[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reggie on Zelda/East vs West
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: 7289508728.jpg (12 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
7289508728.jpg
12 KB, 320x320
"We think we’ve struck a chord and we’ve struck a chord with what is a very important franchise for us. A franchise that is going to be key to our long-term success. The Zelda formula is well-known. You continue down a path, you battle in a dungeon, you get an item, you’re going to need that item for the next dungeon, and so forth. We think that for today’s player… that formula potentially needed to be upended — that we needed to introduce new elements in order to bring new players in. But we needed to do it thoughtfully in order to maintain the current player.”

"Behaviorally, the Japanese home market and the West, aren’t so different that the tastes are fundamentally polar. A great example of this is Splatoon. [An online multiplayer shooter is] something that you would associate with the West, and yet in Japan the amount of players playing Splatoon, the amount of games sold relative to the install base of Wii U, is better than the US performance. It all comes down to this: is it fun? Is it compelling? Is it unique? Does it provide something to the player that they really relate to?”

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/16/11951730/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-reggie-fils-aime-interview-e3-2016
>>
Reggie is a fag.
>>
>>342872458
Captivating commentary.
>>
>>342872153
I honestly can't think of a single negative thing Reggie has ever said. I love the man.
>>
>>342873247
You realize everything wrong with NoA is entirely Reggie's fault right?

He's so fucking clueless and needs to be replaced immediately.
>>
>>342873672
Is Mother 3 your favorite game by any chance?
>>
>>342873247
Atlus mentioned officially that the decision to censor #FE, despite fanservice being one of its primary draws, was an order from him and the other NoA higher ups.
>>
>>342873247
I think he was an incredibly smart decision on the company's part. His views on the industry are always insightful, and I think he understands that Nintendo needs to keep innovating and evolving even if the market is becoming profitable through stagnation. Plus he's been a hit from a PR perspective ever since his debut.
>>
>>342872458
He appeared on fucking Game Theory
>>
>>342872153

>we needed to introduce new elements in order to bring new players in. But we needed to do it thoughtfully in order to maintain the current player.”
>which is why we added in a bunch of things from genres that are already oversaturated, and half-assed them as well (pop-in from a 2016 working title? seriously?)
>>
>>342873672
um, how so? hes just their marketing guy. and hes pretty good at his job. I dont get the exaggerated reggie fanboyism some people seem to have, but I dont get the hate either; he's a marketing ceo, and he's doing his job and hes very competent at it, though he often has to fight his higher ups from japan on it. but hes not your personal gamer friend, I get the impression he probably doesnt care very much about games at all - that was Iwata, the actual passionate gamer type personality us /v/ dwellers can personally relate to - but to say hes bad at his job would be a definite misjudgement, imo
>>
>>342874580
If he was so good at this job why didn't they market the Wii U better in North America?
>>
>>342874737
theres limits to what marketing can do for what in the end is just an unattractive product; in the end, he has to play with the hand he got dealt
heres the impression I got, for instance: the really good showing, in spite of all things, that nintendo had back at e3 2014, where they also first went all-in on the treehouse stuff - up to and including the subtle nod to the luigi death stare - I cant put my finger on it but I *think* thats the kind of stuff that, ultimately, has the appearance of reggie's handwriting, for instance
quite obviously though he's not involved in product development or the planning of which games get made or released when so he was just SOL on that
>>
>>342872153
>THEY'RE NOT POLAR OPPOSITES
>HERE LET ME LIST THIS EXAMPLE OF NICHE WEEBSHIT WHERE OTAKUS AND WEEABOOS BOTH PLAY IT

Yeah, no. Actually looking at decent sales figures and trends for the legitimate majority of the West, it's very different from the East without question.
>>
>>342874737
This is an excellent question. I saw ads and commercials everywhere for the Wii but when the Wii U came out there was fucking nothing outside of already gaming-centric media.
>>
>>342872153
He's right. They've essentially struck gold twice and can now restart the franchise in a way. With this new open world format, its all too easy to just do the same thing now but in different settings.

I'd like to see a fully realized Wind Waker sequel now that the power to actually connect the different locations is available.
>>
>>342875263
Splatoon isn't weebshit, it's a cartoon shooter and his point is spot on/
>>
>>342875263
You're just making generalizations, and looking at the numbers Splatoon pulled in I'd hardly call it "niche". Even if you were right, the fact that there's a demographic for it in both Japan and overseas only strengthens his point, not yours.
>>
File: 1395364728992.png (10 KB, 322x386) Image search: [Google]
1395364728992.png
10 KB, 322x386
>>342872153
When will we get a new president for NoA? Someone who doesn't cuckify the localizations and doesn't say retarded shit in interviews.
>>
>>342875892
Niche compared to legitimate games from consoles that don't flop fucking hardcore.

Just a reason people finally got to blow dust off the WiiU. Funny how Nintenyearolds went from blowing the dust out of their cartridges to the dust off their flopped consoles.

>>342875835
Yeah, that's why it has no gameplay but features a bunch of little girls in revealing clothing like the rest of your weebtrash right?
>>
>>342876571
You're being a shitter for no reason man. If you hate the game, that's fine.
>>
>>342876571
One reply, coming right up.
>>
>>342872153
>"Behaviorally, the Japanese home market and the West, aren’t so different that the tastes are fundamentally polar.

