[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sciencefags get in here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
What's in Mei's endothermic blaster?
How can she store a liquid and spray a gas or shoot a solid at will?
>>
File: 57210510_p0.png (546 KB, 912x864) Image search: [Google]
57210510_p0.png
546 KB, 912x864
>>343337513
>What's in Mei's endothermic blaster?
The same stuff that makes up the rest of Mei, CUTE!
>>
>>343337513
Could be liquid nitrogen or some shit, something that's got a really low boiling point

No idea how it freezes on the way out, maybe massively reduce the pressure before its launched?
>>
>>343337513
how the hell does Torbjorn do all that molten lava shit? same thing
>>
Hey retard,

it's a video game.

VIDEO GAME.

Got that?

Good.
>>
While playing Mei, I can't stop thinking that her gun was made in the West and she just stole the design.
>>
>>343337513
I like the previous design of the gun way more.
The one she uses now is so ugly. She reloads it by turning a little knob? Disgusting.
>>
>>343337513
Easy mang Its a video game also the future where sentient robots and genetically engineered monkeys in control of a moonbase exist
>>
>>343338392
He probably has a zero-point gravity field in his robo hand, puts some scrap into the gravity field, then rotates the metal fast enough to melt it through sheer velocity.
>>
>>343337513
>no mr freeze skin for mei

why
>>
>>343337513
Dry ice
It has no liquid state, so heat it a bit and you get gas.
>>
File: 1464489464563.jpg (78 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1464489464563.jpg
78 KB, 600x800
>>343337513
>you gone eyes
what did she mean by this
>>
I work in HVAC and I laugh at your stupidity.
>>
>>343338452
You have autism
>>
>>343338803
(you)
>>
>>343338550

HE DRINKS IT
>>
>>343338706

she meant "please stop sexualizing me, you have no idea how hard it is spending so much time on your cosplay to end up being treated like a piece of meat"
>>
>>343338802
hhehehehh
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcUDf2rUfoc
>>
>The one good player in the match is playing Mei

can we just lock her after you reach rank 5?
>>
>>343339772
>pick Zarya
>be credit to team
>best support ult in the game, can get enviromental kills pretty easy depending on the map
>completely shit on Mei's auto freeze & her ult

just play the butch lesbian anon, Mei wont give you or your team any issues ever again
>>
>>343338607
>Freezing people in dry ice

what a cunt
>>
i hate her dumb accent. why can't chinese people enunciate the last syllable of any word?
>>
File: mopesaga.jpg (6 KB, 193x261) Image search: [Google]
mopesaga.jpg
6 KB, 193x261
A reminder that water=/=ice.

Water is a liquid.
>>
>>343337513
Having LN2 as ammunition would allow Mei to siphon it from her backpack tank into her weapon easily.
Mei's weapon does not make any loud bang or pop sounds like combustion driven weapons, nor is her ammunition metallic or magnetic in any way that we know of, ruling out railguns and leaving compression as the only other option for launching a projectile (besides magic or space time warping or slingshots).
Because of the ammunition type, we can safely assume her weapon utilizes internalized atmospheric pressure to spray her fire extinguisher gas and to form and launch her icicles.
Her left click ability is easily explained, as pressurizing a liquid and releasing it from a nozzle is an easy way to spray liquid ammunition in a cone.
Flamethrowers work this way just like extinguishers.
Her right click is where it gets interesting, because she's turning a liquid into a solid (metal gear joke goes here).
Running with the safe assumption that her weapon can alter internal PSI at will, it's realistically possible that Mei's winter-themed nailgun can create the ammunition within the chamber rather rapidly.
LN2 solidifies at 63k in a vacuum.
It's easy enough to proclaim that a sci-fi weapon has really good refrigeration and can maintain a low-low temperature of 63 whopping kelvins, but it's even easier to imagine an atmospheric chamber than can go from compressing air into a volumetrically sturdy shape to reducing pressure below atmospheric amounts (namely a vacuum).
It'd be as simple as sucking the air out of the gun instead of squeezing it in, and presto, you've solidified your nitrogen.
It's no coincidence that the endothermic blaster features the same streamlined cylindrical and spherical structuring as a train tanker designed to withstand extreme pressures.
Mythbusters did a feature on imploding a retired tanker using an internal vacuum, but they were unable to do so without compromising the structural integrity of the tanker.
https://youtu.be/T9bpUfWy8Wg
>>
>>343338150
Cute stored at 5 Kelvin
>>
>>343338494
>She reloads it by turning a little knob? Disgusting.
The knob is clearly a pressure release valve for transferring the fluid from her backpack reservoir, it's not so much reloading as refilling.

