[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /v/. Is emulating the N64 version of Ocarina of Time/Majoras
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
Sup /v/. Is emulating the N64 version of Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask better than emulating pic related on dolphin? Or is buying the 3D remakes the best option
>>
>>342877483
Stay away from the remakes. The originals are best.
>>
>>342877483
Don't know how emulation of this would go but I have the physical version and it is absolutely laggy.

I recommend either getting a N64 and a cartridge, setting up Wii Virtual Console, or emulating the Oot/Masterquest version.
>>
Do not get the 3ds one unless you are a gigantic faggot retard.
>>
>>342877483
Just emulate the 64 versions. I'm not sure if emulating that is still buggy since 5.0 has come out but it certainly was before.
>>
you can pirate the 3d remakes if you're a faggot like me
>>
>>342877483
Is it prohibitively expensive to pick up a cart of this and a 64 now?
>>
>>342877912
What's wrong with the 3ds one?
>>
Are the remakes that bad? I emulated both versions and the n64 version seems better than the GC version, regardless of 5.0
>>
>>342878049
shit new models and animation, new lightning is too bright, new textures don't fit in. only plus is that changing boots is easier.
>>
what's a good n64 emulator to play OOT and MM? Or should I emulate the collector's edition on Dolphin?
>>
>>342878304
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_64_emulators
>>
>>342877483
MM freezes all the time on this collector's edition thing, even on console.
>>
>>342877483
Majora's Mask has audio issues on Gamecube. Don't know if Dolphin fixes it
>>
>>342878154
No. The pros far outweight the cons, which are just minor alterations to some dungeons and text or some shit. The only people that have major are issues that pull the "this thing caused by the limits of the console at the time is supposed to symbolic" retardation card. The steadier framerate and better lighting alone is enough to make at least OoT superior on the 3DS.
>>
>>342877483

the 3D things are not remakes, just tweaked versions like wind wanker HD, they do not overwrite the originals and they do not represent the ultimate version of the games, featuring improved models but poor animations, worse lighting and small quality of life changes that you can survive without

nintendo 64 emulation is easier on the hardware but harder to render pefectly

dolphin is harder on the hardware but easier to render so it has less artifacts in general
>>
>>342877483
Remakes are generally bad excluding master quest for oot.
Dolphin requires more to run than the n64 emulator so it probably runs smoother on there too.
recommend n64 versions.
>>
>>342878049

they updated only select things making the old assets stick out like sore thumbs, the lighting got downgraded since it's on a fucking handheld with a shit screen and the animations are fucking stupid, the only upside is the higher framerate but you can get used to the original
>>
>>342878304
Project64, just find a version without malware.
>>
Someone post those comparison screens of the original and 3ds ganon fights I saw the other day that made me physically ill for about 3 seconds straight.

It looked so fucking awful on that 3ds remake side, jesus.
>>
>>342877751
Whats so bad about the remakes? Theyre not the same?
>>
I wish /vr/ would leave and go back to their retro games collection.
>>
>>342877483

Emulating the N64 versions is superior.

Stay away from MM3D; but OoT3D is acceptable instead.
>>
>>342879086

The OoT remake is faithful, hardly changed at all besides the graphics overhaul.

The MM remake changes a bunch of mechanics and isn't great.
>>
>>342878905
Stop being a baby, they can't have the scenario being that dark in a handheld. You can always play the original, the remake improved everything important.
>>
>>342877483
No. Emulate the Collector's Edition on Dolphin. It runs perfectly. You can even run it at 30 or 60 FPS if you want to (with some bugs). There's a great HD texture pack on the Dolphin forums too.

N64 emulation is shit, I recommend going with Dolphin.
>>
OP here, thanks for the info bros
>>
Remakes>Originals>Gamecube ports
>>
>>342879713
>they can't have the scenario being that dark in a handheld
It's not just because it's a handheld, it's because dark lighting screws up the 3D
>>
>>342877483
The GC port is literally the N64 original, run with official emulation, with the most censorship out there.

Just emulate the N64 1.0 original.
>>
>>342878049
Neo-Nintendo ruined the game by making it bright and kiddy and colorful in order to appeal to babies and little kids
>>
>>342878304
Project 64 1.6 has worked just great for me the past 10 or so years.

Stick to 640x480 resolution, or its multiples, and enable the "Use Legacy Pixel Pipeline".
>>
>>342877483
N64 emulation is shit, use dolphin.
>>
>>342879086
-censorship
-casualization
-fucked art style & atmosphere
>>
Play on 3DS
>>
>>342880068
>with the most censorship out there.
What. What did they censor?
>>
>>342880921
all of the overt references to islam (the star and crescent and arab style chanting in the fire temple). These were already removed in the later prints for n64
>>
>>342877751

Bullshit. This is just nostalgia talking.

