[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/ Plays Shining Force
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 20160625065227_1.jpg (215 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160625065227_1.jpg
215 KB, 1920x1080
Yall motherfuckers ready for this?

We got decently far into the first battle, but I posted the thread super late at night, and people dropped off really soon, let's do this!
>>
File: 20160625065523_1.jpg (573 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160625065523_1.jpg
573 KB, 1920x1080
Here's the layout, Hans is up, you guys pick the first move
>>
you better not have missed Yogurt, op
>>
File: 20160625071336_1.jpg (287 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160625071336_1.jpg
287 KB, 1920x1080
>>342710610
I'm still on the first fight, we never finished it, playing through this while I wait for you motherfuckers to pile in here
>>
>>342709612
Might be too early for this kind of thread.
>>
>>342709762
Does he have a spear or a lance?
If spear: poke that grubby dwarf who's about to raep Tao.
>>
>>342710883
You're probably right, I've been up since 10pm, goddamn insomnia, and I'm bored
>>
>>342710962
Hans is packing a Bow, he can't attack one space in the four direction, but he can attack two spaces away, and one space diagonally, can't hit the dwarf though cause Ken's in the way, sad cause that thing's at 1hp
>>
File: 20160625072031_1.jpg (275 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160625072031_1.jpg
275 KB, 1920x1080
Everything on the genesis is 75 cents a piece right now, I'm picking up a bunch of old roms, just bought this one
>>
I never understood what the percentages on different parts of the maps meant. It was unexplained for the entire game iirc.
>>
File: 1459872827821.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459872827821.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>>342709612
>he emulates
>>
>>342711883
I've beaten the game, no fucking idea either, I assume it was explained in the instruction manual, and I always kinda assumed it had to do with crit chance, but you've got me on that
>>
>>342710762
Dear lord. I lost a whole lot of my childhood to this game.

I miss my sega
>>
>>342711073
Oh, I got Hans mixed up with Ken for some daft reason.
>>
>>342711883
>>342712543
Land effect affects defence and either accuracy or evasion. Sit on a 30% square and you take a lot less damage, and an enemy sitting on a 30 square (and they camp those squares in SF1) becomes hard to hit AND hard to kill when you do hit.
>>
>>342713080
It's acknowledged that the fucking game cheats, turns are dashed out randomly, while being affected by the speed stat, but the ai knows when it's about to get two turns in a row and will exploit that shit, it's not exactly fair but it made the game so much more satisfying when I did beat it

>>342712161
As opposed to what? Dragging an actual fucking genesis out and playing on that? While using a capture card so I can run a thread like this? Yeah, sure I'll get right on that, just let me shell out some money for the genesys, the game, the card, or you know what, I can just emulate the fucking game because my 4ghz quad core from the fucking future as far as Sega was concerned back then, can 1 for 1 a 16-bit cartridge from 1996
>>
I play this game every year leading up to my birthday. This is my favorite game. I first played it in Sega Smash Pack 2, along with games like Sega Swirl, Comic Zone and Super Hang On.

This thread has my approval.
>>
>>342712848
75 cents on steam>>342713454
>>
I just want to take this opportunity to say fuck the GBA version.

Thank you. For your time.
>>
>>342712848
75 cents on steam

>>342713454
>Smash Pack 2
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

That's where I picked it up myself, I've still got that disc laying around somewhere but it is in awful condition, I'm just kinda nostalgia-ing with this thread
>>
>>342713560

I remember being a dumb kid and never figuring out Kid Chameleon.
>>
Can you just skip the second battle
That thing fucking sucks.
Also, make hans shoot something.
>>
Also, egress that shit and get Gong.
>>
>>342714049

Kill everything but the Rune Knight for XP and then Egress for Gong.

You can't get Gort until after battle 2.

And why the fuck did they this putting that bottleneck and a bunch of trees right at the beginning? Why would wasting all those turns to get through ever be fun.
>>
>>342710762
OP is that the sega hits cd? With vector man and kid chemelion?
>>
>>342709762
Shoot that bitch gobo senpai
>>
>>342714380
Yeah, they fucked up hard with that fight.
Truly the casual filter of SRPGs; well, in that casuals are pretty much going to quit that fight out of boredom.
Which is a damn shame, because a good chunk of the later maps are fucking excellent.
The bottleneck returns a few times later, but its pretty much always done in a far more interesting way. Best version being the laser cannon on the bridge.
>>
>>342709612
Haha shit man I just started this yesterday. 2 bucks for all these games is criminal.
>>
>>342714380
>And why the fuck did they this putting that bottleneck and a bunch of trees right at the beginning? Why would wasting all those turns to get through ever be fun.
That's every overworld battle in the game. Enjoy one or two characters handling entire battles on their own while the rest of the force struggles to leave the starting area!
>>
>>342713558
>This autistic fuck again
It's the best version eith more content retard.
>>
>>342715392
Nah, there's a small chunk of overworld battles that aren't like that.
SF2 is arguably worse though when it comes to that.
>maps are now fucking gigantic, so now you have to take even longer to reach foes
>also random battles
Fuuuuck.
>>
>>342715660
Not him, but despite having more content, it comes off a bit weaker in terms of combat.
Biggest thing off the bat: Magic is generally worse off and more has resistance, even further weakening it.
To "make up" for this, there are now "enemy type"-killer weapons, which are primarily melee. Yeah, fat load of good that does when your casters all have such shoddy movement and speed ratings. The damage is pretty damn solid though, but for some characters like Lowe, makes them borderline OP, when they really shouldn't be.
Giving Max a unique spell was cool, except it only hits one enemy at a time and the damage is pretty low at early levels, thus both the sword of light and chaos breaker are still better to cast spells with. I can't remember if he can use Supernova when he goes mute or not, but taking away egress for PLOT was kinda dumb.
The rest of the story additions, excluding mawlock who just kind of -is there-, are pretty cool. I even liked Narsha, but I'm not really sure why people call her a mary sue outside of her baller as fuck spell selection. The HQ talks were a god-tier concept, and I'm annoyed as fuck that nobody else has revisited that as well as SF did for some members. Not only do you learn more about them, but you learn more lore about the world as well, which you don't really visit much of considering you spend most of your time fighting in a war. Some characters could have had better talks (I mean, really, goddamn Lowe, get your shit together), but others were well-executed, even if they were a bit simple, such as Amon's talk about "spells" and Gong talking about all the shit in his backpack.
All in all, I consider them two roughly equal sides.
>>
>>342716230
>SF2 is arguably worse though when it comes to that.
Must be arguable, 'cause I'm arguing against it. It had a few shitty desert maps where almost everyone slowed down, but forests weren't near as much of a problem and slightly longer grass no longer slows you down as much as a forest does, in fact long grass is no longer an obsticle at all.

SF2 had all around much less 'fuck you' mechanics-wise. The AI, while dumber, was more of a cunt though. It always makes the move that will fuck you up the hardest, without fail.
>>
>>342709612
Is this the one where you eventually unlock those broken card things?
>>
>>342717032
>SF2 had all around much less 'fuck you' mechanics-wise
I'd argue it had more for anyone who wasn't a sword user or a master-monk.
Mages got the shaft super fucking hard in SF2 from late-mid game onward. Almost EVERYTHING is immune to magic.
>>
>>342717207
>Almost EVERYTHING is immune to magic.
Eh? Nothing is outright immune, normal wizard spells just can't keep up with the health bloat. Sorceror spells wreck shit though, usually one-shotting single targets. Wizards take a long time to get to a level where they can compete but when you learn it Freeze level 4 is pretty tuff stuff too.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.