[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ocarina of Time, or Twilight Princess? Which holds up best today
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Ocarina of Time, or Twilight Princess?

Which holds up best today and should be my first zelda game?
>>
ocarina of time is about a ten times better. TP is literally a bad game while OOT is one of the best of all time.
>>
OoT is the best 3D Zelda and easily better than TP. It's not that TP is bad, it's just that most games lose when they go up against OoT. It's the most highly rated game of all time for a reason.
>>
twilight princess is about a ten times better. OOT is literally a bad game while TP is one of the best of all time.
>>
>>343078475
Your first Zelda game should be a 2D Zelda, not a 3D. I would say LttP.

You should play OoT first, though, for many reasons.
>>
>>343078475
Twilight Princess tried to recreate what made OoT so good and it failed to do so. Play the games in this order.

OoT, TwiPri, SS, MM, WW, aLttP, DS era, GB era, NES era.
>>
ok, thanks everyone.

I'll be going then.

you can turn this thread into midna spam now,
>>
>>343079201
MM should be right after OoT since it's a chronological sequel.
>>
>>343079382
true, although I suggested TP and SS before because they're less confusing and are easier games to get into for someone new to the series.
>>
Ocarina of Time is far more straightforward and (frankly) exciting than TP. I enjoyed TP (37 hour playthrough), but it suffered from the post-N64 curse of the Zeldas in having extreme bloat, padding, and hand-holding. The tutorial is sooo off-putting.*

Ocarina clearly is an older game and doesn't look very pretty now, but if you are curious about older games looks shouldn't really be that big of an inhibitor. It still has a very fun set of dungeons, a big world to explore, and a very good sense of pacing.

*On that note i practically gave up on Skyward Sword after its grinding and agonizing "tutorial" - an hour+ of bullshit. I finally DID give up on the game when I realized how bad the controls were going to be.
>>
>>343078475
Oot is the better game if you can get over the graphics.

Most gameplay improvements in twilight princess are kind of insustantial, such as the sword techniques. They are cool, but don't really add any complexity to the very straight forward combat system. And the wolf transformation is way less developed than any of the forms in majora's mask.

Not even mentioning how awful the pacing is while Oot is the best paced 3D Zelda game.

Oot also has magic items, time travel mechanics, better music, better USE of music, etc.

TP is still a very good game in its own right, but it didn't copy Oot well enough.
>>
>>343078475
If you know what you're doing and you understand the mechanics, then OOT is practically a 3D LttP
>>
>>343078475
TP has 2 hours of shit to slog through before the first dungeon EVEN IF you know exactly what your doing and skip all cutscenes. I timed it for that very purpose.
The best thing about Twilight Princess is the dungeons and everything between them sucks so fucking bad.

OoT kept it's time padding short and concise.
>>
>>343081691
Minus four whole dungeons.
>>
neither, take Link to the Past or Link Between Worlds if you want 2D, or Majora's Mask or Wind Waker if you want 3D
>>
OoT is the best game ever.

Twilight Princess is the best game of 7th gen, but that's not good enough to go mano-a-mano with OoT.

OoT perfects everything, while TP only took the combat and refined it.
>>
>>343082087
Yeah, that 15 minute Deku Tree backstory cutscene sure wasn't slog.
>>
>>343078475
I didnt like twilight princess so im going with OOT
>>
>>343083440
>OMG 15 MINUTES DUDE

You now remember the intro cutscenes, getting the slingshot, goat herding x2, rescuing a kid and a monkey, taken into Twilight and escaping the castle, getting the sword and shield, collecting fucking tears, THEN FINALLY you're ready to get the dungeon, but the monkey has to help you cross the purple knockout gas.
I may have even forgot something, but with lengthy obnoxious cutscenes between each of those TP is easily the worst slog of a Zelda game intro ever.
It takes about 2~ hours no matter how quickly you do each step.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.