[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say the PS2 is the greatest console ever when the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 21
File: 708sonyplay.141980.jpg (24 KB, 450x283) Image search: [Google]
708sonyplay.141980.jpg
24 KB, 450x283
Seriously, what did the ps2 have EXCLUSIVELY to make it better than Genesis, ps1, dreamcast, colecovision, nes, snes, or HELL even original xbox?

Why is the ps2 so overrated especially when a majority of its library also had gamecube, xbox, and pc ports? It has about 5-6 9/10 games, about 25 8's, and 1,000's upon 1,000's of shovelware and multiplats.

No meme answers, REAL genuine fucking answers. Because I can't wrap my head around it. Did THAT many people really just start gaming with a ps2?
>>
>>343127232
Because a lot of people had it, basically.

It sold like crazy since it was literally the cheapest DVD player on the market and it could also play games.
>>
>SNES
>PS1
>PS2
>Gamecube
>Genesis
In that order. Now come at me.
>>
>>343127438
A lot of people having it doesn't make it the greatest console ever made.

To be the greatest GAME console ever made, you have to have a diverse portfolio of the greatest games ever made EXCLUSIVELY for your platform. PS1 and NES fit that bill far more than the fucking ps2. In terms of "greatest games ever made" ps2 only has mgs2, team ico, and gran turismo 3 off the top of my head.
>>
PS2 could play PS1 games.
>>
>>343127907
Oh fuck I forgot >>343127438
. MGS2 wasn't even fucking exclusive to ps2. PS2 literally had nothing and it was the weakest console of its gen.
>>
>>343127907
PS2 had the most diversive library of its generation and debatably of all time.
>>
>>343127986
With inferior audio

http://retrogamesandhardware.com/playstation-1-as-audiophile-quality-cd-player/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmmQdWmhoMc
>>
File: ps2 shit library.png (3 MB, 4360x2872) Image search: [Google]
ps2 shit library.png
3 MB, 4360x2872
>>343128117
That doesn't matter if you have no exclusives and barely any of those are worth playing
>>
>>343128198
Who cares, it could still play PS1 games.
>>
>>343127986

This. PS2 was the first console to let you keep your old games/controllers/peripherals while ditching the old box, and that was a boon for pretty much everyone who owned a PS1.

>>343128198

>implying the average sonyfag actually cared about audio quality

considering most people were using CRT TV speakers, that's barely even a sticking point.
>>
>>343128376
>PS2 was the first console to let you keep your old games/controllers/peripherals while ditching the old box
Genesis and Atari already did that, dipshit underageb&
>>
>>343128303
Whatever you say meme master.
I own all three so atleast I have first hand knowledge and didn't just get off metacritic.

>>343128376
The first was the Atari 7800.
>>
>>343128303

>talks shit about creativity
>list has Mr. Mosquito, God Hand, Rule of Rose, Stuntman and Bouncer

5/10 I bothered reading it
>>
>>343127438
/thread
>>
>>343127232
PS2 is a console for niggers don't reply to me.
>>
>>343127232
The PlayStation 2 has backwards compatibility. Therefore, there is literally nothing that the PS1 does that the PS2 can't do which makes the latter better in every possible way.
>>
>>343128741
>>343128686
All of those games are shit. They're the equivalent of indie shovelware. Having a bulk of them does not constitute "GREATEST CONSULE EVARRR XDDD"

Neither does having the inferior versions of every best game of that gen such as the GTA games, silent hill, mgs 2, etc.

I'm hardpressed to find a game that could be considered "greatest of all time" that was actually exclusive to ps2. I can only think of Gran Turismo 3 off the top of my head.

Other than that, the ps1 whoops the shit out of the ps2's library. So does the NES, Genesis, and Dreamcast.
>>
>>343128959
already answered. superior audio >>343128198
also more accurate color reproduction
>>
>>343127907
>To be the greatest GAME console ever made, you have to have a diverse portfolio of the greatest games ever made EXCLUSIVELY for your platform
No.
While i can see your reasoning and i almost entirely agree with it, reality is much different.
To be great, a console doesn't necessarily require exclusives(although they help a lot), rather it requires to be popular, to give diverse options, to give various forms of entertaining, and to have a wide range of 3rd party support, even if said 3rd party companies also release the same games on other consoles.
The PS2 was an extremely cheap DVD player, and also a PS1...
Your old PS1 doesnt work very well anymore(yes, some kids are assholes with their consoles) and want a replacement, or simply you dont want to keep both your old and new console connected(or you cant, some smaller TVs at the time only had one SCART/RGB input)?
You also want to play new and upcoming games?
You also want to watch movies on the newest media format, but dont want to spend extra money?
PS2 was the answer for ALL that.
All the other consoles weren't.

