[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CRT HDTV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 1000x750
I have the ability to pick this up for cheap but I'd have to drive 3 hours to pick it up.

What would you do? Do any of you own one? It's CRT gaming a meme or is it actually cool?
>>
>>342685828

How is that table supporting this beast?

I had one of these for a while. I don't recommend it. The size and weight is such a pain in the ass and the picture isn't even good for a CRT. The "HD" is 540p and 1080i.
>>
>>342685828
Ask /vr/. There's a whole general dedicated to crt tvs.
>>
>>342686139
What CRT has the best picture? Is it basically studio monitor or bust?
>>
>>342686390
Sony Trinitrons are pretty great
Try to find a Wega or XBR
>>
Standard definition stuff looks better on one but that's really it
>>
A CRT is good to have, but you won't get much use out of it unless you're playing on a wii or earlier console.

Any crt towards the end of the time they manufactured them is great, provided there aren't any glaring issues with its display. A production monitor is probably the best but I've never tried one.
>>
HD CRTs generally use digital frame processing and scaling just like modern flat-panet HDTVs so have the same sort of input-lag issues.
Unless you've found one that's actually a multi-sync monitor.

CRT HDTVs do give you true blacks and motion clarity, which we don't quite have both of in a flat panel (strobed LCD has CRT motion clarity but grey blacks; OLED has real blacks but lacks the motion clarity of a CRT or strobed LCD, though impulse-driven OLEDs are kinda OK at it.)
>>
>>342685828
crt is basically required to have responsive gameplay for older consoles unless you emulate.
>>
>>342685828

You should have no issue finding a really good Trinitron or Wega CRT in your location for cheap. Don't waste your time driving out that far.
>>
>>342693250
How does that work? Isn't responsiveness tied to the refresh rate of a monitor and how well the game is being ran on it's system? This sounds like a meme, anon.
>>
File: currentretrosetup.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
currentretrosetup.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I found all three of these: PVM, Wega and Trinitron (including stands) for less than $80. Your best bet is to keep checking local listings everyday or even garage sales (if possible).
>>
>>342685828
I had a CRT HDTV once, and I don't recommend it. They're heavy as hell and the HD picture mode isn't as good as what you'll get from a modern LED TV. The worst of both worlds IMO.

If you're a fan of retro games like me, just get 2 TVs. One HDTV for current games, and a CRT SDTV for older stuff. Make sure to get an SDTV that supports S-video cables, they make old games so much sharper.
>>
>>342693130
Listen OP. HDCRT is a waste of your time and money. Still gives you input lag and all other things that come with HD. This guys right about multisync sets but those basically don't exist outside some highly sought after PVM's.

Finding a standard definition CRT should be easy enough and shouldn't cost more than $25 buks.
>>
>>342693934
Dude that's the rankest fucking setup I've ever seen. Also why two gamecubes and two n64's?
>>
>>342694235

I believe those consoles in the back aren't working or just doubles, but I could be mistaken. I collected a l lot of games and systems growing up so it happened over the years.

Thanks though.
>>
>>342693934
they make awful noise, they hurt your eyes
I hate the HDTV CRT meme I bought one and I regret it
>>
>>342694528

Mine doesn't make any noise nor does it make my eyes hurt? I'm playing a PS2 game at this moment (through component) and it looks and plays solidly.
>>
>>342693130
not the OP, but I got a question:
Everyone says rear projection tech is obsolete and produces shitty picture quality, but what about DLP rear projection? I mean DLP can only be displayed through via projection anyway, and it produces a great picture quality (which is why they use it in movie theaters, right?)
Could a modern DLP rear projection HDTV have picture quality that is competitive with what we can get today from LCD?
>>
>>342685828
Why are you wasting your time asking this question to a bunch of kids who weren't even born when CRT tvs were in use when you should be driving to go get it? Go get it OP.
>>
>>342693924
>How does that work? Isn't responsiveness tied to the refresh rate of a monitor and how well the game is being ran on it's system?
Absolutely not. You just fell hard for the jewwing.
>>
>>342694815
Then what factors into responsiveness?
>>
>>342694527
Just clean up a little, everything looks disgusting as fuck
>>
File: TV.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
TV.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>342695713

I've been getting to that. I wanted all the systems set up to each TV first before I started organizing everything around the area. Which part in particular are you referring to?
>>
>>342695921
It could just be the yellowish glow of the picture. But also just small nick knack shit like the skateboard and toys on teh front of the tv along with really poor taste furniture like your computer desk and coffee table. Also is that a blanket handing in the back of this pic
>>
>>342696219

You don't like the coffee table? Shit I bought it from some rich guy who wanted to get rid of it. I thought it was a beaut. It has a huge compartment to put all of my controllers in.

