[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Hearthstone worth getting into?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 23
File: logo.png (182 KB, 593x216) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
182 KB, 593x216
Is Hearthstone worth getting into?
>>
>>342917617
No
>>
>>342917617
yes
>>
>>342917617
maybe
>>
It's a good time waster. One of the best mobile games available.
>>
nope. game was too random when it came out, and now it's about 10x as random.
>>
no, unless you have money to spend
>>
>>342917617
No, new expansion sucks the fucking dick and Gwent is coming out soon.
>>
>>342917617
as someone who has played since beta, no. Unless you're willing to throw alot of money at it to catch up.
>>
>>342918137
Stop the presses a fucking card game is random, who would have guessed.
>>
>>342917617

>it sucks because its not MTG and it requires money to be competitive

thats all you're going to get out of this thread. just go get it
>>
>>342918137
>I consistently won the last 8 games I played
There are random elements to most good CCGs, but you can play the game properly and enjoy yourself.
>>
>>342918367

Excessively random is what he means. Every card game is intrinsically random like what card you draw and topdecks and such, but Hearthstone has things like 50/50 flips that win the game and legendaries that can just win you the game from a losing position.
>>
>>342918543

name that legendary that flips games. lets see it
>>
>>342918367
Play any other card game and you can instantly realize how much less randomness there is

Hearthstone has the lowest number of copies of a card you can run afaik. Only 2
>>
File: 33168[1].png (188 KB, 286x395) Image search: [Google]
33168[1].png
188 KB, 286x395
>>342918650

I thought it was pretty obvious who I was talking about
>>
>>342918741
>shillstone babies WILL defend this
>>
my mom enjoys this game and plays at least enough to do her quest every day but she doesn't like arena and stuff of course...they should really make it easier to stay competitive without spending money on the game though...shitty to have to spend $100+ or so every expansion
>>
>>342918741

yogg is much more likely to mill you than give you an advantageous board position
>>
>>342918650
Yogg, C'thun, Y'sharjj, Sneeds, Confesser, Dr. Boom, Sylvanas, and others that I can't think of at the moment.
>>
>>342918650
You fucking serious dude?

It's not even a 'disparaging comment'. It's just a fact.
>>
File: 1444763510575.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1444763510575.gif
2 MB, 250x250
Im enjoying it I got enough dust for a midrange hunter deck. If you want to f2p rush a class to level 20 amd do the tavern brawl each week for a free pack
>>
>>342918926
how the fuck is it going to mill you
>>
>>342918836
If you spent any money at all on the last expansion you are a fool. You had months to save up gold and were able to get so much dust from the nerfed cards you could craft whatever you needed.
>>
>>342918926

I didn't say anything about the likelihoods of outcomes. I simply said that there are legendaries that can randomly turn your loss into a win. There's nothing to argue about here.
>>
>>342917617
I was never really into constructed, but I liked arena since deckbuilding in there actually required some amount of skill.

Now there's addons that will pick your cards for you on the basis of your class and what's already in your deck.

So... I really don't play it anymore.
>>
>>342917617
Tavern Brawl can be fun, otherwise not really.
>>
>>342919032

there are more spells that draw cards than direct damage spells, and card draw spells don't pick a target like pyroblast does
>>
>>342918543
I'm well aware that he means "excessively" random. But the entire system is based on random draws. You can win a game from a lucky topdeck way more often than any card with a random effect.
>>
>>342918741
>>342918813
>Implying Yogg doesn't kill or harm the user far more than 50% of the time
>>
>>342919212
That's not correct... as long as you play it on a losing board. But why would you want to play it otherwise?
>>
>>342918715
2/30 = 4/60 ~= 3/40
>>
>>342919047
But the same legendaries can put you in a worse position, do relatively nothing or be played around.
>>
>>342919197

So? Who cares if luck can turn the tide in a single game. A single game is just 5-15 minutes depending on what you're playing.

If you're genuinely good you're going to make it to the top. If the game was too random then the same people wouldn't be making it to the top consistently and participating in tournaments with prizes of thousands of dollars.
>>
>>342919197
>>342919503

Oops, I meant to reply to people whining about randomness
>>
>>342919442

Okay? I'm not denying that at all. Again, all I said was

>there are legendaries that can just win you the game from a losing position.

"can" being the keyword. Not "always" just "can"
>>
>>342919412
2/30 is 0.066
3/40 is 0.075

thats not the same thing. its pretty fucking big of a difference actually.
>>
>>342919381
>play yogg on losing board.
>damages me, kills itself and buffs opponents board
Yogg is probably the biggest random addition of late and most of the time it does nothing to help or hinder
>>
>>342919503
>participating in tournaments with prizes of thousands of dollars

Tournaments are generally invitationals, and people who are invited are big streamers who can bring their following with them.

>same people wouldn't be making it to the top consistently

Ranking up to legendary is more about dedicating the time than anything else.
>>
>>342919503

Its not that you can't make it to the top because of randomness, its more that the game feels bad to play because of randomness.

It feels bad when I lose a game because my 1 drop died to a Flame Juggler.

It felt really fucking bad when Dr. Boom's Boombots traded 3 for 1.

