[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What seriously went wrong? Most people consider them a joke now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14
File: nintendo logo.png (52 KB, 2000x493) Image search: [Google]
nintendo logo.png
52 KB, 2000x493
What seriously went wrong? Most people consider them a joke now and none of their games have the same quality that they used to.
>>
They realized Nintendrones will praise any unfinished garbage they're given and decided to do the bare minimum.
>>
>>342563178
Easy

Wii U is dead, so most of their current games are literal shovelware or low budget filler games (Mario and Sonic at Rio, Color Splash, etc)

Hopefully NX will be better

3DS is still doing well even if it's old, it is getting a new IP, two DQ games, a Shin Megami Tensei game and a Pokemon game.
>>
They fluked out with the wii's casual gamer success without realizing they are competing with mobile now for casuals which is an unwinnable battle, most casuals with a wii only bought like 3 games then let it collect dust which didnt help their game sales yet their too arrogant and stupid to realize this

>>342563481
Also this
>>
>>342563178
They chose the wrong audience and pissed off a whole bunch of other people in the process. The Wii was a stroke of good luck and it's not happening again. Not when little Timmy and Grandma are playing on their phones nowadays.
>>
>>342563481
/thread
>>
What is left of their fanbase can't agree on anything, and whoever you piss off will badmouth your games for all eternity
>>
I'm actually about to get a wiiu because they seem to be doing other things, of course I don't mean a different controller nor is this praise. I'm just going to get a wiiu for some things I can't get on pc.
>>
>>342563178
they literally released two of their strongest games just last year
>>
>>342563178
You got older. Their games are as high-quality as ever and they rarely have a complete flop, but their core audience is children and parents rather than "hardcore gamers" and it always has been.
>>
Nintendo's going with a squeaky clean sterile look for all their new stuff that's unappealing in a CG photoshop way. I think strong hardware hurts their style.

Treehouse is seriously absolute fucking trash who remove any semblance of magic from games with their ebin pop culture memeing.
>>
>>342563481

Lack of 1st party competition, 2nd party competition and 3rd party competition makes them not try terribly hard on their games.

I think that's the majority of the problem, personally.
>>
>>342565141
That's really not it. What happened is that the market has become established and devs are put on a shorter leash and forced to build to best practices/formula.

All the NES games are hard as balls and would result in you throwing your controller against the wall. Shit like that just would not be made today. Likewise for the kind of mysterious games with personal touches that OG studios would put out.
>>
They never bothered to get with the times. Nintendo still thinks it's 2007 where online gaming wasn't nearly that big of a deal and a console could sell based on exclusives alone.
>>
>>342565157
>Treehouse

after E3. Treehouse is just stealth Twitch streaming.
>>
File: 1437670524429.jpg (18 KB, 293x219) Image search: [Google]
1437670524429.jpg
18 KB, 293x219
>>342565374
NES games were harder because they were short as fuck, you idiot. They had to make them borderline impossible to complete because otherwise you complete them within a few hours. It was never about adding difficulty for the sake of it. There are still games that pose challenge now, but unless you're a complete masochist I don't even know why you would even want that. It borders on bad game design.
>>
>>342565686
>i-idiot
Wow, can you lose an argument harder
>>
File: 1438049430944.gif (3 MB, 230x204) Image search: [Google]
1438049430944.gif
3 MB, 230x204
>>342565856
Cry harder faggot. Not my fault you get triggered so easily the rest of the post didn't matter.
>>
>>342563481
first post is best post yet again
>>
>>342565157
>Not just learning Japanese
Treehouse has inspired me to become a vidya translator to make sure there cuckery doesnt last for the ages.
>>
>>342563178
>What seriously went wrong? Most people consider them a joke now
and yet they have a monopoly on the handheld market, succeed where fuking disney failed in the figures market, and even WiiU made em money. and Won E3 2016 with 1 game

they are witchcraft that will outlive us all
>>
>>342565141
>u grew up xd

There's a bunch of older Nintendo games I didn't play until I was 20, and I had way more fun with them than any of the modern Nutendo gimmick shit.
>>
>>342566729
>Won E3 2016 with 1 game
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Nintendo did manage to put on a good show this E3 despite shooting themselves in the foot on purpose, but that doesn't change the fact that they fucking shot themselves in the foot on purpose
>>
The Wii and the DS sold fuckloads. Those, along with the games on them, earned Nintendo more money than they'd basically ever made before.

It completely changed them and their outlook on the market. Suddenly they got restructured inside and out to be more about casual nonsense. What's worse is that they seemingly forgot what casuals even wanted out of them. The 3DS and Wii U were just shallow attempts at copying their predecessors by slapping on random gimmicks, and then hoping the name recognition would carry them to easy millions.