Plus, all the accessories for the PS1 worked on the PS2, so you already had at least a second controller(most MP games didnt require the pressure sensitive feature), plus whatever other accessory you had.
All this made it so a lot of people wanted a PS2 rather than the other options, it gave you more than its competitors.
And once more people had it, more developers made games for it.
Who cares if a game was also on NCG or XBOX, chances are most people had the PS2 version.
If you had a PS2 game and wanted to play it over at a friend's house, you could, because chances were he had a PS2 too, instead of a different console.
>>
>>343129147
>backwards compatability
>media player

then by your logic, the ps3 is the best console ever.

>inb4 nah uh 600 DOLLARS XD
you can get a ps3 fat for 90 dollars now
>>
File: Playstation 2 Disc error.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Playstation 2 Disc error.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>PS1 fat still works to this day

>PS2 fat and slim shit themselves in less than a year

Explain this
>>
>>343129369

>the ps3 is the best console ever

>PS3
>backward compatible after 2009

you tried. inb4 muh CFW, PS2 never had backwards compatability removed from it.
>>
The NES was still technologically limited. If you said SNES you'd be correct.
>>
anon literally no one says that the ps2 is the best anything except people who grew up at that exact time

there are two High Lords of the Shovelware Pile, and thats the GBA and the PS2

which of these two you crown King depends on what kinds of low-quality rehashes you can tolerate
>>
>>343129147
>Who cares if a game was also on NCG or XBOX, chances are most people had the PS2 version.
So the xbox 360 is the best console ever, huh? The ps4 is the best console ever too because everyone has one and can multiplats with their friends on it? you're fucking retarded.

Also, the gamecube and xbox versions of games were BETTER. Not to mention the pc ports. Oh but that doesn't count because you didn't have a gaming pc in the early 2000's, underageb&?
>>
>>343129553
The SNES was technologically limited
>>
>>343129374
My PS1 fat and PS2 fat still work and I've owned them since release.
>>
>>343129553
>The NES was still technologically limited
It still had far better games than the SNES deserving of the titles "greatest of all time". And they were exclusive to the platform because of Nintendo corralling 3rd parties
>>
>>343129369
>you can get a ps3 fat for 90 dollars now
current price of an old console has literally no effect on its popularity and success at the time it was released and during its lifespan.

And no, PS3 didnt had backward compatibility in the way most people intend it.
Because it was removed from it, because not all models had it in the first place, because even if you could play older games on it, you couldnt use any of the old peripherals(especially a MMC) without having to buy converters and adaptors, hence spending even more money on it.

Backwards compatibility doesnt just mean it can play older gen games, it also means you can do it as you could the day before on the old gen console, plug and play.

And i'm leaving aside all the YLOD issues, and firmware updates, and connection issues
>>
>>343129901
You're still not answering what made PS2 greatest of all time. Xbox had the ps2's best games and they all ran better along with its exclusives and pc ports like doom 3, half life 2, unreal tournament, cthulhu, morrowind, etc.
>>
>>343129374
>i treat my console like shit, why it doesnt work after all this years, whaaa
PS1 still works.
PSOne still works.
PS2 fat still works, and i carred it around a lot...just recently, around 1.5 years ago, it started giving me disc read errors, all i had to do was opening it and give a 90° turn to a screw, works jjust fine now with no disc errors.
PSTwo still works.
>>
>>343127232
I dunno, OP, but I think either Xbox original or 360 are the best consoles of all time.
>>
>>343129009
You seem like a butthurt gamecube fan
>>
>>343130584
I haven't once mentioned the Gamecube. It was better than ps2 in different areas, but overall was nowhere near "BEST CONSULE EVARR XD" same with ps2. The original xbox and dreamcast fits that bill closer than either.
>>
>>343130169
>You're still not answering what made PS2 greatest of all time
I literally answered that question in my previous post, >>343129147

>Xbox had the ps2's best games and they all ran better along with its exclusives and pc ports like doom 3, half life 2, unreal tournament, cthulhu, morrowind, etc.
I'll say it again...PS2 was also a PS1(compatible with games AND accessories) and a DVD player, hence most people had a PS2.
When it comes to a product that is being sold in the entire world, popularity makes you the best.
A game that is both on PS2 and XBOX is better on XBOX?
XBOX has overall better exclusives and PC ports?
Who cares, when in most houses there is a PS2 and not an XBOX?