It feels shitty when you're winning and Yogg happens to get lucky.

Just got tired of dealing with stuff like that.
>>
>>342917617
No. It gets more and more unbalanced by the day.
And for any retards who still defend this utter waste of time:

>Evil Heckler

It's just the most obvious example, but not even the most appalling
>>
>>342919687
>thats not the same thing. its pretty fucking big of a difference actually.
It's as close as you can get with a 40 card deck. That's why it's roughly equal.
>>
>>342919616
You can win from losing position without legendaries as well. You win more often by being a good player than relying on rng and whatever legendary it is that "sometimes" instantly wins a losing game.
>>
>>342920569

Yes, you're absolutely correct.

I don't know why you're making all these statements that don't contradict what I originally said.
>>
File: 27246.png (174 KB, 286x395) Image search: [Google]
27246.png
174 KB, 286x395
>>
>>342919846

>Tournaments are generally invitationals, and people who are invited are big streamers who can bring their following with them.

This is bullshit. People become eligible for tournaments by gathering HCT points.
>>
>>342920765

now thats a bullshit card. much moreso than yogg
>>
In my opinion AT IT'S VERY CORE Hearthstone is a pretty good and fun game. However, this is under the condition you own most or all of the cards. If you wish to start now and not pay 200+ dollars you are going to have a miserable trudge to acquire the cards you want. Not only are your starter cards powercreeped at this point, but the packs obviously aren't always going to give you what you want and cards give paltry dust amounts. The game discourages you from grinding to get packs faster in that you win nothing for losing and only get 10 gold per 3 wins. meaning you would have to win 30 games to acquire one pack. Implying you win every game at roughly 3 minutes per win(lets just say you are playing zoolock, face shaman or something else that can win in the turn 6-8 window) it would take you an hour and a half to acquire 5 cards, some of which will be doubles of things you have.

In addition the ladder meta is pretty annoying at the time. It's very heavy on zoolock, face shaman and other incredibly aggressive decks which are VERY CHEAP to acquire mind you. This means you either bring a lot of board control which is still not a guaranteed fix or run these decks yourself.

All in all it's a very fun game covered in a couple layers of shit you have to be wiling to dig through to enjoy properly.
>>
File: Flamewreathed_Faceless(35226).png (174 KB, 286x395) Image search: [Google]
Flamewreathed_Faceless(35226).png
174 KB, 286x395
>>342920765
Are you fucking serious, considering Shaman not long ago got this, fuck me.
>>
>>342920713
I dont understand what your point is. You are completely against any kind of rng at all? Maybe card games arent for you. With a system that is inherently random (drawing) any win or loss can be attributed to luck of the draw and any random elements added after the draw are null.
>>
>>342921230

I didn't say any of that. All I did was state the fact that there are legendaries which can randomly turn a loss into a win. You're the one that keeps trying to make a debate out of a fact.
>>
No, fuck Hearthstone. It has barely any depth, the best strategies are just braindead linear play on curve strategies, and it's full of shitty random effects that turn games into coinflips. Not only that but the community is absolutely horrible too.
I played it for more than a year and I was a happier person once I quit.
>>
>>342921196

at least it fucks up the curve. troggs can become 3/3 for 1 on turn 1
>>
>>342920765
Fiery war axe. Congrats your opponents next turn is likely an average minion that overloads and you have an axe for that too.
>>
>>342918130
can you repeat the question
>>
If you're just starting it's probably not fun at all because collecting cards is pretty slow. You'd think they could at least give you a pack a day, but nope. Playing with basic decks is also no fun because people will full decks farm rank 20 for golden.
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>342921430

> card is ok because warrior can deal with it
>>
MTG is better but the interface on MTGO (Magic: The Gathering Online) is wonky as hell and will never work on a portable device.

Unless youre looking for something to kill time on a bus just do MTG instead.
>>
>>342921430
You know that means nothing right? Not every class has turn 1/2 answers.
>>
>>342921356
Im not debating the fact. Im asking why you see this as a bad thing and why you are only making note of legendaries when there are other ways of turning a loss into a win?
>>
>>342921430

"you must have removal or you lose" isn't the best design for a 1 drop desu
>>
File: full.jpg (190 KB, 1550x1200) Image search: [Google]
full.jpg
190 KB, 1550x1200
>>342920901
>>342921196
>wow, the old shaman cards sure do suck because we don't understand overload
>let's release a bunch of overpowered shaman cards to balance it out

It hurts to see bullshit cards like this come out while garbage like totemic might will never be looked at.
>>
>>342921230
That's not true. Yes, card games have an inherent random element due to the fact that what you can do is related to what cards you draw; but that's a lot different than having a card that turns games into coinflips.
Topdecking a win out of nowhere can seem pretty frustrating, but at the end of the day the opponent put that card in their deck for a reason and it always does that function. A boardwipe always sweeps the board, a big bomb is there to put pressure on your opponent, burn spells are there to give you reach, etc. So while what you draw is random, the cards are put there for specific purposes.
Meanwhile shit like Yogg is just a fucking card that basically says "if you're losing, flip a coin. If heads, you win." which is godawful design. Drawing a card that serves a specific function is one thing, but drawing a card that turns the game into a coinflip is just awful and frustrating. There's a reason Magic doesn't have coinflip cards anymore.
>>
>>342917617
Is meth it?
>>
>>342921521
Frostbolt. Sap. Si:7. Wrath. Taunts. Silences.
>>
>>342921614