He's clearly wrong about that. Series like Metroid, Zelda and Fire Emblem sell far better in the West compared to Japan. Splatoon is only just one example of a game winning over both sides. What Japan and the West likes is kinda polar.
>>
>>342874132
>>342872458
>>
>>342874516
>m-m-muh grafix
>I can't actually critique the core gameplay because it's fanfuckingtastic

never change, neo-/v/
>>
File: 1460804388087.png (228 KB, 358x408) Image search: [Google]
1460804388087.png
228 KB, 358x408
>>342877098
Whose post are you trying to refer the other to? Is Reggie a fag or not?
>>
Every time Reggie talks it's always the same thing. A man who knows nothing about games spouting bullshit PR because he has to. I don't care what he has to say because Nintendos games have gone down hill for a while now. Some franchises get good or ok games, but many have just been shat on in what seems like some kind of backwards internal attempt to kill off some franchises and whittle down their "profitable" IPs to the ones they can more easily churn out with little effort.

Fuck Reggie, fuck Nintendo, and fuck anyone who still supports this pile of shit company.
>>
>>342878201
They aren't more offensive than any other company in the industry. If you hate them with a passion, you'd better stop handing your dollars over to their competition, because nobody has your best interest in mind.
>>
File: Bait Paper.png (241 KB, 422x316) Image search: [Google]
Bait Paper.png
241 KB, 422x316
>>342878201
>>
>>342878781
How many other companies have shit on or fucked up 80% of their franchises that actually used to be good? If anything Nintendo is the biggest offender because before they went batshit crazy they had some semblance of quality. Now they do things like everyone else. Balancing a shitty effort:profit ratio equation to maximize money while making games Nintendo of the 80s and 90s would be ashamed of.

>>342878880
Post meme images all you want, but it's the truth.
>>
Splatoon is a bright, colorful, "non-violent" shootan. Japanese don't like gorey games so a cartoonish shooter is great for them. The west is full of CAWADOODY babies who only like GRITTY, DESATURATED, "REALISTIC" SHOOTANS where US marine man is always big damn hero.

anyway Nintendo of America censors everything so fuck them
>>
>>342872458
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaW3jwKecQA

Nah, he's a pretty cool guy.
>>
>>342872153
fuck off reggie
>>
>>342873672
>Iwata was literally the head of NoA and NoJ
>ITS ALL REGGIE
you don't even talking about and yet you're so mad
>>
>>342872153
Reggie is an old meme which is the only reason they keep him around, NoA doesn't really seem in touch with their audience.
>>
>>342880609
>How many other companies have shit on or fucked up 80% of their franchises that actually used to be good?
Square? Sega? Capcom? Ubisoft? Bioware? How many do you want me to list?

Anyway, Nintendo, just like always, puts out some of the most polished and overall quality titles out of everyone in the medium. Very rarely do they release anything that could be reflected on as a disaster, or even a misstep. To say they "do things like everyone else" is almost funny, since it's the very antithesis to their ideology. They don't release half-baked sequels to games on an annual basis. They don't bloat games with cutscenes so they only have to program 4 hours of gameplay. They continue to be the ONLY hardware manufacturer interested in taking risks and attempting to innovate stale, stagnant video game experience.

I'm not telling you to like them; not every game in the last few years has been great, and some of their practices are absolutely questionable. But to say they're worse than any other company in this greedy anti-consumer shitheap industry is an odd proclamation.
>>
>>342881956
Other M blows your entire drone rant to shit.
>>
>>342883192
One bad game? That was co-developed by another company? Hardly.
>>
File: cat.jpg (47 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
47 KB, 540x405
>>
>>342883356
Fed Force
Sticker Star
Star Fox Zero
Sticker Star 2: Electric Wii U-aloo
>>
>>342884079
half of these aren't out

meme harder
>>
>>342884079
And so these games alone make Nintendo worse than those five other companies combined?
>>
>>342884079
>Fed Force
B-b-but you haven't played that yet
>>
>>342884079
SFZ was good though
>>
>>342884079
I really don't know what you're getting at. I never said Nintendo was perfect; I only said they consistently released quality titles. Even in trying to cherrypick the mediocre ones, you couldn't even list four without resorting to unreleased content. But if you really want to take a stroll down this pointless argument, let's plat a game. Every time you list a bad Nintendo game, I'll list a good one. Let's see who runs out first.

Splatoon
Pikmin 3
Mario Kart 8
Link Between Worlds
>>
>>342872153

who the fuck doesn't relate to lolis in 2016
>>
>>342874580
>and hes pretty good at his job.

yeah the Wii U was marketed perfectly, especially the naming decision ;^)
>>
>>342884979
Smash 4
Chibi Robo Whiplash
Nintendogs
STEAM
Fire Emblem: Burka of Murrica
Skyward Sword
Badge Arcade (please defend f2p, please)
>>
>>342886437
I'd ask how you could possibly perceive games like Smash 4, Nintendogs and Fire Emblem as "bad", but I'm sure it would only serve to give me a headache. Also, Codename S.T.E.A.M. was developed by Intelligent Systems and Badge Arcade doesn't doesn't even qualify as a game, nor does it pretend to.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pokken Tournament
Super Mario 3D World
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
DK: Tropical Freeze
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Yoshi's Wooly World
>>
>>342886437
>Nintendogs
What was bad about that? I sunk like a hundred hours into the DS games
>>
>>342874083
normally I would be upset but since atlus lied about the crossover in the first place I'm willing to let that slide
>>
>>342887693
>Uprising
>good
Sakurai dicksuckers everywhere.
>>
>>342887693
>Also, Codename S.T.E.A.M. was developed by Intelligent Systems
And? You listed games by HAL and Sora.
>>
>>342874459
no fucking way, post the vid
>>
File: Reggie wasn't ready.png (123 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
Reggie wasn't ready.png
123 KB, 500x442
>>342872153
Any excuse to post this
>>
File: count the number of cancer.png (731 KB, 863x602) Image search: [Google]
count the number of cancer.png
731 KB, 863x602
oh god what the fuck
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.