[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So could anyone 10 years ago have guessed that video game streaming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: 1459966609433.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459966609433.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
So could anyone 10 years ago have guessed that video game streaming and YouTubeing would end up being so profitable? The popularity spike of the past 5 years alone is astounding and came out of nowhere. I truly do not understand this phenomenon.

What changed in the industry to make way for this to occur, exactly?
>>
People are getting really stupid in recent years.
>>
Kill yourself
>>
>>343577627
Fuck you
>>
File: 20150828062937.jpg (18 KB, 381x417) Image search: [Google]
20150828062937.jpg
18 KB, 381x417
>that beard
>>
>>343577627
I wish to discuss this matter seriously as it has been in the back of my head all week. I started thinking about competitive gaming and its impact on how people consume media. Since there's "pro gamers" now, it makes sense that they gather followings similar to athletes. I can understand how that works for pro gaming but the whole streaming and YouTube personality thing does not become immediately clear to me on how it starts.

Is it perhaps just people watching the same person over and over so they become attached?
>>
>>343577780
that beard is amazing

what are you talking about?
>>
>>343577858
please kill yourself
>>
>>343577938

Yes, the beard is amazing. The thing it's attached to however, is not.
>>
>>343577947
I do not mean to get into an argument with you, I merely wish to discuss the topic at hand as to shed some light on this mystery. Could you perhaps share your thoughts on it?
>>
File: 1467335035245.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1467335035245.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>343578091
>>
>>343577490
Sometimes, I daydream about where me and my friends would be if we pursued the idea togther. Then, it was just a living room joke and we all laughed it off. "People watching other people play video games? *house erupts in laughter*
>>
>>343578171
I appreciate your concern for my household's tidiness, but I just clean it earlier today.
>>
ITT: Jelly
inb4 b-but muh dignity!
>>
>>343578310
Exactly. Some years ago, the idea of making it big doing this was laughable. What changed in the environment to make it such a big hit since then and now?
>>
>>343577938
>>343578086
The beard is amazing? You have low standards.
>>
>>343577490
Makes you wonder, what the next popular thing that will spike rapidly will be. Something know one expects
>>
Videogames got really popular.

It's not fucking rocket science you retard.
>>
>>343578740
Your heart rate.
>>
>>343578582
think about football or soccer

why play it when people get just as much enjoyment out of watching others play it?
>>
>>343578582
People were making it big back then, just not as noticeable as now, because you couldn't track subscribers and view counts. Look at people like PurePwnage.
>>
>>343578582
>the idea of making it big doing this was laughable

It's still laughable.

>>343578862
>when people get just as much enjoyment

No they do not.
>>
>profitable

almost every second 12yo has a xyz-tv or xyz-LP
the only ones making money with youtube are a tiny fraction of the whole community
>>
Pro gaming is not exactly new, back in the arcade days you had competitive gamers and there were SF torunaments. This is just the natural evolution of that.
>>
File: 1466720957914.jpg (56 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1466720957914.jpg
56 KB, 550x366
It's only profitable through sheer popularity. Youtubers get 1/32 of a shekel for every view, but some of them manage to get such an absurd amount of views that it starts to add up into a decent amount of money.

As for why so many people are watching these videos in the first place.

1. Kids started to get ipads and tablets instead of televisions and gaming handhelds. So instead of watching Nickelodeon all day, they're watching youtubers.

2. Minecraft. Minecraft and Youtube both feed into each other extremely well, and crucially it appeals to that young kid demographic that isn't watching cable TV or playing video games anymore.

3. The gaming market abandoned kids. The idea of a "kids" game simply doesn't exist in the same quantity as it used to. There are still some huge contenders here don't get me wrong, but the age of licensed shovelware leaking out of every orifice is gone. Consoles are no longer marketed to children, but instead to adults.

Coincidentally, phone games also took off for similar reasons.
>>
>>343579056
>S-stop pretending to like that! You don't actually like it! You're being silly!
Does it really hurt anybody if some schmuck watches LPs?
>>
>>343577490
>so, could anyone imagine that the mass media will invade places like youtube and bring his jews and shit?
Yes...
>>
>>343579213
So are you saying adults are making games for other adults and their kids finance the careers based around said games as well as their development in some cases?
>>
>>343577938
>having a beard at all

Spot the numales without a jawline
>>
>>343579373
>that retarded projection

Does it really hurt anybody if I call schmucks who watch LPs, aspies? Which they are really.
>>
>>343577490
Kids have no friends, so now they need to download them off the internet.
>>
>>343577490
10 years ago maybe not, but 5 years ago definitely when Justin.tv first created twitch, as they clearly saw there being a market for people playing games on stream
>>
File: d353dwa23f3s.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
d353dwa23f3s.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>343577490
Spoony is still nice
>>
People are becoming more and more isolated, the normies of today are the neck beards of 40 years ago ,
>>
Phones and tablets became more powerful. access to video production became much more egalitarian. Youtube provided a level playing field for any content type or format. It's a natural consequence.
>>
Youtube was getting more and more popular right around the time it was becoming much easier to capture and record gaming footage. Gaming content is SUPER easy to make and produce regularly on youtube. It is simple and also has very long retention times, meaning that viewers tend to watch the whole video which can be 10, 20 or even 30 mins long which is great for youtube's system. There isn't any other content like that as vlogs and costly productions were only a few mins usually. So gaming content got flooded on youtube to the point where it was dominating all of their user created content. Youtube had to change their algorithm because it heavily favorite popular videos that also had long retention times. Since it thought that the longer someone watched a video the more people would like it and it should be shared. So we saw gaming videos all over the place on youtube's top recommend lists and front page until they changed it. Seeing all the gaming channels blow up created a snowball effect where everyone wanted to created their own gaming channel.

Also this hit right at the time where kids were getting access to youtube through phones and tablets, and kids love to watch things over and over again and completely. So they gravitated towards these loud, silly and colorful channels where they could consume hours and hours of gaming content from each week.

What I find very funny is how in the world did networks like G4 miss this boom? I mean they were pushing gaming content for a long time and they even had segments on that Attack show to show off youtube channels to help promote them. If they had seen this coming a network like G4 could have jumped on the youtube bandwagon and stayed afloat for a while longer.
>>
>>343581040
Robot and autist kids maybe.
>>
>>343577490
10 years ago vidya was mostly just the weird kids/nerds, now everyone plays them.
>>
File: LPs.png (211 KB, 1184x862) Image search: [Google]
LPs.png
211 KB, 1184x862
>>
>>343585545
nigga i ain't reading all that shit
>>
>>343586025
millenial spoted, the text i just read was about people like you.
>>
File: 1446021217910.jpg (117 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
1446021217910.jpg
117 KB, 392x500
>>343585545
>>
>>343585545
What about LP's of game 'movies'? Like anything developed by David Cage, for example. With no commentary.
>>
>>343577938
>t. numale

hows your hairline doing anon?
>>
>>343588005
Longplays?
>>
>>343589409
Yeah. Like the Beyond: Two souls game was like a 13 hour long video with no commentary as it played.
>>
>>343589686
I enjoy longplays myself, particularly of games that are hard where a skilled played shows off how to do no-hit boss runs or just how to optimize play in a way that you actually learn and get better from watching. Like, I can beat DMC3 and DMC4 in some of the harder difficulties but I can't pull off insane combos like some vids and my reflexes are nowhere near their level. And like you say, there's no beta cuck making exaggerated noises; it's all raw gameplay to appreciate so we communicate through the game itself.

Unfortunately, these are rarely the top results for most games and Longplay channels get nowhere near as many views.
>>
the only people making mad bank off video game videos are google and amazon
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.