Because that to me represents excessive RNG. Its the kind of RNG that can't be controlled. Discover is a good mechanic because its controlled RNG. Whereas things like Yogg and Dr. Boom feel like bad RNG because they swing the game too much. The RNG possibilities have too much variance. Now of course you will make the argument that 1 game doesn't matter over the course of the hundreds of games you play. And that's true. But losing in that manner is very frustrating in my opinion, and I simply don't like Hearthstone enough to put up with it.
>>
Play Shadowverse
>>
>>342921736

>I hate fun

Yogg is a great provider of memes. Kys dude
>>
File: balance.jpg (61 KB, 625x535) Image search: [Google]
balance.jpg
61 KB, 625x535
>>342920765
>>342921196
Shaman is so fucking dumb at the moment
I can't believe this image is still relevant
>>
>>342921638
You lose every time you go against that opener?
>>
>>342922092

No early removal against a shaman that has tunnel trogg and overload cards? Yeah, you probably lose.
>>
>>342917617
they are taking huge breaks between content releases, the next cycle will kill the game with powerful combos
>>
>>342921736
Yogg requires you build your deck in a certain way for it to be even close to useful. If yogg coinflips to victory then the opponent put it and a fair few spells in the deck for that reason. Honestly yogg is often useless and building a deck without him and the spells he requires is more conducive to wins and turn arounds.
>>
>>342922047
Yogg isn't fun. Only stupid meme fuckers think he's fun. There's nothing fun about losing a game you were supposed to win just because your opponent flipped a coin and got heads. It's a flashy coinflip, sure, but that's all he really is at the end of the day. He's not better than Dr. Boom, or Implosion, or Flamewaker, or Juggler, or any of the fucking nonsense that plagues this shitty game
>>
if you're going to get into this children's card game just eat the blizzdick and put like $70 into it, you will have more fun unless you're really into netdecking f2p decks that suck and grinding out a bunch of wins to open packs
>>
>>342922418
That doesn't matter, he still leaves the game up to RNG at the end of the day, which is bad design.
The fact that the developers are more focused on wacky "fun" like that is why HS is a weak, shallow game at the end of the day.
>>
>>342922004
Thats fair enough familam. You dont like losing to rng. Personally i dont feel losing to yogg or to a lucky topdeck is any different
>>
>>342922195
I dont. But if its that bad for you and you encounter it that much then maybe you should consider adding removal to your deck?
>>
>>342922523

Maybe if you're top 100 legend then losing to a meme Yogg would make you tilt.

But if you're anything below and you still take it so seriously you can't enjoy the good memes you probably have Asperger's or something
>>
Hearthstone is garbage, super heavily RNG-based with all the cards that that randomly target and transform into a random creature.

I only play to rank20 each month in hopes that one day the game will be good. The powercreep is happening slowly.
>>
>>342922805

You could literally add every single 1 and 2 mana removal available and still not get any because of draw RNG.
>>
>>342922523

he's the ultimate in BM. and the true point of hearthstone is to make people upset
>>
>>342922837
I don't take it seriously, I just don't think it's fun. I think it's a stupid card. Random effects are more frustrating than fun. Only idiots think they're fun.
>>
>>342922667
Your opponent plays yogg, it can either kill him or kill you=bad rng

Your opponent topdecks king krush, kills you with no risk to himself=good rng
>>
I don't even enjoy playing the game anymore.
>>
>>342921480
Kek
>>
>>342922938
Just like you can have troggs and not get them in an opening hand because rng?
>>
>>342923264

Yup.
>>
>>342923045

If cards like Yogg didn't exist I probably wouldn't even play Hearthstone. It's the lifeforce of the game. If I wanted pure strategy I'd play chess or something.
>>
>>342923102
They're way different. Why is this hard to understand?
King Krush always does what King Krush does. Sure it's frustrating when your opponent topdecks him for the win but it's no different than him having King Krush in his hand at that point. If you're at 8 HP against a hunter and they're at 9 mana, you can just expect you might lose to him. It's also not even entirely RNG; the more turns he goes without drawing Krush, the more likely he is to draw him.
Meanwhile not only do you have to draw Yogg, the act of playing him is also complete RNG, which is where the bad design comes into play. It's obnoxious that your opponent can pull a completely turnaround from a completely random effect. Topdecking is not a completely random effect, and there's no real difference from losing to a topdeck and losing to a card an opponent has in their hand. Meanwhile Yogg is completely random every time so he is vastly more frustrating. It's the combination of the unreliability of the card and the fact that it can pull off miracle wins out of nowhere.
>>
>>342923656

