[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Single Player Campaigns in Multiplayer-Focused games.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: R6-operators-smoke_196203.png (262 KB, 830x710) Image search: [Google]
R6-operators-smoke_196203.png
262 KB, 830x710
Why do people care so much about single player campaigns in multiplayer focused games? To the point they wont even try the game (even if it's good) if it doesn't have a campaign?

I would understand it if people were asking for offline/lan options so the games they buy can be playable even when the servers get shut down. But no, people always whine about games like overwatch, pic related, or titanfall not having a narrative driven single player campaign.

Why? Why would anyone wish to play such rubbish? Why would anyone want devs to put time and resources into a tacked on short single player experience that doesn't have the qualities that make the game good in the first place? Has no one learned from call of duty?

If every FPS had single player mode like doom4's, it wouldn't be an issue. But most FPS campaigns don't make use of the game's mechanics to their fullest. They're just lethargic, heavily scripted hallway shootout sims.

Explain this phenomenon to me, /v/. If this was just normies, i'd dismiss it as normie nonsense. But even on this very board i've seen people outright hate games because they don't have a single player campaign.
>>
For games like BF that have always been MP focused an SP campaign isn't really necessary. But I can understand people anting an SP part in R6 as that used to be an SP game with campaign (but yeah it has strayed far from the tactical game it used to be anyway).
Doom 4 shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread as it i mainly SP.
>>
Depends if the multiplayer is worth 60 dollars by itself. Also multiplayer only games on console means you need to pay a subscription to play your game already paid in full.
>>
Which is worse /v/?

>tacked on single player
or
>tacked on multiplayer
>>
>>342692917
Tacked on multiplayer because it often affects the quality of the singole player.
>>
>>342691930
"multiplayer-focused" games basically have an inherently implied expiration date, especially now that companies are just flat out cutting splitscreen capability
these games will be worthless in like 5 years
while a multiplayer game is only worth as much as its community, when it dies so does the game, while a noteworthy singleplayer experience can make a cultural impact on the industry, video games as a whole for generations
people dont like paying for that shit
>>
>>342692228
2/3rds of doom are mp focused, though. That's why i included it. It's just that the single player content in that game far outclasses it's multiplayer. Which brings up the opposite issue sp-focused games suffer from.

SP-focused games with tacked on multiplayer modes are just as bad as the reverse. They take time and effort that could be put into making the sp content be more dense, and instead put that effort into a tacked on MP content that could have been much better if it was explored by itself.

Why do giant vidya companies focus so much on homogenizing their IPs, instead of having a more varied selection of games you can play? Ubisoft has fucked its games so hard to the point where their fucking car racing game plays exactly like farcry, which plays exactly like assassin's creed.

I'm at a loss here. I just can't seem to understand why they do this. Even food companies that just sell sauce make sure they have different kinds of unique sauces for different uses and different people.
>>
>>342693229
well said
>>
>>342691930
That's what happens when you price a multiplayer shooter at $59.99. It doesn't happen with CSGO because it launched at $19.99 and TF2 was part of GOAT bundle.
>>
>>342691930

I don't get it either. You play the campaign once. It's 8 hours of fun and usually not nearly as fun as the multiplayer.

People buy these games for the multiplayer and its a waste of resources to focus on singleplayer. I appreciate giving context and setting to the battles going on in multiplayer but that can be done without a singleplayer campaign.

The fact is people want a reason to hate Overwatch. I don't know why.
>>
>>342693229
That was already adressed in the OP. People don't want offline options that take advantage of the multiplayer mechanics. They just want a story mode. Something they can play for 6-7 hours and call it a day.

