[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I dunno about the whole "Inafune didn't create Mega
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: keiji inafune.jpg (741 KB, 1228x813) Image search: [Google]
keiji inafune.jpg
741 KB, 1228x813
I dunno about the whole "Inafune didn't create Mega Man" thing that I seem to keep seeing lately, though. Kitamura did make a sprite of Mega Man first, it's true, but Inafune designed what we now think of as Mega Man today in official art, based off of that sprite. Had it been anyone else, Mega Man could have looked very different. Just look at how the Mega Man from Captain N turned out based on someone else's interpretation of the in-game sprite with nothing else to go on. So at the very least, I think Inafune should at least be credited as co-creator, if nothing else, even if people are really upset with him as of late.
>>
Didn't some actual game dev point out long ago that Inafune is *not* a game developer, but rather just a businessman?
>>
File: bof1-misc01_zps37027790.jpg (127 KB, 540x700) Image search: [Google]
bof1-misc01_zps37027790.jpg
127 KB, 540x700
>>342917240
I legitimately quite like Inafune's art-style. Yeah, it's a little dated (It's very much of a product of its time) and maybe he wears his Tezuka influence on his sleeve a bit much, but it's very charming.

Also he and Sony Japan Studio both said a couple of months ago that they'd like they collaborate on another Soul Sacrifice game sometime in the future, so I'm hoping that comes to fruition.
>>
>>342917240
To be honest I'd make him sole creator. He was the true father of Megaman, not Dr. Light, and it's a fucking travesty the shit he's receiving when he put his heart and soul into MN9 and did his damndest to make his fans happy, because he loves them like his own fucking children.

And everyone shits on him. Fucking travesty.
>>
>>342917458
Inafune is basically just an ideas guy and a fairly good artist who happens to have (or had) a good head for business and marketing strategies, he's not a director.

Also it was Kamiya who said that.
>>
>>342917720
only Tatsuya Yoshikawa can be the Breath of Fire artist.
>>
File: Hideki Kamiya tweet collage.png (452 KB, 1490x1065) Image search: [Google]
Hideki Kamiya tweet collage.png
452 KB, 1490x1065
>>342917458
>>
>>342917720

Inafune is a decent artist. Through a series of lucky events, he rose to become a producer. He should have stayed an artist though. He's a pretty piss poor producer/businessman.
>>
>>342919394
At least edit it to include the amusing photo he posted afterwards in an attempt to prove that they're still homies.

I wonder if Kamiya was actually telling the truth and that they are actually still alright on a personal level and him coming across as being snarky was just the language barrier, or it just struck him later that slagging off one of his old co-workers could later come back to bite him in the ass, so he then went the damage control route?
>>
Inafune IS a creator and director. It was his decision that made X the protagonist of the X series, rather than Zero. He's the one who directed the team behind X5 to make it as if it was the last game in the series. He worked on the scenario for Mega Man Zero. Nothing in comparison to what Kamiya has done, but it's not like he's a banker. He's an artist and has the ability to be a creator/director, just like Tetsuya Nomura ended up being for Square.

The only reason people say he didn't create Mega Man is because people don't WANT to say he did, because at this point they think he's a hack and will use any evidence they can to discredit him. Kitamura may have done the base sprite, but it was done in black & white, on graph (pixel) paper. It was Inafune's decision (again) to make Mega Man blue, as he's said multiple times. It was ultimately his job to take Kitamura's sprite and translate it to the NES using the best colors available, which happened to be blue. And given he did all official artwork of the character and did designs for all of Mega Man's other sprites...yeah, it's fair to call him co-creator.
>>
where in the credits does it say "Kamiya was right"
>>
>>342919714
Doesn't fit his personality. Kamiya literally gives no fucks. He doesn't care if his games sell well or not; guy just wants to make fun games.
>>
>>342919545
hes always been more of an ideas guy as another anon said. Combined with being a good artist, it allowed him to work with ideas better when he was a producer. I mean, he made Dead Rising. he clearly has good ideas most of the time. I think MN9 is a bit of a perfect storm of conditions that resulted in it being so underwhelming, and Inafune isnt entirely to blame, if only for biting off more than he could chew as a first solo project
>>
>>342920432
I think it comes from the fact that for years noone really knew who Kitamura was because he left after 2. And I dont think we've heard from him since. So inafune was left and has been the single longest running influence on the franchise, even if he wasnt it's producer the whole time. Much like IGA became the face of Castlevania after SotN, Inafune became the public face of megaman for how closely tied to his creation and direction he was. From there, magazinb=es always credited him as"the father of megaman" in comparison to Dr Light, and Inafune always denied it, but people just assumed he was being humble.
>>
>>342922429
>And I dont think we've heard from him since.

