[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just beat Fallout 1 for the first time without using any help/guides/mods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7
File: 1087-0-1447769641.jpg (766 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1087-0-1447769641.jpg
766 KB, 1680x1050
I just beat Fallout 1 for the first time without using any help/guides/mods or anything, what an amazing experience.

About to start Fallout 2. Is it as good? Are there any improvements? Things I should look out for or know in advance? Is a speech+small guns playthrough still viable?

Also, are there any other CRPGs like Fallout where it's not some generic fantasy setting, but instead a more unique setting (post apocalyptic, space, modern times)?
>>
Just skip straight to 3. It's the best one.
>>
>>343279189
>About to start Fallout 2. Is it as good? Are there any improvements? Things I should look out for or know in advance? Is a speech+small guns playthrough still viable?
Yes.
>>
>>343279306
Pls no shitpost.
I've already played 3 and NV extensively. I've come to the conclusion recently that 3 is a lot of fun and pretty good- if you completely avoid the main story.
>>
File: 1445529613818.jpg (564 KB, 1500x1714) Image search: [Google]
1445529613818.jpg
564 KB, 1500x1714
>>343279306
I wonder who is behind this post.
>>
Most people would agree that 2 improves upon 1 in every way. Also, prepare for wanamingos.
>>
>>343279189
Debatable. It's way more open and it has way more content but the story is worse, the atmosphere is worse and it's full of memes.

Companions are actually useable, for one, and you get way more content in general while core mechanics are the same.

Not really, if you've beaten Fallout 1 already then you should know the drill.

Sure, they're just as good.
>>
Fallout 2 is generally regarded as better than 1 and I agree. But I wish I'd played 1 first.

I'd highly recommend using the Restoration Patch for FO2, it restores an absolutely ridiculous amount of content which was cut from the game before release which really benefits the content and flow (as well as allowing you to play in modern resolutions).

>Also, are there any other CRPGs like Fallout where it's not some generic fantasy setting, but instead a more unique setting (post apocalyptic, space, modern times)?
Not really afaik, classic FO really is quite unique in that regard. If you want something more modern, Wasteland 2 is a sequel to FO1's spiritual predecessor so it's similar (much more focused on combat rather than roleplaying though).
>>
>>343279512
Good to hear
>>343279532
I've heard that the game is unbearable at points because of all the memes. I have played the first 30 minutes or so, and I noticed 4 or 5 references, even the enemies saying "asta la vista, baby" over and over.

Does anyone know when I get my first gun? The beginning is very frustrating because I have to use melee which I put no points into, so it takes forever to actually hit anything.
>>
>>343279760
>Does anyone know when I get my first gun?
Telling would be cheating, but you should get one pretty quickly after leaving Arroyo.

>The beginning is very frustrating because I have to use melee which I put no points into, so it takes forever to actually hit anything.
Yeah, Temple of Trials is a great casual filter.
>>
>>343279189
Hey OP,

I've got this game but not got into it.
Inspire me pls
>>
>>343279760
>Does anyone know when I get my first gun?
It's in the first town you go to, both your first """gun""" and something you can actually shoot.
>>
>>343279189
fallout 2 > fallout 1
>>
>>343279189
>Also, are there any other CRPGs like Fallout where it's not some generic fantasy setting, but instead a more unique setting

arcanum
>>
>>343279962
>>343279849
Cool cool, well thank you.
>>343279652
I will check that out, thank you. I already have Wasteland 2 but haven't gotten around to playing it.
>>343279928
Here's what got me to enjoy it- just imagine it's real.
It's a classic RPG, you're meant to actually play the role, so imagine it's all real, and just think about what you/your character would do in that situation. The story and dialogue are great and the gameplay isn't half bad either. Also, it's not nearly as hard as it seems- it was my first RPG of this type and I was still able to end the game with upwards of 25,000 caps in a 10 hour playthrough, with the absolute best equipment.

Just focus on getting really good at certain skills and save often.
>>
>>343279189
GET THE FUCKING RESTORATION PATCH

It is like a mod the community put out to restore parts of the game that were cut off. They also include a lot of bugfixes

>tfw i still have all my gear in my trunk
>>
File: pohtiva_kissa.jpg (164 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
pohtiva_kissa.jpg
164 KB, 800x600
>>343280134
>arcanum
This. No one ever talks about this. Even with all its unbalances (which can be mostly removed with mods) its still one of the best of its kind.
>>
Fallout 2 will rip you a new asshole
>>
Does Fallout 2 have better combat than 1?
>>
miss
miss
miss
miss
miss
>>
Prepare for more memes, that's for sure. Apart from that - better level design, mostly.

