[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on the Total War series? What's worth playing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: Total_War_logo.png (76 KB, 376x157) Image search: [Google]
Total_War_logo.png
76 KB, 376x157
Thoughts on the Total War series? What's worth playing?
>>
Both Romes but 1 is better, Medieval 2, Empire, Shogun 2, Attila, and Warhammer

Just start with one that has a setting you like, Attila is probably not a good starting point though because it's kind of difficult compared to the rest.
>>
its one of my favorite series
the games are pretty much all worth playing, depending what time era you like most, some are better some are worse
>>
>>342736480
What abut Shogun 1? Is it too dated?
>>
They're all great
>>
>>342736949
its still great, but the sprite units make it look very dated
>>
>>342736140

Shogun II for beginners

Warhammer or Attila later on

Or just pick whatever era interests you the most
>>
all of them, they're pretty much all the same since rome 1
>>
I bought Warhammer in the sale because it doesn't look like it had the same launch problems that Rome 2 had. Was I right?
>>
Rome 1s a classic and a great starting point that i started at and I'd recommend you to do the same, great mods too

Never got into medieval 2, always preferred Rome, but I guess it's equally good

Don't bother with empire or napoopan, empires a broken mess and napoopan is a fixed empire with no scope

Shogun 2s mediocre and a pass, terrible melee battles ruin it

Fall of the Samurai is a masterpiece and is the best gunpowder total war

Rome 2s shit even after being fixed, just play Attila

Attila is basically a fixed Rome 2, is recommend it

Warhammer is very dumbed down with little content, but has excellent battles, only buy if you're super into Warhammer
>>
>>342737441
At least to me, it has been the most stable release since Rome 1.
>>
>>342737441

I haven't encountered any bugs yet, aside from magic having odd scaling when you fuck with unit sizes.

Great game. Can't fucking wait for the new races.
>>
File: asdfdasfds.jpg (15 KB, 315x119) Image search: [Google]
asdfdasfds.jpg
15 KB, 315x119
>>342738521

Also, pic related.
>>
>>342737441
Very stable, and if you turn the graphics down it runs on a potato.
>>
File: 4L_ACoBKkmj.jpg (244 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
4L_ACoBKkmj.jpg
244 KB, 873x627
I recommend Rome 1 , medieval 2, shogun 2, and Warhammer
>>
File: Stirland.png (171 KB, 301x314) Image search: [Google]
Stirland.png
171 KB, 301x314
>>342736140
>What's worth playing?
Everything from Rome 1 and upwards. Yes, everything!
>>
File: mtw1.jpg (12 KB, 195x258) Image search: [Google]
mtw1.jpg
12 KB, 195x258
>>342736140

Shogun 1 and Medieval 1 are really good but overlooked because of "muh graphics". The strategy map, which is like a risk style map, is much deeper than the other games. The AI is also better at giving you a challenge. It's hilarious saying that but it's true, in Medieval 1 things would happen like AI factions engaging in conspiracy and teaming up on me to take my land, heirs escaping from factions and later leading revolts, catholic bandits waging war against me because I was excommunicated, etc. that never happened in any total war game following that.

Rome 1, Medieval 2, are pretty good. The strategy map is inferior and not as deep, but that's alright because the battles are more interesting and look better. The battles really are significantly improved, very fun to play, if you want to feel like a general enter here. The AI on the strategy map is really, really stupid, but the battle AI is alright.

So if you want deep empire building thematic gameplay play >>Shogun/Medieval 1, if the battles appeal to you more play >> Rome 1/Medieval 2.

After Medieval 2 the series clearly went to shit. I've only played Empire and Warhammer, but I've seen a lot of the other ones and they suck.
>>
File: Talabecland_Banner.png (657 KB, 670x690) Image search: [Google]
Talabecland_Banner.png
657 KB, 670x690
Why is pic related the best province? lads
>>
>>342736140
Rome 1, Medieval 2 for mods alone and Shogun 2. Empire and Napoleon are hamstrung, Rome 2 sucks, Attila is okay with the improved AI and Warhammer just doesn't have much right now although I think the battles are more fun.
>>
File: 1466771875032.jpg (66 KB, 640x714) Image search: [Google]
1466771875032.jpg
66 KB, 640x714
You should buy Rome 1 or Medieval 2, since they're the cheapest and the best.

If you like them and want more just go through the later games and pick what time periods/settings/gimmicks that you want.

Honestly just get one of the gateway titles that i mentioned above and test the waters, because the total war games are pretty unique, so if you like them you have pretty much nowhere else to go for the mix of rts/grand strategy, so you'll just get the other titles.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.