Yogg is not TOTALLY random in the sense it matters when you use it. The amount of dmg/buff/heal spells there are and the amount minions on the board comes into play if you start analyzing it seriously.
>>
>>342919032
are you seriuos have you ever played yogg
>>
>>342923656
I find it more frustrating to lose to a perfect topdeck than a card that has no guarantee that it will have a positive impact. At least yogg has and equal chance if fucking both parties involved. A druid that topdecks power into double savagery is a guaranteed positive impact on his situation whereas yogg can just pyroblast his face and lose the game.
>>
Are any of the classes total shit? I was tempted to pick it up and play the Priest deck.
>>
>>342924163
Perhaps, but it doesn't change anything.
The basic idea is this:
Your opponent playing a card that says "you win the game" isn't really that frustrating at its core.
Your opponent playing a card that says "flip a coin: if heads, you win the game" is fucking obnoxious.
>>342924432
But that's exactly it; when you lose to a card that has a built in chance to completely fail it makes it even worse.
>>
>>342924543
Priest is fun but not top tier right now.
>>
>>342924589

>Your opponent playing a card that says "flip a coin: if heads, you win the game" is fucking obnoxious.

Not everyone has autism dawg. If I would have lethal next turn and my opponent pulls some ridiculous 17 spell meme Yogg that kills me I will laugh, not rage.
>>
>>342924589
I think you are just getting far too salty over something that boils down to "my opponent was luckier than me", which is the whole concept of the game. Spend your entire turn to Flip a coin if its heads you win, if its tails you lose and if it bounces nothing really changes.
>>
>>342924873
Just because you're a Timmy doesn't mean everyone is, anon.
Though considering what HS players flock to most of them are
>>342925072
That's not the whole concept of the game though. Maybe in HS, but while other card games have luck elements to them they're not nearly as abundant as they are in HS.
>>
It's free and only takes up like 30 minutes out of your day. Sure.
>>
>>342925165
No deck in any card game wins every time. You can have the perfect deck and play it perfectly but lose because of shit draw on you part and good draw on your opponents. Luck is the nature of the genre.
>>
>>342918741
Wouldn't that be a good card if the enemy has a full board and you don't?
>>
>>342917617
As long as there are Pay2Win """"Adventures"""" it certainly isn't free 2 play.
>>
>>342925370
It is, and there's no reason to add even more luck on top of the act of drawing cards. HS delights in doing it where better card games add ways to mitigate luck with things like deck searching and tutoring for specific cards. If I wanted to play a card game with a ton of luck involved I'd play fucking Uno, and it was the developers adding even more RNG shit that made me realize it's time to quit the game.
>>
>>342925514

Might be, might not be. It could buff them more than it destroys them. There probably are more damage or removal spells than buffs.
>>
>>342917617
Hearthstone is for people too poor and dumb to play Magic.
>>
>>342918813
I will defend it. It's the best card in the whole game.

I got it from a pack on day on of the expansion release, too.

Tempo mage > everything.
>>
>>342925727

least i don't have to smell my opponent

thats not usually a factor with hobbies. but it is for MTG. the player base is the equivalent of the MOBA community
>>
>>342924873
Cant play blackjack with my drinking buddies anymore. Id get above 15 but my friends would always "flip a coin" and ask for another card. Every time it won them the round my autism would cause me rage and burst into tears. Even times when i won because they bust could not calm my autistic fits of rage.
>>
Nope

It had potential, since its a video game they actually can nerf and buff shit, but because they decided to copy MTGs standard shit the game is trash now.
>>
File: 1402440835330.gif (549 KB, 720x534) Image search: [Google]
1402440835330.gif
549 KB, 720x534
>HS babies defending RNG because their shitty card game doesn't actually have any fun/interesting mechanics
>>
>>342926085
What fun/interesting mechanics does your game have that HS does not?
>>
>>342926085

name another card game in which i make copies of cards in my opponents deck without him knowing what i got
>>
>>342925915
This is the biggest thing, I love in a small town and I always dreamed of playing Magic and having a group of people to play with and when that came up I just wan't interested.

I always dreamed of a good online card game and it blew my mind when this came out, the fact that I can play a card game at any time of the day feels amazing.

Been playing since the original physical card game and I'm so fucking burnt out, decks are so fucking boring I really need new cards. The last drought was just too long for how many cards we got, but I still love this game and I still really want it to do well when I'm burnt out.
>>
>>342918741
Mostly, Yogg is just fun. Sometimes he makes you win games you should have lost. But it's mostly just exciting to see what he does.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (46 KB, 283x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
46 KB, 283x200
>>342925915
this is so fucking true. My LGS was comprised of 50% people that I liked or were normal, 10% literal autists, and 40% angry smelly social outcasts that wouldn't be accepted anywhere else. I haven't been back in a few years.

