[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Immerison
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1452489252672.jpg (524 KB, 1400x930) Image search: [Google]
1452489252672.jpg
524 KB, 1400x930
What exactly is immersion?

What creates immerison and what's counterproductive?

Which games are examples for this?
>>
Buy amnesia TDD
Use good headphones
Follow the story and take your time

3 easy steps to top tier immersion
>>
Excellent atmosphere creates immersion. A great example is Metro 2033.
>>
one thing most people forget that needs to be there for immersion is extremely tight controls. you need to feel like you're connected physically, so having responsive and sensitive controls really is important.

it's why amnesia games are more immersive than say, early silent hill games.
>>
Having a sequel usually gives the older game amazing immersion in comparison.
>>
Attention to detail and the way the world reacts to what I do.
>>
File: 1465705312696.jpg (151 KB, 642x767) Image search: [Google]
1465705312696.jpg
151 KB, 642x767
Pathologic.
Can't wait for the remake.
>>
>>343310696
Player agency. If you want me to be immersed in your game actually let me move around and interact with things in meaningful ways. Don't put everything on rails or give me a fucking QTE, it's not immersive and I've never thought a QTE added anything to any game I've played.
>>
>>343312992
This

First person can be greatly utilized to get people immersed in the experience.

Tight controls, low latency, responsive combat or stimuli is what gets people so dug into the atmosphere of the game.

It's what makes people jerk suddenly, or guffaw, or jump, or look a direction other than the screen when they meant to do it with the mouse or joystick. It's when your character starts running and you emulate that action by getting closer to the screen. It's when your character is flying a plane and you move your center of mass to follow the yaw of your aircraft.

Those are just physical examples of you being so absorbed by the game that you momentarily "forget?" you're playing the game to some extent. It makes things much more terrifying, or enjoyable and it's great.
>>
>>343312801
A game where your character is forced to feel fear? The insanity mechanic ruined any immersion that hide n seek game managed to muster.
>>
File: Metro_tablet.jpg (243 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Metro_tablet.jpg
243 KB, 1680x1050
>>343312806
Metro's great for immersion. What helps as well is having fuck all hud. Everything is managed through in game stuff, even objectives.
>>
>>343314513
Well the game is open as any call of duty campaign so no need to guide you anywhere really
>>
>>343314395
This.
Also, the camera tilting is pretty annoying.
>>
>>343312806
Metro is the last game to make me feel like a part of its world. I need to play it again
>>
File: f42.jpg (118 KB, 570x760) Image search: [Google]
f42.jpg
118 KB, 570x760
>>343314753
There's still a lot of optional areas. I remember one of the missions in Last Light where you get thrown off the track and you can literally finish it in five minutes if you just run forwards, but there are a bunch of doors and side tunnels to explore, like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99PdQDDtuTU
>>
>>343310696
Being able to what the player wants. If he is constantly reminded that he is acting through an avatar and péaying a game, immersion is lost. If not however, a player could be so lost in a game that isn't limiting him, that he can lose track of time. Hence he is immersed.
>>
>>343314395
>Forced to feel fear

>Hide and seek horror game

>Immersion
Holy shit you're dumb as hell.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.