[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vayne Solidor Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Final_Fantasy_XII-Vayne_Solidor.png (889 KB, 537x768) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_XII-Vayne_Solidor.png
889 KB, 537x768
Official thread to discuss the best antagonist in any video game ever
>>
>>342901591
who?
>>
I played FF12 but never got too far, always stopped at about the 30 hour mark. What made him so great? I never really cared for any FF antagonist now that I'm thinking about it, excpt for Delita I guess.
>>
>>342901591

Pretty good villain, I agree. Also has BADASS final boss music. Definitely not the best ever though.
>>
>>342901591
This game dropped the ball hard with its theme. What makes Ashe different than Vayne? Don't they both want to free humanity from the control of the Occurians? How come he gets painted as a bad guy while she doesn't? Shouldn't Larsa be the bad guy, since he's actively pushing for Dalamascan independence by siding with the Occurians? This game had a good theme but it was too heavy handed in trying to represent it. Maybe not be so black and white next time, Square. That's why 13 has an overall better narrative.
>>
>>342901591
>He literally does not know the party exists until the ending.

Not that that's required for an antagonistic character. His ideals clash with those of the party which is what makes him the "enemy". But still Vayne never really comes off as anything other than, "That guy who's sorta supposed to the be the bad guy of the story". When the Occuria are probably worse.
>>
>>342903169
Why are you complaining about the game being too morally grey when it comes to the protagonist's actions against the antagonist's, then say that Square should not be so black and white?
>>
I always thought there was something shady with his development. When you initially play through the game, it seems as if though Vayne does everything for the benefit of Archades and Larsa. I think that he intentionally played the role of Megalomaniac just to set up Larsa as the new ruler. Vayne could have easily disposed of Larsa, considering he was his only political rival, but for some reason he doesn't.

It seemed to me like he would've been the Gabranth of FF12 (tragic hero) but the production team changed narrative for some reason (maybe somebody quit) and turned him into the villain during the last battle. Everything about the ending sequence goes against the plot from what we had up to that point. He goes from a cunning politician, who is seemingly looking out for the greater good, to a reckless, power hungry god complex. He basically turns into Kefka in a single cutscene. The whole thing just seemed rushed to me and my guess is that the original plan from the production team was scrapped for whatever reason.
>>
>>342903169
>That's why 13 has an overall better narrative.
>Final boss wants the party to kill them
>Party acts like they're fighting fate by doing exactly what the final boss wants
>They have no plan for what to do when the kill the final boss, which they know will cause the planet to fall
>>
>>342905909

>FF13
>Final Boss wants the party to kill them
>fights back

I never understood that at all. I get that every game needs a Final Boss that tries to kill you but that literally made no sense whatsoever
>>
>>342901591
Emperor Palpatine combined with a Stallion
>>
>>342906402
He fights back because he has to. Not because he wants to.
>>
>final boss
>literally doesn't even know who you are
>first thing he says when you meet him is "who are you"
>>
Man. I do not remember the story of this game at all. I'm ready for the HD remaster.
>>
>>342903169
Ashe wanted to restore the kingdom of Dalmasca while Vayne wanted to conquer the world. I don't think the game made him seem evil, just that he was not going to allow Dalmasca to exist.

Ashe also didn't really want to free humanity from the Occurians. She kinda arrives at that decision impulsively.
>>
Why does the FF series suck so much at naming characters?
>>
>>342909085
It's just simple names so people can remember the characters better.
>>
>>342909585

Nah, plenty of other series have simple names. Plus in Japan, using English words with Katakana isn't gonna make it that easy.

The writers of Final Fantasy seem to make a conscious effort to take English words that aren't names and make them into character names. Which isn't exactly bad...just kind of odd. It would be like watching a new detective show and everyone was named Bucket, Pig, Shoe and Acorn.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.