That being said, diplosniper is still the best build. You can talk through everything in F2, except two bosses, but they shouldn't be too much trouble.
>>
>>343283824
Critical hit for no damage! Feel the pain!
Critical hit for 1 damage! The scars will make nice party talk
>>
File: Todd_a64000_5446678.jpg (28 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
Todd_a64000_5446678.jpg
28 KB, 500x303
>>343279189
Just skip straight to 4.
>>
>>343284052
I wonder who's behind this post
>>
>>343279189
>About to start Fallout 2. Is it as good?

Yes, it's a legitimate Fallout 2.0. Wider areas, better quests, more items, skills, exploration, things to do, consequences. Basically everything you liked about F1 Fallout2 does better (except the overall atmosphere which is a bit different, F1 is more on the dark horror side than F2 is).
>>
>>343279760
>I've heard that the game is unbearable at points because of all the memes.
Bullshit, ignore them. The memes are few and easily ignored. In fact the whole "F2 is full of memes" is the real meme.
>>
>>343283628
I'm a huge RPG fan but I loathed Arcanum when it came out.
Sleep inducing musics, boring companions, awful exploration, atrocious item system and mostly useless spells, combat fucking horrendous.
>>
File: Fallout_2_(PC)_36[1].png (129 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_2_(PC)_36[1].png
129 KB, 640x480
>you will never drive around the Wasteland in the only car that's still working
>Vic is sitting next to you and telling shitty jokes, so you laugh at him, not with him
>Marcus is sitting in the back and taking up the entire backseat and looking peacefully at the sunset, feeling a little sorry you had to cut the roof off the car for him to fit in
>this is playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzMHvvBqVuY
>>
>>343284280
This
>>
>>343284412
It's not the obly car that still works, you know? It's implied that NCR uses motorized veichles too
>>
>>343279189
I'd say fallout 2 is more open and as a consequence slightly less atmospheric. The skills are pretty well balanced and I dont think there's any sort of "need to know before diving in" information so go for it.

Its a great game, anon. Have fun playing it!
>>
>>343280189
>10 hour playthrough
wat
>>
>>343284412
giga comfy
>>
>>343284576

this. fallout graphics never gets old, it's always so comfy to look at.
>>
Too many cultural references for my tastes.
San Francisco is basically a joke town.
>>
>>343284559
What what? Fallout 1 is easily beat in less than 7 hours, a newbie beating it in 10 is nothing spe
>>
>>343284685
New Reno is far more meme-tastic

And refer to >>343284280
>>
>>343284698
Anon, you alright there?
>>
Fallout 2 is about as dumb as Fallout 4

Remember how ridiculous it felt, walking through the Institute with no one giving a fuck about you, except you were clearly a member of the Brotherhood of Steel. there was an entire section of the base full of rogue robots locked away behind a "easy" lock, then shooting Shawn and having still no problems to go down and talk with everybody before going to Dr Li?

Prepare to feel the same sense of stupidity again when entering the Enclace headquarters after arriving on their mutant ridden ship, that isn't guarded at all, and has a bunch of junkies living on it. walking through the base with no problems and talking to everybody, including the president, who has no security around him and likes to chat with any random asshole deciding to take a visit, revealing his evil saturday morning cartoon plan, before you murder him with no consequences and nobody even suspecting you, or giving a fuck in the first place and then go and fight Frank Horrigan, who is a giant supermutant in power armor, and one of the highest ranking members of an organisation hellbent on exterminating all mutants.
>>
2 is worse in almost every way than the first except enemy variety. So prepare for that.
>>
>>343285023
>2
>worse

2 is the best in entire series
>>
>>343284698
for real? I thought this was some big RPG. jesus what even has time to happen RPG-wise in 7-10 hours?
>>
>>343285172
Quality>Quantity

Children these days...
>>
>>343284698
>Anon was sniped before he could finish this sentence
>>
>>343285105

> Arroyo
> Temple
> Memes
> Oil rig with president
> San fran instant win
> time travel
> outdoorsman

Etc fucking etc
>>
>>343285242
jesus christ though, that's like a video game nugget, a video game morsel. I mean how much longer would a FO2 playthrough be?
>>
>>343285294
good stuff
>>
I played FO1 twice and both times I quit at the super mutants base. Game got boring to me at that point for some reason. Feels like finding the water for your vault should have been the ending and not some save the world thing it seemed to lean towards.
>>
>>343279189
2's good play it

just leave the thread before some asshole spoils it for you
>>
>>343285313

Depends really, it can be beaten in a few hours if you go for it. There's a lot of side content though.

