[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beginner's Games: Slow-Mo Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
> TL;DR: Help an old lady get into turn-based, Visual Novel, and/or Adventure gaming.

I'm trying to get my mom into more games. She started with the bazillions of Bejeweled clones and is starting to want something "more". There are a few criteria...

> She has a windows laptop. No Consoles.
> Her hands aren't steady and her reflexes are slow: no "real time" games (ex: Tetris) or hidden timers.
> Her eyes aren't great. Text should be large and possibly accompanied by voices.
> She's a newb. Nothing hard, plox.
> Should be already translated. No patches or workarounds needed.
> She Loves Puzzles! Puzzles are always a plus.

So far I'm thinking maybe some Visual Novel, Point and Click Adventure, or Turn-based games would be a good idea. Any suggestions?

> Current Stash I'm thinking of loaning her
Long Live the Queen (Short, moderate VN)
Hatoful Boyfriend (Short, Easy VN)
Master of Orion 1&2 (Turn-based Space Exploration)
Card City Nights (Casual Turn-based Cardgame)
Night of the Rabbit (Fairly easy point and click adventure)

Yeah, I'm pretty lacking in stuff that qualifies. Suggestions?
>>
>>342771684
Clannad.
>>
>>342771825
>Clannad.
I didn't know Steam finally came out with a translated version. Neat. How heavy is the romance in it? My mom is straight so I'm not sure she'd like games that are centered on romancing girls.
>>
File: 1403913090925.jpg (12 KB, 189x235) Image search: [Google]
1403913090925.jpg
12 KB, 189x235
>subjecting your mom to long live the queen
>>
File: shinkicker.png (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
shinkicker.png
49 KB, 640x480
>>342772326
Lol. I did say what I had was lacking. Toss me a better suggestion.

I figured it was linear enough she'd get it right eventually. It's not Princess Maker. Even though I have been debating actual Princess Maker, even though I'm not sure if it would be too difficult for a newb.
>>
If she liked Bejeweled, she might like Puzzle Quest or Gyromancer.
>>
>>342771684
To The Moon
My mom played it and she cried
>>
File: Gyromancer_Battle.png (768 KB, 799x599) Image search: [Google]
Gyromancer_Battle.png
768 KB, 799x599
>>342773187
I wish there was a computer version of puzzle Quest. Gyromancer looks like an OK alternative, though. Thanks for the suggestions!

>>342773913
Hmmm... and the reviews say it's not a hard game. Sounds like a good "entry level" adventure. I'll add it to my list.
>>
>>342774776
>I wish there was a computer version of puzzle Quest.

There is http://store.steampowered.com/app/12500/ though you could probably just pirate it.
>>
>>342774776
It's extremely easy. Only "puzzles" are finding items in every "level" that advance the story followed by really easy block puzzles.
>>
>>342771684
SpaceChem? While it's not easy I don't think it requires game "knowledge" to play and I think old people still appreciate challenges. At least my mom sure does.
>>
File: 2012-02-23-tocomic-348.jpg (135 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
2012-02-23-tocomic-348.jpg
135 KB, 1000x500
>>342774969
Derp. Thanks for the link.

>>342775027
Sounds perfect for a total Newb to the genre. Anyone know of other Newb-friendly adventures?

>>342775123
SpaceChem might be a good upgrade for once she's ready for harder games. I might snag this one for myself in the meantime. It looks very interesting and I don't shy away from challenge.
>>
>is starting to want something "more".
I've read a lot of manga about just that. You know what to do...
>>
VA-11 Hall-A sounds like it might work if she's not one of those old folks that gets triggered by "the gays"
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.