Mind, i'm not saying the PS2 was more powerful, better performing, or anything like that.
It wasnt, in terms of mere power it was almost the worst if not the worst.
The PS2 was a decent console, a decent PS1, a decent DVD player, and a superb players gathering attraction.
XBOX was a superb console, nothing else.
>>
>>343130169
It didn't have Okami, Devil May Cry, God of War, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shadow of the Colossus, God Hand, and FFX/X2.

All these games debuted on the PS2, and for the longest time were exclusive to the platform until the past, say, six years.

Arguably what made the PS2 great was the massive third party support until the release of the Xbox and the 360, even then the PS2 saw at least some multiplat releases; off the top of my head I can list off Silent Hill Origins, Shattered Memories, and Mercenaries 2.
>>
>>343130909
You didn't have. Only butthurt nintendofans try to rewrite history like you do while also bringing in the Xbox Hueg. You're like intersectional feminists.

Stay butthurt, friend
>>
>>343130926
Forgot to mention, like it or not, 6th gen was still(partially) the cute/toony character/mascot, and videogame consoles were still considered a kid thing...on which console were Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, and such games?
PS2.
Yet, it wasnt ONLY a console for kids, it also had more mature games such as Silent Hill, Resident Evil, God Of War, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Killzone(like it or not, it was a success by its time)

If it wasnt clear enough, PS2 was the best console not because it was the best in every field, but because it was a solution for a very wide of different demands.
Literally no other console was.
>>
>>343131313
Okami arguably and Shadow of the Colossus I'll give you, but the rest aren't the "GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME XDDDD"

That's only 2 games. If we're only going by 2 games, the Xbox original had Halo, Halo 2, and Shenmue 2.
>>
>>343131887
>but the rest aren't the "GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME XDDDD"
He didn't say they were.
But they were the games that people wanted to play.
>>
>>343131754
>Silent Hill, Resident Evil
not exclusive
>Metal Gear Solid 2
not exclusive

see >>343128078

Also, Resident Evil 4 was a Gamecube exclusive for a year.
>>
>>343132042
>He didn't say they were
Then he has no business implying the PS2 was the greatest console ever made.
>>
>>343131550
whats wrong with you
>>
>>343132225
It was, deal with it
>>
>>343131313
>Devil May Cry, God Hand, and FFX/X2.

shit taste desu
>>
>>343132096
Who said they were exclusives?
Exclusives was not my point, my poit was it had the most games people wanted to play.
It had exclusives? Yes.
It had the games kids wanted to play? Yes.
It had more mature games? Yes.
It had games that were also on other consoles? Yes

It offered EVERYTHING a wide range of people wanted.

>>343132225
Dude, you're asking why the PS2 wa sthe best console, and the answer is
Best Console =/= Best Games
Best Console = Best Overall Service In A Wide Range Of Demands

Fucking deal with it.
>>
ITT
>OP cant find an answer to his question
>Anons give valid answers
>OP doesnt want to accept the answers
>OP says everyone is wrong without saying why, they just are

OP, fuck off.
>>
>>343132225
>>343132042
>he
>>
the PS2 is the greatest console to ever exist
>>
>>343133018
Without specification, all anons are Anonymus, and Anonymous is male.
No one gives a fuck about what gender is the person who wrote a post if its gender has no relvance to the discussion.
>>
>>343133147
that's not the Teega Gemini
>>
>>343132336
Alright, let's bust out the list. Because I don't think you college kiddies understand how much of a fucking landmark the PS1 was.

All Final Fantasy's 1-9 minus 3
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Gran Turismo
Tombraider
Legacy of Kain
Tekken 2 and 3
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Dance Dance Revolution
Parappa the Rapper
Tomorrow Never Dies
Medal of Honor
MGS 1
KOF 95
Rival Schools
Xenogears
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Wipeout XL
Crash Bandicoot
Ridge Racer1-4
Incredible Crisis
Wild Arms
Symphony of the NIght
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX
The millions of Atari Midway Namco etc. ACCURATE arcade ports we never seen before

The list doesn't fucking end! The GREATEST games of all time. Most being entirely EXCLUSIVE or having the best versions