Isn't spending 60 dollars for a 6 hour campaign worse than spending it for 5 years of rich multiplayer content?
>>
Because console gamers are used to things like Halo and CoD. Old Halo games had a FUCK TON of quality content, both single and multiplayer modes were not tacked on, full experiences with different game modes, split screen, always on demo recording, map editor, etc. People are (about 20 million of them) got so used to this they took it for granted. Now they are confused why the fuck the quality and quantity of game have took such a big dive. Resulting frustration spills all over the place.
>>
>>342693537
>people want a reason to hate Overwatch
which there are plenty of
>>
battlefield 1942 and CS has always got it right, just add fucking bots that play the multiplayer game.
shit even COD still adds fucking bots ffs with a singleplayer campaign.
>>
>>342693485
Overwatch is played mostly on PC and it's 40 on pc. I can buy at least 3 more games right now with those extra 20. There is nothing an overwatch sp campaign can offer than the MP and the dreamworks cinematics don't already offer.
>>
File: 1465503578633.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1465503578633.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>342691930

Battlefield 3 had a bretty gud single player.
>Tank battle
>Jet take off sequence
>HALO jump

COD4: Modern Warfare was good.
>AC-130
>Uh, Gaz and Price.

Black Ops 1 was cash as fuck.
>Based Woods
>Puts on shades

COD:Modern Warfare 2 was cash.
>Lots of intense shit.
>Shower set up.
>Overwatch from the ridge.
>Helicopter taking of the gulag.
>Etc.

But yeah, most games that are usually multiplayer based usually tack on a shitty single player portion for those people.

Titanfall 2 looks SO cash though.
>"Trust me"
>>
>>342693981
i hate how characters mouths move in the trailers. its the worst part about it
>>
>>342693981
If you're trying to say that although Overwatch is only $40 but normies are still bitching about a campaign, then I'd just tell you that Blizzard put themselves in that position. They produce character development short films. Blizzard is responsible for steering that into everyone's heads.
>>
Splatoon's single player is great, and I'm very happy the game has it. I'd still love the game if it were multiplayer-only, but it's one of the few multiplayer-focused games with a well done campaign.

>>342693229
I agree with this, but I also think people blow the importance of a big community out of proportion. It can mean death for a lot of games, especially ones that are reliant on matchmaking systems. But some older multiplayer games have communities with only about 100 people, and I play them all the time with no problems because I know people who still love the game. A lot of "dead" games can be enjoyed just as much as in their heyday if you just seek out the groups of diehard fans who remain.
>>
>>342693981
Overwatch multiplayer is so fucking shallow and small it's laughable. Sure Couter-Strike is small too, but it has a shit ton of depth and variety, tension that provided with fair, deep and meaningful design, you can play one map pretty much forever in CS. Overwatch wants to be that, it tries to use dirty tricks to achieve that same tension without having a good design underneath to actually support it naturally, because it has to be shallow noob-friendly at the same time.
>>
>>342693917
See. That's what has me in a bind. People don't consider something as benign as botmatches (perhaps botmatches with some narrative for context) to be worth it. They seriously want some bullshit cod ghost-styled campaign attatched to their game.

>>342693776

The last halo game that had a good campaign was the first halo game. Because master chief had nice jogging speed it wasn't focused on stop and pop gameplay which seriously fucked over the shooter genre in consoles as a whole. And it only ever had online MP in the Custom Edition for PC. Halo 2 onwards, the only place they shined was in the split-screen or online multiplayer. The level design was claustrophobic and not very inspired at all. For all intents and purposes, they had a tacked on SP campaign no better than modern military shooters.
>>
>>342694343
>one of the few multiplayer-focused games with a well done campaign.
>one of the few
>what is MW1
>what is Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo: Reach
>what is Battlefield Bad Company
>what is CoD Black ops
I can go on. There's been a shit ton of multiplayer focused games in past that had an amazing campaign that was just as important.
>>
>>342694504
If you were less vague i'd actually have an idea of what the fuck you're saying. Maybe try to actually give examples of what you're talking about.
>>
>>342694620
>The level design was claustrophobic and not very inspired at all.
Literally the first Halo. Small closed room after a small closed room. Keep your opinions to yourself or make them at least somehow valid.
>>
>>342691930
Because believe or not, playing m/p games often is not a fun experience. You see most kids are dicks..little faggots who can completely remove the immersion/escapism that a story driven campaign can provide when you want to hop into a particular world or env.

Most m/p focused people care about a 'score' or pwning other players..
>>
>>342694896
CS has simple rules that create amazing amount of depth. The game is fair, not random, predictable, fairly easy to read, lifetime to master etc. Overwatch is based around ultimate attack system and cool-down timers, you can't read these timers of your opponents so you can't predict, this design is supposed to create randomness and chaos, a shallow game that tries to pass as something with depth, but lacks any.
>>
>>342694748
But that's fucking wrong, son. I don't give a fuck about single player campaigns that are just there to deliver forgettable one-liners in completely lethargic, retarded press f to respect gameplay.

