[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>that moment you realize Dark Souls/Bloodborne is Zelda for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: maxresdefault.jpg (384 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
384 KB, 1920x1080
>that moment you realize Dark Souls/Bloodborne is Zelda for grown ups
>>
>>343109563

They're nothing alike outside of Z-Targeting. Souls games don't have puzzles.

In saying that, Majoras Mask/OoT are the only good 3D zeldas, the rest are literal dogshit intended for children
>>
What the fuck makes it like Zelda? There's no items or puzzles, it's more like a third person Diablo than Zelda.
>>
File: Demon's_Souls_Cover (1).jpg (104 KB, 256x295) Image search: [Google]
Demon's_Souls_Cover (1).jpg
104 KB, 256x295
>>343109563
Demon's Souls certainly was similar to Zelda, but Dark Souls was much closer to being a 3D "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night", if anything.
>>
Souls games are more like 3D metroidvanias.
>>
>>343109834

>Dark Souls

I would say Bloodborne purely due to the themes/setting.

Souls games remind me of Shadow of Colossus in their minimalistic design and focus on gameplay.
>>
>>343109834
>Demon's Souls certainly was similar to Zelda

>World 4 had a magic weapon so you could breeze through world 2
>World 2 had a fire weapon so you could breeze through worlds 3 and 5.

Man that was a good fucking game. I should replay it sometime.
>>
>>343109976
Dark Souls plays like an IGAvania though.
>Sprawling open environment with some room for
>RPG elements mixed with standard action game combat.
>Mixes of mythology from different cultures to become the rouge's gallery
I could go on.
>>343110391
>Go to world 5, get blessed mace
>Go to world 4-1 afterward, get adjudicator shield.
Now you have a Wolverine-healing build. Fuck, DeS is good.
>>
Exceptt Zelda is fun and doesn't rely on artificial difficulty.
>>
>>343109563
Souls is a lot like Zelda 2, but it lacks the exploration and mystery of the original game. And it's not even remotely like the modern puzzlan wagglan roller coaster Zeldas.
>>
>>343110719

>Zelda
>fun

Maybe if you're 3 years old
>>
>>343109675
BotW WILL take OoT's crown.

Mark my words.
>>
File: baitslayer.jpg (209 KB, 756x1100) Image search: [Google]
baitslayer.jpg
209 KB, 756x1100
>>343110719
>>
Dark Souls isn't even remotely similar to Zelda. The few similarities that do exist are superficial.
>>
>>343109563
Zelda:
>Expolore an (ostensibly) open world
>Discover dungeon
>Traverse dungeon to boss
>Fight boss
>collect one in a set of MacGuffins
>Proceed to next area

Souls/Borne
>Expolore an (ostensibly) open world
>Discover dungeon
>Traverse dungeon to boss
>Fight boss
>collect one in a set of MacGuffins
>Proceed to next area

The two games are way, WAY more alike than they are different, especially in basic design philosophy. Souls very obviously used Zelda as basic inspiration.

The only real difference is how the two games mitigate progression, with Zelda gating the way forward behind items, and SoulsBorne putting it behind character levels/weapon strength.

Hell, I'll even go as far as to say, while there are differences, SoulsBorne games have felt more to me like Zelda, with their attitudes towards exploration and problem solving than any actual Zelda in the last 15 years or so.
>>
>>343111450

Just like Wind Waker
Just like Twilight Princess
Just like Skyward Sword
Just like .....
>>
>>343110738
> it lacks the exploration and mystery
???????????
>>
>>343109563
That should say

MONSTER HUNTER
Dark souls for
>GROWN UPS?!
>>
>>343111640
I loved Wind Waker...
>>
Except it plays nothing like Zelda you fucking faggot.
>>
>>343111867
Is monster hunter just Pokemon for "adults"?
>>
>>343111640
Those games never really changed the rules of the OoT-style "goto dungeon, use specific tools to solve dungeon puzzles, fight boss usually using said tool, repeat".

BotW's set up with the World being the story and rather than being forced into a linear story path, it's been said in many interviews that the dev team has managed to meld the gameplay into story transition very smoothly so you're free to proceed the story in however way you want.

