[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did we ever find out what this was about?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 19
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Did we ever find out what this was about?
>>
>>342980732
Final game of SC2. It ends up being an "us vs them" thing.

Look it up on youtube, I'm certain SOMEONE uploaded those scenarios.
>>
Dark Xel Naga who wants to rid the universe of all life was controlling terrans in to making hybrids so that he could destroy all life in the universe.
>>
>>342980732
Even Wings of Liberty has you fighting the hybrids in that one Protoss mission near the end of the campaign.
But this plot point is one of the major plot points in Legacy of the Void.
>>
Why didn't sc2 have the snow and twilight maps?
>>
>>342980732
The shapeshifting evil mastermind comes back and just changes his name to be backwards from the previous disguise's name.

Bravo Metzen.
>>
>>342980732
TIDINGS OF DOOM JAMES RAYNOR!

>>342982515
But it did.
Hots added Snow tilesets, and Lotv added twilight ones.
>>
>>342980732
MUH PROPHECY
MUH KERRIGAN IS THE CHOSEN ONE
MUH OVERMIND DINDU NUFFING
>>
File: 1467056713085.jpg (107 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1467056713085.jpg
107 KB, 960x720
OP here, sorry for the poor image quality.

Got a better one.
>>
>>342983913
>>342982890
Okay tough guys, how would you have ended it?
Thought so. Fucking told
>>
File: Protoss Archon.webm (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Protoss Archon.webm
3 MB, 500x281
>>342983913
The overmind being good boi according to ghost Tassadar bs was actually Spesh Cthulhu messing with Zeratul's head, which to me, is an acceptable save for that shitheap of a plot point.

Honestly, overall, barring the god awful epilogue, LotV was actually rather decent imo.
It captured the feeling of protoss from SC1 rather faithfully, and was overall, an enjoyable experience to me, whereas WoL and HotS were just awful, especially with how the characters from SC1 were all Flanderized and retconned into completely different people.

Zeratul was lost in WoL and HotS already, but Artanis, still felt rather similar to his BW incarnation in LotV. And that's the fucking extent of returning Protoss Characters we had. Thankfully they didn't suffer from the same sort of lore rape Zerg went trough.

In the end, maybe it is just my Protoss bias speaking. I have always loved them, even since I was a wee lad. Seeing them in action made me all giddy inside.
>>
>>342984235
I forgot to put my glasses on.
>>
>>342984536
Fuck off Metzen.

Don't pick up a pen again until you sort out your midlife crises. Your writing was better when you were younger and edgier.

And for fucks sake stop forgetting your own goddamn writing.
>>
I played starcraft way back and really loved the game along with warcraft, but with time i lost hope in blizzard and never wanted to play SCII because of blizzard's inner jew but now i feel like playing it because of the lack of real RTS these days.
Is the story mode any good? i literally don't care about online play
>>
>being 12 years old and hearing zeratul's speeches for the first time
>>
>you will never know what happend to Raynor
>>
>>342984905
Wing of liberty was decent but Heart of the swarm is atrocious.
Legacy of the void is average and the epilogue is fucking shit.
>>
>>342984769
lel
>>
>>342984905
Its okay. From what I remember, Wings of Liberty has the most "spam this new unit you unlocked". Really like the campaign upgrades you get to play around with
>>
>>342984774
Metzen didn't even write SC1.
Metzen at his best was the concept artist Metzen.
The second he got put into writing role and taken away from drawing is when both Warcraft and Starcraft went to shit in both writing and art style.
>>
>>342985061
i think i only heard about Raynor being a wuss because of kerrigan in II
>>
>>342980732
Legacy of the Void was actually a great campaign as long as you treat it as a fanfic. The pacing and moments are awesome, but the characters literally namedrop "THE DARK GOD AMON" every other second and you're literally battling the abyss or some shit with cultist marines and sadist protoss rebels everywhere. I mean, it's hilarious and fun, you just have to consider it as a weird spinoff universe rather than a direct sequel to BW.
>>
>>342985667
>it may not be today, darling but remember. I'll be the one whos gonna kill you
SC1
SC2
>Sarah ;_;
Metzen forcing a shitty romance.
>>
File: ArcturusMengsk_SC1_HeadAnim.gif (115 KB, 60x56) Image search: [Google]
ArcturusMengsk_SC1_HeadAnim.gif
115 KB, 60x56
>>342984536
Honestly, most of SC2 story's faults aren't in the fundamental ideas and elements it has. The core flaws are in the hamfisted, and crappy execution of those ideas and elements, along with near complete disregard to the established character traits of the main characters, that we got to see develop in SC1 and Brood War.

