[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't anyone make a cel shaded game similar to GTA?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: jet set radio.jpg (75 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
jet set radio.jpg
75 KB, 480x360
Why doesn't anyone make a cel shaded game similar to GTA?

With the resources saved from stylization couldn't that power be used for more interiors and interactivity?

Wind Waker looks great on Dolphin, now imagine a cel shaded game made for the PS4/Xbone, it could look amazing.
>>
Gravity rush looks fantastic on ps4
>>
File: Wind Waker dolphin.jpg (758 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Wind Waker dolphin.jpg
758 KB, 1600x900
>>343248358
and that was made for the Vita's hardware which is below PS3/360
>>
Crackdown
>>
File: Crackdown1.jpg (150 KB, 900x508) Image search: [Google]
Crackdown1.jpg
150 KB, 900x508
>>343249619
but this ain't cel shaded, it looks barely stylized
>>
>>343248125
Most "gamers" nowadays don't respect the art style or never even played a cell shaded game since they started playing in the 6th or 7th gen. And the media might latch onto a story about a graphic "cartoon-looking game" trying to corrupt our kids, but I don't know if they care about games anymore.

>>343250408
That seems cherrypicked from what I remember of the game. It was subtle but very noticeable in the environments and even lighter on some of the models. It might have been distance related based on LOD.
>>
>>343248125
because like anything "similar" to gta the hipster devs usually need to do something to differentiated WERE NOT JUST ANOTHER GTA CLONE.

Which in my opinion limited sleeping dogs replay ability. Fuck the bongs sleeping dogs was just wasted potential .
>>
>>343248125
>Why doesn't anyone make a cel shaded game similar to GTA?
Why would they?
>>
File: okami-hd02.jpg (304 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
okami-hd02.jpg
304 KB, 1280x720
>>343252830
because it would be great
>>
>>343248125
Because it's less about the raw hardware requirements to render the stuff and more about the time required to make those assets. Art team can knock out a generic building in 5-10 man-hours of work depending on how fancy they make it. Time to create it also stays fairly static no matter how big it is.

Creating a building with an interior, however, scales geometrically with size and internal detail. A suburban home could take an art team a week of effort to create. Granted, you can reuse assets, but without doing a straight copy-paste, you're still looking at a time investment that's three or five fold as big as the simple alternative that is the industry norm.

Also, consoles are hideously underpowered and don't have the resources to pull it off.
>>
>>343251304
That's still not cell shading, that's just heavy outlines.
>>
>>343251304
This. The primary demographic for modern GTA wouldn't touch a "kiddy" looking game with a 50 foot pole. It's unfortunate but that's just how it is.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.