If mtg had a decent online system I would play, but instead I'll spend a whole 0 dollars and be able to play casually whenever and wherever I want.
>>
File: 41.jpg (88 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
41.jpg
88 KB, 312x445
>>342926143

Storm
Madness
Flashback
Flash
Counterspells
>>
>>342925636
No reason to add luck is subjective. Some people like having fun and taking risks anon. I'm not trying to convince you to play it, just some people like uno, some people like taking risks on dice rolls. Dont label a game as shit because your tastes differ.
>>
>>342926403
Hearthstone is really young, they've added new mechanics every expansion and some have blown dick but they're doing stuff. Can't hate them for that. Give it time.
>>
>>342919032
Literally 1/3 games I play against Yogg the opponent ends up losing due to card draw damage. Best one so far was a Druid that got 2 Sprints and 1 Arcane Intellect.
>>
>>342926207
Okay I'll admit Priest is a fun class.
Too bad it's shit because the game is focused on braindead midrange/aggro curving out strategies instead of actually interesting synergies and combos.
>>342926143
Playing cards on your opponents turn for one thing. Also non-random discard, tutoring effects, exiling, graveyards, non-creature/non-weapons permanents as a side note fuck weapons, etc.
Also really good flavor cards. HS has pretty abysmal flavor overall. I think the Old Gods are the best example of this, they had such potential but their effects besides Yogg are just really boring and vanilla.
>>342926554
I'd say Magic's original set had more interesting stuff in it than the entirety of HS does now. Even if some of it was incredibly fucking overpowered to the point of hilarity. Yeah 2 mana take an extra turn and 1 mana draw 3 cards, seems balanced.
HS is just way too focused on linear creature strategies.
>>
>>342926403
There are cards with effect extremely similar to storm like van cleef and yogg saron. A same claim can be made that MtG does not have HS variations of those interesting mechanics.

Warlock has play on discard card - Fist of Jaraxxus - which takes care of madness mechanic.

Flashback is missing entirely but Entomb is a similar effect that can be just as interesting, without RNG, and MtG can't have it.

Flash is no there and I'm glad it's not. Instant effects would make online a pain in the ass. As HS is right now, you make your turn without any contribution.

And HS actually does have counterspell.
>>
File: 1466683969316.png (319 KB, 315x448) Image search: [Google]
1466683969316.png
319 KB, 315x448
>>342917617
IMO, card games are like Fighting games and Board games. No fun online. Grab some basic MTG or FOW starters, grab some beers, and play with some buds.

Some games don't belong online.
>>
>>342917617
one of the best mobile games.... but p2w as fuck not really worth it if u have a good pc

also prepare to spend over 200 to get a few good cards or else u will get crushed
>>
>>342926403
>storm
>madness
>flashback
>flash
>counterspells

have you been playing the same color for 10 years now anon? Too bad 80% of the mechanics they crap out each season are shit.
>>
>>342926554
The real problem is that the game isn't set up to allow the other player to interact with the game on your turn
The presence of instants in MtG adds an absurd level of depth and strategy to the game, and allows for mechanics that can't exist in Hearthstone
>>
File: 71.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
71.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>342926207
>>
>>342919032
>Force of Nature
>Ball of Spiders
>DOOM!
>Sprint
>Sprint
>Ancestral Knowledge
hmm, well played
>>
>>342921430
As someone who constantly plays every single flavor of Warrior, no. You can go MANY games without a Fiery War Axe even if you mulligan your entire hand for it.
>>
>>342921430
>Having the axe for a 3/4
>>
>>342926859
man, if that guy saw a Lazav EDH decklist his head would probably explode
>>
>>342921974
>Sap. Si:7
Stop.
>>
No. I got into it when it first came out and got high into the meta. It's shit now nothing but RNG with what little skill is involved being which cards you choose for your deck. Most of the good ones being behind a pay wall.
>>
>>342921974
>sapping a 1 drop
shaman players unironically think this is a good answer
>>
>>342926741
Fist of Jaraxxus is an abysmal substitution for madness. Madness is a really interesting mechanics that gives you value out of your discard and lets you play cards at instant speed that you otherwise shouldn't be able to which can really net you an advantage on a careless opponent. Fist of Jaraxxus is a shitty card that does random damage and is made even worse because discard is always random.
Also how can Magic not have Entomb? It would be really easy to print a card that says "Shuffle an opponent's creature into your deck."
And HS counterspell is not a magic counterspell, it's a ygo trap card that activates automatically.

So yeah, nice try, but HS isn't even close. HS is about as deep as a puddle.
>>
>>342926859
Are you one of those people that equate piracy and stealing?

Take and copy are not the same thing.
>>
File: 232px-B01-080SR.png (183 KB, 232x323) Image search: [Google]
232px-B01-080SR.png
183 KB, 232x323
>>342918264
That's the biggest issue, it was designed to be easily accessible at first. The problem is the new cards are exponentially better and can only be attained by paying lots of money until you have enough solid cards through dumb luck and crafting to actually be somewhat competitive.

To give you an idea of how bad it is now balancing wise, I played heavy about a year ago. I don't use hardly any of the same cards out of necessity, and I had to trash every single old deck design as well.