Recently an interview from 2011 was translated. There's likely a few other Japanese only interviews out there if someone is willing to dig through Japanese material.

>So inafune was left and has been the single longest running influence on the franchise,

Tokuro Fujiwara was producer for 2-7, and X1-3. His influence was probably larger. Inafune didn't become series producer until 8 and X4. Inafune's influence was to push Zero into more of the forefront and turn him into the hero.
>>
File: 1396479907299.jpg (38 KB, 417x407) Image search: [Google]
1396479907299.jpg
38 KB, 417x407
>>342917240
Yeah hes been a hack from the get go. He just straight up jacked astro boy for megamans design and cant even think up some new shit after all these years and just jacks megamans design for beck.

Fuck off with this already, hes a scam man and a prime example why you fucks should stop putting individuals on a pedestal when its a team effort, especially with all the work involved in making games.
>>
>>342923031

He didn't design Mega Man. Kitamura did. Inafune did some of the animations (with several other people) and did the illustrations.
>>
>>342922429
Kitamura did two subsequent good platformers in the late '80s post-MM (Little Samson, I think one of them was called?) neither of which really took off, which was partially down to the company they were done under going bankrupt not long after when they put all their eggs into one basket with a high-budget Titantic game that subsequently tanked. He more or less left the videogame world after that.

Someone from the HG101 forums said that he's involved with the production of microchips or something now.
>>
>>342922860
hes still been a universal constant who co-created the character, and served as series artist for the original 6, as well as the early X series up till what, 2 or 3?

Fujiwara might have been involved in 2-7 and X1-3, but Inafune's been involved 1-8 in one capacity or another, and X1-4 in one capacity or another. usually as artist, but it seems like roles were pretty loose so he pushed some ideas too.
>>
File: 1465410039284.png (1 MB, 992x689) Image search: [Google]
1465410039284.png
1 MB, 992x689
http://www.strawpoll.me/10596784
>>
>>342922165
>I mean, he made Dead Rising.

WOULD YOU STOP CONFUSING PRODUCERS FOR DIRECTORS. Inafune didn't make shit. Maybe he okayed a project. Maybe he had some vague idea. Maybe any number of things. But the actual game was made by tons of other people.

It's even worse for people giving him credit for Soul Sacrifice. Comcept just did designs and artwork for the game, and it was made by another set of people.
>>
>>342917240
>sure someone else made megaman first, but inafune drew art based on something that already existed so that means he created it.

And Disney created splatoon, right?
>>
>>342923180
Ah yes so it was TEAM work
>>
>>342921231
>fun games

Don't be that guy. Kamiya hasn't made a truly fun game in fucking forever.
>>
>>342920432
>The only reason people say he didn't create Mega Man is because people don't WANT to say he did
I find it both funny and sad (but more the latter) that some people genuinely think like this.
Putting aside whether he's a hack or not, yes, the resulting Mighty No.9 leaves a lot to be desired.
But to these people, that somehow discredit everything he did BEFORE that, like it doesn't matter anymore.

>>342922165
>biting off more than he could chew
Over-ambitious is what I'd call him.
I mean, I would be too if my first game practically become the company's mascot, but he should at least be wary before attempting to build another empire.
>>
>>342923285
>who co-created the character,

He didn't. That's him trying to take credit from others.

Kitamura:
>made the name, story and setting
>created the design of Mega Man on graph paper
>created the in-game pixel art

Inafune:
>worked on animations for MM and other characters along with other artists
>designed a Elec Man
>did illustrations

He tries to spin doing the illustrations as "co-creator" which is BULLSHIT. MM's creation is pretty similar to other Famicom characters. You wouldn't say Nintendo's illustrator is "co-creator" of Zelda, or Mario right? And there's nothing creative about Inafune's drawings. MM has a very simple design.

Who is the creator of Mega Man? Kitamura. End of story.
>>
>>342923692
kitamura made a sprite. An NES sprite can be interpreted to look any which way on paper. Inafune is a pretty significant part of megaman's creation since his job was to take the sprites and give them a pencil and ink illustration.

that said, he's always denied creating megaman anyway. But back then noone believed him over here because lol those japanese and their wacky humble ways.
>>
>>342922165
The Lost Planet series was his brainchild as well, so the fact that he was quite happy to hang it out to dry and mistreat it completely during its latter years always struck me as quite strange.
>>
File: pixel vs art.png (468 KB, 1060x495) Image search: [Google]
pixel vs art.png
468 KB, 1060x495
>>342924320
>kitamura made a sprite. An NES sprite can be interpreted to look any which way on paper.

