[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really do HATE to be THAT guy but, Dark Souls 2 was not that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4
File: Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (56 KB, 256x369) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
56 KB, 256x369
I really do HATE to be THAT guy but, Dark Souls 2 was not that bad of a fucking game.. Here's my rating:

Storyline: 8/10
NPC's: 9.5/10
Weaponry: 7/10
Level-design: 5.5/10 (Most were good, some lacked that "umph" and others were just fucking terrible)
Hub-world: 10/10 (Majula is fucking gorgeous)
Bosses: 6/10 (definitely could have been more creative)
Enemies: 5.5/10 (and that is me being generous)
>>
And here we go again.
>>
>>343232159

Majula is awful.
>>
>>343232159

>Storyline: 8/10

Never change from drones.
>>
>>343232159
>NPC's 9.5/10

Did you play any other game in the series?
>>
>>343232159
I think the storyline should be higher as well as the weaponry. 2 had the best of the series.

Everything else I pretty much agree with.
>>
>>343232159
>NPC's: 9.5/10
>nearly all of them you talk to them once and they sit in majula for the rest of the playthrough
>>
>>343232159
i went from bloodborne to dark souls 2, and quit within the first hour, ds2 sucked
>>
>>343233865
How is that any different from the other games? Also you're wrong about talking to them once. They gave a lot of insight to the lore and I think every character also had various condition specific dialogue.
>>
>>343232159
>Storyline: 8/10
>NPC's: 9.5/10
Who the fuck cares about those? And the game was bad because it took Dark Souls' combat and managed to make it worse
>>
>>343233128
Every hub world in the series is awful.

Majula had best music and waifu.
>>
>>343234275

>omni directional rolling
>more viable weapons
>more than 3 levels of rolling

Yeah naw.
>>
DS2 took a lot more risk than DS3 did, and even though some did not work out, I enjoyed the ones that did, such as the Shaded Woods enemies, and the weapon durability actually mattering (in DS3 I trekked through an entire area, and my katana was at 33/35). Also, the DLC is the best.
>>
>>343234191
In DaS1 they leave and go die,

>>343232159
>general consensus is DaS2 isn't a bad game its just not as good as the first one
>everyone still thinks you think DaS2 is an irredeemable piece of garbage

I'd play it again before I finish the Witcher 2, god was that game boring.
>>
>>343232159
So i just started DS1.
Is it supposed to be so fucking clunky?
Like what the fuck.
>>
>>343232159
Best in the series
>>
>>343234375
I'm sorry but the shaded woods enemies (the ones that were practically invisible) were complete bull shit. Thank god I only died twice in that area but jesus fucking christ. The fog didn't fucking help either.
>>
>>343234417
That was only one guy and he was the copy/paste of the crestfallen warrior from demon's souls.
>>
>>343234628
Yes and it'll stay that way throughout the game. Don't know how I even got as far as I did before quitting.
>>
>>343234741
Both Magicians, Lautrec, laurentius, Vince, Nico, Rhea, siegmeyer, and yes Crestfallen like you said
>>
>>343234826
Are you okay?
>>
>>343234741
>Laurentius
>Lautrec
>Petrus
>Rea and the Beavis and Butthead squad
>Logan
>Griggs

You haven't played the game, just admit it and atleast save your honour.
>>
>>343234367
>shockwaves
>Adaptability
Yeah, no
>>
It's the same quality as the other Souls games, which is low.
>>
>>343235090
Don't forget soul memory, fake poise and the stiff as fuck swordplay; the latter STILL drives me nuts
>>
>>343234297
Firelink Shrine was the best because it wasn't necessary to keep going back. But Atmosphere wise, Majula wins.
>>
>>343235171
But not the same quality as yer momma, aye?

Eheh!
>>
Im thinking of getting this game soon. Is there any benefit of picking up the ps3 version over the ps4 version?
>>
>>343234973
No, he needs to poopy.
>>
>>343232159
NPC were no where near that good, at all. Worst in the series. Only good one was Lucatiel.
And Majura was awful.
>>
>>343235369
PS4 version is 60fps and therefor not trash like DeS and BB
>>
>>343234895
DS2 had its share of roaming NPCs too though.

Pate/Creighton
Lucatiel
that dwarf guy with the fake moonlight sword
Gavlan
Navlaan
Darkdiver guy
probably others I'm forgetting.
>>
>>343235369
Yea, less framerate
>>
>>343235471
As I said I think Dark Souls is a good game, i'm just disappointed that the NPCs that arrive at Majula don't continue their adventure, they sorta just sit around.

Lucatiel was My favorite Char for the longest time
>>
>>343232159
Storyline and NPCs were weak, but strong weapons.

You didnt include creative armors (inc. with weapons for creative builds) and good online play which was the strength of this game.

Arena was the single greatest addition to Souls games and the devs took it out for some reason.
>>
The gameplay was bad. There's no going around it. Tanimura took a big fat dump on every mechanic just because and that is the biggest reason 2 is a turd.
>>
>>343232159
Could you compare that to DS1? I'm halfway through it, and I heard it's the best one, so I'm not sure if I want to play DS2
>>
File: 1450305366938.jpg (28 KB, 329x374) Image search: [Google]
1450305366938.jpg
28 KB, 329x374
>>343232159
>sunny souls
>>
>>343235627
They sat around because they all had functions. If they weren't vendors, they taught magics or led a covenant.