>inb4 ps2 backwards compatability
see >>343128198
You needed ORIGINAL ps1 model to experience the definitive versions of these games
>>
>>343133282
THATS NOT THE GAMESPHERE YOU FAGGOTS
>>
>>343127232
>does not realize Sony was in their lofty position BECAUSE OF GREAT 3RD PARTY SUPPORT
From day fucking 1.
>>
>>343133329
>need ORIGINAL PS1
Or I can just play them on my PS2
>>
>>343133329
but PS2 plays PS1 games natively so it doesn't matter
>>
Ps1 and 2 both were crazy with the amount of decent-to-amazing rpgs. Seriously, just look up a list of best ps2 rpgs and you will be blown away by the number of great releases
>>
>>343133695
he means games that were originally developed for the PS1. the PS2 didn't exist when the PS1 was around. rate them individually and leave backwards compatibility out of it
>>
>>343133618
Once again, you ignored the post >>343128198
the ps1 had AUDIOPHILE quality audio and had BETTER color reproduction. If we're going to talk about shitty backwards compatability, might as well add the ps3 or 360 in the mix.
>>
>>343133329
>You needed ORIGINAL ps1 model to experience the definitive versions of these games
Yeah, but people are not obsessed with sound quality to that extent when it comes to fucking play PS1 games.
KIDS wanted to play their PS1 and PS2 games.
Adults wanted to play those games.
They wanted to PLAY those games.
They could on a PS2.
No one, literally no one gave a flying fuck or even knew or could hear the audio quality was inferior.
>>
>>343131754
unless you're 12 years old, who cares if a game is cartoony if its good?

>>343131887
>halo

opinion discarded

>>343132096
exclusives are for faggots
>>
>>343133892
>the ps1 had AUDIOPHILE quality audio
The original model. The one that was prone to overheating and disk drive breaking super quickly.

I actually did my research.
>>
>>343133892
but ps1 doesn't have digital out
>>
>>343133930
>>343133695

It doesn't matter. It is INFERIOR. You can shittily play ps1 and ps2 games on ps3 as well. Does that make that the "BEST CONSULE EVARRR XDDD"?
>>
>>343127232
>PS1
>Greatest

IT's greatest games aren't even exclusives, It sold on a fucking racing game and Final fantasy 7. If not for those the Playstation would be nothing. People didnt care about Crash/Spyro until after it was already a success.
>>
>>343133978
I guess you missed the part where young kids wanted to play those games, since they wanted to play as those cartoony characters.
For said kids, a game was good cuz they could be that cartoony character.
>>
>>343134116
You use a lot of All Caps in your posts anon.

Is there anything you want to tell me about?
>>
>>343133892
But I can't play my Ps2 games on Xbox and backwards compatible PS3s are rare now.
>>
>>343134050
>>I actually did my research.
It's not that hard, I mean, he's throwing half truths on /v/'s face and, as usual, they eat it up. It's in the headlines.
>>
>>343134050
And the ps2 was the absolute WORST console when it came to breaking down and disc read errors. Look no further than here >>343129374
>>
>>343127232
>Seriously, what did the ps2 have EXCLUSIVELY to make it better than Genesis, ps1, dreamcast, colecovision, nes, snes, or HELL even original xbox?

Ratchet and Clank
Sly Cooper
God of War
Ace Fucking Combat
Katamari Damacy
MGS2 and 3
The best lineup of JRPGs known to man
>>
>>343134207
no
>>
>>343128303
exclusives dont make a console, overall library does
>>
>>343134256
But my slim is older than 6 years and it still works.
>>
>>343134129
>It sold on a fucking racing game
The greatest and most groundbreaking racing sim known to man, you underageb&. Gran Turismo 6 still sold millions even after 5 for a reason.
>>
>>343134256
Did not happen to me.
>>
>>343134281
>Ratchet and Clank
>Sly Cooper
>God of War
>Ace Fucking Combat
>Katamari Damacy
None of these are the greatest games of all time

MGS2 was not exclusive. It had pc and xbox ports.

>The best lineup of JRPGs known to man
And this is a horrendously laughable statement.
>>
>>343134256
Worse than RROD or PS3 fats? I doubt it.

In fact I've never had a problem with a console until fucking 7th gen.
>>
>>343134626
but MGS2 was best on ps2
>>
>>343134626
>None of these are the greatest games of all time
Yes they are :^)
>>
>>343134380
>>343134536
>but my machine works!

It doesn't matter. It's a well-documented issue with all ps2 models. It was the original RROD.
>>
>>343134626
PS2 MGS2 had the Skateboarding, therefore it is best version
>>
>>343134626
And what, pray-tell did PS1 have that was better then them?

If you say something like Any Final Fantasy Past 3, Resident Evil or Metal Gear Antiquated, i'll have to stop you just so I can catch my breath after laughing so hard.
>>
>>343134823
sorry you treat your hardware like shit
>>
>>343134823
>>343134913
I see way more working units than broken ones.
>>
>>343134626
They're good games though, what does it matter. They're certainly some of the most iconic and memorable games of all time
>>
>>343134823
>PROD
Are you in love with all caps? Will you marry Caps Lock?
>>
>>343127232
PS2 is to the PS1 as the SNES was to the NES.

