[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is this game so optimized without Carmack? 1080p 60fps on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (199 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
199 KB, 1280x720
How is this game so optimized without Carmack?

1080p 60fps on consoles and a solid 144fps @ 1080 on my PC at nightmare settings
>>
>>343019292

Carmack is a hack

His megatexture garbage was a flop and ran worse than conventional means

There's a reason he fucked off to VR
>>
We're just used to incompetent developers who usually don't go the extra mile for performance beyond playable
>>
>>343019292
Bethesda only published this one.
>>
>>343019428
how one person can be so wrong?
Either way Rage run @60FPS on consoles and looked better than most games.
>>343019292
Carmack liked to toy around with tech, try new things. DOOM doesn't really do that. But there are good programmers in the world aside from Carmack.
>>
He did work on it. He just wasn't there when it was finished. IIRC he left Id as soon as "his part in Doom 4" was finished, whatever that turned out to be

>>343019707
I'm impressed how well Wolfenstein TNO ran on last gen, even if did look pretty shitty
>>
>>343019896
He had to sacrifice a part of his soul to the devil as trade for saving the FPS genre.
>>
My computer actually starts making nose when I play this game it runs at 120 fps, is that bad? I never heard it get this loud before
>>
>>343020358
what's making noise? Is it a clicking noise or is it your fans kicking in? Should probably run a SMART check on your hard drive either way
>>
>>343021240
its the fan it gets loud as fuck, I never hear my fan because I play games like transformers devestation and xcom and never heard anything from my computer
>>
Crytek's lead graphics engineer took over from Carmack. How do people not know this?
>>
File: stats.jpg (54 KB, 746x518) Image search: [Google]
stats.jpg
54 KB, 746x518
i can't run it, wut do?
>>
>>343024656
theres actually a mod that you can get that significantly lowers the graphics and lets most comps play it, cant remember the name though
>>
>>343024656
I doubt it. There is a demo if you want to try, but you're below the min specs by a lot.
>>
Carmack really REALLY fucked up with the Rage engine
>>
>>343019428
DOOM uses megatextures
>>
My 560ti is having trouble running it. I need to upgrade for 300 bucks, is the 980 the best I can do?
>>
The game has a dynamic resolution on consoles. The resolution can drop to maintain 60 fps. You can do the same thing in the PC version if you have to.

Have there been any other games released from big publishers that used Opengl though? I can't think of anyone besides iD that still use it.
>>
>>343025443
Where you finding 980's for $300 bro.
>>
>>343019292
I tried the demo they had. Game literally froze up and crashed when I started a new game

I had all settings on low too
>>
Can an i3-4160 and a GTX 760 2gb with 8gb ram run this?
>>
>>343021552
My old GPU used to get hot as fuck with Deus Ex HR due to running at like 140 FPS.
When I limited it to 60 it got fixed.
>>
File: 1383157224805.jpg (39 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1383157224805.jpg
39 KB, 480x360
>>343019292
Modern game engines aren't written by a single person.

What you don't read about are the guys at SGi, and other tech companies back in the 90's who were chummy with game devs. Before the age of weaponized patents, it wasn't a big deal for ideas and bits of code to float across fields.
>>
>>343025831
I played it very well with a i3 6100, GTX 960 4GB and 16GB RAM.
>>
>>343020278
nah, he just does what he likes to do. he liked rockets, he made them, he got interested in vr and he works on that too.
>>
>>343025687
I meant 970
>>
I'm completely sure that this is the case, but it seems like the full game running better than the demo did. Anyone else experience this?
>>
>>343025443
>>
Anyone with a 750ti able to run the game? I assume it would since the PS4 and Xbone run it at a stable 60fps
>>
>>343026097
Do you think a graphics card upgrade would improve my performance on it? I just ran the demo and I get about 40-50 fps constant (outside of mars facility) with everything on Ultra except Shadows and Decal settings which are set to low.
>>
>hear the game has demo
>decide to try it since I can't pirate it yet
>try to start it
>requires me to update video drivers
>do so
>start it and get into the menus
>turn all graphics down
>start game
>black screen
>some audio coming through but nothing happening
>fps counter showing 0
>open task manager and kill the process
>uninstall game
Nice demo
>>
>>343027076
Probably, it doesn't requiere too much CPU, there's not much difference between yours and mine, and I ran the game at 60 FPS everywhere aside from one specific room from one of the first levels.
>>
I can safely say that doom doesn't support dual gpus, I mean why would it? I've been meme'd a lot in my lifetime but the sli/crossfire meme is one that I won't ever forget. Hardly any games work with it. It makes me wonder why they even have dual gpu setups in the first place.
>>
>>343019292
Probably because most areas of the game are enclosed(so there isn't much to render) and the open parts have hills or mountains close by blocking the details.
>>
It isn't. It is optimized like shit
>>
File: 1437988437163s.jpg (3 KB, 124x124) Image search: [Google]
1437988437163s.jpg
3 KB, 124x124
todd's expertise
>>
Just watch Carmack program live at Quakecon, shit was a fucking disaster.

>Wh-why isn't this working, it's supposed to be working
>>
Is console version the equivalent of medium setting? Not sure which version to get.
>>
>>343025528
i miss opengl, im glad id still uses it
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.