[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished replaying 3-San Andreas and I have to ask why some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 15
File: unnamed.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
109 KB, 1280x720
Just finished replaying 3-San Andreas and I have to ask why some people think 3 is the best one?
I personally like Vice City but I acknowledge that is a sheer subjective preference for the time period, atmosphere, soundtrack, and protagonist. I understand liking Vice City or San Andreas most.

But why do some people say 3? I'm not attacking anyone who does, but I'm genuinely curious. The driving mechanics are clunkier, the graphics just aren't as sharp, there is an odd blur on everything, the missions are not as interesting in my opinion, soundtrack is bad compared to VC or SA, and I'm not sure what people see in the atmosphere either.
>>
>>343548298
Literally nobody thinks GTA3 is the best one. Vice City is the one people pretend is the best, but it's San Andreas really.
>>
>>343548298
Literally nobody thinks it's the best, it was a big step in gaming but most people prefer either Vice City or San Andreas.

>>343548618
Are you me?
>>
>>343548618
>>343548683
I just talked about the game the other day on here and 4 people told me it's the best/their favorite one.
>>
>>343548759
I think you misread IV.
Which is slowly becoming my favorite.
>>
>>343548298
In retro-perspective it's a great game, however gta san andreas is still beter in almost everything.

Vice city is mostly great because of its 80s soundtrack.
>>
>>343548857
IV is actually my favorite behind Vice City so good taste.
>>
No particular reason why. I just prefer it to the others.
>>
File: gta3 2016-06-11 19-31-40-04.jpg (107 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gta3 2016-06-11 19-31-40-04.jpg
107 KB, 1920x1080
I played through san andreas recently and had a great time and after that i went and started on III. It feels really clunky and San Andreas and Vice City feels superior in all aspects that i can think of.
>>
>>343548298
I like 3, but Vice City and San Andreas are obviously both better games. They straight up improved upon 3.
>>
it's comfy, gritty and has 3 distinct islands

also the gang cars/gangs actually stood out from the peds, unlike the later games
>>
I prefer the silent protag and the setting.

What's the best way to play the PC version nowadays?
>>
>>343548953
>"In retro-perspective"
>>
If you actuallyplayed GTA III before Vice City was released (I know lots of people skipped III and started with VC) it definitely must have left a huge impression on you - in my case it was the first game I played on PS2 after I got the system and it felt incredible, like no other game before or after it. Vice City and San Andreas are superior in almost every way but they are just refinements of GTA III, which is why some people see it as the best one.
>>
>tfw most people missed out on the best game in the series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAPludLY0LI
>>
File: Kingdom Come.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom Come.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>343548298
as someone who actually considers III to be the best of the three
>you play as a simple thug
>you start the game as a simple thug and end the game as a slightly richer simple thug, no bullshit glorification of character
>gameplay close to first two games, but in 3D
>when shit hits the fan, the shit really hits the fan (cop chases, some missions, entering turfs of gangs that turned on you)
>most subtle humor (and in reasonable amounts) out of the three games
>soundtrack is best of the three games, because for the most part it actually sounds like a period-correct selection of radio stations and not like just a playlist of genres popular at the time

also the blur you can turn off in the options
>>
>>343552573

>The PSP games get ported to iOS
>no PC nor even consoles port

Why R* hates PC so much?
>>
>>343553368
the pc port was working very well but the team behind it stopped development
>>
IN THE NAVY
>>
I recently played through it for the first time on iOS and it felt super empty and shallow. Although to be fair I only played it just to play and beat the story (which was not good). I didn't really explore the map or fuck around much like I have in the rest of the series.

