[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Planetside 1 is shutting down forever on Friday. Press F to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: jolly cooperation.jpg (123 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jolly cooperation.jpg
123 KB, 1280x720
Planetside 1 is shutting down forever on Friday.

Press F to pay respects for the world's first true MMOFPS.

F
>>
File: rip.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
It may not have aged well, and it may not be remembered as such, but this game was a real innovator. It tried things that haven't been tried by a shooter, at least on the same scale, since.
>>
File: swarm.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
swarm.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>342981701
Least of all Planetside 2, which while showing slow improvement had its publisher and dev team decide to orient the game for a potential future console port early on.
>>
File: 1440782215804.jpg (176 KB, 1157x651) Image search: [Google]
1440782215804.jpg
176 KB, 1157x651
>>342981523
Pshhh, nice armor, kid. Now stand back while I frag this charlie.
>>
F
>>
>>342981701
>shooter

don't get me wrong, planetside 1 was a very interesting and ambitious game, but calling it a shooter is a disgrace to the genre

The mechanics were absolutely terrible
>>
File: ancient clan propaganda.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
ancient clan propaganda.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>342982324
I can't really deny that.

Planetside 1 had ideas behind it that are still fairly novel and interesting to this day, but the netcode and gunplay utterly defeated it.

There still isn't a game that's truly tried to do what it attempted to do with modern technology, and it bums the hell out of me.
>>
planetside 3 when
>>
what are the major differences between 1 and 2? only played two but i prefer older graphics since my comp isn't that great

did they have that dumb grindy bullshit?
>>
>>342983196
It was subscription based so there was no need for a huge grind, there was a level system but it didn't take that long to max out if you were playing a lot and doing well

Basically everything works completely differently in Planetside 1, to be honest.
You have:
>A grid based inventory system that varies in size depending on the armor you're using with rexo (basically heavy assault) being the largest
>Various ammo types for grenades and weapons
>Many many more vehicles, like an amphibious bus, a air vehicle-transport that can drop tanks from the top of the map, several sunderer variants, a transforming artillery vehicle
>Infiltrator/hacker role greatly expanded beyond "kill mans," can do things like unlock all of the doors in a base or upload a virus to a base's main terminal to fuck everything up, even "jack" an enemy vehicle to make it their own
>Enemies can be looted for their weapons ammunition and what have you, but you lose everything when you die
>If you really like having enemy weapons around, you can store them in your personal item locker for later use and stockpile them- but you'll still lose them if you die with them in your inventory.

That's really just scraping the surface, but like the other anon said, the base gunplay is just so bad it can't hold the rest up
>>
>>342984278
jesus christ they really gutted the shit out of it
>>
>>342983196
everything. they have no similarity.
>>
File: lodestar.jpg (54 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
lodestar.jpg
54 KB, 800x600
>>342984761
Yup. My friends and I were really excited for Planetside 2 and my heart sunk when I heard "Loadouts"

I still have far more time in Planetside 2 than one, but I guess that's because Planetside 2 is like the perfect idle game for me. Go around an open area and kill lots of other players with the odds against you. It's easy to get into.

I feel kind of bad about it, actually. The Planetside franchise has potential for days.

Oh, here's another thing I forgot to mention: Most if not all vehicles have trunks, so you can store a different ammunition type or even some extra infantry weapons and ammo in there for later user. It's a really cool idea, and only games like DayZ and shit like that have even tried it since.
>>
>>342986376
Granted, I guess any other game wouldn't need it if you didn't have an inventory system and an open world. Might be cool in a game like Far Cry, though.
>>
how could they fuck up so much with 2? 2 will never have as much as 1
>>
>>342988491
The story I've heard is that:
>Elements of the dev team didn't really give a fuck about PS1 and didn't want to make a PS1 sequel, to the point where originally there was only going to be two factions and no MAX units
>Daybreak was Sony Online Entertainment at the time, and Sony refused to give them halfway decent funding until they promised to do a PS4 version. Even after they did, their funding was nowhere near PS1's budget.

They rushed it out in an contentless, poorly optimized state, too. I'd say most of my friends list played Planetside 2 day one, and I never saw them pick it up again.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.