[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are memes okay if they're >put in the game and the meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: bison.jpg (77 KB, 614x346) Image search: [Google]
bison.jpg
77 KB, 614x346
Are memes okay if they're
>put in the game and the meme was started from the game
>put in the game and started from another type of media of the same franchise
>put in the game's other media from the game itself (I.E. in game jokes in the comics)
>put in the game based on player input on the game where they notice things like guards who are so incompetent at their job
>as long as they weren't forced as fuck (I.E. arrow in the knee)
Pic related, I'm okay with Capcom making references to Bison's western media quotes.
>>
Meme's are fine if they're not limited to the content or a single community of fans.
>>
also while i was trying to find a good image of Bison/Dictator/whatever the fuck it is this point i found a reason to kill myself
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241944
>>
>>343581331
It's alright if they're sneaked in and sparse. If the game's humor is based on memes (like Borderlands), that's when it's bad.
>>
>>343581331
I guess it depends on how story heavy the game in question is. I don't have a problem with referencing memes from the same series so long as it doesn't cover up any important dialogue.

Random internet may mays added in to appeal to 10 year olds can fuck right off in any situation though
>>
You can throw memes in, as long as its not a half assed substitute for your lack of creative writing talent, unable to implement proper things in so you have to make up for it with forced meme humor.

See: Anthony "Faggot" Burch
>>
>>343581331
The problem with memes are they basically age a games writing as soon as they become outdated.

At most I think it's fine if a game makes jokes in refrence to the series or something in the community, as long as it's established. Stuff like leroy jenkins is fine since even today people remember it
>>
>>343583709
So timeless, well established memes that build by themselves. Not forced flavor of the month memes.
>>
If it makes absolutely zero sense to someone who hasn't experienced the meme, it's bad. An actual joke would be better.

If it can be added in in a way where it doesn't stand out as awkward to people who don't understand it, that's fine.

Bison's "delicious" in SFV is fine. If you don't know the reference the line still makes sense.
>>
File: Rash 4 SSB.jpg (52 KB, 692x484) Image search: [Google]
Rash 4 SSB.jpg
52 KB, 692x484
What about characters that logically fit into the game as they were made by the same company but were made into memes later on?
>>
>>343584810
This man understands
You can have Bison say DELICIOUS or YES, YES, and as long as the line makes sense in context people who don't know the joke won't even look at it twice

You have to be tasteful about it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.