[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Given a 1 year deadline to be complete >Ends up being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 9
>Given a 1 year deadline to be complete
>Ends up being the best in the series

I don't even think BotW will top Majora's Mask

>Great music
>Best art direction
>Best lore
>Overall atmosphere

Can we talk about how great Majora's Mask is?
>>
>>343446731
I was planning on emulating it

but then I realized I have a hacked O3DS.
>>
It might have had one year deadline, but most of its assets were taken directly from Ocarina of Time.

Still one of the best LoZ games though.
>>
>>343447024
The 3DS version is horrible though
>>
>>343446731
My favorite part of the game since the day it came out is the love story quest.
>>
>>343446731
All they really had to do is reuse assets.
>>
>>343447357
what makes it horrible
>>
>>343447357
Only for anal faggots like you
>>
>>343447357
in no way is that true though
>>
when i had a "going into games" machine - this woulve been early 2006- i used to go into majoras mask A LOTand one of my fav things to do was fondle romani at the ranch. one of the great things about fondling video games characters is they don't fight back or struggle because they don't recognise u as a player character..it's like you dont exist. but let me tell you, she smelled like SHIT. in fact everybody in that game did..I got used to it after a while but that first moment when i smelt romani up close..i was almost sick. she looks clean & nice when you see her on television but when ur there stood next to her its a different story. The machine was stolen in the end and im kinda glad. it had started to take over my life
>>
>>343447357
No it's not. Aside from the graphical improvements, the new quest tracking means mask collecting is a bit less obtuse.
>>
File: 1449406960677.jpg (218 KB, 520x638) Image search: [Google]
1449406960677.jpg
218 KB, 520x638
>>343447257
>tfw they'll do this with BoTW which will be the new OoT
>tfw it will be the greatest game ever
>>
>>343447534
I sold it to a dude in exchange for a blowjob.
>>
>>343447534
Ok
>>
>best art

art is good and mechanically impressive but skyward sword is better, music is largely recycled oot tunes and all but one or two of the original ones aren't as good, atmosphere is debatable, it's melancholic but the other Zeldas aside from Twilight Princess have an atmosphere, lore isn't particularly good just optional so a lot of it is missable
>>
>>343447534
lol

Still, of course she smelled like shit, farm girl in a pre-industrial world.
>>
>>343447357
I like the atmosphere a lot better. The extra Gorman quest is alright. I didn't like how they removed the sign in the hole near the astral observatory telling you how to get the piece of heart, I didn't like how they removed the time limits at the spider houses, and the rainbow staircase. Also the new Bomber's Notebook. I didn't mind the other changes including Zora Link. Also I didn't mind the Zora Link mini-dungeon on the moon, and the mandatory Bombchu usage in the Twinmold mini-dungeon on the moon that allows you to continue and get the piece of heart anyway.
>>
>>343446731
Overrated then, overrated now.

If you find doing tasks for NPCs fun then I guess it's the game for you.
>>
>>343447776
>largely recycled oot tunes

There are literally 3 tunes taken from OoT. The rest is original.
>>
>>343447974
House, Shooting Gallery, Shop, Fairy Fountain, Woods, Ranch, Horse Race, most jingles, carryover ocarina songs...

I agree that most is original, but there are wayyyy more than 3 recycled tunes.
>>
>>343448658
Fairy Fountain has had the same song the entire series so that shouldn't count.

Plus, the only carry over ocarina songs are the song of time and Epona's Song. The rest are relegated to a small minigame on the wall.
>>
>>343448890
They still count. Though Fairy Fountain I'll give you because I guess it became a staple at that point.
>>
Favorite game of all time for me.

There was just something about it...whether it was the atmosphere or the game play that just stuck with me.
>>
I love this game to little bitty pieces but I don't like the dungeons
>>
>>343447534
does someone have a cap of the original with the b***-load of replies
>>
>>343446731
Of course they only needed 1 year to complete, because all they had to do was to re-use the already complete assets and resources, and make some changes.

