[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think of Pillars of Eternity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: Pillars-of-Eternity.jpg (110 KB, 620x770) Image search: [Google]
Pillars-of-Eternity.jpg
110 KB, 620x770
What does /v/ think of Pillars of Eternity?
>>
I personally think it's great and really fun. But I've seen a lot of hate for it around these parts. The only other good modern RPG I can think of that I liked as much as Pillars is Underrail
>>
It certainly feels like an eternity to finish
>>
Just like Wasteland 2, it fails to recapture the spirit of the games it promised to, and just ends up being really bland and uninspired

>b-but Numenera will be good, promise

It will be a watered down Gene Wolfe ripoff.
>>
this game is so much better: >>342819347
>>
Feels like getting a cock rammed up my ass

White March part II is too fucking difficult, those monks are kicking my shit in
>>
>>342844671
I wish i could murder jaded rpg codex posters
>>
Sucks. The Fallout games are the only ones worth going back to in this style.
>>
I was told by various authoritative posters on /v/ that it's shit, so I safely avoided it myself.
>>
Could have been really cool but combat and builds are a bit boring
>>
I am enjoying it. I put it off last year but managed to start it yesterday since I got the expansion pass. Made a wizard and finished the tutorial dungeon.
>>
I thought it was great. The combat can sometimes feel quite dull because of Sawyer's autistic balancing but I had a really good time.
>>
>>342844991

>muh rpg codex

Sorry man, it's dogshit - as in just not fun to play. Just get fucking Baldur's Gate with HD patch and actually play it.

People flocked to these kickstarter imitation games because they thought they could get the old school depth and flavour and all that with modernised design and streamlinging and whatnot, while forgetting that's nearly half of what made the originals what they are.

have some standards man, cmon
>>
>>342845603
>>>/rpgcodex/
>>
>>>342845769

>not liking really boring and mediocre games makes you different from me

ok
>>
>>342845450
>Sawyer's autistic balancing

oh you found a new piece of equipment? we can't have you getting too strong now can we ;^)

S U P P R E S S E D
>>
>>342843734

It is GOTY 2015.
>>
>>342845603

I tried BG1 twice and and I kept dying over and over again. The game is unbalanced as fuck, and you have to lure enemies one by one just to have a chance against them. Plus the story is boring as fuck.

Is BG2 any good?
>>
>>342846432
>Is BG2 any good?
it's even worse, don't fall for nostalgia shills
>>
>>342846559
>it's even worse, don't fall for nostalgia shills

>I can't stomach old school games, so nobody can!

please.
>>
>>342847082
it's not about being old school, it's just a shit game
>>
>>342847267

cool opinion bro
>>
>>342843734
undertale is better
>>
>>342843734

Probably the best combat system I've ever seen in a CRPG.

That being said, it had a little too MUCH lore.

15 hours in and I still needed to google names of people and places that had never been talked about before now.

There was so much information coming at you about local politics, and religions and cultures and gods and everything in between.

I caught myself not remembering who Lady Namehere was, and why she cared/didn't care about Placehere for Reasonhere.
>>
>>342846432
The early levels of DnD are always the most unbalanced. Sounds like you just made a really shitty character. You start at a higher level in BG2 so you should do better.
>>
>>342845603
I respectfully disagree with you. I enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 at the time but couldn't replay it a few years ago. Pillars is more fun IMO
>>
First time playing a game like that. I enjoyed it, but the only piece of story/lore that i cared about was the whole hollowborn thingy. I got to the tower village with the ogre before i couldn't stand the combat anymore and i quit.
>>
>>342848341
>Probably the best combat system I've ever seen in a CRPG.

I have no idea how anyone can think that when ToEE and Div:OS exist.
>>
>>342843734
It's alright but would have been better if they didn't populate the world with kickstarter backer OC.
>>
>>342846432
No you're just retarded. Just give everyone who's not in melee slings and you'll slaughter everything.
>>
>>342849752
I agree that Div:OS has a better combat system than Pillars of Eternity, but when it comes to being a RPG, Pillars is better in pretty much all other departments, IMO.
>>
>>342849752

DOS is not a CRPG.
>>
It's an okay RPG at best. After playing the Baldur's Gate series, Planescape Torment and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for the first time before playing Pillars, I was incredibly bored/disappointed with Pillars.

The RPG system is just meh, if you're trying to optimize your characters then you have to put their stats in to retarded places like a mage with a lot of might or a barbarian with high intellect. It has some really good characters but most are incredibly dull. They also have way too much writing, even compared to Planescape. They say so little with way too many words, it's just a fucking drag reading this shit. In Planescape the writing took me to another world but in Pillars it just dragged out the narrative and didn't do anything special.

The fucking backer content is annoying as fuck too, the game is filled with garbage NPC's that bloat exploration and actively hurt immersion. The whole soul aspect of the game is just retarded and not utilized in any fun ways. Instead of letting you actually experience this interesting things they just hit you with a bunch of poorly written, over-described text.

Also the enemy variety is fucking trash, even the different enemies feel the same. Even in the DLC that fucking dungeon has all those retarded specters you fight non-stop. Since you don't get experience from fighting, fights are just a chore. Also not being able to buff before fights is retarded. Seriously wtf is wrong with this game.
>>
>>342843734
>Extremely dull combat that should have been turn based.
>Absolutely massive amounts of terrible, generic character stories and dialogues that aren't worth reading.
>Have to talk to every single fucking irrelevant character, because you never know when they might have a quest instead of a boring story or pointless dialogue.
>Glacial story-line.

