[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The truth.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: 1454196281196.jpg (107 KB, 993x494) Image search: [Google]
1454196281196.jpg
107 KB, 993x494
The truth.
>>
I agree
>>
>>343516627
I sadly never played Thief 2, but the Quintus horn mission, lost city and the cathedral levels were definitly my favourites
>>
>>343516743
Get on that shit nigger, Thief 2 is still fantastic.
>>
>>343516806
I am aware of that, but I cant be bothered right now to try it.
Shit man, I havent even finished my new Deus Ex 1 run, I finished the game once as and I can barely remember anything except for that awesome underwater lab
>>
>>343516743
>>343516914
Also, when you get into fan missions, look up Sepulchre of the Sinistral and Inverted Manse.
>>
I haven't played the dark project yet, but would I be correct in my assumtion that Thief II balances thievery activities with un-thievery related plot missions far better than the first game?

and I really, really enjoyed that aspect in T2
>>
>>343517304
Not really. Thief 2's non-Thieving activities amount to stalking NPC's on set paths through The City, which was already done better in the first game.
TDP has cool dungeons and lost civilizations.
>>
I played Thief and no stealth game felt the same after. It's too good.
>>
>>343516627
I agree. People shit on the tomb raiding in the first one but I liked all that occult shit.
>>
>>343518028
yeah, that's plain bullshit

Thief 2 had you steal infiltrate and steal shit in many locations, like mansions, a bank, the docks, and more, with hints of an overarching paranormal plotline developing before it really dove into it after the pagans encounter

from a couple of criticisms I recall of the first game, is that it went into its storyline too quickly whilst not letting you enjoy Garret's usual activities
>>
Thi4f > Thief 1/2/3
>>
File: af.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
af.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
Am about to install them all and play through them. But first, what order do I play them in?
>>
>>343518554
All of the missions in the first game up until The Sword are Garratt's usual business. That's 4 missions, 5 if you could Thieves' Guild and 6 if you count The Sword (since the plot only really starts moving after that level is complete), so I don't understand that complaint.

In Thief 2 there's not much of a balance between "normal" thievery and everything else, there's much more of the former. Even after the pagans become a bigger part of the plot, you're still breaking into mansions or mechanist areas.
>>
>>343520285
You play 1, then 2, then you play fan missions.
Don't forget Tfix and tafferpatcher.
>>
>>343520513
why do I need Tfix and tafferpatcher?
>>
>>343520285
Remember, violence is mark of an amateur, dont kill anyone

Bring Water Arrows to Lost City
>>
>>343516627
>Atmosphere
Thief 1 > Thief 2

>Gameplay
Thief 1 < Thief 2
>>
>>343521180
So you can see the cutscenes and run the games on modern operating systems with no issues. Don't bother with any graphics mods though, at least not for a first play through (I think TFix gives the option for some during installation).
>>
>>343521180
Because they help run Thief on modern computers and something something, better textures maybe.
>>
>>343520285
walk slow on hard surfaces
>>
>>343516627
Really shame that we didnt get thief 2 gold, we would get a spooky necromancer castle
>>
>>343521180
Okay, so, the games are notoriously buggy on modern OSes

BUT, a mysterious new patch for all Dark Engine games (System Shock 2 and the two Thief games) emerged out of nowhere, fixing many issues, making the games run flawless, adding good widescreen support, making opening the ESC menu not switch your resolution to 640x480, etc

Many believe this patch was actually made by one of the developers who was not legally allowed to release it, so he just leaked it secretly

Anyway, Tfix and Tafferpatcher contain this update
>>
>>343521308
>>343521312
Neato

>>343521415
sounds easy enough
>>
I'm playing thru these for the first time and am honestly having a blast, about to start the Lost City level.

But I gotta be honest, the ruins/haunted cathedral level almost made me abandon the game.
>>
>>343521507
You ever played Thief? Or perhaps you played his grandchild, Dishonored?
Anyhow, you are in for so much fun. Playing on Expert adds additional objectives, you should start with it for more fun.

Shit, I think I gonna reinstall Thief now.
>>
>>343521485
The patch was posted on a French forum by a user called 'le corbeau' (French for the Crow).
Arkane is a primarily French dev who made Dishonored, which used Thief as an inspiration and was worked on by ex-Thief fan mission authors, and even a couple employees from Looking Glass (although they were writers). Dishonored's protagonist is Corvo, which means Crow in Italian.

So I think it was someone at Arkane.
>>
>>343521712
I've played splinter cell, mgs, etc, and love doing stealth. Heard thief was a lot better but never got around to it
>>
>>343521812
Kek, Arkane loves Thief so much it make bugfixes.

>>343521906
Thief makes you listen to your surroundings and pay more attention to movement then mgs, dunno how it's with splinter cell.
>>
>>343522218
Fun fact (yes I've posted this before):
The mission Lady Boyle's Last Party in Dishonored was designed by Anthony Huso. In it, Corvo infiltrates a party to assassinate a wealthy woman and has a chance to leave his name in the guestbook.
In 2000, Huso (known online as Purah) released a Thief fan mission called Calendra's Cistern. In it, Garrett infiltrates a party to steal from a wealthy woman and has a chance to leave his name in the guestbook.
>>
>>343522459
And now Garett is voice for Corvo
And they will probably make another easter egg/nod towards Thief.
It makes me sad that because of Law of 3rd, Dishonored 3 will be irredeemable shit.

But Dishonored 2 will be pinnacle of series.
>>
>>343521812
>>343522218
I dunno, I think it can't be just some guy at Arkane. It had to be somebody who had full access to the game's source code. The patch is just too perfect to be anything otherwise. It had to be an ex-LGS programmer. No question.
>>
>>343522884
There is only one way to solve this mystery.
Someone should break into Arkane HQ and investigate.
>>
>>343522884
Well there was that time somebody found a copy of the unfinished Dreamcast version of SS2, and I think that had the source code for the Dark Engine or whatever. Maybe somebody got their hands on that and did something with it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (89 KB, 641x837) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
89 KB, 641x837
>>343522884
>>343523823
RPS article from 2010.
>>
>>343523232
let me blink there real quick
>>
it's taken us a long time to admit, but yeah.
>>
File: RPS-2013.png (24 KB, 219x118) Image search: [Google]
RPS-2013.png
24 KB, 219x118
>>343523929
>article with actual insight on the subject written in human language and not in "i am so British i shit Queen" dialect
why did it have to die
>>
>>343521449
We'd get co-op that works.
>>
>>343524776
I wish they went through with the plans for competitive MP, 'theftmatch' sounded fun.
There was a mod for UT but it's dead. Hopefully someone remakes it for UT4.
>>
>>343521812
>>343522884
Corbeau isn't likely to be an Arkane dev, considering the differing ideologies behind Thief and Dishonored. Pin it on bethesda all you want, but Arkhane also enjoys making you a superpowered killer with cookie cutter stealth mechanics.

>>343524940
he keeps updating the damn game still, if only he took a gander at the multiplayer code that's stuck on oldDark
>>
>>343525259
It's more simple as a stealth game but I think the broad similarities between LG and Arkane views on game design, as well as the slight overlap in staff and the fact that Arkane employs Thief modders, is more convincing than any differences are unconvincing.
>>
>>343516627
I like both
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.