That's it.
>>
>>343450508
have you ever created a game
>>
>>343446731
>game is given 5 years indevelopment
>turns out shit

what's her name, /v/?
>>
>>343447653
>less obtuse

so they casualized it. great. you're one of those people who whines about switching boots in the original water temple aren't you?
>>
File: 1324372651166.gif (135 KB, 263x185) Image search: [Google]
1324372651166.gif
135 KB, 263x185
Majora's Mask is the only Zelda I had to force myself to finish. It's awful, bad bossfights, bad puzzles, bad dungeons, gives you the bow early which trivializes combat the entire game, tedious time/save system so you gotta go deposit your rupees, vast majority of masks are one time use get a heart piece items and another annoyances. Only thing I liked was transforming into deku, goron and zora but it was wasted on shit level design.
>>
>>343450723
Ocarina of Time
>>
>>343450723
Majora's mask 3D
>>
>>343450945
what others have you played?
>>
>>343451091
Most of them.
>>
>>343446731
BotW won't even top Skyward Sword.
>>
>>343446731
More like:
>Make new game for a series, do all the conventional stuff
>Make a sequel, now that the conventional stuff is out of the way, you can do non-conventional stuff
>>
I consider myself pretty good at video games
I 100%ed MM at least ten times as a kid

I recently tried out MM3D

I can not defeat Odolwa

I don't know what they did, but I can't do it

Apparently they made it easier but I cannot fucking do it, it's the most frustrating shit ever
>>
File: 1411794385255.png (90 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1411794385255.png
90 KB, 500x500
>>343450993
oh? what would you have done differently. please be descriptive. this should be interesting.
>>
>>343450945
>I missed the entire point of the game and only beat the dungeons.
>>
>>343451146
huh. had to force myself to finish lttp. everything felt so bland compared to later entries. I think the witch is just called "witch". painfully generic.
>>
>>343451245
>I missed the entire point of the game
>vast majority of masks are one time use get a heart piece items
No I didn't
>>
>>343451185
You have to use the deku flower and bomb him so that you can attack him.
>>
>>343450839
>Actually gives casuals a chance to collect the masks without looking up guides
>Casualizing
lmao.
>>
>>343451185
Sorry anon, you are now clinically retarded.
>>
>>343451426
>panders to casuals
>casualizing

how about that.
>>
>>343450945
>gives you the bow early which trivializes combat the entire game

Well it sounds like your problem is that you're a little, pansy ass shitter who shoots shit from a safe distance instead of being a man and getting in there with your blade.
>>
>>343451426
Not him but..

I never had a guide when I was younger, and I got every mask. You're unfortunately pretty casual. I bet you call Zelda 2 cryptic because you're too lazy to talk to the NPC's that tell you what to do as well.
>>
>>343451426
You had to luck up how to find masks in the original? Which ones? I can see having to luck up some of the 52 pieces of heart, but fucking masks? Also the game literally told you where every single one was on the moon.
>>
>>343450839
>games are better when you can't find anything by yourself and you need a guide to find items
I bet you used a guide to get the couple's mask. How can you complain about something that makes things less tedious?
>>
>>343452378
>you can't find anything by yourself and you need a guide to find items

You're trying really hard to project your own experiences onto other people here. Not everyone needed a guide to play MM. It's fine if you did.
>>
>>343451292
My issue was with the unnecessary length. 13 dungeons, what the fuck? At least the overworld was cool, but it should have had 8 dungeons max.
>>
>>343451692

Holy fuck, did I seriously typo look as luck twice in a single post?
>>
>>343453013
you need some sleep, anon.
nighty-night xoxo
>>
>>343446731
Yeah, plus it did take on a darker path compared to the last one's.
>>
I see people parroting "3DS Zeldas are bad" a lot but they never back it up, they either just say that's what they heard or they stop replying.
>>
Almost entirely reused assets, so a year is perfectly reasonable deadline.
>>
>>343446731
How good is this game really? Been on the side since its release on both N64 and 3DS but looking to take the dive and buy it. Is Majora's Mask really that good and what changes in the 3DS made it different?
>>
>>343453686
To my knowledge, saving is made much less annoying (the original had suspend save in the US, the Japs didn't even have that as you had to go back to the beginning to save), you learn the time controlling songs from the start if you remember them but the slow down one is less effective due to save any time. The graphics are changed obviously, as well as gyroscope bow aiming and such, and the bosses are newly designed to take advantage of new mechanics but unfortunately this renders Fierce Deity only effective on two and a half and useless on the other one and a half. Oh, and more warp statues. and a quest log.
>>
>>343454019
Sounds good. May buy it tomorrow then.
>>
>>343454130
A word of advice, the time songs are plays on the song of time: slow time is play the song backwards, and time skip is repeating each note twice, for example >> down down << R R. Not the actually song but yeah
>>
>>343454392
Thanks for the info anon. I am not sure if to play the game blind or not as I got lost in LttP as a child and just last month after buying it on VC I had to resort to using a walkthrough. I definitely know Caffey (?) and Malon quest lines I want for sure and maybe the kid with the mummy dad.

