weird as fuck.

The pacing makes you feel like you're constantly in a rush with little to no downtime and 5 minutes after meeting a character the game acts like you've known them for years and are best friends.

The plot is save some little girl. In Star Ocean games it's normally some grandiose plot where travel across entire planets and you eventually save the universe. In Star Ocean 5 you save a girl.
It feels like the story in Star Ocean 5 is what would happen in another Star Ocean game before you meet the actual villain. (In Star Ocean 2 I'm pretty sure you save Rena when she is kidnapped as the first part of the game. Star Ocean 5 feels like that and once you save her you complete the game)
>>
File: crazy loli.png (353 KB, 690x664) Image search: [Google]
crazy loli.png
353 KB, 690x664
>"We don't take control away from the player," Kobayashi says. "Previously in Star Ocean you'd have a lot of long, static cut scenes that you would have to watch, then you'd play some game, then you'd watch another cut scene. Here, though, we don't want the player to feel as though they're not in charge at any point. It's a very difficult balance to get that interactivity alongside having the kind of story we want to tell, but I think the balance we've got between the dramatic storytelling and the actual gameplay is what we aimed for from the start."
Do these people actually listen to players or do they just assume shit and while their fans are screaming "NO DON'T!" they reply with "It's for your own good, this is what you want"?
Like some kind of fucked up final boss.
>>
>>343821210
DS actually releases patches unlike Star Ocean, so there are different metas and whats OP and what isn't. If Star Ocean did the same thing it would actually be a good game.
>>
>>343829468
>>343830667
It's mainly just exposing Tri-Ace's flaws as a company when they're not cranking out mobile shit. Square Enix WAS bad, but then after gamers grew a spine and learned to stand up for themselves with the release of FF XIV, they actually started listening to their community and showcasing their progress with the game, versus the radio silence we got with Star Ocean.
>>
2 > 1 > 3 > 5 > 4

I think it's time to replay 1 and 2 again soon.
>>
>>343831641

2>1>3>4=5 if you count both aesthetics, story, characters, and battle system.
>>
>>343831641
>>343833351
Why do people put 2 in such a high pedestal? The gameplay of the SNES one was much more fun than it, at the very least dodging attacks was still something you could do by moving with the cursor instead of a RPG disguised as action combat, where enemies literally run after you forever until they get to attack you.
>>
so why is it that two games later these people haven't made abetter battle system than TtEoT?

Are VP1&2 and SO2&3 theonlygood tri ace games? were those games a fluke?
>>
>>343834078
Covenant of Plume was pretty solid, too.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.