Why does this ONLY come up for Mega Man? Why can't I say the same thing about Mario, Link or any number of Famicom characters? Pixel art first is pretty standard for the era. Would you say that Nintendo's illustrators are in fact co-creator of Mario? Of course not.

And it's a really simple design. There's no interpretation going on in Inafune's art. Do you think that if he came back with something radically different than what kitamura envisioned they would have accepted that? And Kitamura mentions doing sketches of MM. Of course he would give them to Inafune before he did his illustrations.

If Inafune had died before MM1 was made they would have gotten another guy to do the illustrations and they would have looked the same.

A lot of people are still in denial that Inafune is not "Mr. Mega man" and he's not the creator.
>>
>>342924943
>Why does this ONLY come up for Mega Man?
because Megaman is the only one where it's specified that when inafune joined Megaman, he was given the character sprite by his mentor and told to make an illustration out of it.

usually, videogame characters are designed the opposite way.

that and Kitamura left Capcom after 2, so Inafune was basically the next best thing to a creator figure for the character.
>>
>>342924943
>A lot of people are still in denial that Inafune is not "Mr. Mega man" and he's not the creator.
nobody is fucking saying this.

But we are saying that he was involved in the creation of the character one way or another, and yes, he IS Mr Megaman, considering he's been it's public face since the 90's, much like IGA has been "Mr Castlevania" since the 90's.

do you have the autism?
>>
>>342925297
>by his mentor

For a mentor, he didn't seem to teach him shit.

>that and Kitamura left Capcom after 2, so Inafune was basically the next best thing to a creator figure for the character.

YOU CAN'T CREATE AFTER IT'S BEEN FUCKING CREATED!
>>
>>342925439
>But we are saying that he was involved in the creation of the character one way or another,

In a very minor way, along with several other people on the team.

>nobody is fucking saying this.

Everyone is saying he's "co-creator" which is just Inafune stealing credit to make himself more important than he is to the series.
>>
>>342925470
are you actually retarded

>Kitamura creates megaman sprite
>Kitamura gives sprite to inafune and tells him to make a Character illustration out of it
>Kitamura leaves Capcom
>time passes, "hey, we need a public face for the character"
>the guy who drew the first character image is left, gets chosen because of that
>proceeds to be a universal constant in the franchise as a whole

perhaps creator figure isnt the right word. Father figure would probably work better. but you'll probably sperg about that too
>>
File: lies.jpg (40 KB, 453x576) Image search: [Google]
lies.jpg
40 KB, 453x576
>>342925565
>which is just Inafune stealing credit to make himself more important than he is to the series.
>>
>>342925698

Inafune was series producer due to seniority. Everyone else from the MM1 team had left.

>>342925751

Inafune got 4 million because everyone thinks he created Mega Man. The myth that he's the creator is key to his continued success. He has been riding the coat tales of others for years.
>>
>>342925913
hes never actually claimed it though. He's in fact, actively denied it, saying the basic outline for the character was already done when he joined or something like that.

But he's undeniably been a father figure to the character and the franchise as a whole, and that alone carries weight. he's been involved in almost every single mainline game in the franchise. That isnt a myth, or coattails.
>>
So is the game good or not?
>>
>>342926149
>hes never actually claimed it though.

He's said he did "half the job of creating".

>he's been involved in almost every single mainline game in the franchise.

As illustrator or producer. He is not key to Mega Man's success and he's not a director. He'a s producer, illustrator and businessman.

MN9 has Inafune designs, and it's not very good.
>>
File: 1382115543140.gif (519 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1382115543140.gif
519 KB, 400x225
>>342923497
>ignoring Bayo2 and W101 because they're on a console you don't like
>>
>Inafune isn't the creator of Mega Man
>he is the creator of Beck

>>342926502

Bayonetta 2 was directed by someoen else.
>>
>>342917881
You know what, I was actually defending him at first too. But when he made that second Kickstarter when he hadn't even finished the first game, that's when I lost all faith in him. Especially when the kickstarter reached the goal, he revealed some other company was already funding it and he was just doing the kickstarter for extra $$$. That was a very shady stunt to pull.
>>
>>342926351
MN9? It's quite mediocre, though admittedly it's probably better than a lot of the latter-day X games.

So it's not distilled urine from the devil like disgruntled MM autists and bandwagoners here are claiming, but it's also not great (Or even particularly good) like a lot of contrarians would have you believe. I'd say it's worth 5-10 bucks when it has an inevitable price drop in the next couple of months.
>>
>>342926561
>MN9? It's quite mediocre, though admittedly it's probably better than a lot of the latter-day X games.