Looking forward regardless.
>>
random question, The GBA version of Alttp is pretty much the same as the original right?
>>
Okay I have spoke to every damn NPC at least twice now i don't know how to bloody find the couples mask. I don't know how to find kafei. He's never at the milk bar and i don't know what to do...
>>
>>343455079
kafei never goes to the milk bar, the milk bar is for giving his letter to his mother directly which nets you a bottle. However, with some time fuckery you can give it to the postman, get his hat, and then get the bottle after he delivers it, and THEN still have time to meet Kafei at the canyon to go to the thief's hideout.
>>
>>343453562
MM for 3DS has two major changes that hurt the game:

Faster time flow: Inverted song of time triples the length of the day on Nintendo 64. On 3DS it doubles it. Yes, you still have enough time to do dungeons and whatever, and MM isn't a DIFFICULT game, but it's a game about exploration, first and foremost. The time flow mechanic is unique and an integral part of the game, but reducing the time that you have in each cycle by a solid 33% dissuades exploration to some degree. My main issue with it is that I felt the N64 version's time flow was PERFECT. It didn't need to be faster or slower, they nailed it the first time, but then changed it for absolutely no reason. It also makes certain self-imposed "challenge runs" impossible, but I don't care much about that.

That, combined with the second change that I dislike...
Sheikah stone that tells you exactly where to go and what to do. Again, this game is supposed to be about EXPLORATION and finding out things on your own. MM 64 forces you to discover shit on your own, and is a better game for it. Yes, I know it's tempting for you to say "well then just don't use it!" but that's just a bad excuse for shitty game design. You wouldn't defend a build-in "invincibility button" in, say, Dark Souls, would you? Having the sheikah stone available to the player offers nothing but the opportunity to rob yourself of part of the experience, and we all know people will take that opportunity.
>>
File: Amadeus Surpised.jpg (148 KB, 804x800) Image search: [Google]
Amadeus Surpised.jpg
148 KB, 804x800
>>343455353
Soo there's a canyon you have to meet him at?
>>
>>343455375
I presume they nerfed the time song because of the ability to save whenever you want, which is kinda weird but it's ultimately not the worst, though you're right, it does make perfect runs impossible. That one is definitely a point of contention and I see it. However, you're also upset about optional hint mechanics, which let's face it, are still OPTIONAL no matter how you spin it. Not having to use it is not an excuse, and saying "but it's there, I have to use it" is just justifying someone's own lack of willpower. A sheikah stone is not nearly as grievous as an actual gamebreaking mechanic like what you describe either, especially in a somewhat obtuse game like MM even with some of the new quest tracking. Especially when it can only be accessed with an optional mask.
>>
>>343455563
Oh boy, you gotta pay attention for the Kafei quest mang. Let me guess: You stopped the thief on the first day from robbing the old lady on this current cycle?
>>
File: Screenshot (1137).png (264 KB, 937x597) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (1137).png
264 KB, 937x597
>>343446731
It failed in the dungeons and pacing departments though.

But aside from those two major flaws, it's definitely one of - if not the best - Zelda game, regardless of its reuse of assets.
>>
>>343455375
>listing these reasons
>forgetting to mention that they completely butchered zora swimming
>>
>>343451426
if i can get every mask without guides at fucking 7 then it doesnt need to be casualized.
>>
If it had more dungeons and Majora itself was a more difficult final boss, it would be the greatest Zelda of all time.
>>
>>343455915
wait so you have to redo everything on a new cycle?
>>
>>343456740
Majora is more difficult than OoT's Ganondorf at least.

