[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you go about designing a cooking video game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: mama.png (66 KB, 454x485) Image search: [Google]
mama.png
66 KB, 454x485
How would you go about designing a cooking video game?
>>
Can't think of any other besides Cooking Mama that exists (other than shitty shovelware, and even Cooking Mama is pushing the actual game vs. shovelware limits).
>>
I'd put food in it
>>
>>343270871
Make a facebook tier "click in rhythm to cook" style game, then ask for a half million for it on kickstarter.
>>
>>343270871
Cooking Mama was fine though
>>
RPG but instead of finding equipment and treasure and shit you find ingredients which you can turn into food, which temporarily improves your stats and allows you to go to harder dungeons for rarer ingredients
>>
>>343271104
I love games with alchemy mechanics. Spent most of my time in skyrim cultivating and mixing drinks because the alchemy was more fun than the combat.
>>
Honestly i would love a game where there were actual recepues with actual foods that at least gave you a general idea on how to cook real life foods, I'm just not sure how you would make that more than a shitty interactive cooking book or something.
>>
>>343271601
That's actually a pretty good idea. There needs to be more edutainment games that are also actual games. I'd love to see a fun game that teaches math or programming, like a cyberpunk game where you program code to progress. Apparently some new driving / racing simulator game coming out this year allows you to earn an actual racing license.
>>
PERFECT

EVEN BETTER ZEN MAMA
>>
>>343271104
Odin Sphere
>>
File: 1444047544461.jpg (104 KB, 700x576) Image search: [Google]
1444047544461.jpg
104 KB, 700x576
>>343270871
>>
A game where restaurants are like powerful kingdoms at war with one another. The world is populated by vicious food monsters that you have to slay and turn into ingredients, which you cook to appease the gods or some shit.
>>
File: 1461913664464.jpg (28 KB, 324x305) Image search: [Google]
1461913664464.jpg
28 KB, 324x305
Multiplayer cooking game where you and your friends have to prepare orders for people and Gordon Ramsay is yelling at you the whole time.
And of course you get that one bitch who returns your order because it was slightly too hot or wasn't made the way they like it.
Would be fun at a LAN just for the ensuing chaos.
Would be fun to try at a LAN.
>>
If I were to make a game about cooking, I'd probably make it so you have over 1000 recipes you can prepare. Hell, I don't think I can even fit my country's recipes with only 1000 slots.

Fuck, I love cooking
>>
You can make your own recipes.
>>
>>343273443
That sounds like it would be fun as fuck. Add a travel mechanic where your team is taken in gourmet restaurants around the world to prepare local cuisine and you get a solid roster of recipes. May or may not include cameos of other angry-tier chefs.
>>
Anyone else here tried "Cook, Serve, Delicious!" ?
I had quite a bit of fun just spending a few minutes mashing out orders.
>>343273443
I would play that shit
YOU CALL THIS A RISOTTO?!
>>
>>343271601
You mean like Cooking Mama?
I'm gonna be honest with you, I actually learned some shit from that game.
>>
>>343273784
You have some premade recipes but you can substitute ingredients with different ones and get bigger rewards if they make sense or improve the dish.
>>
A successful one? Make it all stupid and make it a mine for lets-players. Like surgeon simulator and having wacky physics, maybe random super bounce on stuff you pick up. Bowls explode from cracking eggs or whatever.

One that I would play?
Oculus rift in a fully stocked, beautiful kitchen with grading on the dishes. You can play music from your library as you cook at home or have time limits and harsh conditions in a busy restaurant.
>>
>>343274431
>Bowls explode from cracking eggs or whatever.
Better yet, for "irony comedy points" give the player an unlimited amount of eggs they can smash everywhere because it's funny.

>harsh conditions in a busy restaurant

Oh boy. I can't wait for the occulus rift add on that simulates the low temperatures of the deepest parts of a walk in freezer.
>>
>>343270871
Just make Surgeon Simulator but in a kitchen with tons of ingredients available.
>>
>>343270871
You make a game that gives people grocery lists and actually makes them cook the food in their house.
>>
>>343274621
I mean the yelling and mess and dropping things if you're not careful in the restaurant. But yeah. Cake. Eggs. Flour. Just let them fuck around with food and make a mess. But if you have the "goal" of cooking in the game they can make their audience think they're being clever for playing it the wrong way.
>>
>>343274947
>and dropping things

Now THIS could get interested.

>INSERT NAME HERE, you just dropped some oil on the floor. Wat do?
>Ignore, I'm in a hurry.

>slip and knock yoself unconscious, ruin everything

I was taught to toss some salt on it, but I never got to test that out.
>>
>>343275129
Technically with enough salt it should work. The friction from the salt would counter the slippiness of the oil
>>
the gameplay is identical to cooking mama but it's in real time
instead of the 5-20 second minigames you have to wait 20 minutes for the oven to heat up then another 30 while it cooks the food
>>
>>343276023
I would like that, but then I realize that to properly cook some dishes you need several hours of cooking and that would be mind numbingly boring even if you only put in a couple of them. Maybe you could make it a restaurant simulation where you can manage the rest of thw restaurant while the food cooks in the oven or in the pot.
>>
Make the dishes scale with difficulty, starting from "American college student", where all you do is make ramen and shit like that, and ending to "3 Michelin star chef"
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.