SNES was the mastering of 2D games while the PS2 was the mastering of 3D.
>>
>>343133978

Not liking Halo is the true fedora-core
>>
>>343135167
You're talking about generations, and no, game-wise and library-wise nes blows out the snes by a country mile same with ps1 blowing out ps2. Except barely any of ps2's games were exclusive and had few you could call "BEST OF ALL TIME XDDD", so it's an even larger power gap.
>>
>>343129374
>>343134256
>>343134627
The whole disc read error thing is a common problem but it is usually due to dust being on the laser.
We thought ours was fucked, it would take you an hour of trying to get a game working until my brother brought home a dvd player cleaner disc.
It looks like a plain disc except it had some fluffy black stuff on it, you would a tiny bit of cleaning stiff on the black stuff, pop it in and let it run for a bit.
Poof no more problems.

I wish I still had that cleaner because I fucked up my wii trying to clean it.
>>
>>343134129
>people didnt care about it until it was already a success.
>>
Because PS2 was babbys first console for most millenials.
>>
>>343135551
Kill yourself.
>>
>>343135551
stop being such an insufferable nostalgia faggot. I grew up with PS1 in 1997 and I can easily admit PS2 trumped it in every aspect. The mass majority of the internet has always agreed upon this. There is far more out there for the PS2 then there is for the PS1

Thats like saying N64 is the greatest nintendo console of all time just because it has Starfox 64 and Ocarina of time. Two games does not equal a console's over all worth.
>>
>>343134129
>IT's greatest games aren't even exclusives
pretty much all of these >>343133329 are exclusives and still never got ports anywhere. ps2 had a million pc, xbox, and gamecube ports
>>
>>343135551
the NES has a library of 90% garbage you autist
>>
>>343135551
I'm on your side, but as far as general consensus goes, a lot of people would consider SNES games dated pieces of shit not worthy of being in steam sales by today's fucked standards
>>
>>343133329
>Wow 8 over rated garbage RPGs and 1 good port? Color me impressed!
>Not exclusive. Belongs to SNES
>Literally ruined the series.
>A decent racing game but nothing compared to NFS
>Started on PC
>Soul reaver is better
>Tekken is horrible and didnt get remotely enjoyable till 5
>A shitty Arcade port
>WOW, I CAN LOOK LIKE A RETARD AT HOME INSTEAD OF AT THE CLUB WITH MY FRIENDS?!
>Rap isn't music. it's noise and a nuisance
>Worst 007 game to ever come out
>Bland FPS
>memes and far worse then its later installments
>Dreamcast installments trumped it
>Worst Square RPg in existence
>Sports
>more sports
>N**ger go outside
>Sly Jak and ratchet beat it by miles.
>Boring
>Another shitty JRPG
>THE ONLY GOOD GAME ON YOUR LIST, BRAVO, YOU GET A +1
>Another shitty RPG
>Worst FF game
>Go outside
>Ports are considered a good thing

Yeah no.
>>
>>343136660
why do you consider chrono trigger to be a SNES exclusive despite being on ps1 but not the other way around
>>
The SNES shits all over the NES. Are we really having this debate? Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Mario RPG, Shadowrun, motherfucking Chrono Trigger, it's not even a contest.
>>
>>343136847
Because its not exclusive. it's
A. Part of an Anthology
B. A port of a game that made its debut on a system 3-4 years prior.

Time does not go backwards.
>>
>kids born in 1995 arguing with manchildren born in 1985

good thread
>>
>>343136885
but chrono trigger isn't exclusive to snes and is better on ps1 and/or ds
>>
>>343136847
The PS1 version is literally the SNES rom put in an emulator. That's why it runs like pure garbage.
>>
>>343137139
>better on ps1
That's factually incorrect
>>
>>343137274
The FMVs make up for all the load times problems that autists on this board and /vr/ have.
>>
>>343137139
>A nintendo ROM emulated through a Sony third party CD is the superior version

Do you even listen to yourself?
>>
>>343136660
>I don't like it so it doesn't count: the post
>>
>>343127232
The PS2 is better than the PS1 because it does everything the PS1 can do plus DVD and PS2 games, how is this an argument?
>>
File: ps2-lineup-2001.jpg (124 KB, 1024x901) Image search: [Google]
ps2-lineup-2001.jpg
124 KB, 1024x901
I guess the reason the PS2 wins these discussions is because pic related.
it might have had a shit launch lineup, but the first year lineup was retardedly good

I still find myself playing more PS1 games than PS2 games. God, I love that machine.

