[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kingdoms of Amalur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: header.jpg?t=1447355189.jpg (38 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1447355189.jpg
38 KB, 460x215
Should I? How is the story and worldbuilding?
I played it a bit on console and foun it really fun, except the fucking retarded four hotkeys for abilities when you have like twenty per class (there is no such limitation on keyboard, right?)
>>
>MMO: The Game

Don't bother
>>
>>343634285
if its really cheap (<$5) yea try it out, its fun for a while but gets repetitive and boring because >>343634337 is right
>>
File: zdar.jpg (134 KB, 1095x815) Image search: [Google]
zdar.jpg
134 KB, 1095x815
It's okay but gets old real fast.
The story is unbearably generic, and the world is uninspired.
>>
>>343634285
It's literally a single player MMO that gets boring 2 hours in due to every quest being a fetch/kill quest, empty world populated by trash mobs and no social component that has any actually meaningful consequences.

It has all the negatives of a MMO and none of their positives. It's trash.
>>
>>343634285
The only way I've ever been able to describe the game is as the most average game I've ever played.
>>
stay away
>>
>>343634285
Lore's uniqueish in that it's all fae stuff but it's really not worth playing

It's simplified god of war style combat in a 200 hour game. Why the fuck they put the most shallow combat inimaginable in a massive game is anyone's guess
>>
>>343634491
>The story is unbearably generic, and the world is uninspired.
The same can be said of literally all "fantasy".
>>
its interesting in that it doesnt seem terribly inspired and yet it kept me hooked.
doesnt really do anything wrong lore- and worldwise.
would recommend if you are looking for a cozy fantasy world to sink a bunch of hours into.

also the asses are out of this world.
>>
>>343634285
its a signal player game that think its a MMO. its ok i guess, game gets very fucking easy fast even with the harder difficulty. its so easy to brake.
>>
>>343635528
It really can't mate

Even in vidya you have fantasy like Planescape, the Spiderweb games, King of Dragon Pass and Vampire Masquerade

Fantasy is a very diverse genre, only the lazy are generic
>>
>>343634285
its ok
a decent offline mmo
the only problem it has is the lack of content after the first half
it gets progressivly worse after you get to the other side of the map and ends with a QTE final boss fight
>>
>>343635978
Vampires.... WHOA.... Unique....
>>
>>343636259
>I guage whether if a game world is well written or generic by the tagline on the back of the case
fuck off retard
>>
>>343634285
If you like mmo games but would rather not deal with toxic human players, then give it a go.
>>
>>343636259
Amazingly almost all of fiction is about taking established concepts and doing something interesting with them. That's how originality is created

Pedophiles weren't invented in Lolita, Wales weren't invented in Moby Dick, Bulgakov didn't create satan
>>
>>343636441
>Vampires
>Not generic
Ehehe
>>
>>343636548
>Pedophile
>Whale
>Established concept
???????????????
>>
OP here, thanks for the tips, I'm gonna think about it thoroughly.
Does someone who played on PC know if the hotkey system had been improved to take advantage of a keyboard?

>>343636578
you don't know the meaning of the word "generic"
>>
>>343634285
Mediocrity: the definition.
>>
>>343636526
>If you like mmo games but would rather not deal with toxic human players, then give it a go.
These days you can solo most mmos desu
>>343636548
>Wales
oops lel

>>343636578
generic doesn't mean what you think it does. The vamps of "Vampire" aren't generic because they have unique traits, specific to that individual universe.

Generic vamps would just be bloodsuckers who hate the sun, i.e. the vamps of TES
>>
>>343634285
>worldbulidng

there is no word I hate more
>>
>>343636713
There's several novels about pedophiles that came before Lolita (i.e. Sade's works, Dosto's Demons) writing about a pedophile wasn't original or unique

What was original was the way in which Nabokov wrote about a pedophile in Lolita, that's what most originality is: taking something that's already been covered in fiction and doing something new with it.
>>
>>343636765
>Our vampires are special snowflakes
Hahahaha!
>>
>>343637078
haha lol
>>
>>343637058
> taking something that's already been covered in fiction and doing something new with it.
I've noticed a huge trend in using this as an excuse for anything that's just plain generic or more of the same. Then whenever asked what the "new" twist was, there's never a fucking answer.
>>
I actually very much enjoyed the game for its armor and weapon design, gameplay was pretty flashy and same-y all together but it was alright.

Really could've been improved by co-op and more difficulty.
>>
I got it for cheap. It's pretty comfy but otherwise average. I think it's a great game to play during winter time. The world is kinda nice looking too. I enjoy the art style. Make a qt 3.14 Mage and cheese the game.
>>
I remember not liking it at first, but I thought it was pretty fun overall. Kept me invested for a while. People will say that the combat sucked, but it was cool once you found weapons you liked.
Don't pay full price for it, but it's a good buy if it's on sale.
>>343636745
Your skills and items get mapped to 1-0 row, with one being your right click skill. Also what >>343635621 said, the asses are on point
>>
>>343634285

The story, world and art style were so bad I couldn't sink more than an hour of playtime into it. Sure, the combats fine but its not jaw dropping and doesn't save this game.
>>
I liked it.
Loot is bullshit tho. I never managed to complete a fucking set.
>>
>>343635528

No, not it couldn't. Most fantasy has at least an original idea it springs off of (see Dragonriders of Pern for example) and uses fantasy themes for familiarity.

Kingdom of Amalur rips a hundred models from Blizzard, opens up an English to Norwegian dictionary and then never creates any plot at all aside from 'my wife is missing, can you search the turnip patch for me'?
>>
The Legend of Dead Kel dlc is better than the main game.
>>
>>343634285
On keyboard you get 10 hotkeys but only one active ability at a time. You also only have one active weapon at a time and you press a key to switch between them instead of having one bound to Square and the other to Triangle. Left click uses your active weapon, and right click uses your active spell/ability. It's a bit more convenient in the fact that you can have 10 active spells, but much more cumbersome than having four spells you can activate at a moments notice.

I platinumed the game on the PS3 and then got it with all the DLC for super cheap on a sale and played a decent portion of it again on the PC. What I eventually ended up doing was plugging in a controller and using it anyway, but I would use the keyboard for the spells I don't cast that often. The game switches as soon as you input on one or the other. So I would just take a hand off the controller and hit 5 and then right click my mouse to summon the elemental familiar, for example. Then go right back to the controller. Best of both worlds but still an overall awkward control scheme.
>>
>>343639365
>opens up an English to Norwegian dictionary
It's almost all taken from gaelic
>>
>>343641552

This is me acknowledging you had more information than I did, but not being swayed at all in my opinion. I don't see any druids, there is admittedly one storyteller character, and animal imagery was hardly used did they eben look at Gaelic mythology?
>>
>>343639891
... wouldn't have been much easier to press, like, 6 to activate the spell right away instead of pressing 6 so you can press right click to activate the spell? The fuck? Maybe there is a mod for that or I can use autohotkey or something, I'll check.
Thanks a lot though. Is there that much of an input delay between pressing 6 and right click (or pressing "switch weapon" and left click) or is it fast enough to make it look seamless like a controller?
>>
>>343642259
There is no delay. It's just that with the keyboard you only have the one active weapon and one active spell/ability at a time. Hitting the hotkey or weapon swap switches them instantly.
>>
>>343642419
Got it senpai, doesn't seem too bad. I guess using left and right click for primary and secondary weapon would've made for an awkward button setup for magic, but there is really no reason not to make 1-0 hotkeys activate skills immediately.
>>
>>343642160
Stuff like Tuatha originates there
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.