[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Some news on the lore of No Man's Sky. http://www.ign.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 18
File: NMS.jpg (382 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
NMS.jpg
382 KB, 1024x682
Some news on the lore of No Man's Sky.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/24/no-mans-sky-developer-making-final-push-for-release
>We don't want to make a story, Be we do want to have a lore

All though it wont have the features a lot of people want like building structures, Larger online capabilities or ect ect (because who knows how long that shit would take to make fully functional in a game like this).

The game's main focus is purely on exploration. To keep going forward all on your own with out any guides or linear setting that you are stuck to. Where you are alone left to discover information about the entire lore waiting for you to discover.

Which sounds great, But this is what people are probably going to bitch about.
Most AAA games do a lot of hand holding anymore and i think that's what might turn off a lot of average 'gamurs' (Talking about people who love COD, QTE simulations Or straight up Videogames that are literally Movies/TV Dramas)

Knowing that, Does this turn you away for the game or make you more excited for it?
>>
this game sounds gay as fuck famalams
>>
>>342871112
One more delay and I'm out. Fuck the dev. Hire employees for fucks sake.
>>
>>342871353
the only reason they delayed it is because of the legal issues

that's why it was 2 months, to ensure that all of it would be dealt with by then
>>
>>342871112
I still don't know what I'm supposed to do on this game besides looking at pretty planets and shooting the occasional bad guy.
>>
File: 1317957452428s.jpg (2 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1317957452428s.jpg
2 KB, 126x126
>>342871353
>One more delay and I'm out.

Yeah because obviously having 'patience' is a lot of demanding work.
>>
>>342871638
then you are as retarded as they come

there's plenty of info to go around, so this meme doesn't even have validity anymore
>>
File: 1289439928570.png (232 KB, 341x341) Image search: [Google]
1289439928570.png
232 KB, 341x341
>>342871638
Op here, That's what im talking about.

It's a game about exploration, That's what you fuckin do man. Why does everyone need objectives.
>>
>>342871112
Hype super died out with that 2 month delay. I guess I'm glad it was for legal reasons and not something really stupid, so I might check it out once it releases.
>>
>>342872206
They don't need objectives, they need to be engaged. Exploration for the sake of exploration doesn't do that for a lot of people
>>
>>342871112
>It wont have the features a lot of people want like building structures or multiplayer.

Fixed this part for you.
>>
I want to like this game but what the fuck do you do apart from exploration? Becasue that alone isnt worth $60.
>>
File: no mans sky features.jpg (583 KB, 2500x1000) Image search: [Google]
no mans sky features.jpg
583 KB, 2500x1000
>>342871112
Stop shilling this shit.
>>
>>342872770
That's it really I guess. I haven't heard anything else. Just explore and head towards the galactic core because...reasons?
>>
>>342871638
Be prepared for these responses:
>nice meme
>there's plenty to do, just google it
>just go watch some youtube videos
>why do you care about quests, lore, story, character interactions, playing with friends, fighting bosses?
>ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES, LITERALLY

I don't know, either.
>>
Willing to give it a shot if it comes out on PC.
>>
>>342872108
Enlighten me, anon. I saw some videos showing combat, exploration, trading, whatever. But I still don't see the purpose in any of that.

>>342872206
>>342872393
Yeah, this. If the lore is well written and has a good presentation it might be one thing.
>>
>>342873179
I've started thinking I might pick it up a year from now at the next summer sale if it's 50%+ off.

Maybe if it does well, there might be some kind of P2P co-op similar to Borderlands 2 added as dlc/an expansion by then.
>>
>>342873629
This is the kind of game that is all but guaranteed to drop quickly in price. It has all the hallmarks.
>no-name dev studio handling it
>summer release
>"wait and see why it's so good" attitude from the devs and fans alike
>delayed several times, indicating troubling development
>single player

Wait.
>>
File: 1404221649058.gif (2 MB, 176x144) Image search: [Google]
1404221649058.gif
2 MB, 176x144
>charging 60 bucks for an procedurally generated indie game
>>
>>342873318
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/

It looks like a game that's technically impressive and perhaps fun to waste 6-8 hours in, but I can't see it being fun for a longer period of time.
Perhaps I'm wrong and it's still fun once you've visited 10 planets, but I doubt it. I hope it'll turn out more rogue-like than exploration.
It's definitely not a game I'd buy at launch.
>>
>>342871112
>Does this turn you away for the game or make you more excited for it
excited pretty much
>>
>>342871112
>Does this turn you away for the game or make you more excited for it
As if this piece of shit couldn't disappoint me more it just did.

