[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the 3D remake version of FF4 worth getting? It seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: 1374537-ffiv_us.jpg (69 KB, 500x445) Image search: [Google]
1374537-ffiv_us.jpg
69 KB, 500x445
Is the 3D remake version of FF4 worth getting? It seems like the only thing that's missing is the After Years expansion. Is it a really good expansion that's worth playing? Is it ok to get that expansion separately and play it separately?
>>
After Years was pretty lousy and was mostly just rehashing the events of the original game. There's a few cool moments like Edge soloing Rubicante, but ultimately isn't worth playing.
>>
>>342649808
That sounds like a pretty solid review. Do you know anything about the DS version? Is it a good version to get or is there anything wrong with it?
>>
>>342650217
It has a shitty difficulty spike when you get to the underground fight with Golbez
>>
>>342650217

It's a pretty solid remake and does some interesting things like upping the game's difficulty and giving you some form of party customization with augments. Only flaws I can really think of are the framerate, the same smaller enemy group issue FF3DS had, and listening to Fusoya's advice during the CPU battle leading to an ass-kicking because they tweaked the battle but not the script for it.
>>
It's good.

It's a remake yeah. But it somewhat does it's own thing too.
>>
>>342649428
It's pretty good
>>
>>342649428

it is the hardest iteration of FF4, and indeed probably the hardest post NES FF barring superbosses in the series. course that just means more grinding, but i was a purist and decided 'i didn't need augments' which are basically extra commands you can give to your party, like giving Cecil a taunt. those augments are necessary
>>
>>342649428
I've only played the DS version, so I can't say if it's better or worse than the others. From what I've heard it's one of the most difficult versions, but I don't think it's nearly as rough as III on DS. Voice acting and cutscenes are pretty good and the guy who sold it to me said he grew up playing on SNES but really loved the DS version for the cinematics.
I think the GBA version has extra boss battles or something if you're into replayability like the weapons in VII.
>>
>>342650217
I recall years ago during a Screwattack review of the Psp version saying that the DS remake was amazing.
>>
>>342649428
After years is eh, but ff4ds is a true god-tier remake. It's also on phones and pc if you care. Skip the psp remake, it's garbage compared to ff4ds.
>>
>>342650790
no they fixed the smaller enemy group thing by not having a dynamic camera
>>
best version of the game but it's a little ugly
>>
>>342651426
What? The GBA version has more than the DS version? That's just annoying. Why has FF4 gone through so many iterations?
>>
>>342651618
Not to mention that it was originally FF3 overseas.
>>
>>342651407
It's hard as fuck and yes, augments are necessary. If you don't mind grinding you'll be ok, but if you're like me you'll rage at the dark elf and go and grind for a few hours
>>342651456
I remember that review. Man SA has gone down the shitter recently
>>
>>342651618

its really easy to port, and its one of the most popular, and considered the entry level 2D FF so its a good platform to make new FF fans with
>>
>>342651723
>>
>>342651618
>Why has FF4 gone through so many iterations?
Square really really likes to remake it.
>>
File: 1338790286690.jpg (887 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
1338790286690.jpg
887 KB, 1600x800
>>342649428

>Is the 3D remake version of FF4 worth getting?

Yes. The DS version is pretty damn hard and makes the 2d version look extremely easy. The Steam/Android version have an easy version and the DS hard version. Pick it up, it's really good.

I'm still pissed that SquareEnix never followed up with a FFV and FFVI 3D remake.
>>
>>342651964
In an interview with Nomura about ff7r, he said "we skipped two games, thats a problem we will have to address [laughs]" or something
>>
>>342651407
It was pretty easy until I got to the last boss.
Annoying as fuck to go through all those cutscenes and dialogue before fighting him then
>Big Bang
>Big Bang
>Party Wiped

I took the time to grind for Safe Travels augment, and I still can't be bothered to kill this fucker.
What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>342651407

> course that just means more grinding,

I never had to grind in the FFIV DS version outside of a very few areas just to get two levels up or so. All you need to do is utilize EVERYTHING you have for boss battles. That includes elixers and mega elixers that most people who play FF games just tend to save indefinitely and never use them.

