[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there ANY game where you actually affect the story and the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 1453693934371.jpg (133 KB, 1000x565) Image search: [Google]
1453693934371.jpg
133 KB, 1000x565
Is there ANY game where you actually affect the story and the world? I am not talking about additional 5 cutscenes or missing / adding multiple NPCs
>>
>save the world
>get a statue in your home town
>>
>>343670147
Alpha Protocol, not the world but the story.
>>
>affect the story
Every game ever?
>and the world
What the fuck does it mean
>>
>>343673379
>What the fuck does it mean

why are there so many retards on /v/?
>>
>>343673379
>What the fuck does it mean
The shit Molyneux promised years ago with Fable.
>>
>>343670147
Civilization,
>>
>>343670147
Chrono Trigger?
Souls series to a small extent, maybe.
>>
Star Wars Galaxies

RIP
>>
>>343670147
M&B Warband
>>
>>343670147
Spore.
>>
File: WjDQGCU.jpg (83 KB, 850x779) Image search: [Google]
WjDQGCU.jpg
83 KB, 850x779
>>343670147
I believe Dishonored had some sort of Chaos system that affected the story and the world.

>More Chaos = More rats/ Story line changes
>>
File: 1465088385192.jpg (59 KB, 548x480) Image search: [Google]
1465088385192.jpg
59 KB, 548x480
with the current tech I dont know why the F we dont have this.
like a GTA game where if you do more drugs missions, the city goes to shit, adicts, prostitution and murders everywhere.

or a RPG where I'm given the choice to either support the Church or the Science ministry.
Support the church: burnt "witches" are common, women wearing hijabs, ignorance and famine in the kingdom but I get better magic

Support the sciences: children going to school, trains, machinery, better weapons
>>
>>343670147
Megaman X

How has no one mentioned this?

also

Demon's Souls(world tendencies)
>>
>>343670147
Minecraft
>>
>>343670147
UNDERTALE PLAY UNDERTRAL PLAY UNDERTALE
>>
>>343670147
Fallout 3 and Fallout 4
>>
>>343674704
Todd you gotta be a little less obvious
>>
>>343670147
Deus Ex
>>
Contra: Hard Corps

I'm trying to think of an RPG that progresses differently based on your choices and where the endings are radically different.
hm
>>
The Fable games.
>>
>>343671034
>save the world
>get a statue in some shitty snow town
At least the armor is good?
>>
>>343670147
Megaman X
Super Mario 64
Super Mario World
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls 1
Chrono Trigger
Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics

and im sure there is a fuckton more...
>>
>>343670147
Witcher 1 literally changing the order you do sidequests in can have consequences to the main story and most of your decisions have consequences and you never know if you made the right choice, its a very complicated system comapred to most games
>>
>>343673379
Shit like, if you play the bad guy, the world will actually really change.
>Unleash an undead plague on the world
>It actually kills off most people and turns them into ravenous dead, towns become deserted and only major cities are left, but protections are strict as fuck
Instead of
>Unleash undead plague
>GO to town X to stop it
>You'll find some pre-set encounters on the way there, but if you go anywhere else, it's all fine and dandy
>>
>>343674336

fucking positivists
>>
>>343674336

Probably because doing things like that and making it any good at all (not recycling the same "burnt witch" model or "drug murder" event every 10 minutes) requires you to put 3 games worth of assets into a single game, and it's not worth the effort.
>>
dragon age cuckquisition
>>
Prototype sort of
>>
File: sans_512.jpg (15 KB, 345x345) Image search: [Google]
sans_512.jpg
15 KB, 345x345
>>343675183
no idea.
>>
Age of Decadence has the most branching story-line out of all "not-walking-simulator" games I can think of right now.

Gothic 1 and 2 vary quite a bit based on what class you choose to be.
>>
>>343675590
I love how the Witcher does choice in their games, in the way that you make a choice, and then later down the line a few hours later you see the result of that choice. Instead of having it either play out right away so you can just reload and do it over again or to have the choices all just be things that they promise to resolve in the sequels.
>>
>>343676336
if it's so expensive/complicated then explain
>>343674169
>>
>>343677705
That's a step in the right direction but it wasn't to the same degree as anon or especially OP was describing.
>>
No lol you expect people to actually put any effort in their ''role playing'' ''games''?
>>
>>343677705
Not him, but:
Dishonored only has two possible outcomes for each "scene" (NPC dialogue, the way missions play out etc.) and even then, the difference is almost entirely cosmetic.

Actually branching paths would mean creating many possible, parallel paths. It would also mean that it's possible for players to miss content, which is something AAA devs are currently avoiding like the plague, in favour of catering to near-blind morons who need stuff pointed out to them.

As >>343673219 said, Alpha Protocol had a lot of genuinely branching stuff. You could completely miss entire characters and their part in the story by doing missions in different orders. Enemies could be allies or vice-versa. You can even find ways to kill off every major character in the story. If they hadn't been forced to rush the game it would've been one of the best rpgs of its generation.

The other big hindrance to variety is production values. Fallout 4 shows that adding animated, spoken dialogue severly cuts down on how much actual content you can create (that and Bethesda's usual laziness).
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.