The later shrines they showed on treehouse live showed how you can come up with multiple solutions in your tool arsenal to solve the puzzles as opposed to requiring that one specific tool.

The pure open-mindedness and creativity that the new physics engine and tools allows while still keeping true to Zelda's design will definitely change the stakes, raising it far and above OoT.
>>
video games aren't for grown ups. grow up children
>>
>>343111543
Lmao this is how you know you're triggered
>>
File: Artifact Temple..jpg (245 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Artifact Temple..jpg
245 KB, 1920x1080
If anything the souls games have more in common with Metroid than Zelda.
>>
The Souls games definitely took influence from Zelda and Castlevania. But they have clearly gone their own way.
>>
>>343112051

>it's open world with numerous strategies/gimmicks therefore it will be good

Too think, I thought /v/ would have learned from MGSV.
>>
dark souls is more like a 3rd person action game of Stalker: shadow of chernobyl
>>
>>343112732
The gimmicks still work with the Zelda format though, unlike MGSV, where they were just thrown to see how much they could do with the engine.

Then again, I should digress as both games took exorbitantly long dev time in order to get released (speaking in future tense for Zelda).
>>
>>343110391
I need to continue my run got the Dragon bone smashed and I stopped playing
>>
>>343111640
Majora's Mask > Wind Waker > Ocarina of Time
>>
Souls are 3D Metroidvania .

If you can't clearly see that, you're a pleb who knows shit all about videogames.
>>
>>343109563
>for GROWN UPS!?
Just like cawadooty right? When will this shit end?
I absolutely love the Souls games but don't pretend like kids don't play them. Kids plays fucking everything. Especially interactively stimulating and comes across as "mature".
Unlike teens who only play "mature games for mature people such as myself", kids will gladly play "mature" games, while also playing other games. The range of which kids plays is simply wider.

Though it's true that moviegames isn't that big with kids. But the Souls games aren't movie games so of course kids plays them.
And don't act like the Souls games are somehow too hard for kids. Kids are amazing at learning and adapting to things. Most of them probably have plenty of strengths that has already been dulled because of age as far as you're concerned.
>>
>>343113290

>where they were just thrown to see how much they could do with the engine.

I don't even know what you're saying. The gimmicks work in the MGSV format as well, the box slide, the C4 on soldiers etc. What are you talking about exactly?
>>
>>343109563
>Mature gamer for mature gamers such as myself
am I right?
>>
>>343112732
There's absolutely nothing wrong with MGSV on the gameplay front what the fuck is wrong with you?

MGSV is poor because it's only 33% finished.
>>
>>343109563
Why is Link wearing a diaper lol do you think there are other pictures of him in diapers that would be really funny lol
>>
>>343109563
But I'm 26 and I enjoy both of them equally.

Though I will admit that Zelda has fallen from grace within the last 10 years thanks to neo-Nintendo and their retarded business practices and increasingly kid-friendly decision-making.
>>
>>343116647
Early Nintendo was kid friendly too, and the first two Zeldas did not hold your fucking hand like say Skyward Shit does.

I think it's more about today's kids being retarded and expecting everything to be handed to them.
>>
>>343116964
But kids don't even like the WiiU. Kids like being treated like adults, and adults like acting like kids. That's why "dark" zelda games were so much more popular
>>
>>343109563
>Actually using the term "grown ups"
Oh my fucking christ.

Also no since there's no element of real puzzle solving in Dark Souls and combat is a lot slower.
It has more different playstyles than Zelda but Zelda has items that change gameplay too.

They do both have Z-Targeting but we know who came up with that first.
>>
>>343109745
>There's no items
>>
>>343114210
maybe dark souls 1, everything after become linear as fuck
>>
>>343118250
Just like Metroid after Super Metroid then.
>>
>>343109563
>Toon Link in diapers
Someone somewhere is furiously masturbating to this.
>>
>>343109563
>Toon Link wearing a diaper, sucking a pacifier, and holding a rattle instead of a sword