I can forgive an rpg for having shit combat and I can forgive an action game for having a bad story, but when the is shit at everything and also a massive time sink I question what people can possibly see in it. Then again there are people who think ME3 was good except for the ending.
>>
>>342851431
this
it's a coop dudebro party game
>>
>>342843734
I don't like how the game systems are balanced. I don't feel the need to adapt my strategy to the mobs weaknesses. I don't feel the need to switch my melee weapon to optimize crush/slash/pierce, or elemental damage. Maybe it gets better later on.
>>
>>342851545
>Extremely dull combat that should have been turn based.
kill yourself
>>
>>342845603
I already played all those and pillars is certainly better than BG1. Seriously that game is basic as fuck.
>>
>>342851729
>rtwp fan

kill yourself
>>
>>342851905
>he wants to ruin bg games
end yourself
>>
How does Baldur Gate compare to Planescape Torment?

I played the latter and I'm thinking of playing the former.
>>
>>342852036
>implying BG2 isn't my favorite game

and yet it would be infinitely better with ToEE's combat

retard
>>
more like pillars of TRANSMISOGYNY
>>
>>342851729
>>342852036
Pause stop combat is terrible. It was shit in all the BG games, dragon age and pillars.
The combat in pillars would also be terrible if it were turn based due to fundamentally bad mechanics and poor AI, but with pause stop the whole thing becomes an irredeemable chore.
>>
File: kinoa_bubuki.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kinoa_bubuki.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
WHY ARE THESE FUCKING MONKS IN THE WHITE MARCH PART II SO FUCKING DIFFICULT

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
>>
>>342852197
>>342852373
tbs is for losers, rtwp is perfect for feeling how powerful spellcasters are
tbs is for games like fallout 1 and anything postapo but not for fantasy games
>>
>>342852440
best fights in white march 2 bro, enjoy it
>>
>>342852645
>rtwp is perfect for feeling how powerful spellcasters are

Do you have any non-retarded reasons or is that what you're going to go with?
>>
>>342852086
Planescape Torment is more story than game while Baldur's Gate is a good balance between the two.
>>
The only thing I really couldn't stand was the way voice-work was done.

It's this abstract kind of problem too, as the characters would read their lines aloud, then something would happen, and then the character would continue reading the last of their lines.

>"I am having a great day!"
>NPC1 said while tipping his fedora.
>"It is a great day to have a hat!"

All that comes out in one box, and there is NO narration of the middle line.

And the NPC doesn't pause to let you read the middle-line to yourself, either. He just continues to the next line while you're trying to read the non-verbal description.

This annoyed the living hell out of me.
>>
>>342853028
you just don't understand
>>
>>342853278
This shit drove me up the wall. It wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't SO MUCH TEXT wrapped around each dialogue.
>>
/v/ doesn't like anything that's popular.

Fact.
>>
>>342853676

Exactly. Fuck.

The dialogue wasn't even that poorly written, but after 4 sentences then a 2 sentence description then another 3 sentences it turns into a massive fucking mess.

The reason voice acting is nice is because you don't HAVE to follow the text with your eyes and read. But in POE, you literally do, because they're just going to skip plot-crucial stuff if you dont' read.

It felt like such a massive design flaw. Hell, I'm pretty sure you couldn't even turn the voice off.
>>
tryhard morbid story with muh balanced rock-paper-scissors weapons. i guess you have to be bad at reactions to enjoy game while reading 30 minutes and then spend another 30 on each fight.
playing real D&D would be faster rolling the dices and all
>>
>>342851545
>>Extremely dull combat that should have been turn based.

100% agreed. It plays like a turnbased game on anything above Normal difficulty, anyway, because you have to pause every fucking split second to issue combat / ability commands. It suffers MASSIVELY for this one issue, which would be completely solved if it was turn based.

RTWP faggots are cancer.
>>
>>342853278
>>342853676
>>342853892
This is one reason I think voice acting should be all or nothing. Either you voice act everything and convey non-verbal stuff with animations, or you don't have any voice acting and convey non-verbal stuff with either animations or text.
>>
>>342854291
While I'm definitely on the TBS side, PoE's combat also massively suffers from the shit-tier encounter design.
>>
>>342854741
Or voiceact first line of the character when you meet him. After that you fill in the blanks
>>
I wish i could be an elf, I love elves so damn much
>>
>>342843734
Overall pretty nice but very medicore and bland.

I enjoyed it a lot because of the guns though, I really like how realistic they were.

Most RPGs with muzzleloaders just make the rate of fire ridiculously fast for the sake of balance and it sucks, PoE did it right.
>>
>>342856261
What's shit about it? Too many enemies at a time?
>>
>>342843734
>no waifus
>no mods

cant care less
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>342857770
Not that Anon but PoE encounter design sucks simply because it doesn't exist.

There are no different contexts and situations, it's always just a bunch of enemies in a group standing in the middle of nowhere. Nothing like pic related (ambush by orc archers hidden behind hidden doors) from BG2.

Enemies are very often unvaried to the point where it's just 6 of the the same enemy.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.