Mengsk is a prime example.
Compare his SC1 self to SC2, and see how glaring the differences are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bVj-nTkiU
>>
File: Alarak smoking dank terrazine.jpg (128 KB, 1594x997) Image search: [Google]
Alarak smoking dank terrazine.jpg
128 KB, 1594x997
>>342985890
Alarak was bloody awesome desu.
>>
>>342985667
Raynor in SC1 flat out says that he's going to hunt Kerrigan down and murder her himself for everything she's done, especially how dishonorably she killed Feenix.
>>
>Campaign lets you choose course of action
>Your choice is always the correct one among the mutually exclusive outcomes
>>
>>342986231
I agree, Alarak was awesome. I really like what they did with the Tal'darim, actually. They really felt like a made-up asspull in WoL, even though they kind of existed prior. That cinematic where each protoss faction is represented walking together was really cool.
>>
>>342986231
Alarak is a good example of "edgy done right"
Him and Robo-Fenix where the only good Character of LotV.
>>
>>342986109
I don't think you remember how much of a saturday morning cartoon mustache twirler Mengsk was in Brood War.
>>
>>342986383
Only in WoL.
They cut that element out after it.

Honestly, SC2's campaigns were such a let down to me, merely from the mechanical perspective.
They could have done so much more, with shit like actually having a map of Korpulu sector that you could traverse, more interactive elements, random, non story missions to earn credits/biomass/some protoss stuff etc, and in general, make you feel like you are actually commanding an army with a fucking space ship that can go from place to place.

WoL had some elements right, but fundamentally, they were just decorations, not actual proper mechanics, outside of the unit and tech customization stuff, and the successive campaigns dropped everything outside of the unit/tech stuff out completely.
Such a shame.
>>
>>342986372
That's my biggest gripe with the story. I know how she ends up being the best and saves everything, but what if Jim did kill her? And it was a backwater station marshal that fucked the universe. I'd shit your pants, that's so good.
>>
>>342984235
you're cute
>>
>>342986864
I also hate how they retconned Jim from a hothead but righteous bald biker to a resigned drunk with messy, unkempt long hair.

SC2 did major character assassination of Raynor. SC2 Raynor is literally a different character in everything but name and voice actor.
>>
>>342986595
But he wasn't.
For most of BW, he was a desperate man, running for his life while UED tried to hunt him down after taking over the Dominion. He wasn't even the villain in BW. UED and Kerrigan were the villains.

Which makes it even more retarded how in SC2, Mengsk suddenly has his massive empire back together, in near pristine condition, and he is basically back in the position he was at the end of SC1 instead of the end of BW.

I will never understand why Blizzard seemed to ignore so much of the shit that happened in BW.
>>
I want to replay SC/BW

Is there a good download link or should I just head for a torrent site?
>>
>>342986231

He was like a generic sith lord

Though he still stood out over the rest of the cast, who were all boring as fuck
>>
>>342985607
Metzen is credited as "Story and Script" in the credits.
>>
File: Selendis face closeup.png (676 KB, 1112x668) Image search: [Google]
Selendis face closeup.png
676 KB, 1112x668
>>342986443
Yeah, LotV managed to salvage a lot of elements of SC2's story, including the Tal'darim. Hell, Alarak even alludes to the Tal'darim guys you fight in WoL in one of his "stop poking me" quotes. Basically, the Tal'darim fucker in WoL went nuts after sniffing too much Terrazine, which is why he is so different from the rest of the Tal'darim.

>>342986479
I liked Artanis. He is perhaps the only SC1 character that didn't suffer massive changes from his BW self.
He was still the righteous, somewhat hot headed goody good guy, but a bit more humble from his BW incarnation.

I wish that there had been some actual characterization of the other protoss characters (outside of Fenix, Alarak and Artanis). Vorazun, that floating protoss chick, Dwarf protoss (why the fuck did he have a beard?), and most especially Selendis, were really fucking bland. Selendis wasn't even around for the most part, which is a crime, because Selendis is A CUTE!
>>
>>342987216
Mengsk said that he'd rebuild his shit. Also pretty sure only the capital of Mengsk's empire was razed, not the entire planet. The reason UED doesn't appear is because Kerrigan literally anihilates the entire fleet in the ending cinematic of BW. Duran does come back in LotV and the entire Dark Origin shit is expanded upon.
>>
>>342987612
Huh. My bad then, I guess SC1 was his first writer job, not WC3. But yeah even SC1 and WC3 still have considerably "edgier" setup than anything after that. Though WC3 was clearly the beginning of the end with the whole ORCS DINDU NUFFIN AND WE MUST TEAM UP AGAINST ANCIENT EVIL.
>>
>>342987776
The Frozen Throne was deliciously edgy though in a good way.
>>
>>342982131
And in the "hidden" mission where you assault a Dominion lab. Well technically you're running from it instead of fighting but you know
>>
>>342987435
I'm playing sc1 on sc2s engine. Its okay, cool to have huge groups and not just 12.
Otherwise yeah there's a 1.4gb portable torrent. No installation needed
>>
File: supersayiankerrigan.jpg (153 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
supersayiankerrigan.jpg
153 KB, 1920x1080
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>342988074
Mass Recall is amazing, but watch autistic /vr/ vermin shit on you.
Also you should play the Enslavers and Dark Vengeance campaigns, they were official Blizzard campaigns released as free DLC back in the day.
Someone remade them as addon for Mass Recall.
http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/brood-war-dark-vengeance-remake/

Rescue Protoss is the canon path for Enslavers
Khaydarin Crystal is the canon path for Dark Vengeance
>>
>>342987664
SC2 starts like 4 years after BW.
The whole notion of Mengsk having his whole empire back together, and at full force, is retarded, seeing how thoroughly it got curb stomped by UED, followed by Kerrigan.

