[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the citizen kane of gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12
Alright guys no bullshit here. I am not memeing here seriously.

Is there truly a citizen kane of gaming and if so what game is it?
>>
Skyrim
>>
>>343477473
Red Dead Redemption. Someone is still going to call it shit anyway. Opinions and such.
>>
ocarina of time!! IM SCREAMING
>>
>>343477473
the one you just posted retard
>>
>>343477473
no memeing? ok. then: tetris. or possibly go (yes, the board game), if it counts.
>>
Ed, Edd 'N Eddy: The Mis-Edventures
>>
>>343477719
I'm glad people keep bringing it up again but I gotta ask why? Was there a sale or something?
>>
Can someone explain this meme to me? Why is it supposedly such an honor to be referred to as the citizen kane of something? None of my friends ever heard of citizen kane.
>>
Prove to me that Tetris isn't the answer
You absolutely fucking can't and you never will.
>>
The Last of Us did absolutely nothing new. It just did a bunch of already existing things with an added bit of polish in some areas.

SOME areas, in many it was a giant leap back, like many aspects of its stealth system. It's only loved because of the incredibly cheap and manipulative heartstring pull story that normies gobble up like it's crack.

TLOU is the vidya equivalent of Oscar Bait.
>>
>>343477979
because you're all underage, it's understandable
>>
>>343478028
>>343478045
both of these posts contain correct opinions(R)
>>
File: ffvii.jpg (60 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ffvii.jpg
60 KB, 800x600
>>343477473
There are a few things I'm going to include that I think define any "Citizen Kane" of a certain medium:

>innovative story telling for its time
>innovative gameplay mechanics for its time
>superb art direction
>defined an entire genre to come

I think a lot of what makes a piece of art a "Citizen Kane" has to do with its place in time.

It's something that has to be done retrospectively. I'm not sure we can say that The Last of Us is the Citizen Kane of gaming when only a few years have passed.

How do we know how The Last of Us will stand in the pantheon of great games? Plenty of other third person shooters have come before. If we are discussing this genre in particular I would be more likely to say that Resident Evil 4 is a better example of a "Citizen Kane of gaming."

All that being said, I think pic related is a perfect example. Enough time has passed for us to truly appreciate what it brought to the gaming world. Groundbreaking mechanics, art direction and story telling. It's not that it's the best game of all time, but rather that it formed a foundation for RPG's and games in general for many years to come.
>>
>>343477963
No. There would be no reason to, since it was only available for last gen consoles. A shame really. It would defiently benefit from a remaster or PC release, but the games code is fucked apparently.
>>
>>343477979
Citizen Kane pioneered a lot of techniques seen in film-making today, so it's regarded as a milestone. The problem is, everyone and their mother just uses it as a way to say that something is good because you can compare to Citizen Kane... even if the thing you're talking about isn't comparable in the slightest.
>>
>>343477979
citizen kane was supposedly the turning point where films could begin to be taken seriously as an artistic medium

that is to say, people think video games are dumb shit for babbys, UNTILL THE LAST OF US BY SONY saved us all with a new standard for vidya
>>
>>343477473
>picture not related
>>
>>343478103
Not true but what is so significant about the movie? Why would a video game reviewer even call something the citizen kane of gaming?
>>
The original Doom.
>>
>>343478519
just kill yourself already fugg man.
>>
You'd have to analyze what Citizen Kane did as a film.

It focused on harsh shadows and low depth of field to disorient the viewer. So a comparable game would have to disorient the player similarly.

It also had a very serious tone, which was a stark contrast to fill back then. A game would have to mimic this tone.

It also showed that the film directors had a clear intent; everything was deliberate and a mastery of the film medium was apparent. Needless to say, a game would have to have this sort of pedigree.

Yes, this is somewhat why The Last Of Us was compared to it. While I find it a ridiculous statement to say, it's the only game out right now that fits the above.

>disorientation
This is hard to pinpoint outside of the constant tension, but the sound design and certain key moments were very disorienting. Deaths, suicides, all that. Being forced to go through a room of clickers, the injury scene, the end sequence. Lots of it.

