[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm always looking for new strategy games to play, and realized
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
I'm always looking for new strategy games to play, and realized that I've never gotten into the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series.

Are the later games good? Worth getting into? Any recommendations on which games to start with?
>>
I asked the same thing once and got a pretty much identical answer.
>>
>>343217812
Yeah, no one really talks about the series here at all, yet they seem pretty popular in Asia.

I just want to expand a bit.
>>
>>343216681
You mean the Koei series?

I played a couple of the games on the PS2. By that point, there were some interesting aspects - namely, being able to wander around on your own or run a country - but running the country felt rather boring and I never ultimately understood how war combat worked. I've not played many other strategy games, though, so don't have much to compare it with.
>>
>>343218848
I see a lot of the PS2 games have Windows ports. I wouldn't mind emulating the earlier games, though.

Do you remember which PS2 game you liked best?
>>
>>343219234
I think I only played RotTK7 and RotTK8. I would definitely recommend 8 of the two, which had more features for running around independently and more modes. At least, from what I remember.

In general, the series just seemed to keep improving with each successive game. I seem to recall one game being a stumbling block in the series - I think it was 12 which people found disappointing - but didn't play it to know myself. I also wasn't around when 13 came out, so I don't remember if it fixed the problems.
>>
>>343220121
Steam reviews seem "mixed" for 12, so maybe that was it.
>>
I'd probably enjoy it more after watching the drama but I don't want to see Shu lose.
>>
>>343220915
So, you've played it? Do the games tend to focus more on the generals/RPG elements/personalities than they do on strategy?
>>
There's also nobunaga's ambition.
>>
>>343216681
Strategy is fucking shit that only PCucks like fucking kill yourself, Redditor.
>>
>>343221301
Good call. Tecmo Koei has a lock on Sengoku era and Three Kingdoms era, so you can pick your flavor
>>
>tfw no warriors orochi empires
>>
>>343221301
>>343221679
Do these Koei games have good AI, by the way? That's really important to me for strategy games.
>>
>>343221864
They actually explained that once.

Their reason was, shit you not: "We don't want to milk the series."

From Koei fucking Tecmo of all companies.
>>
>>343220915
>I don't want to see Shu lose.
You run the country in these games. It isn't like Dynasty Warriors; you actually play out and determine how things end up.

Most RotTK games will have a "historical" campaign mode, where events roughly happen as they did in the books, and an "standard" campaign mode, where things will just happen as they would in a standard strategy game. Campaign mode generally has the same events like Lu Bu joining the same army, certain people dying at certain points, and the same armies being defeated at the same times, but if you are running an army scheduled to "lose" then you can fight the battle and change the outcome. The standard campaign just plays out however the numbers and RNG determine.

Later games in the series have campaigns for different stages of time, so you could jump in during a specific timeframe if you want. Or you could play the full campaign, beginning with the start and having empires change and split up as the different eras occur.

>>343221056
RotTK is far more strategy. I think that Kessen had more focus on character personalities, although I've not played it to be sure.
>>
>>343221943
The only one I've played is Sphere of Influence and I have 30 hours on it so this is what I think. The AI is somewhat customizable as you can change things like their income, labor, agressiveness, and overall competency. When I played on normal difficulty across the board as the Shimazu, I felt that the AI provided a challenge at every step in the game. When I was small I has to maneveur around alliances so I didnt trigger the regional powers like Otomo, when I was medium size smaller AI clans would form a coalition against me to try and contain my expansion, and when I was large another clan would also be large and went through the same problems as I did and it would be a clash of titans. The AI can be sorta cheesed if you know when clans will become fed up with your shit and avoid that, but I felt the AI was mostly competent on normal. Don't know about the other games though
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.