I've played every single game you've mentioned except bad company many, many times before. And the only moments I can remember from them can be seen in cutscenes in youtube. Nothing about the actual gunplay in the single player mode was any good. Hell, MW1's most memorable level, all ghillied up, barely had any shooting whatsoever. What's the point of caring about the narrative if it's not intricately tied into the gameplay like that one tale of two brothers game or fallout/morrowind or bloodborne?
>>
>>342691930
Who fucking cares? Let people want whatever they want. If you don't like SP in your shooters, don't play it.

We've now reached a point where people will bitch about more game in their game. Where having more options is bad. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>342694748
I said "one of the few", not "the only one". Listing off just a few isn't gonna make it wrong.

Also I don't know why Halo 2 and 3 would count when the SP/MP dynamic was pretty much the same as in Halo 1, which I had always thought of as a SP game more than anything until I got the PC version.
>>
>>342695569
That definitely isn't a misrepresentation of what OP is saying. Nope, he definitely thinks games are better with less content, period.
>>
>>342694942
The original halo had a kind of anal bead design. Stretches of hallways which opened up into big open rooms. The other games are kind of a departure from this. Halo 2 was nothing but ridiculously long hallway stretches, halo 3 was nothing but suspiciously closed off highways and cliffs. Halo 4 LOOKED like it had returned to the more open levels of halo CE, but it didn't make good use of chief's movement options and there was too much focus on hand holding. Reach has the same problems as 4. 5 is the worst one by far. Where you're presented with this amazing opening sequence of spartans falling from the sky and going all mighty morphing power rangers on the covies. For a moment i thought that halo 5 was actually going to be a first person Vanquish. But as soon you gain control of your character, that momentum drops dead. Doom 4 is what i wanted halo 5 to be. Hell, wolfenstein: the new order was a much better game than any halo SP.
>>
>>342695627
Explain to me how press f to pay respects amounts to "more" content in my game. Why would i want to play a shitty SP campaign when they could put the money they spent on kevin spacey and the production values into making more maps and better servers.
>>
>>342696492
meant >>342695569
>>
>>342692228
>R6 as that used to be an SP game with campaign (but yeah it has strayed far from the tactical game it used to be anyway

nice shitpost

obviously didnt play a minute of Siege
>>
>>342697496
I thinks he means everything that came out between siege and r6 3. Siege is an amazing tactical MP only game with a high skill ceiling. It's not a snooze zombie cop fest like payday, it just simply replaces the SP of the original r6 games with MP. (it's literally the only good ubisoft game they've released in more than a decade)

What he meant is that people are already used to trash like Vegas or Future Soldier.
>>
>>342691930
>singleplayer is heavily scripted hallway shootout sims
>multiplayer mode
>capture the flag
>koth
>deathmatch
>no one talks unless its a faggot who yells at the mic

>singleplayer
>storytelling
>characters
>special stages that aren't in multiplayer
>background

If you want to play a game with no background go and play fucking CS or any rip-off.
>>
>>342698126

greentexting isn't an argument, anon. I know it's hard for you to do since you're likely a college freshman with no life experience, but maybe try carefully expressing your thoughts instead of being a fucking tool.

A narrative doesn't necessarily make a game memorable. Most of the most memorable moments i've had in vidya were from random shit happening while playing. Like your pawn rushing to get tail swiped repeatedly by a drake in Dragon's Dogma, or that one time you got a double sniper head shot in your favorite FPS. There is nothing sp campaigns in FPSes offer than MP modes don't do better and more elegantly.
>>
>>342691930
Better question: why would you take
a primarily single player game, strip it out of all features that made it unique in the first place (tactical realism, planning, squad management) and rebrand it as a multiplayer only fuckfest with moba elements for 12 year olds?
>>
>>342700924
Anon, you shouldn't post under the influence.
>>
File: 95c.png (178 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
95c.png
178 KB, 600x336
>>342691930
So you can kill braindead AIs and go through scripted corridors and watch cutscenes like a cool dude then tell all your friends.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.