>>343134256
admittedly, the PS2 was really fucking awful with reliability, I don't know anyone who's still on their first PS2 at this point

>>343137153
it's actually a legitimate code port (PS1's not fast enough for SNES emulation of any kind)
but it's still really badly done
>>
>could play PS1 games
>could play DVDs
Because of those two alone, it sold like fucking crazy
It gained a huge playerbase, which led to massive developer support
The PS2 had great games for every single genre and set the bar for the quality of 3D games for almost two decades
For example, GTA 3 was a massive technical milestone in gaming that simply wasnt possible on the hardware before the PS2
>>
>>343132978
Did you really expect anything different? From this site? From this board?
>>
>>343137373
But it is.
the DS version would be the best but fuck, compressed audio and fmv ruins it
>>
>>343137348
If you played the original, the load times for battles are unacceptable, I can deal with switching between the screens. But fuck no, it's not worth it just to see shitty low res animations you can watch on the internet.
>>
File: 1428562798182.jpg (45 KB, 450x331) Image search: [Google]
1428562798182.jpg
45 KB, 450x331
>>343127232
>Backwards compatibility
>>
>>343137685
Then play it on emulator or through PSN if it bothers you so much you fuck. No one gave a shit then and no one gives a shit now.
>>
File: 1467012062350.jpg (90 KB, 1298x893) Image search: [Google]
1467012062350.jpg
90 KB, 1298x893
>>343129374
Take care of your shit, senpai
>>
>>343137745
OPs a retard who cant even phrase his question right.

I would assume he means "The PS2 Library" not the "PS2 console"
>>
The best Final fantasy IV V and VI will always be GBA.

Anyone who disagrees is factually wrong and will be ignored.
>>
>>343138010
IV is actually best played on PSP lol
>>
>>343137791
I did, I have it on Vita. It takes almost 7 seconds to load a new screen and start a battle. It's a fucked port you shit eater.
>>
>>343138061
>implying anyone owns THAT abortion of a handheld anymore
>>
Because it had a good selection of games, backwards compatability also fuctioned as a dvd player and brought gaming one step futher to mainsteam media with titles like Grand Theft Auto.

I don't agree with the mainsteam media part as in it being a good thing but its probably one of the reasons many other normies and other people in general outside of 4chan praise it.
>>
>>343137348
>Sacrificing gameplay for cinematics
wow so the sonygger mindset existed even during the ps1 era
>>
>>343138146
If you don't, then kill yourself.
>>
Most people had a PS2, hell I love it because it had Yakuza 1 and 2 and god hand and metal gear.

Also could play most ps1 games.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (11 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
11 KB, 275x183
>>343138010
>The best Final fantasy VI is GBA

Not when the Steam version exists, it's always better on PC :)
>>
Monster Hunter
>>
>>343136660
>>Worst Square RPg in existence
>>Sports
I'm pretty sure Xenogears isn't a sports game, and Rival Schools' RPG-like mode was nip-only.
>>
>>343138593
>Implying Monsterhunter was even playable back then

Putting it on 3DS with online was the smartest thing they ever did.
>>
>>343138728
Putting it on 3DS with those ergonomics was the dumbest thing they ever did.
>>
I'd say the PS2 is best because of the library

SNES was best graphics & gameplay
>>
>>343138728
This series needs to be on a HD console, its entire concept is gimped otherwise. wii was a step in the right direction
>>
>>343127232
When you look back at games before the PS2 and try determine how good a game was, you have to consider its age. For the PS2, you don't have to do that.
>>
>>343130173
>>343137854

>BUT IT'S YOUR FAULT NOT SONY'S!

>SONY CAN DO NO WRONG

Kill yourselves
>>
>>343138146
PSP was fucking great, what are you going on about?
well, other than it having appalling build quality
>>
All these bullshitters saying PS1s and PS2s weren't NOTORIOUSLY likely to die eventually because of shit build quality

wew

Actually everything in this thread screams "I'm underage please listen to my amazing hot opinions of what it was like before I was playing video james"
>>
>>343138806
>I'd say the PS2 is best because of the library
library of what???

What did it possibly have exclusively that can be considered "GREATEST OF ALL TIME"??