And yes, Blizzard did elaborate upon and expand on some elements of BW, but only as isolated elements. SC2 doesn't feel like a continuation to BW, because it ignores the whole of the Brood Wars, only taking some parts of it into itself, like the Dark Origins and Duran for example.

SC2 should have started with Mengsk fighting to regain his empire, Raynor doing his best to support still free colonies, and prevent Mengsk's second rise to power, while Kerrigan is making her moves in the shadows, Zerg swarms probing Terran and Protoss borders. Protoss should have been far more internally conflicted, due to the aftermath of what happened in BW, leading them to near tribal conflict again.
All the while, Duran and the Hybrids should only have been hinted at, him moving unseen, manipulating the events of the sector for his benefit.
>>
>>342988371
>no naples

WHAT HTE FUCK METZEN I CANT FUCNK BELIEVE THIS SHIT I TOOK OFF MY PANTS FOR THIS GODDAMNIT YOU HACK
>>
>>342988385
I didn't know about those, thanks, will do
And fuck them, I replay sc/bw once a year or so. I just found out about mass recall a couple days ago
>>
>>342988397
>followed by Kerrigan
That never happened. Kerrigan even in BW ending only defends herself from the 3 pronged attack on Char and is explicitly said to not do a single fucking assault ever since other than ensuring the UED aren't allowed to retreat. She let everyone including Mengsk retreat, only UED got fucked by her at the end.

Mengsk regaining his entire empire (which is a total of what, 4 to 7 planets?) within a span of 4 years is entirely believeable. He was the leader of the Dominion that freed those people from the Confederacy. By all logic the UED were the oppressor occupants so the second they are gone and the original leader comes back it's safe to assume things would go back to "normal". Rebuilding a city in a span of 4 years is definitely a major stretch though.
>>
>>342987776
He was also credited as far back as War2. My guess is that with the smaller teams everyone had to contribute to the story so some of his ideas were shot down. Now that he has no one to tell him no he just fucks it up
>>
Anybody else listen to the music while playing other games? There's only 9 tracks but its like you never get tired of them
>>
File: oh you.jpg (24 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
oh you.jpg
24 KB, 500x465
>>342984536
How would I do it? Alright let me break it down for you.
>Wings of liberty is the same except Raynor wants to FUCKING KILL KERRIGAN
>Last mission where you fight her and use the artifact to kill all the Zerg and have Kerrigan pinned down
>Zeratul *teleports behind you*
>"Stop Raynor don't kill her"
>"No please Jimmy I can give you dat freaky alien pussi"
>Pulls the trigger
>Prophecy is ruined
Terran campaign over. Zerg campaign begins.
>Main character is "infested" Samir Duran
>Duran is a former human that's working for the shadow corporations (Illuminati or whatever) back on earth that are doing some crazy ass hybrid experiments.
>Think illusive man from ME2
>Campaign revolves around you and your team of genetically modified half-zerg butt buddies working to undermine all of the factions and to perfect the Hybrid project to exterminate everyone BUT the humans.
>You control the swarm to accomplish feats like obliterating Shakuras and teaking chunks out of the Dominion to further your research
>Do some crazy shit, hybrids are complete but escape your grasp and start tearing Earth and the rest of the galaxy a new asshole
>Campaign ends with Earth and the humans in their part of the Milky Way all but obliterated. The Hybrids are coming for the Koprulu sector!
"Zerg" campaign ends. Start Protoss campaign.
>Protoss are on the fringe. They've been defeated and scattered.
>Clearly you cannot win against both the Zerg and the Hybrids you need some Xel Naga shit
>Campaign revolves around Zeratul and Artanis going around and digging up as much Xel Naga artifacts as they could find
>Eventually you stumble on a rogue planet that seems to have a lost Naga base that's left intact.
>After further exploration you find actual cryogenically frozen Xel Naga
>They're not fucking gods Blizzard they're just regular fucking aliens
>But they look like... humans.
Comment is getting too long but I'm sure you can take it from here. Uniting the races, big battle, yada yada.
>>
>>342988929
Except Mengsk lost nearly all of his military forces in the attack against Kerrigan. He had to call in favors to get those forces in the first place, and then he lost them.
He was left with no army, and a smoldering ruin of an empire at the end of BW.

I am not saying that the Dominion shouldn't exist in SC2. What I am saying is that it shouldn't have been at the top of it's might, like it is in SC2.
There are basically zero signs of the fact that a massive war, that nearly destroyed the dominion, took place 4 years ago in SC2.

