[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't there more games with developer commentary?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Why aren't there more games with developer commentary?
>>
Because it's place is on youtube
>>
>>343737815
Nah. Getting it while playing a game, you directly get to experience what they talk about. They place the stuff nearby what they want you to check out and it can be cool in a way just a video can't. Plus it gives you incentive to replay a fun game outside of just replaying it for nothing. Becomes a scavenger hunt the second time to find all the commentary pieces. Half-Life 2 Episode 2 was great with this.
>>
>>343737297
Because it's actually probably a pain in the ass to set up places where you could listen to commentary without it getting in the way of the game
>>
Why would you want it? We're already up to our noses in social media interaction, there's zero reason to hear more of what they have to say about their games, especially with so many devs just trying to make quick cash. Sounds like a waste of time.
>>
>>343738139
So don't listen to it your first time
>>
>>343738523
I mean for the developers, yeah maybe making it an unlockable for beating the game could work but still
>>
Developer commentary forces you to change the pace you play your game. A lot of people don't like that.
>>
>>343738407
A proper developer commentary isn't just on the level of some twitter post about unrelated politics or pictures of food. The point of a developer commentary is to have the developers comment on various parts of the game as you reach them. Things like why things have been structured a certain way, what they hoped to achieve in this segment, what had to be left out, an interesting anecdote about how the production turned out the way it did. There's also that fact that by being in a game, the commentary is centralized into a single item and doesn't require trawling a wiki to figure out who said what and where. One that's integrated into the game itself, like Half-Life 2, also makes it so that every bit of commentary is right at the bit of the game its about, so you can experience the commentary and the thing its commenting on close together.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, and I respect that. But I've always enjoyed these kinds of windows into the creation process. The look into how media was made or the singular nature of the circumstances surrounding it that gave it its quirks that may not be readily apparent.
>>
>>343738139
>>343738731
It depends on the game. Lots of games won't constantly be spawning enemies, meaning any moment you're done clearing a room or something, you can listen to the audio.

>>343738407
Commentary varies depending on how interestingly they make it. Most devs will talk mechanically about their games through social media, but you don't get those little cute touches of an artist talking about weird little details he added or behind the scene stories of weird shit that went on at the studio. Special feature commentary usually is a coin toss where you could get all that, or you could get a not very charismatic man who makes no real good points of interest and isn't really good at telling a story on the fly.
>>
>>343738627
Are you fucking stupid? Just put an option on the main menu, done.
>>
I don't like it in Deus Ex. Specially because it plays over the fucking cutscenes as well.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.