>>342873971
>rogue-like
>more than exploration
hell no
>>
>>342871112
cautiously optimistic
>>
Hey guys you can already play this game. It's called Space Engine.
>>
>>342874252
>being optimistic about anything, ever
>>
its elite: dangerous with pastel filters
>>
>>342874252
>this shitty meme
>>
>>342874492
it'll have more content than e:d does though
>>
>>342871112
>The game's main focus is purely on exploration. To keep going forward all on your own with out any guides or linear setting that you are stuck to. Where you are alone left to discover information about the entire lore waiting for you to discover.

sounds good, but i will wait fore release
>>
>>342873014
this is so accurate it hurts
>>
>>342874674
>implying it wont be another Spore
>>
>"lore"
the problem with MUH GORILLION PLANETS is that you can't make any of them interesting and deep because you can't focus on just one or two

this is an extremely boring model for an exploration game. Skyrim was huge but there was fuck-all interesting to do. Now put that in an INFINITE SCALE and realistically you'll have some slight randomness to make it feel different while pretty much everything is more or less the same. You'll probably grow bored in couple of hours of gametime

And for that reason, I'm out
>>
>>342872206
Exploration doesn't really mean shit. You can explore Minecraft for a million hours too. Does that mean you're going to want to? Fuck no. Besides the vague point of exploration what does it have substantive?
>>
File: 1464966523612trolluhurr.jpg (18 KB, 400x408) Image search: [Google]
1464966523612trolluhurr.jpg
18 KB, 400x408
>>342871353
I'm expecting another three year delay due to the UK leaving the EU
>>
>>342874961
Even with a game world that's a galaxy you could make it work. Skyrim had the couriers that directed your attention to important stuff you otherwise might have missed.

You pick up a transmission that leads to some npc ship in trouble, which leads to a specific planet or something. It wouldn't have to be a set planet necessarily, just some prefab structure the game could generate on any planet really.
>>
>>342875640
yeah and then it turns into "this game has X amount of pre-set events, float around until you find all of them" which is plain boring

name me one game where GORILLION SOMETHING has worked to its advantage
>>
>>342873346
>But I still don't see the purpose in any of that.

I wrote up a post that tl;dr'd the whole gameplay loop of it but I can't find it now

The gist is you are trying to get to the center of the universe. But to do that, you need a ship that can warp long enough distances to hop from system to system to get there, so you need resources to build that type of ship

additionally, planets have various sorts of atmospheres that could be hazaordous to you, or the tempature could be too extreme, so you'll need a suit that can withstand all of that to survive the trip there

on top of that, you'll need the right type of scanning tool to identify and mine the resources you need to build both of those things, and to fend off hostile wildlife

so, the gameplay loop is you hopping from planet to planet, or trading/doing missions for factions, to get the resources to eventually get better and better ships, suits, and miningtool/sweapons to be able to make the trip/

The game has it's own fictional table of elemtns planet's atmosphers and resources are made from that are what you use to build your ship, as well, which is what determines if the atmosphere or hazardhous or if a particular planet is abdundent in that resource or not, and so on'

tl;dr, if you've seen the new stuff about the new zelda game, it's like that, but in first person
>>
>>342875640
Really weak argument. "Could work" doesn't mean shit. And Skyrim was boring.
>>
>>342873014
>Someone was mad enough to make this

Damn this game will be GOTY
>>
>>342874961
>Im more so wondering how many duplicate "Lore" tablets we're going to find on all these planets.
>>
>no multiplayer
Dead on arrival.
>>
>>342875963
Noctis?
>>
>>342875427
Some people want to do that, and do.
This game is for those people.
>>
>>342876339
So its better than nothing essentially? At least its not Minecraft? Why hype such a shit game then.
>>
I'll buy the game and probably have a good amount of fun, might make a special folder to save screenshots and occassionally post them on /v/

All the hate I've seen about the game is just shitposting and the people spamming "Blue planet red sky green dino" for years are way more autistic than people who just want a space game with interesting planets. People often bring up SE but it's shit at ground level
>>
File: 1427461473237.jpg (552 KB, 1234x1024) Image search: [Google]
1427461473237.jpg
552 KB, 1234x1024
>>342875634
Which will probably take years.
Kinda funny how "Stay"-politicians want to finish the whole thing as fast as possible while "Leave"-politicians are suddenly silent.