As I said before, SC2 starts with Mengsk being at the position he was at the end of SC1, instead of his position at the end of BW.
>>
>>342988979
That's usually what happens.
See Star Wars.
Original Trilogy didn't give George complete creative control until RotJ, and guess which movie from the OT is the worst. Heck, George said he had almost nothing to do with ESB since he was least involved with that one, and it's the best of the SW movies.
>>
>>342989008
SC music tracks are very long and there's 4 per faction.
3 in base game and 1 extra for each in BW.
SC2 has more per faction but I don't remember how many.
>>
>>342989051
>Main character is "infested" Samir Duran
Was with you until that part.

God damn your shit is even worse than Mentzen's.
Get the fuck out with your HFY fuckery.
>>
>>342989051
xel'naga are giant fucking cthulhus, what are you talking about
>>
>>342989579
Did you miss the quotations? Duran was considered infested during BW plot, nobody knew he wasn't actually infested.
>>
>>342989051
Duran explicitly says he works for HIGHER BEINGS in Dark Origin.
Way to prove you're a retard that didn't play Dark Origin mission in BW.
Die.
>>
>>342989540
Too much rock guitar sounds for me in 2. Or is it country?
>>
>>342990047
Country.
SC2 Terrans are much more redneck-ish in terms of music which sucks.
>>
>>342989856
Zeratul knew he wasn't infested. Duran himself basically says that he is a god damn alien working for "powers who have slept for countless millenia" in Dark Origins.
Besides, that isn't at all relevant to why I think your ideas are fucking dumb.

The fact that you want to turn the story into some HFY wankfest, and kill of Kerrigan just to replace her with another human character leading the ALIEN zerg, just makes your ideas even dumber than mentzen's.

Kerrigan should have died in WoL, and the Zerg should have been led by an actual ZERG character, not a god damn human wearing an alien costume.
I want the fucking Overmind back.
>>
Going to do SC2 campaigns again. What upgrades do you like the most? In Heart of the Swarm I love kerrigan summoning a group of primal Zerg
>>
>>342989969
Fine. Substitute "illuminati" with ancient Xel Naga that are actually humans and live on earth.
Boom. Still works.
>>
>>342990470
>Fine. Substitute "illuminati" with ancient Xel Naga that are actually humans and live on earth.

No, that's fucking retarded. There is nothing in SC1 that suggests that humans were the Xel'naga.

Them being interdimensional, spesh cthulhus is preferable to your assinine twist of "dey were humans all along!"
>>
>>342990317
>I think your ideas are fucking dumb.
>your
I'm not that guy. I merely pointed out how you missed the fact that Duran was "infested" in BW.
>>
>>342990463
Insta-zerglings.

The flying ones are cool but it doesn't beat the utility of being able to raise an army of them instantly.
>>
>>342990470
Except the fucking SC1 manual has backstory for the game and explicitly reveals that humans are just one of the minor races that Xel'Naga discovered in their space travels. The only thing I agree with is the changes you suggested to the Terran campaign. Everything else is more retarded than Blizzard.
>>
>>342990705
I didn't miss anything.
I said that I was with him until that point in his retarded drivel.
>>
>>342990927
Fair enough. Though I don't agree with him either on anything beyond his Terran suggestions, see >>342990845
>>
>>342990470
>>342989051
Why would you want Starcraft to be Bungie's Halo?
>>
>>342984679
>It captured the feeling of protoss from SC1 rather faithfully,
>Literally jedi vs sith
>anti protoss tradition
>captured faithfully
>>
File: index.jpg (206 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
206 KB, 1920x1200
>>342987493
In more ways than one
>>
File: huh.jpg (34 KB, 344x341) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
34 KB, 344x341
>>342991091
I actually liked Halo back when humans were forerunners. Having forerunners be big space murloks was retarded.

For all you faggots: Star Craft was meant to be one step from reality. The near-future. Down to earth. That's why having the Xel Naga be space ghosts was retarded.
Suppose that you actually wanted to make a Xel Naga race, what the fuck would it look like? Bipedal rubber forehead like the protoss? A space insect like the zerg? Either way they'd look retarded and drive the setting more towards high fantasy (which it is now.)
Having the Xel Naga be humans would fit so well into the setting. Having Duran be their agent from earth would explain a lot. It would ground the story and make it interesting instead of:
>MUH VOID
>MUH SUPREME BEING
>MUH DESTINY
>>
>>342980732
Is SC2 worth buying as a singleplayer game?
What exactly does "starter edition" entail?
>>
>>342991836
READ
THE
FUCKING
MANUAL
FOR
SC1

THE XEL NAGA WERE ALWAYS GIGANTIC SPACE GHOSTS

SERIOUSLY DIE YOU FUCKING FAGGOT, DIE DIE DIE AND READ THE FUCKING SC1 MANUAL YOU UNDERAGE LITTLE SHIT
>>
>>342991607
Nigga what?
The color of their psi blades is enough for your to label them jedis and siths?
Besides, LotV didn't really have any "jedi vs sith" stuff anyways. You fight against the Tal'darim on what, 3 maps total? And in 2 out of the 3, you are fighting against them because you are allied with one of them, who wants to overthrow the current ruler. Not because some sort of ideological hatred between the two groups.
Ultimately, the Tal'darim are just one element of the LotV anyways, and no way make the whole point of the story.