This is the most accurate image in the universe.
>>
>>343118946
Found him
>>343119092
>>
>>343119198
I can't masturbate to the ruination of Zelda.
>>
>>343109563
Of course it is. It's just zelda 1s game design with a modern mechanics system and graphics.
>>
>>343109745
>third person Diablo
That's a much better description in my opinion.
>>
What does grown up mean? Gore and sex?
>>
>>343119697
Describing a game as "Grown up" means that you're insecure about the games you're paying and need to feel like a big man.
>>
>>343119697
"offers players more challenge than Elmo's Letter Adventure"

So the opposite of Zelda.
>>
>>343111627
I always thought of Zelda to be mainly focused on the puzzle aspect really. I mean you have some great examples from it that require a lot of puzzle solving like in the Forest Temple, Spirit Temple (OoT); Stone Tower Temple (MM), Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak Ruins, Temple of Time (TP).

How well do the Souls series go into puzzle solving?
>>
>>343120184
Zelda 2 is a pretty hard game. Does that make it grown up? If all it takes is challenge to be a mature game then I suppose donkey kong is the most mature platformer.
>>
>>343109675
Oot is horribly average. MM is the only good 3D Zelda. The rest are me, and SS is dogshit.

Go back and replay Oot and find out for yourself. People only praise it for story/lore reasons, since it's the one that split the timeline. But gameplay-wise, it's got all the same flaws TP and WW do. In fact, I'd say that if TP was harder, it'd be better than OoT.

>>343111450
Probably, the bar isn't set very high. We'll see though.

>>343111640
People were calling WW and SS on being bad from day 1. WW cause of the art style, which scared people it'd have a change in focus to a more causal audience (which it did), and SS cause people were already put off by motion controls and were afraid tge gimmick would detract from the core elements like most Wii games (which it did).

Only TP wound up being disappointing, but in retrospect, TP is better than Oot.

It goes
MM
TP
OoT
WW
SS
>>
>I DONT PLAY GAMES THAT ARE RATED E OR E+10 BECAUSE IM MATURE

Fuck off edgy underage
>>
>What is Okami?
>>
videogames are for children

r rated videogames are for manchildren

its that easy
>>
>>343122246
style over substance
>>
>>343109745
This is seriously the best thing to compare it to.
>>
if you still play nintendo games. please reconsider your life choices
>>
>>343109563
How butthurt does someone have to be to make this image?
>>
>>343121535
Your opinions suck. I didn't care for SS either, but windwaker deserves far better. And ranking them in that way doesn't really make sense. People praise ocarina for the wrong reasons. It doesn't stand up as the most impressive game now, but at the time it defined a genre. It definitely deserves recognition for that, though it's definitely not the best in the series.

Majora, windwaker, and TP all built well off that formula, and played with some other ideas.
>>
File: 562.jpg (109 KB, 480x330) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
109 KB, 480x330
>>343119852
>big man
>not BIG GUY
You fucked up, anon
>>
>>343109563
I know, I'm falling for poor bait, but if "for grown ups" means "shitty tedious game about boredom" I'd rather play the version intended for children, at least I can have fun and have a nice experience.
>>
>>343123261
>you fucked up
For you
>>
How are dark souls and zelda similar aside from the combat?
>>
File: 1413216918045.jpg (16 KB, 407x329) Image search: [Google]
1413216918045.jpg
16 KB, 407x329
>>343109563
>when the thumbnail appeals to your fetish
>>
>>343124186
Level design and exploration?

I personally think it's very stupid to argue that they are somehow the same type of game because they most certainly aren't.
But at the same time I also think it's very stupid to ignore the many, many strong similarities that they still share.
>>
>>343112732
It is possible to be done well. One failure does not suddenly doom all others of its kind.
>>
>for grown ups
>anyone that grew up with Zelda is probably older than the average DS player

???
>>
File: DKZ.webm (2 MB, 1280x644) Image search: [Google]
DKZ.webm
2 MB, 1280x644
Dark souls is an evolution of the original Zelda,

It's literally the result if Nintendo stayed with the combat and atmosphere of Majoras mask and went down that road instead of the cartoony Wind Waker.

Modern Zelda is nothing like Dark souls.

Dark souls is very much like the old Zeldas , fixes and refines alot of the problems zelda had and it's no wonder many people love Dark souls and claim it's better than Ocarina of time
>>
>>343125567
/thread
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.