>>343342141
Point is, the very shape of Mei's weapon lends to my theory.
So now that we've created solid N2... SN2? The next step is to eject it at high speeds.
Simply ramp the vacuum back up to a high psi and use the compression to launch your projectile.
This method requires the icicle to fit neatly inside the endothermic blaster's chamber with a seal in order for the pressure to provide thrust.
It's difficult to catch a glimpse of the actual icicle projectile, but it's clear they are rather narrow, so this pressurized seal business is a bit sketchy.
As far as Mei's left and right clicking goes, almost everything checks out for LN2 being a plausible ammunition.
Her ultimate could also be explained by simply spraying LN2 in an aoe.
However, her ice wall and cryo-freeze pose some issues.
How can she solidify LN2 outside of her equipment where air pressure is a steady 1 atmosphere?
Assuming she is using one ammunition type for all of her abilities, It can't be LN2.
Additionally, LN2 is colorless, whereas Mei's ammunition is clearly an icy blue color.
>>
>>343342458
>solid N2... SN2?
N2(s)
Either way shut up.
>>
Ice is just solid water.
>>
>>343342702
I'm no chem major, pulling most of this out of my ass, sorry.

>>343342458
Consider LOx, a liquid form of the pure element Oxygen.
Oxygen actually has several potential phases other than gas; not only can it be liquefied, but it has six varying solid phases.
The phase we're interested in is phase alpha, a monoclinic crystal forming at 23.8k at 1 atm.
Assuming Mei's cooling system can handle temps that low (it could be feasible in the future when Overwatch is set), all solidified external structures of Mei's various abilities become plausible.
BUT... If phase alpha solid oxygen can procure at 1atm, what need do we have for pressure?
We don't even need pressure anymore to form the icicles, just temperature.
But we'd still need pressure to launch the icicle right?
Because the EndoBlaster doesn't use combustion, and that would shatter the icicle anyway!
However, remember when I ruled out the railgun option because of the lack of magnetic slug?
Liquid oxygen is paramagnetic.
This means it would be possible to suspend a hovering strand of LOx down the center of the EndoBlaster's chamber using magnetism, where it could freeze to crystalline solidification in place without being in contact with the inside of the chamber and getting stuck.
Guess what else?
Solid oxygen is superconductive at low temperatures.
Oxygen molecules have a "magnetic moment", which is, according to Wikipedia, "a quantity that determines the torque it will experience in an external magnetic field."
This means the EndoBlaster can plausibly function as a railgun that fires SOx shards when not spraying LOx.
>>
Liquid Hydrogen
>>
>>343337513
>mei is cute
She's a fat fuck
>>
>>343337513
meme magic
>>
>>343338150
I think you mean distilled pure cold evil.
>>
>>343342975
This means LOx is a viable ammunition for both of Mei's weapon modes.
Now what about the ice wall and cryo-freeze? You might ask.
Ever seen supercooled H2O instantly solidify?
https://youtu.be/CL7ALwb0RsQ
https://youtu.be/sQdLttUh_b0
The idea is simple, a pure liquid substance is at or below its freezing point and should solidify, but since it's solid form is a crystal, and all crystals need a starting anchor to begin growing on, which a pure liquid is devoid of, the liquid is deprived its phase shift and remains liquid until it finds something to begin crystallizing from.
Assuming Mei's fuel tank remains extremely cold and free from contaminants or air bubbles, she can have LOx ready to transform into SOx in the blink of an eye by simply introducing it into a contaminated environment full of opportunities for a crystal to grow.
Release it over her own body?
Self encapsulation is a go.
Spray it in a straight line on the ground over and over for 100+ coats?
You've got yourself a wall... assuming it doesn't melt first.
The argument doesn't include the cartoony speeds at which the solid structures appear in-game, it's more for answering the question of "what's in her gun", which I think is LOx personally.
One final point to drive the nail home: LOx and SOx phase alpha are both light blue and match the in-game color, unlike >>343343034 LH2.
>>
>>343337513
Nothing about the gun makes sense, so looking for answers as to how it works is a waste of time.

It's a gun that can manifest 1+ tons of ice in a fraction of a second, put Mei into Cryogen Stasis on command, sprays a freezing mist, and can somehow project chunks of ice at up to 100 meters despite there being no barrel or explosive force generated within the gun itself.
>>
>>343343524
>Nothing about the gun makes sense, so looking for answers as to how it works is a waste of time.
I bet you're fun at parties.

>and can somehow project chunks of ice at up to 100 meters despite there being no barrel or explosive force generated within the gun itself.
see >>343342975
>>
>>343341765
ice is water
water is melted ice
>>
File: 1466260229847.jpg (187 KB, 850x974) Image search: [Google]
1466260229847.jpg
187 KB, 850x974
>>343337513
Pure Cancer
>>
ice is just meme water
>>
REMINDER

MEIS GUN IS TALON TECH AND SHE HAS BEEN HINTED TO BE A MEMBER OF TALON IN HIDING
>>
>>343345616
source?
>>
>>343345616
who?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.