The main crux of the story, along with Amon, is with the Protoss learning to let go of their past, and adapt to the future, after witnessing the near total collapse and destruction of their former empire and might, which happened in SC1. Feels like a good continuation to the themes established in SC1 and BW's protoss campaigns, which both had similar themes. In SC1, you follow Tassadar as he struggles to do what he thinks is right, and ultimately save his people, while the traditionalist conclave brands him a heretic and a renegade, while in BW, the surviving protoss have to let go of their ancestral hatred of the Dark Templar, in order to survive.

And what anti-protoss tradition are you talking about?
>>
>>342992108

It's alright, certainly better than the other RTSes that came out recently.

Wings of Liberty is the best one, the next expansions make it obvious Blizz used up all their best mission ideas early
>>
>>342992527
>The color of their psi blades is enough for your to label them jedis and siths?
The entire conflict was literally Kotor 2 plot in a nutshell if it was written by bioware

the xel nagas ended up not being that much different from ME reapers
>>
File: relief.png (4 KB, 274x242) Image search: [Google]
relief.png
4 KB, 274x242
>>342992295
Right. The manual. Which claims that the primitive Protoss were able to genocide their creators. The evil space ghosts got defeated by an army of Dindus with laser guns.

I can understand how tempting it might be to have every Blizzard game basically be WoW with the demonic baddies and the angelic mary sues and the magic and superpowers but you've got to tone it down m8.
>>
>>342991836
M8, Starcraft 1 may have had down to earth aesthetics, but it was always campy, soft scifi. It had fucking super advanced ayy lmaos that could throw psychic lightning at their foes, hyper adaptive space bugs that could absorb your dna, and a bunch of space rednecks thrown into the mixture.
>>
>>342992108
Starter Edition is a demo of the first campaign, only 3 missions of it and full access to the Arcade, which is like Steam Workshop with custom maps posted. You can't play actual SP or MP portions of the game, only the custom maps from the Arcade by yourself.
>>
>>342992108
The campaign is pretty long. Lots of RPG mechanics that differ wildly from faction to faction, and pretty much no 2 missions are alike because of unique gimmicks for each and every level
>>
>>342992832
And also the reason thuse customs were there was because the aeon of strife not because of muh feelings. its more muh prophecy bullshit just like reaper indoctrination in ME

Literally killed the protoss lore
>>
>>342992894
>genocide
Read the manual again.
The Protoss start infighting and then launch a petty assault at the Xel'Naga which does literally nothing to them and the Xel'Naga basically say "Well, you're a failed creation so fuck you too" and they leave.

But go on and shitpost harder with your fanfiction nonsense.
>>
>>342989051
>use the artefact to make kerrigan human
>still kill her
You make as much sense as metzen himself, pretty impressive.
>>
>>342992832
I haven't played Kotor, so I can't really comment, but do note that there was barely any real conflict between the Tal'darim and the protoss under Artanis command. At first, you fight them as they try to destroy a facility, and later they fought because Alarak convinced Artanis to aid him in overthrowing the ruler of the Tal'darim.

>>342993041
>And also the reason thuse customs were there was because the aeon of strife not because of muh feelings.
That didn't change in SC2.
LotV didn't touch protoss lore one bit, outside of specifying that the Xel'naga who uplifted the Protoss was Amon, and his cronies. Nothing else changed at all. The primitive protoss still had their psionic link, that over time, vanished due to the Xel-naga meddling, leading to the aeon of strife, which was ended by Kas, who managed to re-establish that link using Xel'naga artifacts, and laid down the foundations for the Khala.
>>
>>342992894
Retard, it was the Zerg who killed off the Xel'naga, not the protoss. The Xel'naga simply abandoned the protoss after deeming them a failure due to them losing their psychic link.
>>
If the writng was good you wouldn't be nerd arguing
>>
>>342993494
>They didnt do it themselves as a wise honorable and prideful civilization
>It was the xel naga
>who did it on purpose
>To be able to control them in the future
>Protoss went from being an ancient mysterious ominous stoic race to essentially draeneish looking humans
>>
File: Starcraft 1 protoss artwork.jpg (194 KB, 356x475) Image search: [Google]
Starcraft 1 protoss artwork.jpg
194 KB, 356x475
>>342994431
Nigga, the Protoss were uplifted by the Xel'naga even in SC1's manual.
Their psychic link was the very reason the Xel'naga took interest in them, back when they were a bunch of hunter gatherers.
And because of their meddling, the protoss lost that link, which made the Xel'naga deem them a failure.
This led to the aeon of strife, which in turn, was ended by Kas, who, by studying, and utilizing Xel'naga artifacts, was able to re-establish that psychic link, and lay the foundations of the Khala religion.