LIke I've said several times in this thread, only Okami, Gran Turismo 3, and Team Ico games could fit that bill. Everything else was either multiplat on xbox, pc, or gamecube or an 8 and below.
>>
>>343128686
>The first was the Atari 7800.
The Sega Mark III had backwards compatibility with the SG-1000 too.
>>
Oldfag here. As someone who owned both the PS1 and the PS2, I have to say, I enjoyed the PS2 more. My best memories of the PS1 mainly come from the demo disk and game magazines. While the PS2 made me into a full time gamer.

tfw OG Xbox was the shit
>>
File: 1467003981287.jpg (343 KB, 956x873) Image search: [Google]
1467003981287.jpg
343 KB, 956x873
>>343138967
Everyone I know with a PS2 still has it working, including myself. Many in the thread say theirs are fine.
>No, it's them, not me!
>>
>>343139183
You only notice it because there are only so many PS2 that were sold
>>
File: 1159746794220.jpg (11 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
1159746794220.jpg
11 KB, 380x285
>>343127232
>Seriously, what did the ps2 have EXCLUSIVELY to make it better than Genesis, ps1, dreamcast, colecovision, nes, snes, or HELL even original xbox?

The best game library of any console ever.

If you don't see that for the simple fact that it is, that's really your problem.
>>
>>343139208
This argument is fucking dumb because you're basing it on shitty review scores. IGN gave godhand a fucking terrible score and the game is pretty well loved you fucking nostalgia fag
>>
>>343139670
>My best memories of the PS1 mainly come from the demo disk and game magazines

Same here, PS1 was much more of a gimmick machine. "Look at the fancy new tech we have now! We can run an incredibly shitty fighting game in blocky, badly textured 3D very slowly! With terrible controls because thumbsticks haven't been invented yet!"

Most PS1 games were absolute trash that was Atari 2600 level in visual appeal and fun-to-play factor. PS2 had actual good games in large quantities.
>>
>>343127232
Because it is, pretty much. The depth of good games on PS2 is fucking astonishing. I've had one for 14 years and I'm still finding out about some really good stuff and I'm not even importing.

Though I always tell people if you're gonna get one 6th Gen get the Xbox. Best versions of multiplats every time, easy as hell to softmod and throw in a new HDD and not have to worry nearly as much about old parts breaking.
>>
File: 07-minister.jpg (10 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
07-minister.jpg
10 KB, 300x225
>>343139676

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-settles-ps2-class-action-suit/1100-6139482/

>It never happened to anyone!

>If it did it was their fault!
>>
File: colecovision1c.jpg (110 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
colecovision1c.jpg
110 KB, 800x522
Here's a comparison of game consoles that could be considered best of all time in comparison to the ps2.

Colecovision:

ports upon ports of the best arcade games of all time with closest quality homes had ever seen yet such as Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Pepper II, Gorf, Mr. Do, Dig Dug, Venture, Antarctic Adventure, Galaxian, Frogger, Space Panic, Congo Bongo, etc.

NES:
groundbreaking revisions and refinements in game design with more ambitious steps into video-adventure and even more accurate arcade-home conversion

Legend of Zelda, Kirby'sAdventure, Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Battletoads, Blaster Master, Tecmo Bowl, Maniac Mansion, Dragon Quest, Vice Project Doom, etc.

Dreamcast:

Robust online integration never seen before along with breakthrough leaps in graphical prowess, arcade-quality, multiplayer, fun, and unparalleled creativity

Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue, Virtua Fighter 2, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil 2 and 3, Power Stone, Street Fighter 3, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Seaman, Crazy Taxi, SoulCalibur, NBA 2K2, NFL 2K2, Virtua Tennis, House of the Dead 2, Samba de Amigo, Space Channel 5, Quake 3 Arena, Sonic Adventure, Hydro Thunder, Dead or Alive, Garou Mark of the Wolves, Super Magnetic Neo, MDK2, Dynamite Cop
>>
>>343139208
Library of games you silly person.

Like it or not the PS2 was basically the Steam of 6th gen: lots of games released on it with varying levels of quality, from classic gems to absolute garbage.
>>
>>343139183

Literally brainwashed. Neogaf has taught them well.
>>
File: 1436134323484.gif (7 KB, 118x98) Image search: [Google]
1436134323484.gif
7 KB, 118x98
INTERUPTING THIS SHITTY BAIT THREADFOR BREAKING NEWS

Rhythm heaven Megamix does NOT get a physical copy

My life is ruined.
>>
File: wub.png (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
wub.png
1 B, 486x500
>>343141049

You can blame pirate fags / the people who didn't buy the last game for that.
>>
>>343140649
>Library of games you silly person.
But barely any of its library was exclusive.