Vice City will always be my favorite because of the soundtrack, cars, characters, and the M60. I must have beat that game atleast 6 or 7 times. San Andreas is close second because it was so big and to this day has the most variety of any GTA game. So much stuff to do and see.
>>
My go-to GTA game is GTA3, mainly because at the time I was getting into GTA3 I was also playing The Getaway pretending to be a cockney Terminator (oop the ahpples an' peahs) and listening to Life Is Killing Me by Type O Negative, bought as a sort of farewell gift by my best friend, and it was the last summer before my group of friends all split up to go to different cities after high school.
I still like GTA3 for that reason alone, because honestly it's not a great game, it just took the series into 3D, but there's a strong nostalgia there.
>>
>>343552573
>that Emotion 98.3
>that V-Rock
>that Phil Collins concert
10/10
>>343553746
Wait what
>>
>The driving mechanics are clunkier,

Exact same mechanics as Vice

>the graphics just aren't as sharp, there is an odd blur on everything,

Turn off "Trails" in the options
>>
>>343553368

You're joking right? LCS and VCS got PS2 ports.
>>
>>343551772
I played III when it came out. Open world was amazing at the time but everything else felt mediocre to me and as a result I didn't finish it until years later. Vice City and San Andreas really did "click" for me though.
>>
Vice/IV > Gay Tony > SA > tlatd > V > 3
>>
>>343553368
LCS and VCS came out on PS2 moron. They were better than III.
>>
SA > VC (it all comes down to personal preference though) > VCS > V > LCS > IV > III

Never really liked top down GTA's, even when they were new.
>>
>>343553002
>soundtrack is best of the three games, because for the most part it actually sounds like a period-correct selection of radio stations and not like just a playlist of genres popular at the time
It's period correct because the game is set in present time. They didn't exactly have to look too far to find music that would fit.
>>
>>343553002
Wait nigga
How the fuck you get it to work so well? When I try it the reticle isn't even in the center of the screen and the bullets don't even go towards it
>>
File: the exchange - barricade.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
the exchange - barricade.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>343559123
don't use the 'widescreen' option, or install the widescreen patch if you want proper widescreen
>>
my first GTA game and I must say I was highly impressed with what I was barely running on my shit PC back then

ive recently played it over and it's quite shit actually, SA is pretty shit too

These games are always great when you can only barely run them
>>
>>343558776
actually the pop stations in III had original music, while the other games had nothing but licensed songs (and no general pop radio, just genre-themed stations)
>>
>>343548618
this

III is the one that basically created a genre as we know it and revolutionized gaming, but it's not as good as the others because it simply doesn't hold up.

on a technical and game level, san andreas is clearly the best out of these 3. now, VC is arguably the best in terms of theme, soundtrack, and how well it portrayed the setting it was trying to achieve (80s florida)

to this end, i do think its the best. not just for these 3 games, but any gta. that said, san andreas did a respectable job of being a game set in the early 90s of california.
>>
CUZ WE GON GIVE THIS ALL THAT WE GOOOOOOOT
>>
>>343560536
well said shithead
>>
File: Pepe_e9ea4f_5507477.jpg (29 KB, 489x499) Image search: [Google]
Pepe_e9ea4f_5507477.jpg
29 KB, 489x499
Nostalgia. It's objectively worse than VC and SA, but I still prefer to play 3 because I have a raging nostalgia hard on for it.

I love the early PS2 graphics, the arcade-like driving, the stupid shit pedestrians say, the ludicrous design of the city, the radio stations, the simple but crazily unforgiving missions... everything. Just seeing the pic in the OP has made me want to reinstall it.
>>
>>343548298
Why does it bother you?Genuinely curious why people start these threads
>>
File: hqdefault (47).jpg (270 KB, 1600x974) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (47).jpg
270 KB, 1600x974
Vice City > IV
>>
>>343561118
because this is a website where you come to defalcate out of your oral recepticle
>>
I'm about to get V. Last one I played was SA. Is V gud?
>>
>>343561494
no its shit
>>
File: comfy.png (40 KB, 362x362) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
40 KB, 362x362
>>343548298
San Andreas > IV > Vice City > III > V
>>
Nobody thinks 3 is the best one here. It's commonly agreed that San Andreas is the best in the series. Well, there are a few people that think IV is the best but fuck you with the "LET US GO BOWLING COUSIN!" Nigger I don't want to go bowling again.
>>
>>343556056
>>343556056
They actually refined the driving mechanics for VC and San Andreas. You can read more in depth on the GTA Wiki if you'd like, but basically they went in and tried to give the cars more weight and better handling by default, and even changed the tires/roads a bit to make it feel less slippery.
>>
>>343561494

It's alright
>>
>>343561807
>>343561625

Bloody hell, should I get Farcry 4 or MGS V instead? I'm on PC.
>>
>>343561494

It's great.