Nothing of the above, was changed in LotV, other than the Xel'naga who uplifted the Protoss were Amon, and his allies.

Also, the Protoss looked like they do in SC2 in SC1 as well.
What the fuck are you even bitching about?
>>
>>342995186
>was able to re-establish that psychic link, and lay the foundations of the Khala religion.
I dont remember this

>Nothing of the above, was changed in LotV, other than the Xel'naga who uplifted the Protoss were Amon, and his allies.
Yes it did. the whole aeon of strife thingy and all protoss pass in general was thrown into the trash

No they didnt. In SC1 they were gray yellow eyed
>>
File: Zealot.gif (429 KB, 180x212) Image search: [Google]
Zealot.gif
429 KB, 180x212
>>342995649
>I dont remember this
Then re-read the fucking manual.
It can be found on the internet.

>Yes it did. the whole aeon of strife thingy and all protoss pass in general was thrown into the trash
Blatantly untrue, lying faggot.
They fucking referenced Aeon of Strife both in the Campaign, as well as in this trailer that was released before LotV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQnmfEka3vw

>No they didnt. In SC1 they were gray yellow eyed
Their tech did look less gaudy in SC1, true, however, physically, they look basically just like SC1 protoss in SC2.
>>
>>342996097
How about you fucking link it you made the claim. I can't even go to the wiki cause blizz rewrote it all to make it fit with SC2 retcons

>Blatantly untrue, lying faggot.
>untrue
>all that shit in the pass doesn't matter
>Lets cut our shit and start over
>remember the whole protoss campaign from SC1? well that was silly shit , they should have cut their thingys back then. Blizz recycled the same plot idea only that the Sc2 version made it absolute garbage

It made everyhting meaningless, just like the prophecy ruined everything

>Their tech did look less gaudy in SC1, true, however, physically, they look basically just like SC1 protoss in SC2.
>here look they clearly look different but they look the same
are you retarded?
>>
File: Zeratul_SC1_Cncpt1.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Zeratul_SC1_Cncpt1.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
>>342996770
>waaah, I'm a lazy fag who can't do a simple google search

I ain't spoonfeeding you shit. The lore is in the manual, go look it up.

Also, nice backpedaling.
I proved you wrong about about aeon of strife, don't try to weasel yourself out of it.

Besides, protoss campaign in SC1 didn't have that much to do with the Khala itself, hell it wasn't even explained what Khala was in the campaign itself. The conflict in SC1's protoss campaign was about tradition, vs change, in the form of Tassadar going against the will of the Conclave.
Them cutting off their nerve cords wouldn't have resolved any conflicts in SC1.

>>here look they clearly look different but they look the same
Failure at reading comprehension much?
I said that their technology looks gaudier in SC2, however PHYSICALLY, as in, the shape of their body, faces etc, SC1 protoss and SC2 protoss are virtually the same. All SC2 did was ad more detail to them, and make them a bit beefier.
>>
>>342986861
I think the problem was they made that promise but found out that influence on story like that means you cannot write as tight of a story. Unless its the last game in line where each person gets its own ending
>>
>>342997576
>Also, nice backpedaling.
I didnt backpedal
>I proved you wrong about about aeon of strife, don't try to weasel yourself out of it.
No you didnt. You send me to read the manual i asked you top ost cause i dont kno wwhere to find it.

IM not sure but if i remember they did it all themselves without any help from any xel naga shit

>Besides, protoss campaign in SC1 didn't have that much to do with the Khala itself, hell it wasn't even explained what Khala was in the campaign itself. The conflict in SC1's protoss campaign was about tradition, vs change, in the form of Tassadar going against the will of the Conclave.
Them cutting off their nerve cords wouldn't have resolved any conflicts in SC1.
are you serious? They fucking fight over not being dogmatic cunts thats like the entirep prtoss campaign even the zerg missions