The best games of that gen:

Resident Evil 4
Gamecube exclusive for a year
GTA
available on xbox original
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
not exclusive
MGS2
xbox orginal port and pc port
Madden NFL 2005
not exclusive
Burnout 3 Takedown
not exclusive
SSX
not exclusive
Soul Calibur 2
not exclusive
Dead or Alive 2
not exclusive
NBA Street Vol 2
not exclusive
Viewtiful Joe
not exclusive
Timesplitters 2
not exlusive
Killer 7
not exclusive
>>
File: woahyougobigguy.png (36 KB, 326x136) Image search: [Google]
woahyougobigguy.png
36 KB, 326x136
>>343141176

Damn it moot. What have you done with my pic? I wasn't going for dubs only wubbadubba.
>>
>>343127232
I personally liked the PS1, I had more find memories. I played FF7, FF8, FF9, Tekken Tag, Chrono Cross, and maybe some others. When I was in the hospital for two weeks, they had a Playstation.

The PS2 was here and I only game'd Vice City and FFX. I loved FFX, but after the first year I never really got near it again.

The PS1 was used for 4 years, and it was translucent blue. Chip modded as well.
>>
>>343141279
Jesus all that butt hurt
>>
>>343141279
Yuo have really shitty taste to consider any of those better then Sly/ratch/dax
>>
The Playstation 2's panoply of role-playing games was simply unmatched during the 6th gen:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-II
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Persona 3
Persona 4
Dragon Quest VIII
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Rogue Galaxy
Monster Hunter
Star Ocean
Tales of the Abyss
Odin Sphere
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
etc.
>>
File: eunSCfC1qc3vhao1_400.gif (393 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
eunSCfC1qc3vhao1_400.gif
393 KB, 300x225
>>343142026

He's not wrong though
>>
>>343142135
no faggot those aren't even close to the best game but nice try friendo
>>
>>343127232
why do people say the ps2, ps1 or nes are the best consoles ever when the 360 exists?
>>
>>343142101
Mana khemia
Ar tonelico
Ar Tonelico 2
Okage: Shadow king
Atelier and all its iterations
Tales of Legendia
Tales of Rebirth
Tales of Destiny DC
Tales of Destiny 2
Tales of Symphonia C

And much much more.
>>
>>343141279
You're missing the point, funny man.

PS2 had a lot of games released on it.
Developers made/ported a lot of games for the PS2, exclusively or otherwise.
Therefore PS2 had many games.

I don't get why you're so hung up on exclusives.
>>
>>343142321
It kept breaking down more than the PS2 and it was really only fixed when the Xbone was coming out
>>
File: exile-genesis.jpg (183 KB, 640x852) Image search: [Google]
exile-genesis.jpg
183 KB, 640x852
>>343142101
None of these can come anywhere close to being considered "GREATEST OF ALL TIME XDDD"

Only Dragon Quest VIII comes close but doesn't touch the likes of Exile, Lufia 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Beyond Oasis
>>
>>343141279
are you implying that MGS2 was ported from Xbox to PS2
>>
>>343142382
PS3 and xbox 360 have bigger libraries and arguably better games closer to being "greatest of all time" like Mass Effect, Uncharted 2, Gears of War 2, Skyrim, Fable 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, etc.

What's your point?
>>
>>343142617
>Turn based Medievil Fantasy tactics shit

Barf. Call back when you get some taste.
>>
>>343142562

>tfw you have to buy a next gen system to play previous gen game disc because the system keeps getting killed on it's own

>you can't play it on the next next gen one because they are extra jewish and want you to pay $15 to buy games you already owned even though it has more than enough power to do it

it's not fair
>>
File: old.jpg (35 KB, 400x294) Image search: [Google]
old.jpg
35 KB, 400x294
>exclusives are the only reason a console can be good
Delusional consolefags everyone
>>
>>343142949
My point silly boy is that you're drastically underestimating the PS2 library by cutting it down to exclusives, then cutting it even further by high review scores and personal taste.
>>
>>343143297
No one invited you, mustard
>>
>>343140598
man, the Colecovision was fucking magic
you had the 2600, the Intellivision, a few literally who's

and then this motherfucker comes up and has graphics that actually look like... well, graphics
Atari had its huge-ass color palette because every fucking game on the machine uses crazy scanline tricks just to draw a picture, but it also means that nearly everything drawn is pretty crude
Intellivision has a low-ass resolution and a 16 ugly colors
and then the Colecovision had like double the resolution and double the sprites of the Intellivision, like 3x the speed, games looked nicer than on the 5200 (despite the 5200's specs)

Coleco really didn't deserve to die like they did, not with a machine like that on the market.
>>
File: 1273758863650.png (28 KB, 197x204) Image search: [Google]
1273758863650.png
28 KB, 197x204
Summer /v/ in full effect. Get a job you fucking toddlers.
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.