Shits a joke, basic beginner tier cards you get for free are completely useless now.
>>
>>342927082

To be honest it's impossible to copy a card without it's owner knowing it was copied in a paper card game. Copying/Stealing from opponents is all over the place in MTG.
>>
>>342919037
What's shit is new players won't have that luxury, it's literally give Blizzard money or get the fuck out.
>>
>>342927070
>Also how can Magic not have Entomb? It would be really easy to print a card that says "Shuffle an opponent's creature into your deck."
It can't. You can't mix your and your opponent's cards in MtG.
You can make a card like that in some editor. Wizards can't print it.
>>
>>342926873
You can go many games without trogg. Same shit mate
>>
>>342919125
Honestly it's the most balanced mode since everyone gets stuck with balanced load outs that are not based on how much money you invest.
>>
>>342927374
>you can't
ok thanks
looks like mtg is not as deep as it's claimed to be after all
>>
>>342926917
>shutting down the combo and still having a weapon the next turn is a bad thing
>>
>>342927562
unless they're doing one of the constructed brawls that you need a Flamewaker in your opening hand to not lose 80% of the time
>>
File: 130043334621.jpg (45 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
130043334621.jpg
45 KB, 300x301
It's fine to not like the game because there's more RNG than most card games, but that doesn't meant there isn't skill involved either. It's a card game that you play for the long-term. You don't obsess over winning every game. You keep track of your win-rate and you watch yourself improve and climb the ladder faster the better you get. You can't just copy a netdeck and then play a lot and get to legend if you don't know the game very well. I used to shit on the game all the time with that exact mentality but it's surprising how much there actually when it comes to playing it well. The added RNG adds elements of risk assessment to the game. If you're better at assessing risk than your opponents it will show in your win-rate. There is a huge difference between someone who plays at a 60% win rate with a deck compared to someone who plays at a 52% win rate with a deck.

I'm a former Magic player, played quite heavily. I've been trying to grind to legend in HS and I still haven't been able to make it. Hopefully I'll improve and get there sometime reasonably soon though.

tl;dr: It's easy to jump on the bandwagon and say 'XD it's all RNG, nothing else to the game!" but you might enjoy it if you give it a chance. The game has come a long way since it started too.
>>
I don't understand why people think Hearthstone is so expensive.

You pay around 50 dollars or so to get an adventure and some packs, then you can build a cheap, effective deck (midrange shaman, tempo mage, budget midrange hunter, etc.) not to mention many of the decks that have legendaries can be replaced with slightly less effective cards. It's not too important, especially with the level of competition before rank 10 (after the first week of the month, that's an issue that needs to be resolved).

You get so many hours of gameplay and the cards don't go away. Just be smart with dusting (you have to find proper resources about the meta, which has to be done in any card game).

Or you can spend 0 dollars and play until rank 20, having fun in the process.

Or you can be a mad scrub that doesn't understand how to maximize your plays.
>>
File: 1464420942452.gif (1 MB, 500x237) Image search: [Google]
1464420942452.gif
1 MB, 500x237
>prep coin concede

Rank 2000 legend never felt so bad. Oh wait, yeah it does.
>>
>>342927904
It was made even cheaper for new players with the introduction of standard. Less traumatizing too. Not having to deal with bullshit like Secret Pally is a blessing.
>>
>>342926984
>>342921974
Eh i dont play rogue. I dont know what they can do. Was just listing things that could remove it.
>>
>>342927904
People get to legend with free to play decks as well. You have to be really good to do that, but there are also very good decks that are reasonably cheap to make. The pay2win aspect is obviously there because it's a card game, but people over exaggerate it.
>>
File: 1435322035101.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1435322035101.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>342927749
>Forgetting that Trogs can appear on later turns as well.
This shaman plays 2 trogs, a lava burst, and a Hammer at 10 mana.
What do?
>>
>>342927781
Sure it's not always the case, but compared to everything else it's far more skill based than any other mode.
>>
>>342927543
Oh, I didn't know that. I guess that makes sense, it'd be a pain if you added a card you had in your deck unless you marked it.
>>
>>342927904
It's because of this: some legionaries are straight overpowered. Sylvanas, I'm looking at you. Yes, you can play without them. Yes, you build decks that can counter them. It's still extremely limiting to you and it's still frustrating then you play against people who have all legionaries they want.

Don't get my post wrong. I do like HS. Didn't pay a cent, got to rank 11 with my Yogg mage deck yesterday. The game's good. But it could be much better without legendaries that are only accessible to your opponents.
>>
>>342917617
It'd be a great game if there weren't so many incredibly slow players playing. People who wait until rope burning on the first few turns, when there's literally only one or two possible moves ruined the game for me
>>
>>342927904

It's really not expensive as long as you invest time in it and do well in arena.

I started playing about 6 weeks ago and was able to build a solid midrange hunter deck after just 2 weeks without spending a single dollar. A deck that is close to what people use in top 100 legend.
>>
File: a.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
>>342928253
>>
>>342927904
I played around release for about 3 months. Then stopped, recently picked it back up and have about a 70% winrate with a budget tempo mage that was like 600 dust. Never spent a cent on the game and have 2 wings of an expansion. I guess the whiners are just trash.
>>
>>342927623

This issue isn't exclusive from MTG, you can't have this kinda of mechanic in a paper TCG without awkward wording and/or rules that can be abused.
>>
>>342928584
Exactly, fuck that guy. You need a browser window open just to endure the boredom of slow players
>>
>>342928670
thank you for clarification but I already got all the info I needed
>>
File: Typical Hearthstone opponent.gif (2 MB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
Typical Hearthstone opponent.gif
2 MB, 250x187
>>342928253

this is my largest complaint. gimme a nozdormode
>>
>>342928129
Complain about rng. Flamestrike. Lightbomb. Taunts. Mass dispel.
>>
>>342928241

Can you play Yogg mage successfully without Emperor or Flamewakers?
>>
File: c28bdm69.png (119 KB, 280x503) Image search: [Google]
c28bdm69.png
119 KB, 280x503
>>342928709
>>
>>342928789
>lightbomb
haha - AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>342928241
at least it's a neutral, classic legendary. But yeah this one is a bit of a hurdle and sees play in more than a few of the budget / small collection decks.