No they are clearly different, completely different
>>
>>342984536
WOL
>mostly the same
>Jimmy want to kill Kerrigan
>valerian's motivation is actually a secret minister of science research who is way too close to mengsk and he's worried about succession
>zeretual's over mind mission is just him trying to reach it to find a protoss research camp there. He gets to a ship as it takes of carrying remains of the OM's corpse and find a tendril with a cerebrate like creature coming out of it
>final cutscene plays mostly the same, the artifact kills lesser zerg and partly dezergs Kerrigan and Jim is about to shoot her when he sees her with a human face and a sad expression
>he hesitates and can't finish her off so tychus tries to do it
>a protoss shield block the attack and an unnamed 'toss takes her away
>narud(but with a different name) reveals himself to be the minister and steals the artifact
HOTS
>mengsk is trying to colonize char to quell the growing anti dominion sentiment from spilling into a civil war
>Kerrigan wakes up on an unknown world next to a start in hive for starting tutorial things
>when she's ready to leave she finds an old temple and decides to explore it and finds the protoss who says he was old friends with Duran and was tasked with keeping her safe on that world.
>she kills him but he's just an illusion and tells her that it's too late to rebuild her swarm to try to stop them.
>mission are split between retaking worlds, finding abathur to rezergify her and find out about the prophecy
>after all those are done a retake char mission line opens up and is followed by taking down the dominion, reclaiming other key zerg worlds and hunting down the toss guy with
>the finale is invading korhal and killing mengsk
>there are side missions about Jim and crew hunting down nuNarud
>>
File: Dark Templar concept art.jpg (50 KB, 500x618) Image search: [Google]
Dark Templar concept art.jpg
50 KB, 500x618
>>342998143
>I didnt backpedal
Yes you did you faggot, yes you fucking did.
Everyone can see your fucking posts.
First you claimed that:
>the whole aeon of strife thingy and all protoss pass in general was thrown into the trash

And when proven undeniably wrong here>>342996097 you started backpedaling like mad here>>342996770

Also, I found the fucking manual in a SINGLE GOOGLE SEARCH, you lazy faggot.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/25478804/StarCraft-Manual
Go read trough it.
Or no, fuck it, I'll just copy paste the relevant bit right here:

"Khala: The Path of Ascension
Although there were many different factors that led to the ending of the Aeon of Strife,one unprecedented discovery is cited with bringing about the radical changes of the Second Age. As the ancient, vicious bloodfeuds continued to take their toll upon yet another generation of Protoss warriors, one eccentric mystic stumbled upon a pivotal insight.
The mystic, whose true name has been forgotten in the annals of history, was eventually named Khas or ‘he who brings order’. Khas, having studied the archaic,forbidden teachings of the Xel’Naga,unearthed ancient, monolithic artifacts known as the Khaydarin Crystals. The Crystals, left behind by the Xel’Naga, were fundamental in facilitating their proto-genetic experiments. Khas was able to channel the primal energies of the Crystals through himself, allowing him to access the primordial, psychic bond of his race. For the first time in thousands of years,the primal chord of the Protoss was tapped."

> They fucking fight over not being dogmatic cunts thats like the entirep prtoss campaign even the zerg missions
Yes, and? That still doesn't make the conflict inherently about the Khala itself. It is again, more about traditionalism vs change in SC1.
As in the "dogmatic cunt protoss" vs more open minded protoss, like Tassadar.

And no, physically, they look pretty much the same. SC2 protoss just have more in game details, in the line of sc1 concept art.
>>
>>342989051
What I would do
>terran campaign
>jimmy down and out, looking for revenge but cant find a thing to get back at her, trying to survive
>Mostly keeping zerg from running over every planet
>some dominion guys ask him for help to bait kerrigan and then use the xelnaga artifact they found to weaken her and kill her
>jimmy goes along
>kills kerrigan
>zerg go on a rampage
>suddenly they all stop moving
>a research cell of dominion created artificial cerebates that now control the zerg

>zerg campaign
>the research cell wants to take over the galaxy using their slave zerg
>cerebates are weak and need to be on the planet to control the units
>during one of the missions the dominion uses a weapon to sever the connection with the researchers
>cerebate gets mind of his own and immediately shields himself from being controlled again
>cerebate is considered lost, but you playing as the cerebate secretly move around to free more cerebates, create a new overmind, and continue as initially planned
>duran pops in giving you info on hybrids and where aiur is
>get overmind back, move to aiur for round two

>protoss
>tired of getting reamed again they know they cant make another hold
>join up with jimmy who is pissed off he got used
>fuck over mengsk and rally the remaining protoss and terran to try and fuck the zerg once and for all
>xelnaga joins the zerg since they want the finished project by fusing authentic protoss with zerg
>>
File: AeonOfStrife protoss.jpg (484 KB, 1920x804) Image search: [Google]
AeonOfStrife protoss.jpg
484 KB, 1920x804
>>342999141
Also, here is some SC2 protoss art to compare.
>>
>>342998724
LOTV
>dominion in all out civil war
>zerg forces aggressively attacking both protoss and terran worlds
>starts with a questline to recruit the dark templars to retake aiur
>finally convince zeretual to join in exchange for them to take him to see the tal'darim leader
>choice between that and side missions to recruit smaller tribes
>on taldarim homeworld Artanis meets up with Jim and Kerrigan
>the zerg attacking are coming from his world and Nunarud is here on this world
>when they get to their leader it's the protoss before next to nunarud and a rhynadon
>reveal they are all working together under a dark master and Duran comes along to escape with them
>Jim and zeretual follows them and Kerrigan loses control over her swarm and says the overmind is back
>after the mission to kill the new overmind the taldarim are now under Artanis' control and they go to retake aiur
>once they reclaim the world the campaign ends and the post game begins
>Artanis takes an elite group to the coordinates zeretual sent them
>the 3 groups fight their way to the big bad
>the toss is a fanatic who is obsessed with getting back at the xel'naga for abandoning them by destroying all their work
>nunarud is just a mad scientist
>the rhynadon was a parasite that infested it that evolved from the original zerg who wants to take the OM's place and rule the zerg
>Duran is a shapeshifter slime monster who follows the dark master
>the big bad is some old as fuck alien who was jealous of the xel'naga and wanted to surpass them by creating an army to destroy them
>the Legion of doom gets destroyed and everyone fucks off back to where they came from until starcraft 3 comes out
>>
File: Sergeant_SC1_CineWastePatrol1.jpg (32 KB, 375x344) Image search: [Google]
Sergeant_SC1_CineWastePatrol1.jpg
32 KB, 375x344
We need the side story of Lester and Sarge
>>
>>342999827
nigga they ded.
>>
>>342999876
I know, but HOW they got there.
>>
>>342999970
They took a jeep
>>
>>342999141
>And when proven undeniably wrong here>>342996097 you started backpedaling like mad here>>342996770 (You)
It didnt get proven wrong in any way. Literally the PLOT of SC2 as YOU said was to cut themselves off their past because reasons and not working it out like an ancient omnious highly intelligent prideful honorable race. They turned the protoss into humans