>serious tone
A lot of games claim to have it, but fall flat. TLOU is really good at being serious. Games are yraditionally fun. TLOU is not fun in this sense. It's too draining. Very few games do this, and even fewer do it well. Hard not to appreciate this.

>mastery of the medium
I think it's safe to say that Naughty Dog is easily top 3 in terms of mastery of their craft. Sure, bigger companies churn out quantity, but ND proved to be way far ahead of any other console developer when TLOU launched.

I'm rambling. TLOU fits the bill. /v/ can hate it all they want. No other game was like it then, and no other game is like it now.
>>
Probably original Doom
>>
when the industry is made up of sonyggers, like this faggot >>343477296

it's no shock that anything sony shits out is praised to the heavens. it's pathetic
>>
>>343478975
You just shit over film history with those first few lines, never try to talk about this again.
>>
File: 2275989-box_eye.png (481 KB, 541x640) Image search: [Google]
2275989-box_eye.png
481 KB, 541x640
step aside moron face plebs
>>
File: JesusChrist.png (86 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
JesusChrist.png
86 KB, 500x500
>>343477473
What makes something a Citizen Kane of anything?

Reviewers just used it to make it sound like "a really good game no they're not paying us we swear"

But what truly makes something into a "Citizen Kane Moment?"
>>
>>343478395
>>343478446
The hilarious thing is that there is no way TLOU innovated shit.
>>
>>343478975
I love the last of us and I can say this is b8
>>
>>343479327
I mean it was definitely a good game

I found it to be more interesting than the Uncharted series,

but it's no doubt it's over-hyped by the gaming press
>>
>>343479327
convincingly mocapped characters in a competent story is what I believe it innovated. Critics loved the characters that you could care about.
>>
>>343479327
they innovated the art of putting celebrities in games without having to pay them for their likeness.
>>
That single quote completely destroyed any possible discussion about this game
>>
>>343479145
Huh, no. Gr8 argument m8.

>>343479601
You didn't have the experience I did obviously.
>played at night only, 4 sessions
>headset
>no interruptions or distractions
>no food breaks

In fact my first night playing was with a group of friends. We were all joking and ready to shoot some zombies or some shit, with beer, snacks, and sandwiches. The game immediately sucked all the air out of the room and everyone loved it. Made it up to the first major adult death. Uploaded my save to cloud and resumed at my place the next day.

Conversely I played Bioshock Infinite right after beating TLOU and I wanted to shoot my brains out. If you want to see a game done right vs a game done wrong, play TLOU and then Bioshcok Infinite.

It's not bait, it's my opinion based on my experience. Deal with it.
>>
>>343480748
>if you want to see a game done mediocre vs a game done absolutely terrible, play TLOU and then Bioshock infinite

Why not just play good games instead?
>>
>>343477473

Bioshock Infinite
>>
File: 1467101672334.jpg (28 KB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
1467101672334.jpg
28 KB, 426x240
>>343478395
OK..... then the CK of vidya is either MGS1, or MGS 3 Snake eater
>>
>>343477473
The Last of Us surely is a contender.
>>
>>343479327
I honestly don't remember a game with such a good harmony between gameplay, story and settings. It's truly a masterpiece.
>>
>>343477473
mario 64
OoT
super mario bros
tetris
bejeweled
everquest
wolfenstein
dragon quest
Anything that created a genre or is so wide known as that genre's game.
>>
>Citizen Kane: a movie that innovated many ways of camera working and film making, but was a commercial flop, and had many things going against it, it was forgotten by the public but loved by the film buffs.