X8 is better. X7-X8 also just look better too.
>>
>>342926502
Kamiya only co-wrote Bayo 2, he didn't direct it.

>>342926549
Red Ash only got a little over half its funding goal, which is when they revealed that Chinese company were funding it because they wanted a version for that weird "Ouye" console.

Which is why Red Ash might actually be alright; Inafune isn't controlling the finances and answering to himself. Also there won't be 11 versions being developed right from the get-go.
>>
>>342926390
>He's said he did "half the job of creating".
where did he say this? curious
>>
>>342926761
I guess I am unfamiliar with how kickstarter works. If the kickstarter doesn't meet the goal, does that mean you do not receive any of the money you've made from the kickstarter?
>>
>>342926929

Red Ass looks like another disaster in the making. They have seemingly nothing to show for it after 2 years. They likely only started work in 2015 after MN9 finished. The Demo they gave out was clearly something they just threw together in a day.
>>
Wasn't Miyamoto an artist too back in the day when nintendo made Mario? I know h was involved in drawing the stages in Super Mario since they had to be drawn by hand but, Infanune didn't do the same thing?
>>
>>342926929

>During a special event at TGS 2007, Inafune commented on the creation of Mega Man. "I'm often called the father of Mega Man, but actually, his design was already created when I joined Capcom," he explained. "My mentor (Capcom senior member Akira Kitamura), who was the designer of the original Mega Man, had a basic concept of what Mega Man was supposed to look like. So I only did half of the job in creating him. I didn't get to completely design a Mega Man [protagonist] from scratch until Zero (Mega Man X, SNES). Back when the SNES was coming out, I was asked to give Mega Man a redesign, so I created this character. But I realized that this design wouldn't be accepted as Mega Man, so I had another designer create the new Mega Man, and I worked on Zero to release him as the 'other main character' that would steal all the good scenes!"[9]

Something could be lost in translation mind you.
>>
>>342927274
yeah that doesnt really sound like taking credit. its just whats already been discussed, he did the character artwork for the sprite kitamura made, and he didnt get to design an original protagonist until Zero (back when it was "Super Megaman")
>>
>>342927262

Miyamoto is an artist, just not a terribly good one. He created characters in pixel art, with the idea of giving them as much detail as you could with the limited resolution. But he's also a director and designer. He hasn't done any of that since Ocarina of time though (which had two other directors).
>>
>>342927083
>after 2 years
Red Ash hadn't even started development beyond concept art and planning stages when the kickstarter happened. Where the hell are you getting two years from?
>>
File: file.png (64 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
file.png
64 KB, 221x228
I wonder if MN9, since it seems to be so overwhelmingly negatively received, will see some sort of mods made to the game in an attempt to "fix" it. Then again, it's also an >Unreal Engine 3 game, which is by default locked down to prevent any form of tampering.
>>
>>342917720
>>342919545
>>342917240

I think he's a great game artist with charming artwork. I really like the classic art he draws with shit like his original Zero design and >>342917720 being some of my favorites.

That's the thing though. He should have just stayed an artist. Anyone that says otherwise just doesn't know any better or REALLY liked Dead Rising or Soul Sacrifice, I guess.

>nigga was in some random VN called Sweet Fuse as your uncle or w.e. was literally himself in the game
>some shitty eshop game with trucks and insects who gives a shit
>Azure Striker Borevolt

Is there anything aside from nice classic artwork that this man deserves praise for? No.
>>
>>342927262
>>342927594

Miyamoto is a ideas guy that they keep around. He's a valuable asset to nintendo and this has been stated through the companies actions time and time again.

Remember Wii Music? Cool. Not even nintendo does. Miyamoto can mess up and everything be a-ok. Not many other people in the industry have that liberty.
>>
File: hmmm.png (120 KB, 692x510) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
120 KB, 692x510
>>342928505
>Unreal Engine 3 game, which is by default locked down to prevent any form of tampering.

well they aint doin a very good job then
>>
>>342928842
He helped flesh out what Onimusha eventually ended up being with Yoshiki Okamoto, which I guess partially explains why he took it so personally when Okamoto left Capcom and did Genji (Though it does make him a bit of a hypocrite, considering he's now doing not-Megaman).
>>
>>342929372
so what am i looking at here?
>>
>>342917240
Nobody gives a fuck
>>
>>342917240
You got this from that /vr/ thread that isn't getting replies. Fuck you, at least use some original material for shitposting
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.