OoT 3D is the definitive version of the game.

-better graphics
-better controls
-makes everything smoother and without having to pause all the time
>>
>>342877878
>he doesnt know
The n64 version is laggy too anon
>>
File: Tree MM3D.jpg (169 KB, 900x240) Image search: [Google]
Tree MM3D.jpg
169 KB, 900x240
>>342879086

Don't listen to them, the MM remake is an improvement.
>>
>>342878678
>im an idiot

Only the GC collection and 3d remake are woth playing for OoT.

If it doesnt have master quest its not worth it.

>tfw no other zelda will have a second quest/master quest again
>>
>>342882782

You're a fucking faggot and should go kill yourself.
>>
>>342882984

BAWW. THEY CHANGED THINGS FROM THE VERSION I'M USED TO. IF YOU LIKE THESE CHANGES YOU'RE A FAGGOT!
>>
>>342880921
Red blood, Fire Temple chanting, islamic-like Gerudo symbols.

>>342882007
>Bullshit. This is just nostalgia talking.
No, it's not. I play N64 original almost yearly, and also own the GC and 3DS versions. The original is the best, period.
>>
>>342882984
>wahh he likes thing I don like

Its better in every way and best played on a new 3ds.
>playing zelda without 2 analog inputs in 2016
>>
File: 1459617424395.png (2 MB, 1500x1094) Image search: [Google]
1459617424395.png
2 MB, 1500x1094
You can't go wrong with either the Master Quest disk or OoT3D for Ocarina of Time. Both are "O" sign quality masterpieces *kisses fingers.

However, Majora's Mask, stay far far away from the Collector's Edition. It was made to run on an N64, without the Expansion Pak. Picture a nuclear reactor with an unstable melted core. You think you've got it under control, but eventually no matter how hard you try the game is going to crash.

They put a warning on the stat up screen for a reason. When Nintendo swindles you, at least they let you know what you're in for.
>>
>>342883317
How about Majora's Mask on the Gamecube? Is that censored too?
>>
>>342883521

It's very prone to crashing. It's pretty bad.
>>
>>342877483
I imagine that version would be sketchy on dolphin. It was not a port but an emulation and had a few issues because of it. Majoras mask for example had some weird sound issues.

So yeah you would literally be emulating a gamecube thats emulating an n64 game.
>>
If I want to play these games on my hacked wii should I run them through wii64 or just play the GC version through nintendont?
>>
>>342884438
aren't there wads? afaik OoT and MM have booth been released on eshoppe, and some time ago there was a fixed MM wad floating around. it changed the torches back to how they originally looked like for example.
>>
>>342884808
I'm not sure. I only have nintendont set up. I downloaded the stuff for the wii64 but didn't do anything with it because I wasn't sure how stable it was
>>
>>342877483
Ocarina of Time ported on the game cube runs fine, but stay away from Majora's Mask ported onto the game cube. That game is prone to freeze at so many different parts it's ridiculous. If you're not a fag who cares about dark colors then OoT on the 3DS is an improvement in almost all regards, MM on the 3DS is also an improvement in all regards, some people don't like it because they over hauled the saving system which made the game much less tedious but at the same time removed the challenge of not fucking anything up or else you have to restart the three day cycle.

Basically if you're going to emulate go with the N64 versions, if you don't mind spending dosh then the 3DS versions are great as well.
>>
>>342877483
Remakes for the sole reason of gyroscope aiming
Also water temple boots
>>
>>342879720
Is the gamecube version 30fps by default? Or still 17fps like the 64 version?
>>
>>342889307
It's still 17/20 FPS by default.
>>
>>342889307
i'm not sure whether it is 30 fps by default, but i am pretty sure that it can only be 17 fps or, to be precise, 16,6666....fps, if you play the pal version.
>>
Did you guys actually play the original games, really play them from start to finish? Praising the 3DS versions feels like you maybe tried them when you were younger but couldn't get into it and the updated controls have allowed you to finally enjoy them.

>>342883389
>Its better in every way and best played on a new 3ds.
>>playing zelda without 2 analog inputs in 2016
Jesus fucking Christ.

The super cleaned up models and much brighter environments and cutscenes completely change the atmosphere the game had, the feeling the visuals invoked.

I expect replies like "muh atmosphere," I don't know if that kind of mindset is just a troll or if you really don't understand what the word means in regard to a video game
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.