Don't listen to these millenial fags that shit on anything that's the most recent.
>>
>>343561118
I literally said "I'm not attacking anyone who does, but I'm genuinely curious."
I'm wondering why people prefer 3 and I am thankful for the answers I have gotten.
If we can't discuss things for the sake of discussion, what's the point of this board, having conscious thought, or language?
>>
>>343561914

I dunno about Farcry 4, also MGSV is disappointing to fans but everyone else seems to think it's OK.
>>
>>343548857
Far as SP is concerned, IV is by far my favorite. More so when you include that full story (Gay Tony & Lost).

V is my least favorite story, but the MP is my favorite despite getting rid of some of the best things about IV.
>>
>>343561494
story is garbage. not terrilbe, but just garabe. gameplay is fucking SOLID. and the online is fun as long as you don't play xbox or PC. I've just got back on the PS4 version when the latest update came out, not modders modding my game with windmills and shit. maybe people are modding their income, but the environment is totally fine. the game is fun, and adding the first person was just bees knees i guess. and ever add on is free. it's really hard to complain about the greatest franchise ever
>>
>>343562004

If you didn't know already, this is where constructive thought goes to die.
>>
>>343559123
Install SilentPatch and the Widescreen Fix.
>>
>>343548857
IV > VC > III > SA> V
>>
I've only played the first GTA and San Andreas and I must say I like the latter more, although 1 was quite fun back in the day.
>>
>>343561494
It's good as soon as you install mods to fix police AI. Vanilla is unbearable.
>>
>>343562372
Why is that?
>>
File: tn_1235245586270.jpg (8 KB, 220x180) Image search: [Google]
tn_1235245586270.jpg
8 KB, 220x180
>>343561494
nope
>>
>>343561914
no get the full MAME set off torrent and play every game untill your arm falls off and your brain explodes
>>
>>343561785
San Andreas is shit

>bowling
confirmed for meme-spouter that hasn't actually played the game
>>
>>343562024

Get either GTA V or MGS V. They're both great fucking sandbox games. I have no fucking idea why there's so much hate for either of them.
>>
File: dawg.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
dawg.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>343548298
>heavy, almost unpleasant atmosphere
>small but well designed city
>simple mission design
>most dynamic combat of all 3D/HD games, due to shortage of defensive mechanics, forcing player to act fast and effective
>MC who simply does not give a fuck
>>
>>343562551

Oh no, I did play it.

I mean, yeah you could ignore Roman but it was fucking insane how needy he was. It was like having a two-legged puppy that could use a phone. Goddamn am I glad that they got rid of that in V.
>>
>>343562636
>Hitler
>American Automobile
>hating niggers

seems legit
>>
>>343548298
Nobody thinks 3 is the best one
Its's always Vice City vs. San Andreas

Vice City is better
>>
I'd say because it's one of the more challenging games.
>>
>>343562737
>clocked probably 200h in single player IV
>Roman hardly ever called, usually was other characters
>literally never asked to go bowling by Roman

i just refuse to believe this Roman phone-nagging is anything but a meme that people mindlessly repeat
>>
>>343561494
if for online, then yeah, I guess V is fine too
if for single, you should've get EFLC instead
>>
>>343563168

It doesn't really get all that difficult until you start doing missions for the Yakuza but yeah, I get what you mean.
>>
>>343562425
No police patrols, but when you're wanted the psychic AI always knows exactly where you are, so trying to be smart about the way you hide won't work. Police will continuously spawn in front of you and appear out of nowhere even if you were to shoot a lonely hiker in the wilderness with a silenced pistol, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qUJc20yu28&t=23m15s
>>
>>343563337

Dude, you must have had a lucky run of it because he called me every single fucking day to go either drinking or bowling.