At least they frequently gave input about other NPCs and the story as far as you'd gotten though, unlike in 3 where NPCs had absolutely no life in them. Not even a clever quip.
>>
>>343235471
Pate and Creighton had no themes or emotions attached to their story. Essentially filler.

Lucatiel was good.

Moonlight Sword guy was ok.

Gavlan had no story. Random as fuck (funny but no resonance)

Navlaan was a cool concept but essentially a recycling of old stuff like Lautrec and the black armour guy from DeS.

Darkdivers had no story.

DS2 had the npcs there but they had no significance. IMO this is exactly what DS2 and also DS3 lacked. The story was just there to provide gameplay without any deeper levels. DeS, DaS1 and BB all tried to make you think. About what exactly was happening, why and who these people were. DaS 2 and 3 just hold virtually no interest which makes the game seem interminably dull despite whatever good things they had.
>>
File: PNLWqhOZ.jpg (42 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
PNLWqhOZ.jpg
42 KB, 512x512
>>343235967
>>
>>343236058
>Pate and Creighton had no themes or emotions attached to their story. Essentially filler.
Thought it had a pretty strong and clever theme. The whole time, you don't know who was in the wrong and you're expected to side with one of them. In the end it turns out that they're both dicks and neither should be left alive.
>>
DS2 is easily the best in the series.
>>
>>343235762
DS1
storyline: 9
npcs: 9
weaponry: 7
level design: 10
hub: 8
bosses: 8
enemies: 8

but DS2 is worse than his chart so...
>>
>>343236058
I wouldn't glorify the NPCs in BB. Everything else is amazing, but goddamn the NPC sidequests are shallow and unfulfilling.
>>
>>343235994
I hark on 3 too, Laurentius, Rhea, Logan, and Griggs are also Vendors but they left and died still, thats what I wanted So what if I lose their spells at least it makes the resting spot feel like an actual resting spot and not a fort

God I was so disappointed in DaS3 when no one mentioned anything about the maiden disappearing, But just the same I didn't like some things in 2, it doesn't mean i think the game is shit

Also before anyone says anything yes I know they usually didn't leave until you bought everything so you couldn't miss something in the first place persay, but I didn't know that my first time through, So it helped make the characters feel more fleshed out
>>
>>343235994
>Karla
>Cornyx
>Orbeck
>Sirris
>BEST FUCKING BRO GREYRAT

Just shut up
>>
>>343236563
also Yuria and Anri.
>>
>>343236251
I guess thats kind of a theme... but you never empathise with them in any way whatsoever.

Compare them with Lautrec or Patches. Lautrec is clearly a huge fuckbag, and the game displays his personality with his gaudy armor, sinister weapon and horrible actions. But by reading his shit you can see that hes a nuanced character who works on more than one level. Patches is also a fuckbag but the way he continually fucks you over breeds a deep resentment. Confronting him leads to his characteristic groveling showing you that ultimately hes a pathetic person who tricks you because hes weak.

Pate and Creighton, despite the cool concept of trying to decide who is right, have no personality! They are both just 'mysterious vaguely sinister guy'. Why should I care at all whos right or not? Neither of them really interact with me meaningfully throughout the game.

>>343236563
The NPCs were kinda cool in DS3, but I just really wish they had more dialog and personality. Like Orbeck warming up to you and saying anything more than 'you made a promise'. Sirris and Anri were great storylines but thats about it.
>>
>>343236619
Sure, Yuria has a bit more character than Anri methinks, but loveable character.

FUCKING try to kill cornyx and don't tell me you feel like shit afterwards.
Also, all the patches encounters?
>>
>>343236959
*you don't
>>
>>343236058
>The story was just there to provide gameplay without any deeper levels.
The story in DS2 was more fleshed out and had more depth than DS1. If you believe otherwise, I think you've made a conscious decision to not pay attention. From the circumstances of the war with the giants to the fall of the king and the rise of the queen, the unlocking of the soul and the experimentation that was done with it, the peek into the age of dragons and Aldia's grand fuckup, Shanalotte's mission and the ultimatum of the throne of Want, and that's not even getting into the DLC.

DS1's lore was great too, especially royal business involving the heirs of sun but it just wasn't as interesting as 2 was imo.
>>
>>343236563
>Yuria all over again
>Cornyx who does absolutely nothing after he arrives in the shrine

What the fuck.
>>
>>343233667
But this is true. They all felt like they had their own shit to do and you got to see them evolve over the game.
>>
After a couple hundred hours with each game, DS2 ended up being my favorite and DS3 ended up being my least favorite.
>>
>>343232159
It's not a bad game at all, it's just worse than any of the others. It's still well worth playing.
>>
The NPCs were easily my least favorite part of the game, they're just so boring compared to DeS and DaS1's NPCs.
>>
>>343237389
It's only worse than BB honestly.