First run i ever did i pushed to the far end of the map as i always do, got to san Francisco in about 2 hours and probably finished the game in about 6. Was really disappointed, but since have done 20 hour+ playthroughs
>>
>>343285313
7 hours if you know what you are doing, yes.
Fallout 2 is like 20 hours long.
RPGs don't have to be 60 hours long with a fuckton of padding (as grinding, etc...) to be good.
JRPGs do that a lot, but that doesn't make them better than smaller games like Fallout
A lot of content in Fallout is in sidequests, doing all of those can take the gameplay time up to 15 hours, but just doing a normal run, mostly on main story takes less than 7
>>
>>343284972
>that isn't guarded at all
They don't need to, the only way someone would reach oil rig was by riding the PM Valdez, which they already deactivated (until you came along)
>and has a bunch of junkies living on it
What
>walking through the base with no problems and talking to everybody
Only if you wear power armor
>including the president
If your conversation derails or you reveal your identity
> who has no security around him
Why exactly ? They don't need so, you're in a top secret military base in the middle of the sea
> revealing his evil saturday morning cartoon plan
Yeah I stopped there, you're clearly biased
The Enclave has a point, they want to kill all muties to clear the path for a new USA
>>
>>343285458

How can you spoil it? The storys pretty bare bones and straight forward.

> evil plot
> stop evil plot
>>
>>343279306
fuck off Todd
>>
>>343285540
when has that never been the case in any video game ever?
>>
>>343285590

I almost agree

1 > 3 > NV > tactics > 2

Never played 4
>>
File: 1446111624796.jpg (575 KB, 1205x1032) Image search: [Google]
1446111624796.jpg
575 KB, 1205x1032
>>343279189
Fallout 2 is if Fallout 1 was made by Gearbox. I hope you like your le epic cultural references! OMGZOMG A WHALE SO RANDOM xD (No wait It's actually the whale from the Hitchikers guide to the galaxy a book everyone and their mother have seen if they haven't seen the TV show or movie or heard the radioshow gee I'm really clever to get this joke!).

The setting died in 2 and got revived in 3, thank god they knew they fucked up 2 and made New Vegas have most of that shit optional with the le wacky wasteland setting.
>>
>>343285658
The taste center of your brain is defective.
>>
>>343285637

In plenty, The Darkness and TLOU come to mind first but i vould definitely come up with more
>>
>>343285658
>>343285670
What a time to be alive
>>
>>343285670

Correct
>>
>>343285670
If you genuinely think 3 was better then tell then you're a retard.
>>
>>343284412
I want to do this ever since I knew there was a car in F2.
But I cant play 2 without playing 1 and Im too fucking bad, I barely even survived the first cave with the rats, and the mantis rekt me and I quit playing. I hate being this fucking awful.
>>
>>343285834
I'm not saying 3 was better than 1, I'm saying 2 butchered the setting while 3 revived it to at least have some serious themes instead of making you giggle your way trough the game as you did in 2.
>>
>>343280084
meme opinion
>>
>>343286025

Avellone is one of the worst current videogame writers.
>>
no fun allowed in MY fallouts, amirite ?
>>
>>343285670
>and made New Vegas have most of that shit optional with the le wacky wasteland setting.
Which is hilarious if you consider that the "whale" and most of other memes are random encounters in 2 as well.
>>
>>343286025
>I'm saying 2 butchered the setting while 3 revived it to at least
Your brain is dead, possibly already rotting.
>>
>>343279189
The plot is worse, especially the last boss which in my opinion is a big anti-climax.
Otherwise the world is larger, there are more things to do, more varried locations and no time limit so you can explore as much as you want.
>>
>>343285424
But the end is literally the best part