I concede the second part but irregardless

My point stands

>
Yes, and? That still doesn't make the conflict inherently about the Khala itself. It is again, more about traditionalism vs change in SC1.
No they don't> sticking with the khala turns you into sith. The conflict was well done in SC1 not in 2

in 2 they absolutely trashed it and ripped off ME

>
They look 100% different
>>
>>343000950
You don't have a romantic streak, do you?
>>
>>342986109
>Honestly, most of SC2 story's faults aren't in the fundamental ideas and elements it has.
That's where you're wrong. The core ideas are EXACTLY where its major faults are. Sure the writing is hamfisted, but let's not pretend it was anything resembling subtle in SC1.

Modern blizzard is too obsessed with corrupting characters, turning villains into antiheroes, and generally making people switch allegiances and purposes at the drop of a hat, and adding shitty new villains who were behind everything all along is just an incredibly lazy way to up the ante.
>>
>>343001302
M8, you claimed that Sc2 dropped the protoss past, like aeon of strife. Your claim was completely fucking wrong. Again, don't try to weasel out.

The protoss story in Sc 2 involves them moving on, and letting go of their past, yes, but that itself isn't a retcon in any way, especially seeing how that theme has been with the protoss since sc1. You may not like it, but that doesn't make it a retcon.

Finally, the physical design of the protoss was laid out already in sc1. Sc2 protoss only differ in the way their tech looks. Physically, they are pretty much the same. Just look at any sc1 protoss concept art.
>>
File: starcraft-sarah-kerrigan.jpg (65 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
starcraft-sarah-kerrigan.jpg
65 KB, 1024x768
Why did they fuck up Kerrigan? She used to be hot. Now she's just gay. Built in high heels? fuck
>>
Kerrigan should have died in WoL. it would have been better if they were eventually somehow able to avoid the prophecy despite her dying, because I think the Zerg should simply be the irredeemable bad guys, just like in SC1.
>>
>>343002881
>M8, you claimed that Sc2 dropped the protoss past, like aeon of strife. Your claim was completely fucking wrong. Again, don't try to weasel out.
>

The protoss story in Sc 2 involves them moving on, and letting go of their past, yes, but that itself isn't a retcon in any way, especially seeing how that theme has been with the protoss since sc1. You may not like it, but that doesn't make it a retcon.

are you mentally challenged? I didn't say that. I said that all that SC2 did made everything that happened in previous game pointless, it ruined everything the protoss stood for

>Finally, the physical design of the protoss was laid out already in sc1. Sc2 protoss only differ in the way their tech looks. Physically, they are pretty much the same. Just look at any sc1 protoss concept art.
Post it

SC2 protoss looks like literal draenei
>>
>>343003681
>I said that all that SC2 did made everything that happened in previous game pointless, it ruined everything the protoss stood for
No, that's what you backpedaled to after being proven wrong here>>342996097

And lotv story doesn't make sc1 and bw pointless. It is a continuation of the themes already present in sc 1 and bw protoss campaigns (them being letting go of past traditions and dogmas, and adapting in order to survive.)
You may not have liked the direction lotv took the protoss, but don't try to claim that there was some "lore rape" going on, because there simply wasn't.

I have posted multiple pieces of sc1 protoss concept art into this thread.
I am fucking done with you. You can't even keep track of your own claims. Also, learn to quote properly.
>>
>>343004891
>No, that's what you backpedaled to after being proven wrong here
You backpedalled on your own post by calling it a retcon

>No, that's what you backpedaled to after being proven wrong here
yes it does
literally 1 and a half game about the protoss nature and then suddenly just cut that shit off its evul hur duurr
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.