It's like nobody expected that "Leave" would win
>>
>>342875963
My point was just that if you wanted to focus on a specific planet for story telling reasons you could put in a such a system so the player learns about it.

I don't know what a good solution is when the game world is an entire galaxy. Elite: Dangerous infuriates me because they've been fucking teasing that there's story/lore stuff outside the inhabited bubble all along, but the odds of someone stumbling across it is literally astronomically small.
>>
>>342872393
>>342872206
I love exploration. Love it. It is my #1 favorite thing to do in vidya.

That said, exploring procedurally generated planets with procedurally generated beings seems incredibly boring. How many permutations can there really be? My guess is not fucking many. Once you start seeing similar shit, interest takes a nosedive and boredom sets in. I can't imagine the game being interesting for as long as the dev keeps suggesting.
>>
>>342876072
Yea someone made it to get the concept of procedural generation's monotony through the thick skulls of people like you who have actually think they'll want to explore this game for more than 4 hours let alone 87 BAZINGA-ILLION YEARS.
>>
>>342876862
Doesn't NMS work with a system that stretches and modify shapes to create something, rather than a simple "lego" type of generation where everything's fixed? From that point, isn't it also possible to make sure similar planets aren't likely to be close to each other so the samey feeling you could get is diluted?
>>
>>342876908
Hey man, I don't criticize, I hope your special teacher complimented you on thoses drawing skills.
>>
To me, exploration is only fun when there are actually things to find. I doubt a procedurally generated universe is going to scratch that itch.

I will be keeping an eye on it though in case it's good.
>>
>>342871112
Depends. I love lore and the like, but lore without substance is vain and boring.

Destiny is a game who's lore was very interesting, set in a really nice in-game universe that had plenty to offer. But many people were dissatisfied with the way the campaign basically ignored much of it's own lore. Bungie took the time and improved on game content with it's DLC. But it still has alot of room for growth.

No Man's Sky won't have a chance like this if both the game and lore miss the mark. As a matter of fact, I haven't seem anything interesting in the trailers that have to do with lore at all. As of right now, the only thing interesting to me is the mystery of "What is at the center of the universe?", and I don't need to play/buy the game to figure that out.
>>
Diablo 3 has a system that creates infinite amounts of different rifts, you could think of them as planets

Imagine those rifts, but without the mobs. And you're not playing a hero, you're just a dude with no abilities. There are no levels, there's no other content, you just go from rift to rift exploring them

that's about how much variance and how exciting no mans sky will be. Anyone with a half a brain understand the technical limitations and why nothing with infinite amounts of anything as the core of the game will ever work
>>
>>342877763
>Imagine those rifts, but without the mobs. And you're not playing a hero, you're just a dude with no abilities. There are no levels, there's no other content
Source on all of that?
>>
Anyone else think if they gave the option for a third person view, it would greatly improve the experience?

Walking around in first person in an open world always just feels like you're a cameraman.
>>
>>342875991
>Writing this wall of text just to receive the usual "lmao you can't do anything then, it's just yellow dinos on blue planets xdddd"

Why even bother man
>>
>>342878063
watch the gameplay videos, read the article. The game is nothing but exploring, and the stuff you explore will be incredibly dull because of the whole endless amounts of planets meme
>>
File: 1461952956320.jpg (79 KB, 1056x668) Image search: [Google]
1461952956320.jpg
79 KB, 1056x668
what do you do?
>>
I remember back when Super Mario 64 came out. I looked everywhere for stars, but even if some places didn't have them, I still tried to do stuff regardless. Like trying to get on top of the castle from the start of the game. Or once you found out about the flying cap and the paintings, thinking you could probably fly into the Peach window at the front of the castle.