And best part of DS FFIV is getting that satisfying feeling of defeating a difficult boss. That's how I like games.
>>
>>342651767
Screwattack has been going down the shitter for the last couple of years now. I used to love them and watch all of their shit but you could hardly call them the same people anymore.
>>
>>342652118

so. full 3D remakes of FF1 and 2 confirmed?

i agree FF6 is probably the most deserving of a remake of the series, but i don't believe modern squeenix is up for the task
>>
>>342652118

I hate Nomura, I hate how much power that faggot gained in that company. He makes great monster designs, but he should stick to that. He places his hands in too many cookie jars. Fuck that shit.
>>
File: 1421320219051.jpg (261 KB, 634x1008) Image search: [Google]
1421320219051.jpg
261 KB, 634x1008
>>342651964
>FF1&2 got those PSP remakes with great sprites
>FF3&4 got 3D remakes
>oh boy, time for my favorite FF next!
>that ugly half-assed mobile garbage

It hurts.
>>
Doesn't the Steam version have both 3D and the After Years content?
>>
>>342652329
If so then I guess that would arguably be the best version.
>>
>>342652310

Which mobile garbage are you talking about?
>>
File: IMG_2569.png (335 KB, 417x515) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2569.png
335 KB, 417x515
>>342649428
>bought after years on Wii after beating Final fantasy 4 DS
>never ever played it
>it's still on my Wii memory card

It's been so many years.
>>
File: 112249[1].png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
112249[1].png
1 MB, 1024x768
>>342652553

FF5: Something an Intern Made over his Lunchbreak edition. FF6 version is just as good
>>
>>342652173
Deathbattle. Deathbattle got so popular they devoted p much all their resources to it. I mean it's cool and all, but I watched for their og top 10s, hard news, vault, and sidescrollers. Sidescrollers is still there but it sucks dick now and the rest are gone, along with Dustin and Jared. Oh and Jose too. Oh and Tom as well. The last straw was the fullscreen merger I think. Damn I just depressed myself

/rant
>>
>>342652848
Yeah, I'd say the end of the first season of Deathbattle was the start of their decline. They started doing less of other shit and those "# reasons why we hate / love XYZ" are annoying and cringy as fucking hell. It's like they're doing their absolute best to attract the PewDiePie audience. If it's working then good for them, I guess.
>>
The PSP version is the best version. Get that one.
>>
Is it wrong that I find the 2D Versions harder? The only trouble I remember having in the DS version was Golbez, after that I found the game extremely easy. But in the 2D version I just beat the Giant of Babil and have no Idea what to do besides Bahamut and grind for the final dungeon
>>
The PSP version is the best to go with. The DS version has 2 exclusive bosses that are admittedly hard, but it's really not worth the painful 3D graphics.
>>
File: 1446575672233.jpg (221 KB, 953x988) Image search: [Google]
1446575672233.jpg
221 KB, 953x988
>>342651461
>Skip the psp remake, it's garbage compared to ff4ds.
>>
Let's say I want to into Final Fantasy, and am Nintendrone. Which of the DS/3DS releases are recommended? I've been mostly intrigued by the later ones like the one where you're a pop band or the Lightning ones even though I know they suck and VII, of course.
>>
>>342654305
>Is like the 4th remake of the game
>Still doesn't fix some of the game's wonky ass mechanics like having to cast Protect or Shell multiple times before they'll actually fucking do anything, after FF4DS already fixed it into the series standard way of using them.
>Also despite embracing the Amano art Cecil still transforms back to his SNES design in battle.
>>
>>342652828
Dearest God. Does the Steam version look like this too? I have the PSX one on Vita and it looks way better.
>>
>>342656103
steam version has the game remade in the style of ffiv ds
>>
>>342656367
woops nevermind, mistook the thumbnail for cecil's son
>>
>farmed pink tails in this

i hate the chocobo song
>>
>>342652130
Use the Defend command when he signals he's going to bang you. It's honestly as simple as that but some people might still die depending on your party HP. As long as a few survive though you can get back on your feet.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.