Fierce Deity Mask makes him a joke though.
>>
>>343451670
And how long did it take you?

Oh, most of your childhood. Right.
>>
>>343456814
Well yes, but it's imperative you do this on a Kafei run: Don't stop the thief. get the Kafei mask (only has to be done once), talk to the innkeeper with it on (certain parts can be made easier by going in as a Goron because she'll give you a room that belongs to a Goron also named Link), get her meeting set up and everything.
>>
>>343446731
>Given a 1 year deadline to be complete
Well, it must be said that it wasn't done from scratch since they reutilized Ocarina's assets, but still it was a masterpiece and even with everything ready from ocarina, one year is still a shot time. Melee is another game that amazes me for the same reason, it was done in a short span of time like majora and ended up being awesome.
>>
>>343447357
It's the same thing.
Gaymeplay > Graphics
"THE GRAPHUPCS SUXX ITS HORRIBLE REEE "
kys
>>
>>343457982
MM3D had some terrible gameplay decisions though.
>>
>>343458085
like what?
>>
>>343458472
The revamped zora controls are shite and a pain to use
>>
>>343458690
This is true, I had 30 minutes of frustration on the zora moon dungeon, but outside of that you never need to use the ruined dolphin jump so ultimately that feels minor aside from the severe speed loss. A bad decision but it affects about 8% of the game at most.
>>
Majora's Mask is part of the so called "Zelda Cycle".

The notion that each new Zelda title is hated on release only to be rediscovered as a fan favourite years later.

There was a great deal of "meh" when MM was first released. People wanted Ocarina of Time II, which they didn't get until Twilight Princess - a game also hated on release, now loved and cherished.

By the time BotW is released, we will be sucking Skyward Sword's dick.
>>
>>343446731

This is the equivalent of saying some shitty indy band is the most talented act in all of music.
>>
>>343459273

WW is garbage. Skyward Sword is garbage. Zelda II is garbage. Minish Cap is garbage. Phantom Hourglass is garbage.

The rest are good, some are great.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeGXHlwx3bg
>>
>>343459890
>Zelda II is garbage
scrub
>>
>>343447357
People will miss the point of why the remake is inferior, as usual.
Remember, if you mess with the save system of MM at all, the point of the game is shattered. Even if it's 'more convenient', that isn't the point.
The save system made MM what it is, and by giving you a more forgiving save system makes the 3 day cycle too manageable, and even worse, not a 3 day cycle you need to manage at all.
>>
>>343459890
Zelda 2 is great, don't lump it in with that garbage.
>>
File: reddit-logo.png (27 KB, 800x267) Image search: [Google]
reddit-logo.png
27 KB, 800x267
>>343459890
>Phantom Hourglass is garbage.
>>
>>343459890
>Minish Cap

Your taste is garbage
>>
>>343459273
This is already happening. Skyward Sword has a shitton of apologists on /v/, and it's fucking baffling.
>>
>>343460684
skyward sword is fantastic if you remove the bad parts
>>
>>343459890
Finally, someone with common sense. Especially when it comes to WW.

On the other hand, I have to give AoL credit for being difficult at least.
>>
>>343460684
>S-s-stop having different opinions!!
>>
>>343460319
Nicely-done with the exception of the mask salesman. It doesn't really look like him at all.

But I expect Nintendo to take this down sooner or later, unfortunately.
>>
>>343460767
Yeah but then who would pay $50-70 smackers for 10% of a game?
>>
>>343446731

>best in the series

that's not Ocarina of Time mate
>>
>>343446731
>I don't even think BotW will top Majora's Mask

Why? MM couldn't even top LttP or OoT and then got topped by WW and TP subsequently.
>>
>>343460973
>Le find all the keys dungeon design
>>
>>343454598
Definitely know the three versions of Song of Time like the other anon mentioned.
>Regular: Warps back to the beginning of the three day cycle
>Inverse: Play Song of Time in reverse to slow down time to about 1/2 speed (usually meant for completing a dungeon or finishing more side quest events happening close together)
>Double Speed: Play each note of Song of Time twice to skip ahead to any hour of the current day.