If you understand why someone would be doing this instead of looking for stars, then you understand the point behind no man's sky.
>>
File: 1466250224582.jpg (22 KB, 356x379) Image search: [Google]
1466250224582.jpg
22 KB, 356x379
We need more games like this.
We need more guillable people to finally understand the retarded meme of "infinite stuff made with procedural generation" technology.
This game's flop will be glorious, and it will teach more people about how retarded that kind of shit truly is.
>>
>>342878246
So I guess you hate the game so much you resorted to lying about it? Pretty sad.
>>
>all the shitposting in NMS threads

t. Star Citizen shills

Oh and that other space exploration game. What was it called? I played it for like 3 hours. It was shit.
>>
>>342878516
yeah because sm64 had a fun as fuck gameplay and actual secrets and good level design because the game was limited to one castle and couple of levels which meant you could focus to actually make it all worth it, instead of fucking infinite planets filled with the same randomized crap
>>
>IGN
>news

Pick one
>>
>>342878530
no it won't if the game flops people will just move onto the next procedural generation game hype it and will flop. then you repeat that forever they never learn
>>
>>342878530
Yeah? I thought Spore would be enough.
>>
>>342878595
You're REALLY reading into the dissent to come up with such a random strawman. Jesus fucking christ. If anyone is a shill its you, the only one mentioning that game.
>>
>>342878724
>instead of fucking infinite planets filled with the same randomized crap.

I plan on watching someone play through the game, to see just how similar the planets really will be, instead of just buying it outright. I suggest the same for everyone as well. I still have hope that the differences will be big enough to keep the game from feeling like a repeating record.
>>
>>342871112
Always liked the premise. Biggest selling point to me is the controllable spaceship (fucking space travel, man), learning alien languages, do exploration shit. But honestly, I can already feel the game's going to feel repetitive, quick. Gonna get it on steam, but not at release. Gonna need more push for me to fork $60 or 240 something in my currency, forgive me for not being not in a developed country for this game
>>
That's more intriguing for me. Just drop me in Lordran and let me read the lore.
>>
m-maybe this will flop and elite: dangerous will shut down and then modders will fix both of them?

...r-right?
>>
What's funny is when I found out about the game I thought /v/ would love it

>no kickstarters
>game fading back in obscurity for months because the devs work on it
>no bullshit drama, just a flooded office and a funny Twitter post about death threats
>game taking a concept and trying to make the most of it rather than trying to imitate Elite or SC

Sure, it's not perfect, but I thought that at most the game would be ignored, but you can't post about it without shitposters, who played maybe Minecraft, Spore and Borderlands and are now the leading experts of procedural generation in vidya
>>
>>342878530
But anon, if technology is always improving, and software is always improving, doesn't that mean that procedural generation is also always improving as well? Not defending no man's sky, but I feel that "someday" procedural generation will actually be good right?
>>
>>342878530
Yeah, rogue is such a fucking shit game
>>
File: 1333930451605.jpg (58 KB, 630x460) Image search: [Google]
1333930451605.jpg
58 KB, 630x460
>>342879380
>sure its not perfect
>but its better than nothing
>it might even be better than all the shitty proc gen games out there
really makes you think
>>
File: 1404052351400.png (186 KB, 381x380) Image search: [Google]
1404052351400.png
186 KB, 381x380
>>342871353
>I had to wait longer
>So i'll force myself to wait eternity if they make me wait a few more months
>that will show them, they'll be aware of my purchase not being made
>They'll know
>They'll know for certain
>>
>>342878516

That analogy sounds nothing like no man's sky.

A better comparative would be with minecraft world, which admitely I enjoyed exploring for a while, but it gets boring pretty quick.

Games don't need to give you a purpose or to hold your hand, but they do need to give the player some enjoyment on the way which I think nms (like minecraft) will not.
>>
>>342871112
wew minecraft in spessh
>>
>>342879380
If you honestly even consider /v/s opinion on video games then you deserve everything you get.
>>
>>342871112
Jesus christ every single person in this thread knows nothing of the game.