It's quite on par with DS1 and above DS3, unless the DLC is insanely good.
>>
>>343234297
>The Nexus
>Maiden in Black
>>
>>343237070
You make a convincing argument, but I still disagree. DS2 had some grand ideas but ultimately it didnt have the coherency that DS1 did. The war with giants, the soul experimentation, the story of shanalotte, the throne of want... all of it was so half baked, so unexplained and pointlessly mysterious. It didnt really make a whole lot of sense. What was the throne of want? why did sitting in it end the game? what happened to the PC then? What was the will of the giants and why did it matter? It had all these ideas, which I'll give credit, have a lot of potential but it just was not strung together.

Compared to how tight and deep the lore of DS1 is, its not even a conest.
>>
>>343237237
Cornyx has something to say about any tome you find in the game, che warms up to you, and gives you a speech about the real nature of the flame.
>>
>>343237560
No, it's far worse than DaS1 and also noticeably worse than DaS3 and DeS.
>>
>>343237070
>>343237628
Ill add to this by saying I havent played the DLC which I have heard to be very good and add a lot to the game.

Also another point is that DS2 was cluttered a lot by the cycle business, referencing DS1 all the time made it even messier and more confusing.
>>
>>343237905
>worse than DeS
>the souls game with 2 actual decent bosses

kek
>>
>>343237560
>>343237905
I think you can make a case for it being on par with DS3 to be honest. But still Das2=DaS3 < DeS < DaS1=BB
>>
>>343238071
And DaS2 has no decent bosses so yeah DeS is still better.
>>
>>343237932
>referencing DS1 all the time made it even messier and more confusing.
Not nearly as much as 3. 2's callbacks look subtle and well done in hindsight.
>>
It has the best gameplay of the souls games
>>
>>343237628
>so unexplained and pointlessly mysterious. It didnt really make a whole lot of sense.
Going to reiterate that you've likely made a conscious decision to not pay attention. Even if you got lost on some parts of the story, they put a god character in the game (in the form of a cat) that would feed you clues and insight. This is in addition to a couple other NPCs that would do the same, but to a lesser degree (crestfallen guy, Shanalotte, Agdayne, ghost chancellor). So you didn't even have to pay attention to the item descriptions and surroundings so much if you didn't want to.
>>
I only picked up DS2 a week ago, kind of half playing it after work sometimes. Every weapon seems to suck and the bosses are all boring as shit. I can't think of a single boss I needed more than three tries to beat, and most of them I beat the very first time.

In Dark Souls every single boss was a fucking barrier to overcome. Took me like two days to beat the Taurus Demon. Dark Souls 2 feels like every single boss I just roll to the side and hit their back, it doesn't even take very long. I think I summoned a phantom once just because I noticed the sign.
>>
>>343237561
Overrated as fuck, an explorable world where you can almost never have to set foot at the hub like in DaS 1 is infinetly better. Bonfire chan is perfect.
>>
>>343238234
It's floaty as shit. It plays the worst by far.
>>
>>343238270
>Took me like two days to beat the Taurus Demon
>Dark Souls 2 feels like every single boss I just roll to the side and hit their back

There's a lot of irony in this post. Also a lot of bullshit though.
>>
>>343237389
This. It's certainly lacking originality (especially regarding enemies) and it feels a bit rough on edges, but it's still nowhere as bad as this sub likes to say.
>>
>>343238204
True sadly.

>>343238257
Man I tried to work it out. I'm someone who obsesses over lore and shit like that (obviously) but even though I pieced together the story like what youre saying, and I agree the actual concepts brought up are more interesting overall, I still think the way the game handles the lore is very vague and unsatisfying.

In DS1 it felt like a real world that you had stepped into. DS2 feels like a loose collection of half told stories that dont really fit together. The lore in DS1 was all interconnected whereas in DS2 everything feels like a one off idea that has no bearing on the others. Like all the random as fuck areas ie. Heide's tower of flame which had no relevance on the story whatsoever. The harvest valley and even the iron keep just werent relevant to the rest of the story.

I really do appreciate that you loved the ideas behind DS2's story, and I can see why, but the flaws really override them to me.
>>
File: sosunny.png (1 MB, 1460x926) Image search: [Google]
sosunny.png
1 MB, 1460x926
>>343235967
>>
>>343238270
dude, of fucking course your first souls game was way harder
>>
>>343240450
I played 2 before 1 and I still found 1's bosses harder. Overall 2 is a harder game due to more cheap bullshit and frequent mob ambushes but the bosses in it are pathetically simple.
>>
>>343241084
matter of taste, I guess
I have not found any boss in 1 harder than Darklurker, Fume Knight or Lud & Zallen
>>
>>343232159
>Level-design: 5.5/10 (Most were good, some lacked that "umph" and others were just fucking terrible)
>Bosses: 6/10 (definitely could have been more
>Enemies: 5.5/10 (and that is me being generous)

honestly, that's the only shit I care about in the Souls game

Well that and the invasion system, which DS2 fucked up by removing the eye orb
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.