The first time I played I never thought I could finish a dungeon in time until I realized Inverse Song of Time existed so I always pass it on to new players since Majora quickly became one of my favorites after learning that one feature.
>>
MM is a unique entry in the series and BotW doesn't even look like it's trying to be similar. Odds are you prefer MM if you value a sense of worldbuilding and characterization in your games because it straight up does that better than any other Zelda by miles. BotW looks to be rather minimalist at first glance with such elements, clearly opting instead to favor exploration like Zelda 1 did. To that end, if MM is your favorite then unless Nintendo is holding out on us big time with its towns, BotW probably isn't gonna dethrone it. On the other hand, if it does somehow outshine MM at its own game AND pull off the exploration, then we're probably looking at the greatest Zelda ever made unless it shits the bed on the dungeons.
>>
File: skywardsword.png (93 KB, 1216x1087) Image search: [Google]
skywardsword.png
93 KB, 1216x1087
>>343459273
I will never ever suck Skyward Sword's dick
>>
https://youtu.be/aEFke7X0ajs
>>
>>343461891
I dunno I've been obsessively watching footage of BOTW since it came out and its looking really good game play wise, the environments are maximum comfy.
>>
>>343462227

Agreed, but it's not looking to excel in what MM excels at, and as such probably isn't gonna convince MMfags to suddenly not be MMfags. That game really is one of the oddest ducks in a series with no shortage of odd ducks, and it has had its niche on lock since it came out.
>>
>>343461891
Why are they so adamant about hiding the villages, though? Either they fucked up or something awesome is in the works.
>>
>>343459273
The Zelda cycle doesn't exist.

It's just a case of the games getting shittier and shittier with each installment, so everyone kisses the ass of the previous one in return since it's at least better than the tripe they recently got.

That and new Zelda fans replacing the old ones, so their standards are always going to be lower since the franchise has become a joke now.
>>
>>343463156

Aonuma said it would spoil story shit if they did or some other.
>>
>>343447357
It's not horrible but what they did to the zora is unforgivable
>>
>>343463198

>It's just a case of the games getting shittier and shittier with each installment

Eh, I don't think that trend is linear. I don't hate WW but I do think TP and SS were better games, while ALBW was quite a rebound in direction from SS itself.
>>
>>343463806
>SS
>better

ALBW was a half-rehash of ALTTP made for younger fans.

TP is the only real exception, and even then it never lived up to the ungodly amount of hype placed upon it.
>>
>>343464401

I would say SS is better than WW, yes. They're the weakest 3D Zeldas but at least SS was a rollercoaster of quality - some great ideas, some shit ones. When I think back to WW I can't recall anything it particularly excelled at other than sailing and visual design, it's just kind of a "barely there" Zelda otherwise. As for ALBW, you're not wrong but it's still more consistently good than SS was.
>>
>>343459273
no one likes TP
>>
>>343464401
>ALBW was a half-rehash of ALTTP made for younger fans.
That's a good thing. Any game attempting to transition the Skyward Sword generation into enjoying something even remotely similar to classic Zelda will always be a noble feat.
>>
>>343465263

I like TP. I like it an awful lot, in fact.
>>
>>343446731
Recycled Assets: The Game

You must be joking.
>>
>>343449952
>b***-load
Did I suddenly enter reddit?
>>
>>343465939

>responding to 3 hour old posts
>>
>>343447656
They already said that they plan to reuse the Zelda BotW engine to produce smaller scale games with it like they've done with Tri Force Heroes from ALBW's assets.

I believe they also said it would be used for other IPs too and not just Zelda.
>>
>>343447357
Only thing that's generally bad about the 3DS version is the new Zora swimming feature, and the new casual save system. Other then those two things it's pretty good anon.
>>
>>343454873
More or less. There's a bonus dungeon tied to Four Swords Adventures and Link goes "Hya!" every time he swings his sword.
>>
File: screens.gif (39 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
screens.gif
39 KB, 450x300
>>343454873
SNES is better for this alone.
>>
>>343455353
>that little to no time to get in the hideout
Shit is awesome.
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.