[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What gameplay innovations can we expect to see in RTS games in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: Company-of-Heroes-2-preview-5.jpg (798 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Company-of-Heroes-2-preview-5.jpg
798 KB, 1920x1080
What gameplay innovations can we expect to see in RTS games in the future?
>>
>>343221014
>lower sales than ever before
>greater descent into obscurity
>being completely forgotten about in the public
>>
And by "gameplay innovations," I mean changes besides having more units on screen as computers get more powerful.
>>
>>343222484
/thread
>>
This thread is hilarious.

OP make one for arena fps too.
>>
>>343222484
I agree that the RTS genre has fallen a long way since its glory days, but I'm pretty confident that there will always be a niche audience for them.

>>343222641
The RTS genre isn't as dead as Arena shooters by a long shot.
>>
File: 3057641-2.jpg (2 MB, 6980x3924) Image search: [Google]
3057641-2.jpg
2 MB, 6980x3924
A greater emphasis on hero characters, epic abilities and a cleaner, crisp and more colourful presentation so newcomers to the series can jump in right away!

I'll never forgive Relic
>>
>>343221014
I wish this game still didn't have the commander dlc bullshit
>>
Smth like in Universe at War
>>
>>343222770

LOL holy shit this thread is fantastic. So many good jokes.
>>
>>343222857
sounds like you want another warcraft 3

i do as well
>>
>>343223003
he's right though...How can you even deny that?
>>
>>343223240

The RTS genre hasn't been relevant or innovative in more than a decade now.
>>
>>343221014
>RTS games in the future
?
>>
Considering the big saviors of the genre this year, Homeworld Deserts of Kharak and Ashes of the Singularity, turned out poorly, I'd say it's all over. SC2 completely failed. MOBA trash killed RTS and is now killing shooters.
>>
>>343222857
That's exactly what Total War: Warhammer did
>>
>>343226614
did you honestly expect a new homeworld game to be good?
1 was great
1.5 was better
2 was different but still alright

the problem right now is RTS is very much a niche game, you can partly blame blizzard for not expanding to warcraft 4
also EA killed of pretty much every RTS dev worth anything and PA was a utter failure despite MASSIVE funding for a game of that type
>>
>>343223024
>>343222857
Yes please
>>
>>343221014

MOBA being considered Nu-RTS
>>
Grey goo was such a dissapointment.
It's still fun despite being so fucking lackluster though.
>Goo doesn't leave dead terrain behind the proteans and mother goos
>>
File: dismantle.jpg (34 KB, 589x758) Image search: [Google]
dismantle.jpg
34 KB, 589x758
I don't even want Warcraft 4 that bad.. i just want a remake of Warcraft 3. Same campaign, same cinematics, new engine, better graphics + fps, more units selectable, hotkeys, etc etc yadda yadda
>>
RTS in VR
>>
>>343228850
>tfw Warcraft 3 remake/Warcraft 4 has the potential to be the greatest game of all time

This is true if, and only if, there is a custom game engine as powerful as the original War 3 one, which is highly unlikely, seeing as how Starcraft 2's engine was a failure, despite being insanely powerful as well.
>>
>>343221014
Planetary Annihilation covered all the possible innovations the genre will see for the next decade.
>>
more pylons
>>
>>343228850
if Warcraft 4 came out it'd be a shitty mod in the Starcraft 2 engine just like Heroes of the Storm
>>
File: Bloom in the cathedral of Kadesh.jpg (156 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Bloom in the cathedral of Kadesh.jpg
156 KB, 1920x1200
>>343221014
By filling the levels with BLOOM.
>>
>>343229889
in the confines of space there can only be cosmic radiation and bloom
no eyes allowed, sensors only
>>
>>343221014
physics effecting gameplay
the map and the units feel more realistic, alive, there's interaction between terrain and unit movement/behavior and it isn't just +/-5 armor or something
units' weapons are not just "shoot projectile, enemy's hp goes down", but they actually impact the game like units with fast firing guns would either circle the enemy or if they got a BIG fast firing gun they'd suppress the area, denying movement
>>
>>343229636
And the game blew hot chode. Literally everything PH did, SupCom did before it and much better.
>>
>>343230418
funny enough because thats exactly what company of hero's does, well more or less
>>
>>343230418
Men of war?
>>
>>343221014

hero based action just like MoBAs
>>
>>343229862
Well I mean, the Starcraft 2 engine is insanely powerful, so it wouldn't even be that bad.
>>
>>343230542
> Literally everything PH did, SupCom did before it and much better.
said no one ever
>>
>>343230612
company of heroes feels too static and rigid for me somehow
don't know, I think it might be that the actual map apart from LoS breaking objects is empty
also those occasions when two squads are standing in front of each other and just shooting while their HP goes down and models are slowly dropping is dreadful

>>343230624
kind of, buildings could use more advanced tech like rubble actually becoming obstacle/cover
but I think their engine is getting too old now

>>343231172
yeah, because why state the obvious
>>
>>343221014
Probably none. SupCom:FA is pretty much the best and hasn't been topped although the Tier system kinda sucks.

Somehow strategy need to come back instead of 200 APM clickfests. Memorising build orders is not fun and doesn't have much to do with strategy.
>>
>>343221014
no idea but whatever day9's cookin
>>
>>343231172
You sound like a disappointed backer anon. C'mon you can tell us, we're all anon here rite?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.