I really don't have a problem with many of the other legendaries. Most of them can be replaced with something just as good. This excludes weirdo decks like freeze mage (alexstraza, 2x ice block).

In terms of low rank/beginner decks:
Shaman doesn't need any legendaries, it only needs a single doom hammer epic. Hunter doesn't need any legendaries, though it does need a few call of the wild epics. Rogue... ok it needs 1 or 2. Druid can just ramp out dumb cthun guys. Mage doesn't need any. priest needs a few. tempo warrior/cthun warrior would be fine without them.

stuff like that. I think it's mostly fine. And it's satisfying to build up a deck. Opening legendaries is fun too. I think they struck a good balance between $$ and opportunity.
>>
>>342928861
I don't run emperor because the idea is to spend your hand for yogg to fill if (it comes to that), while with Emperor you need a full hand to make him worth it.

I do run flamewakers and I bought the adventure using in-game gold.
>>
File: trump.png (56 KB, 291x546) Image search: [Google]
trump.png
56 KB, 291x546
>>342928878
>it's a "Trump spends his entire turn thinking and then still plays wrong" episode
>>
>>342928861
yes but dragon mage is better
>>
>>342928878
>Just let me talk to my viewers for a minute during the mulligan phase
>Oh damn, I haven't picked my starting hand
>I'm sure the other guy doesn't mind sitting doing absolutely nothing while I'm entertaining my viewers
>>
>>342928978
PUT YOUR FAITH IN THE LIGHT!
DIE, INSECT!
YOU REQUIRE MY ASSISTANCE?
>>
>>342928998
I fucking love this guy. I would never watch his stream though. There's a reason his edited youtube clips are successful.
>>
>>342928998
For a guy who does the 'intelligent Asian nerd' act, he takes a long time to be not-great at a children's card game.
>>
>>342928978
Shaman doesn't even need doomhammer if you're running a totem deck
>>
>>342929012
>>342928998
In that particular picture, though, Trump is saying something along those lines
>it's a turn two for the love of god, turn two, why are you roping why are you doing this to me lifecoach
>>
>>342928931
? Auchenai CoH?
>>
>>342921430
>One class has a card that beats it
>That they have to draw as well
>>
>>342928618
>tempo mage
>no flamewakers
How?
>>
>>342928998

i've always sworn that if i ever face Trump i will intentionally rope every single turn. i'd do it to Kripp too until he gave me a Well Played
>>
>>342929337
Adventure cards cost gold, not dust, so flamewakers could still very well be included into a 600 dust deck.
>>
>>342929367
>ywn face Kripp and then be so good that he accuses you of sniping
jdimsa

>>342929172
most of his gameplay clips are pretty good and his intro videos are one of the few good resources for new players, which is cool. But I'd never watch a stream in general, anything worth seeing will be cut up and thrown on YouTube, and that applies to any streamer
>>
>>342929337
Mana wyrms. Cult sorcs. Use spells to control and buff.
>>
>>342929472
Flamewaker is in the 4th tier of BRM and he said he only has 2
>>
>>342929539
Of, you're right.
>>
>>342929081
Rag can be replaced no problem in a budget deck. Tempo mage can just run a more aggressive curve with. Tomes if you want.

ok you mostly got me on tirion, but at least you can play divine favor paladino without him. And it's only 1 class.

You can't expect a free game without ads to be completely F2P. It's not evil about it and rewards good play and deck building more than it does individual cards at low ranks. Standard was a good step and the improved rewards are nice. It's like a free pack a day if you play for an hour or so.

I'd shill for this game all night but I'll stop after this.
>>
>>342929336

>Quick Shot
>Frostbolt
>Backstab/Hero power
>Wrath

There are plenty of ways to get rid of it on 2 mana
>>
>>342929531
> face Kripp
> snipe him
> he accuses you of sniping
im so good at this holy shit
>>
>>342929336
>dont have to draw the trogg
>he didnt post any other answer so none exist
>>
File: Sad Thrall.jpg (66 KB, 900x643) Image search: [Google]
Sad Thrall.jpg
66 KB, 900x643
>buy a GvG pack to keep forever and ever
>sometimes accidentally open it
>today, wonder why I got a GvG pack from my arena run
It just wasn't meant to be anons.
>>
File: UthertheLightbringer.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
UthertheLightbringer.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
No.

turn back young paladin
>>
Eh I like collecting stuff and HS fills that for me now
I played Runescape just for the quests and MOBA's just so I could learn every hero/champion in the game. I just like the process of getting, learning and doing everything in a game, like becoming a bible of it. You get good on the process too, I left HS after Naxx and I couldn't get rank 15, picked it up 2 months ago and now I can consistently get rank 10, just hoping to get rank 5 next month and maybe get Legend.

