[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck do devs keep using this piece of shit over UE4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10
File: unity3d1.jpg (70 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
unity3d1.jpg
70 KB, 1600x1200
Why the fuck do devs keep using this piece of shit over UE4
>>
>>343303148
personal choice
>>
File: Unity terrain wip.jpg (482 KB, 1920x948) Image search: [Google]
Unity terrain wip.jpg
482 KB, 1920x948
>>343303148
Unity's been far superior to any UE for years now.
Unity has far more active community, more user friendly modular design, and anything you might need, you can usually get for free or cheap from the community.

UE suffers of the nowadays very common "Solved Problem -problem": it's painfully clear that the engine's made for FPS games, and you really need to start bending it around yourself to do anything else with it.
>>
>>343303148
Unity is easy and has lots of documentation / turorials

So we have a generation of people who never learnt to code thinking theyre programmers because they copy pasted some scripts and bought some shit on the asset store
>>
The sheer amount of help online means any retard can game a game
>>
>>343303889
>Unity has far more active community, more user friendly modular design, and anything you might need, you can usually get for free or cheap from the community.

So it's the engine for lazy people?
>>
>>343303889
Look at them trees in the top left

Literally just copy and pasted and not even rotated to give a different silhouette

I bet they paid for that tree and just dont know how to rotate it

Fucking unity babies

Ruined the entire industry in 5 years
>>
File: unity Screenshot_042.jpg (579 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
unity Screenshot_042.jpg
579 KB, 1920x1080
>>343304283
>So it's the engine for lazy people?
It's a game creation package created for "lazy" people. Very few people bother coding their own engines from scratch these days anyway, it's all about choosing the best pre-made tech for your job.

>>343304448
For starters, that's not mine anything. It's an old screencap from the old Unity 3 tech demo, AKA something like 4 years old.
Second, the engine has in the end quite little to do how the game will look and play in the end. The artists and developers in general have the responsibility at that.

Unfortunately Unity's been mostly used by lazy indies in quick cash-crab attempt mobile shit so far, so obviously the overall quality's a bit low. However, there's been a handful of great games made with Unity, such as Cities Skylines, and Ori.

What comes to Unreal, I'd say v3 caused way more harm than Unity ever did. It gave us an era of bloom + blur visuals with no AA + slooowly streamed textures.
>>
File: 1441454470099.jpg (23 KB, 236x240) Image search: [Google]
1441454470099.jpg
23 KB, 236x240
>>343303889
>Unity's been far superior to any UE for years now.
>>
File: gcaP7f2.jpg (323 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
gcaP7f2.jpg
323 KB, 2048x1536
Unity provides an environment for both scrubby children who want to string together the next Goat Simulator piece of shit, whilst also appealing to C# devs, of which there are millions (I can't speak for every country, but here in britbong 90% of software jobs are C# or Java).

Essentially, they've managed to cast a net that catches all of the Game Maker kiddies and a big chunk of the day-job programmers who want a side project at the same time. Of course, the Game Maker kiddies have ruined it somewhat for the professionals by making so much shit with the engine, which is why your average commercial Unity dev will get rid of the splash screen and probably won't even mention the fact that it's made in Unity unless asked directly (Yooka Laylee is one of the few exceptions).
>>
>>343303148
It's far easier than UE.
>>
File: glory.gif (2 MB, 259x197) Image search: [Google]
glory.gif
2 MB, 259x197
>>343303148
>Why the fuck do devs keep using this piece of shit over UE4

Name one thing UE4 can do that Unity cant.
In fact, name one thing EU4 does better than Unity.

They are the same thing. At this point its brand loyalty which you choose.
>>
>>343305116
you got that right, sonny.
Unity got nice at v3, great at 4, and 5 is just superb.
>>
>>343305434
>Name one thing UE4 can do that Unity cant.