I'll be working on getting better furniture soon, but funds are a little short at the moment so I'll have to suffice with what I have.

It's my retro room so I have a toys and such all over. However, I did organize them more appropriately since that picture was taken.

It's a TMNT sheet covering up a cubby-hole that acts as storage.
>>
>>342696509
Yea I don't know your situation so I don't want to shit all over you. Maybe just do some dusting and cleaning, your consoles look a little dirty.

Not sure where you put your toys but perhaps make a shelf where they can all sit.
Maybe give the room a paint job when you get the chance. White is always nice and refreshing.
Furniture doesn't have to be expensive to be nice. Try finding some IKEA shit that's in good clean shape off craigslist(there's always a ton) and it's normally pretty good for a setup like this.
>>
File: retrogamesss.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
retrogamesss.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>342696789

No worries, man.

Most of my toys and misc are on my game shelf (pic related), although I do have some just in random spots (on top of the TV).

I check kijiji all the time, but nothing has really caught my eye. However, I am looking for a futon which I think would make the room look more comfy.
>>
>>342697106
Nice collection bud!

It's nice to have trinkets in odd places but you never want too many otherwise it ends up looking cluttered.

Check that or just any random app that works the same as that.

Also never mentioned it but nice SD trini. Is that a 32inch?
>>
>>342685828

I had a Panasonic CRT that I bought from Circuit City 15 years ago.

Lasted 10 years, was a solid TV.

Winter is coming.
>>
File: DSCN1394.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1394.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>342697417

Thanks man.

Yeah, to be honest I'm a sucker for trinkets and knick knacks. But I do my best to keep them separated so it doesn't look like a cluster-fuck.

I'll check those out as well.

Thanks, yeah it is. Definitely one of my better finds. The picture quality on that beast is unreal. Pictures just don't do it justice.
>>
>>342697770
>lvl 5 mewtwo
What is this

I have a wega 27 inch, but am dying for a 36inch. Unfortunately my space doesn't allow for one yet.

Also have a 20' BVM but I use that for GameCube games. Despite other retro stuff looking phenomenal on it.
>>
File: PVMTIT.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
PVMTIT.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>342698013

I gamesharked pokemon red for my nephew and he wanted a mewtwo to train unlike the one at lvl 70 from the cave.

I'm not even aware of the size of my Wega. It has to be over 30 though?

>BVM

pretty jealous. i've been looking all over for one and still haven't come across any. thus i settled for the PVM. do you have any pictures of it?
>>
>>342685828
/vr/ has better threads for this stuff
>>
File: 1453151278176.jpg (7 KB, 249x176) Image search: [Google]
1453151278176.jpg
7 KB, 249x176
>>342697106
>a cupboard specially dedicated for merch and vidya stuff
you're an american, aren't you
>>
>>342698914

Canadian.
>>
>>342698301
That's sweet, great that a young kid is still interested in Pokemon red.

Yea I'd say it's a 32'. 36 is beastly. The BVM was a super score, got two of them and a pvm for 50 bucks.

Pics are on my phone and I'm too lazy to send em over to comp.
>>
We gave ours away for free (well not for free since the man who got it really wanted to pay us for it)
>>
File: wega.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
wega.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>342699194

He's in love with pokemon Red and charmander. We actually finished the Indigo league series a couple of days ago, watched the first movie and the finished pokemon origins yesterday.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not certain if I've ever seen a 36' then. It must be heavy as fuck. The Wega I have is like 250lbs I believe. Carrying it downstairs was no easy task.

Not a problem. Maybe one day we'll come across each other again and you can show me then.
>>
>>342699527
Yea HD crt's are heavy as shit, heavier then SD.

Really want that fuckin jungle green n64.
>>
File: DSCN1392.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1392.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>342699686

Definitely aware of that now. The jungle green N64 is fucking rad. I really want the Ice Blue one though I've always thought it was the nicest coloured one.

Anyway, I'm going to get back to my gaming session. It was really nice talking to you, anon.

Good night and take care.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.