>>343286006
Tag small guns, speech, and barter. Easy mode fallout
>>
>>343286316
>Hubologists
>Talking deathclaws
>Radscorpion playing chess
>A bunch of references in dialogues
>A FUCKING GHOST
>Le wacky shaman on drugs
>Pinky and The Brain
I could go on
>>
>>343287738
And Fallout had a Star Trek shuttlecraft and Dr. Who's phonebooth. Cultural references is hardly new to FO2.
>>
>>343284412
jesus poor Marcus wouldn't even fit in the back the poor bloke would have to sit outside in the boot
>>
>>343288532
Those were random encounters, what I listed was in the actual gameplay, some being part of the main story.
>>
>>343279189
Fallout 2 has a larger scope and some good additions and fixes over 1, especially followers,
but overall I felt that it kinda lacked 1's charm and atmosphere. It's still good though.

Speech + small guns is generally considered the vanilla choice. Can't go wrong with that.
But it should be mentioned that a melee character is actually viable in 2.

If you're looking for non-fantasy crpgs Jagged Alliance 2 is a must, especially with the 1.13 patch if you want a hardcore experience.

For something similar to Classic Fallout, Wasteland 2 is a solid choice.

Despite it's poor reputation I honestly enjoyed Fallout Tactics. Just don't expect the game to be anything but 90% combat.

The Fall: Last Days of Gaia is a flawed game that is quite similar to Wasteland 2 in a way, even though it came much earlier. Even though it's very crude there are a lot of interesting elements (like drivable cars and stand/crouch/crawl positions) of which I had hoped would be in Wasteland 2. It's worth a shot if you miraculously come across a copy.
>>
File: header.jpg (70 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
70 KB, 460x215
>>343289185
>For something similar to Classic Fallout
>>
>>343289482
I played it and I can't really agree.
>>
>>343289482
Do I get to have companions in this game?
I just finished fucking up that guy and his dogs squatting in one of the outposts
>>
How am I suppose to play Tactics?
I tried it out and I just crawled around the place and shot people
I tried to make it turn based like in 1 and 2 but it was so slow, I feel like I'm waiting for the whole map of bad guys to move around before I can control my men again

Also I can't gauge line of sights, heights and angles. When I'm crawling besides a small cover obviously I can't shoot anything behind it but when I move farther I can, but I don't know the distance where the angle will be enough for me to shoot ever the cover. Same goes when I'm on a high ground and there's someone below.
>>
>>343279189
>Hey guys I just beat fallout 1 without any external aid and I had a great time
>So here I am asking for external aid for fallout 2
I honestly don't understand you kids.
>>
>>343291289
I think you can speed up enemy movement in the options.

I played it turn-based for the first couple missions but eventually switched to real-time and set all my mercs to aggressive.

FT is kind of awkward in terms of strategic turn-based combat.
Play Jagged Alliance 2 and you'll know what I mean.
>>
>>343287738
>Hubologists
Dont see what was wrong with a religious cult
>Talking deathclaws
They said themselves they were heavily mutated and experimented on by the Enclave, Its not that farfetched that they grasped the english language from listening to the enclave
Again, Was said the rad scorpion was given heavy doses of mentats, The only thing that bothered me was the Scorpion having glasses
>A bunch of references in dialogues
Usually Subtle and not as bad as you make it out to be
>A FUCKING GHOST
Yeah I guess so
M8, have you seen what healing powder does to you? Its a suprise he isnt on the ground crying
>Pinky and The Brain
Didnt encounter this so cant speak for it

Seems you are heavily cherry picking or being autistic. Calm down
>>
I tried it for 3 hours. Really didn't like it.
>>
>>343284972
Either you didn't play the game or you are baiting hard because what you said is incredibly untrue

>>343287738
>Hubologists
It's a cult, there are many in the FO universe

>Talking Deathclaws
They say in the Enclave's outpost that they have been experimenting with Deathclaws to try to turn them into soldiers and that they made them too smart for their own good

Happens only once and it was the result of giving a Radscorpion several doses of Mentats wich increase intelligence

>Bunch of references in dialogues
So? They are not bad, and the game isn't forcing you to pick those choices when you talk to someone. I don't think even the developers wanted you to pick them

>Ghost
Never did this quest, so i can't talk about this one

Well, healing powder is pretty much cocaine except with a different name

>Pinky and The Brain
Where is this?
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.