I just dislike the fact that Blizzard hates the fanbase and the game, making serious questionable decisions in terms of balance, like a Dr 7, le play all secrets from deck guy and 4 mana 7/7, also getting new cards takes a fucking long time and grind.
Yeah I get it Blizzard, you don't care about HS or the players, but my god, put some effort on the game goddammit.

I just want a good card game to play, and there are none that have as clear of an UI and extra value (Arena, Tavern Brawls and Adventures) like HS does at the moment.
>>
>>342929652
I won't argue with you whether the game can be free and fair at the same time (although I think it can - look at dota).

But bad features still remain bad features even if they are necessary in some way - finding reasons for their existence does not make them go away.

And tomes are not replacement for rag. Tome is the ultimate slow card. Rag is ultimate fast card.
>>
Did you ever concede a game just because opponent kept roping every turn?
>>
It has the potential to be such a fun game but it's held back by some poor design choices.
A recent Kripp video really pinpointed some of the major problems with HS current meta.

Aggro/Zoo style decks are just insanely powerful while being very simple to use and very difficult to counter.
Zoo vs Zoo basically just boils down to RNG.
>>
>>342930184
I catch up on my animu/mango during that time
>>
>>342930184
Of course not. It gives me more time to think. I barely even manage to make my turn with timer as it is right now.
>>
>>342930184
Naw, that's when I go to get some chill music and think about what I'm gonna watch after my Hearth sesh is done.

>>342930214
I think that Aggro decks being good is a mark of Hearthstone, and something that needs to exist, on some level, for the game to actually be considered F2P-friendly.
>>
Nope.

its another free to lose card game.

you'll be place against three opponents that are actually beginners, and then dropped into the shark tank that is opponents of "equal skill"
>>
no, meta gets stale not even a month after new content comes out

enjoy playing the top 3 tier 1 decks non stop if you actually want a high rank
>>
>>342930031
i meant tomes were a replacement for antonidas. rag is far from necessary in tempo.

I don't think legendaries are a bad feature i think they're fun. I also liked the journey from budget -> completely even access to all decks.

But I do understand that it's not fun for everyone and that people want different things from the same game. It is not completely even without time or $$.
>>
>>342930265
If I could elaborate;

Aggro/Face decks are incredibly cheap dust-wise, are easy to play, and can serve as a decent foundation to any Hearth player.

The issue is that, right now, they're a little -too- good. There's no reason for a player who's got a completed highest-efficiency-possible Zoo deck to seek out other cards if they're doing just fine and dandy all the way to Rank 5.

Think about if Control Decks were the only viable deck. You'd have epic and legendary-filled monsters that only the big spenders/time-sinkers of the game could play, and the game would lose its audience and player base dramatically, and then you'd come on /v/ and complain that you can't play Hearth because you don't own every single good legendary.
>>
>>342930469
zoo gets stomped by control warrior and freeze, who cares
>>
>>342930521
everyone who doesn't have the cards for Freeze Mage or Control Warrior
>>
>>342930449
If I was matched with people like me I'd have no problems.
But every game against paladin for example is a full set N'Zoth with all legos. While all I have is Yogg, Thalmos, and 3-4 completely useless useless legos like hemet nesingwary.
>>
>>342929731
why the fuck wouldn't you open a pack?
>sometimes i accidentally open it

so what you have even more unopened packs? what the fuck
>>
>>342930469
true but then isnt the problem the fact you have to put together a zoo deck to be competitive as a new player?
it's like one style of play that if you dont use you are probably SOL because everyone is using it because its so cheap and so effective.
>>
>>342930681
there is no card game in the history of ever that doesn't require you to spend large amounts of money

if you want to be f2p in ANY game, you can suffer for a while and not have fun or just spend money
>>
>>342930816
Microprose MtG 1997
Ascension
>>
>>342926554
Hearthstone is always going to be shit compared to every other card game, since by design it doesn't allow for player interaction on either turn
It's just vomiting out what you've got, alt-tabbing and hoping RNG doesn't fuck you.
>>
>>342930812
The issues of current hearth can be boiled down to the sole issue of too few cards. We'll see what happens with the next xpac, but right now there's way too few cards for this game to warrant any decent level of variation that card games oh so need.
>>
>>342930902
let me rephrase:

card games that anyone actually cares about
>>
>>342931046
Microprose MtG 1997

>>342931017
Doesn't Standard ensure we won't get more cards? We'll have different ones, but it'll be a set of the same size.
>>
>>342927904
Or I can pay $40 for the best Yugioh Deck, then slowly add to the side deck and extra deck over time, selling the packs acquired from winning locals.
>>
>>342930743
you can't buy gvg packs anymore. It's just a silly thing to keep it like you would an irl pack of magic or something.
>>
>>342931120
they surely have to expand on or retool some of the standard set at some point.
>>
>>342931491
Well a new set will be released, it will add, say, 300 cards to the standard. At the same time, and existing set will be removed, taking 300 cards away from standard. That's how they plan to expand and retool the standard.
>>
play ptcgo instead op, it's actually f2p unlike hearthstone
Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.