>in a shootout with the cops near the hospital
>phone rings
>LET US GO BOWLING COUSIN

It may be a meme but it resonated with me because hell was it true when I played it.
>>
>>343552573

Is it good? I never bothered with a PSP so I skipped the "stories" games. But I could fire up a PSP emulator on my phone.
>>
>>343564057

It's pretty good, sure.
>PSP emulator on my phone
You better have physical controls.
>>
File: buy a nickel.gif (30 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
buy a nickel.gif
30 KB, 250x250
>unlocking framerate in vice city
>>
>>343565282
>have nvidia card
>set frame limit to 60 fps via control panel
>silky smooth but without physics going nuts
>>
hey guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y8dHNDnWAU
>>
>>343562972
Hitler was a follower of Henry Ford before Twitter was even a glint in the postman's spunk
>>
>>343566530
i wasnt being ironic
>>
>>343566916
Well isn't that convenient
>>
>>343559670
THey fix the controls? Shit looks easier to run and gun.
>>
The grey, gritty and yet somehow really comfy atmosphere is compelling and unique. I haven't seen it replicated.
>>
played VC recently and as much as it pissed me off it was still fun

3 felt barren compared to VC and not having a map is annoying
>>
>>343552573
i dont have any way to play VCS now

i played LCS though and it was fun
>>
>>343568025
>not having a map is annoying

It is annoying, but it never bothered me much because Liberty City was an easy city to remember.
>>
>get used to the VC soundtrack
>try playing GTA 3
>that weak ass soundtrack
>>
>>343548618
I like what you have to say.
>>
>>343568354

It never bothered me when I first played it because you got the map in the box.
>>
III really nailed the disposable nature that the dotcom boom brought. Given when the game was released it was a fantastic take on "modern" society in a way few games had done before.

VC is more accomplished from a gameplay perspective (better graphics, better controls etc) but its 80's vibe relies heavily upon nostalgia to work. This isn't to say it doesn't, but it has the benefit of picking and choosing what to parody unlike the "here and now" angle III had going.

SA sits between the two - the 90's LA street gang vibe was still a recent memory to some but equally to those cultures not widely exposed to what it is trying to portray it is a walking stereotype of US black gang culture. Going beyond that though as a game it is clearly the best of the three with tighter controls, better graphics and far more to do within the game world.

GTAII is the one that will age the most badly but at the same time it nails the atmosphere that little bit more than the others in my opinion.
>>
>>343569354
>three with tighter controls
controls were shit in the pc version, much worse than III or VC
>far more to do within the game world
too bad the basic actions were much worse
if i wanted a slice of life game, i would play the sims instead

also SA tried to have too many things at once. while the world was bigger in size, it was much less utilized, or consistent
>>
Vice City is overrated, its soundtrack is the reason why people love it so much. Worst missions and worst map
>>
>>343570348

> it was much less utilized, or consistent

I disagree. Shoreside vale and the northern part of the 2nd island in VC (the name escapes me) are extremely devoid of anything of note whereas SA has a lot of interesting locations spread throughout the map.

SA easily has the best map design by far of all 3d GTA games (gta V falls into the trap of sweet fuck all happening around mt chiliad) and thats why people go back to it. Good map design in an open world game goes a loooooong way for replayability - even if it is just traversing the map and soaking ijn the atmosphere.

This is something most open world games struggle with and naturally few get right. Christ for all of its failings sleeping dogs does protray hong kong well enough to make the map engaging.
>>
>>343548298
I like 3 the most simply because it was the first GTA game I played and it left me a lasting impression
>>
File: landing.webm (3 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
landing.webm
3 MB, 400x300
>>343571061
>Shoreside vale and the northern part of the 2nd island in VC (the name escapes me) are extremely devoid of anything of note

>airport and planes
>colombian turf
>insane jumps
>warehouse courtyards for hiding from cops, some with accessible rooftops

>stadium
>off-road track
>whole series of insane jumps across rooftops
>safehouse with most garage space and a helicopter on the roof

not mentioning all the items you can pick up in those places
>>
>>343548298
>there is an odd blur on everything
you can turn the trails off in the options.