Run well
>>
UE4 would have been much better than unity. It's much more professional. However
- the editor completely crashes if you encounter any kind of programming error at runtime
- all the tutorials are for fucking blueprints
- you want to delete a component from the project library? Good luck kiddo
>>
Unity's better documented, supports more languages + Blue Prints these days, has bigger and more active community, that has created tons of plugins and assets to use for free, plus it's multiplatform out of the box
>>
>>343305962
Given equally skilled developers, games made on the both engines will run comparably well.
>>
>>343305434
be open source
>>
File: programming.png (151 KB, 766x664) Image search: [Google]
programming.png
151 KB, 766x664
DESU Now that C# is open source and cross platform and faster, looking mostly forward to removing Mono from the face of the Earth. Should be a nice boost to unity.

To answer the question :: Unity is a lot easier for smaller teams to work with, having a more active and larger community and being scripted with a more powerful language.
Unreal I think still tops it out a little for performance, but most small teams don't try to make the next triple-A high def action flick.
>>
>>343306820
>twitter = negative
>DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW!
>>
>>343308138
The assignment in conditionals.
The stacked else if.
The import of the STD.
Using c out.
The obvious abuse of enums
The entire expression built around an output of a static phrase

Something is obviously fucked with the fundamentals of how she wishes to express an idea, nevermind program it.
.t that-one-asshole-dev-who-forces-you-to-unttest-your-code-every-push
>>
>>343303148
As a dedicated UE4 dev who will never even consider using Unity, shut the fuck up. Who gives a shit what tool people choose to get the job done.

Maybe they're off-put by how performance-hungry UE4 is (especially in NPR rendering scenarios)

Or having to code in sepples instead of sharp

Or the utter lack of documentation

Or maybe they got into Unity back when UDK was the only option available to independent developers and they don't want to relearn everything.

You wanna platform-bait you could at least have the decency to go full /agdg/ and shitpost about how any studio/dev that doesn't code its own engine from scratch is shit
>>
>>343306820
She forgot to write "==" instead of "=".
>>
>>343308819
Thank you for being one of the first sane people I've seen in a while here on this matter.

It's probably my own fault for browsing /g/.
But right tool for the job, right?
>>
File: 1447168015940.png (178 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
1447168015940.png
178 KB, 666x666
>>343303148
As more and more people get into game development, more and more incapable people get into game development.
>>
File: thatisthejoke.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
thatisthejoke.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>343308831
>>
>>343306820
I don't know C++, but do assignment operators return booleans? Thats weird.
>>
>>343306820
if(Tweeter==Gamergater || Tweet==Negative) Block(Tweeter);

I think thats he meant.
>>
>>343309739
They don't. Assignment operators return the value assigned. Considering the formatting choice for the names, it would seem too that they're comparing variables that aren't bools too. Likely strings in suit of enums. This would likely return a char pointer that would evaluate to true every time because C++ is a shit language like that.
>>
>>343310073
So that tweet was garbage, right?

I wasn't sure if I was reading it right, or if C++ had some sort of weird error handling where assignment operators returned booleans based on a successful assignment or something.

>>343310070
Is "||" an OR statement or something?

I took an Intro to Java class senior of highschool like 6 years ago.
>>
>>343310070
>he
That thing is an insult to men and women.
It's an it
>>
>>343310263
Garbage. Even worse though, garbage that still technically compiles and runs and leads to frustration.
You're already doing better than them.

'|' is a frequently used mathematical symbol for "or". '&' is "and".
"||" is "or" as in, if the first part of the expression is true then we don't even need to evaluate the second.
It's a small but cool distinction, while '|' will evaluate both parts.

Their biggest problem is they just wrote code while they were still thinking of their idea. Get your idea, and break it down. Then they would have realized "It's not 'block if x and block if y', it's 'if x or y, block'.
>>
>>343310263
>||
for OR
>&&
for AND
>>
because UE4 can't run on my shit laptop
>>
File: 1229464867527.jpg (80 KB, 629x700) Image search: [Google]
1229464867527.jpg
80 KB, 629x700
>>343303148
I don't mind Unity in itself, I just hate how fucking unoptimized it seems to be.

I have yet to see a single Unity game with performance appropriate to its visuals. Either the game runs normally and looks like shit (Gone Home) or the game looks good but runs like shit (Dreamfall Chapters.)
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.