>THERES NO GOAL
>ITS SINGLE PLAYER

k bud.
>>
>>342879404
Procedural generation will start becoming interesting when there will be an AI working on it and constantly evolving it for the sake of it.
If the assets used by a procedural generation engine are always made by a person, then it will always suck, unless said person spends 20 years making 500gb worth of assets.
This is a golden rule.
>>
>>342876710
so you want a space game with interesting planets.
people are telling you, that this game wont have it.
so you get mad at them.
maybe you should just be super cautious before you buy it?
like trying it out before you buy it?
or watch some actual ingame footage of the released game?
if that's too much for your brain to process, nobody can help you

When the game is released I'm gonna watch some footage on youtube and I will look out for things like:
>how many planets does the player visit in one session and for what reasons
>how do creatures move. like huge creatures with 4 legs. how do they turn around? does it look good. or does the 3D model just spin around while the legs barely move? this would rustle my jimmies
>how fast paced is the game
>is there stuff that breaks the game for me in general
>>
>>342881596
It's a shame there's not like a hour of gameplay on youtube already, which you can watch to form your own opinion, provided you're not a retard caring more about whoever is talking loudly in the video
>>
File: 1245970994005.jpg (9 KB, 199x200) Image search: [Google]
1245970994005.jpg
9 KB, 199x200
>>342876747
Kek'd
>>
File: 1458864272019.png (41 KB, 621x333) Image search: [Google]
1458864272019.png
41 KB, 621x333
>>342881505
>tay nevar forget
>>
>>342871112
>tfw I didn't fall for caring about this game
Feels good man. Keep delaying that shit.
>>
File: 1499129656864.jpg (209 KB, 1900x1175) Image search: [Google]
1499129656864.jpg
209 KB, 1900x1175
>>342874492
far from it
>>
>>342871112
Lore?? in No Man's Sky? lol Did they just decide they needed some this afternoon?! hahahaha
>>
>>342881915
Seriously, just read a few Bregret articles.
Some "Leave"-voters thought that "Stay" would win but decided to vote for "Leave" to show some kind of discontent.
Nigel Farage denied to having ever said to put EU funds into the NHS on friday morning.
I mean, before the vote they were so vocal. It's like they have no plan of what to do now.
>>
>$60 game whose only point is going around exploring recolored rocedurally generated shit
Never noped so hard at a video game in my life. Maybe when it's on sale for $5 I'll check if it has a few hours of of worthwhile content before you get bored.
>>
File: 1378053391154.png (136 KB, 1100x800) Image search: [Google]
1378053391154.png
136 KB, 1100x800
>tfw I've been looking forward to this game ever since the VGA's trailer

I just want it to fucking come out instead of getting delayed because the PS4 is a piece of shit
>>
I will get this game day one. I honestly think it will be awesome and stay exciting for a very long time because it's so huge.
>>
>>342883649
I've ordered a special edition and I don't even own a PS4. Waiting for Neo
>>
>>342873895
>charging 60 bucks for an procedurally generated indie game

This. They're marketing it as if 1.3 billion planets have been generated. Are they tricking us with advertisements and it's just procedurally generated levels?
>>
>>342884165

>Say game is procedurally generated
>Say how many planets this procedural generation will create
>"Are they tricking us?"

No you're just stupid
>>
>>342884347
No you don't get it. They said that you can visit to this xxx amount of planets. But they never say it's procedurally generated.
>>
>>342884553

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-v6R_T1hEs
>Trailer from 2013 mentions procedural
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zak-K_trrds
>Trailer from 2014 mentions procedural

Yep they're trying to hide shit being procedurally generated
>>
File: 1447197837547.jpg (11 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1447197837547.jpg
11 KB, 300x250
>tfw all you want is X3 with newtonian physics and planetary landing
>>
>>342876072
its leaked concept art
>>
>>342871630
The delay wasn't because of the legal issues. That bullshit was happening for 3 years, if it was blocking the release they wouldn't have given the June release date in the first place.
>>
File: 1457292641047.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457292641047.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
I just want some fucking posters with their concept art. That shit is great
>>
File: 1368267838351.gif (1012 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1368267838351.gif
1012 KB, 500x500
>>342887219
>2006 pics and some weed
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.