3 was revolutionary, it started the city sandbox craze and brought massive amounts of GTA clone games into the scene. It literally created a new era in gaming, it is why open worlds are common place now.
If you had played GTA1,2 and 3 when they got released, you are well informed on the good years and evolution of gaming.

personally VC is my favourite, it had production value as well of adding a crap load of stuff, like a decent story, VO, soundtrack and very funny radio skits.
SA despite little kids jumping on it's dick, it was rushed out the door at the end of the PS2 life cycle and is worse of the 3. It is full of bugs, crappy out of suit story/characters etc but it is a massive playground compared to the last 2 games.

ultimately 3 is revolutionary VC is the polished game and SA is the rushed out casual game.

GTA 2 is still one of the best in the series (it's freeware now)
>>
>>343572615

Lets be real here, shoreside vale exists solely for the airport and to drive around the tunnels to make missions take longer.

VC wise beyond the stadium its just a a city area with fuck all else going on.
>>
File: Shoreside_Vale.jpg (115 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Shoreside_Vale.jpg
115 KB, 1024x768
3 is the best

>the constant rain and fog
>that gloomy atmosphere
>mute protagonist
>goat radio with great original songs
>that early 2000s mood encapsulated forever in a video game
>>
>>343560304
that one radio station that played only scarface OST
the best station was the drum and bass station,
>>
Fuckers, now I feel like buying the bundle off of Steam.

>$8.71 for III, Vice City, San Andreas (already have), IV with Episodes from Liberty City

Is this worth it?
Do any of these run well or are they bad ports?
I remember trying to play San Andreas on Steam with a 360 controller and I had to look up all kinds of shit to make it work by installing programs and all kinds of mapping and options bullshit.
>>
>>343570468
VC's map is the best in the series because of how small it is.

It mean that there was absolutely no fluff.
>>
>>343572914
>Lets be real here, shoreside vale exists solely for the airport and to drive around the tunnels to make missions take longer.
that's only your personal shitty take on SSV. there's stuff to do, if you don't do it, it's not the place's fault
it's still miles better than the countryside with few but fucking huge trees, or the tiny cluttered "desert" (which makes it not a desert) in SA
>VC wise beyond the stadium its just a a city area with fuck all else going on.
might say the same for 3/4 of the urban areas in all three cities in SA
>>
>>343573685
You need to install some fan-made patches to get proper widescreen and return some cut music, but the ports are fine otherwise.
>>
File: Intro.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Intro.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>343573685
>Do any of these run well or are they bad ports?
III and VC run fine, though i think VC has the soundtrack cut a bit

any DirectInput controller should work
>>
>>343574283
I know how bad Mouse + Keyboard are for driving cars in game, but how are those controls?
>>
>>343553746
>>343555850
It was a mod.
http://gtaforums.com/topic/704426-grand-theft-auto-stories/
>>
Is Sa anygood on PC?
>>
>>343574650

Without mods? No
With ps2 restoration mod (at minimum)? Yes
>>
>>343548298

Vice city is my personal favorite; I've never met anyone who claimed 3 is the best or that they like it the best.

I suppose one could really enjoy the dreary deadness of it all. Rockstar created a drab but fun environment with 3. Claude fits right in. Also the 1 tier selection of gun was better in 3, except for the melee weapons.
>>
>>343575080
That fix those fucking awful controls?
>>
>>343575495
No, but GInput does (if you're using a controller).
>>
>>343575636
>>343575080
Thanks M8s
>>
>>343568140
emulate the ps2 version
>>
>>343575939

Its hard to get consistent performance on pcsx2.
>>
>>343576041
download the unfinished pc port, works really well but it ends till the first half of the game
>>
>>343576142

That is hardly a solution. Then again wasn't VCS a psp game? psp emulation is (iirc) many times better than ps2 emulation.
>>
>>343576424
whatever suits you
>>
>>343576424
This.
PPSSPP is tons better than PSX2 or whatever the fuck it's called.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.