Any game that fit this?
>>
>>343479256
E.Y.E. is better than Citizen Kane. Take that back you damn Jian before I break your legs.
>>
>>343478323
Underrated post
>>
If TLoU came out to middling reviews /v/ would collectively call it a masterpiece.
>>
>>343478045
>it's a game for NORMIES
>NORMAL PEOPLE MAKE ME SO FUCKING ANGRY
holy lol
>>
File: 306_front.jpg (62 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
306_front.jpg
62 KB, 640x640
>>343477473
>>
>>343481838
I think more people recognize Doom rather than Wolfenstein. Even though Wolfenstein was first.
>>
>>343483069
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
>>
Devil May Cry 1

>totally new series
>combined two previously though incompatible genres into one
>style system changed the entire way you approached action games. It wasn't just about winning, it was doing it and looking good
>became the forerunner for all modern hack and slashers.
>>
>>343477473
TLoU.
>times TLoU has been called "the citizen Kane of gaming"
>1
>times other games have been called "the citizen Kane of gaming"
>0
Boom. Done. You cannot argue with math.
>>
Game 'critics' who throw around the term Citizen Kane of gaming are just cucks who hate videogames and wish they had the knowhow to make it as film critics. Using film industry terms satisfies their all consuming lust for a different career.

They have no credibility and you shouldn't pay mind to anything they say.
>>
>>343484230
If anything fits this it's System Shock 1 the most. It did much worst than 2 on release and much of that games is copied even today. It innovated things like story telling through audio tapes that you see a lot of in video games. It System Shock as a whole also got far overshadowed by it's spiritual successor series Bioshock.

System Shock 2 came after and was much more popular although not very popular at release. I would say 1 deserves it more than 2 even if 2 is the better game. 2 is like a spiritual successor to the first as well.
>>
>>343477473
OoT, SM64 or SMB.
>>
The first Deus Ex, I suppose.

At its release it was one of the most mechanically polished games in history and it pioneered just enough things in its own right that it still stands as a timeless classic that has only rarely ever been surpassed.
>>
>>343484385
http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/10/08/citizen-prime-is-metroid-prime-our-citizen-kane
>>
File: heartofthekekstorm.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
heartofthekekstorm.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>343481130
>Bioshock Infinite
>Not OG Bioshock
>Not the game that's literally a commentary on the inherent surrendering of free will when it comes to carrying out a game's narrative, and how easily free will is taken for granted
I swear to god, normies are ruining gaming. It's all been down hill since 2007.
>>
File: latest-1.jpg (17 KB, 200x283) Image search: [Google]
latest-1.jpg
17 KB, 200x283
This
>>
File: 1465788578577.jpg (96 KB, 645x553) Image search: [Google]
1465788578577.jpg
96 KB, 645x553
Last Of Us is probably, in terms of narrative, one of the top 10 games (if not the greatest) of all time and I honestly cannot see it ever being trumped out of the top 10. While, like Bioshock Infinite, come across as a tad too streamlined and cinematic at times, the narrative of these games is what elevated them to as close to an art form as perhaps the medium will ever see.

But as for the "Citizen Kane" of gaming we have to look at what CK is known for, or rather, why it is considered the greatest.

It was so because of its immense innovation. I wouldn't say the film is one of the greatest from a narrative standpoint (probably The Godfather ) but it was one of the first films, outside of German Expressionism which it definitively pulled from, to understand the importance of a single frame and how you can tell your story not simply through your narrative, but convey it even deeper within each individual shot.

Because of this I would go with Ocarina of Time as the Citizen Kane of gaming. Perhaps it has been trounced to this day and even has some large flaws, yet it was, IMO, perhaps the purest example of what a video game should be.
>>
>>343477473
first Half Life probably, changed story telling in action games forever

last of us would be more like benjamin button, something designed from the ground up to play everything safely with high production to win awards
>>
File: game_vs_fine_art.jpg (330 KB, 682x1442) Image search: [Google]
game_vs_fine_art.jpg
330 KB, 682x1442
>>343489382
>>
Any PS1 or N64 era tittle that was good.
Super mario 64 comes to mind.
>>
>>343483069

Spec Ops: The Line
>>
File: Super-Mario-64.jpg (134 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
Super-Mario-64.jpg
134 KB, 1280x768
CITIZEN KANE WAS IMPORTANT BECAUSE ITS INFLUENCE IS SHOWN IN ALMOST ALL MOVIES TODAY.

You fuck tards are focusing on story when you should be focusing on mechanics and ideas. It would be super Mario 64 because of how influential it was to games being made in 3-D.
>>
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-P94hMIYAA0BE3.jpg
>>
>>343490117
This or Ocarina of Time.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.