Now all of their long time fans hate them because they got abandoned in favor of casuals, casuals don't care about them because Nintendo failed to advertise their new shit and casuals don't notice anything unless it's shoved in their faces constantly, and anyone who was previously unimpressed with Nintendo never had any reason to change their opinions on them.

Nintendo's spent the whole generation floundering about, still mindlessly pushing out casual shit because they forgot how to make anything else. BotW suggests they might be trying to learn how to change but only time will tell if that works.
>>
>>342563178
japanese people are no better than HAN chinese. They look the same therefore they must have the same intelligence. The only reason japan was successful in anything throughout the 80s and 90s was due to motivation after WWII.
>>
The joke here is you, Op
Next time if you want to start a console war thread be sure to be more subtle

Anyway do you have any source for the 'joke' part? They are dominating the handheld market, and their games still remain popular (mk8 best selling exclusive)
>>
File: zelda.jpg (219 KB, 771x1024) Image search: [Google]
zelda.jpg
219 KB, 771x1024
>>342566945
>but that doesn't change the fact that they fucking shot themselves in the foot on purpose
no, people were the one calling em dead
>1 game LOL
>NINTENDOOM
then Zelda came, pic related

hands down, Zelda stole the show. you can argue other presentation were flashier or had more games, but the one company with the best impression was at the end Nintendo cause Breath Of The Wild
>>
>>342566986
>casual

Explain
DKTF, W101 and Starfox 0 (to a certain extent) prove you wrong.
>>
File: 1464703372088.jpg (174 KB, 1000x749) Image search: [Google]
1464703372088.jpg
174 KB, 1000x749
>>342564820
you're going to regret that purchase friendo.
>>
>>342567209
Nintendo still puts out good stuff but nearly all of the best games coming from them for the past several years has been coming from basically anybody except EAD, which were supposed to be Nintendo's A-teams.

The best they've managed to do this generation was Splatoon, a game headed up by relative newcomers. There's stuff like Mario Kart and 3D World but frankly, those things are never going to turn any heads because they're such standard Nintendo fare.
>>
File: 1461178072867.jpg (157 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
1461178072867.jpg
157 KB, 920x900
>>342567096
B-but if you add up all of Sony's games, they're more than Zelda!
>>
>>342567096
It is an objective fact that Nintendo handicapped themselves by not having any kind of conference, digital event, or other kind of formal presentation. They could have presented facts worth noting about BotW in a condensed, easy to find out manner instead of having to sift through hours of Treehouse footage. What makes it even worse is that Zelda wasn't even the only thing they had at E3. They had plenty of information released at that time, including new games, that could have easily filled out a small Digital Event, but they decided to be fucking retarded and fart out those updates with no fanfare so anyone who wasn't paying close attention could miss them.

I said before E3 that Zelda would have to be god-like for them to even be considered okay if they didn't have a conference. And it turns out it was, but that doesn't mean their decision to not have a direct of any kind wasn't stupid
>>
>>342568030
>They could have presented facts worth noting about BotW in a condensed, easy to find out manner instead of having to sift through hours of Treehouse footage.
it would take 1 hour conference alone to "compress" in a non rushed. well explained manner all the little details Zelda had show in those 2 days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvSw6rk75w

Nintendo only showed Zelda, Pokemon and that new RPG, a Direct, even less a conference was not worth.
>>
>>342568563
>>342568030
They could have had a standard direct focusing mostly on Zelda with the Pokemon and Oasis announcements and then fill out the time at the end by discussing NX games

I mean really at this point why the fuck not?
>>
File: 1466646191698.png (168 KB, 365x377) Image search: [Google]
1466646191698.png
168 KB, 365x377
>>342563178
Iwata.

Also the flash-pan success of the Wii ruined them and their quality mentality, now they think they can make cheap trash and get away with it through normies and their blind fans.
>>
>>342569089
likely NX got a last minute delay, thats why is on march rather than Holydays.

that being said, skipping the holidays might be bad for the company $$$$ wise but good for NX sales.
>>
>>342568563
Don't forget the new Mario Party, new lines of amiibos for both Mario and Zelda, Megamix being released THAT DAY, plus updates on previously announced games that's always in a non-dedicated direct or digital event

And I'm not saying all of the information about BotW should have been in some kind of direct, but there's plenty of more important details that could have been included, especially talk about the games LoZ1 influences among other things. Plus, the fact that you posted a 9 minute video that basically explains most of the found TECHNOLOGY over the past 2 days in an easy-to-understand way proves how full of shit you are for me.
>>
>>342563481
Post of the month.
>>
>>342569487
>Plus, the fact that you posted a 9 minute video that basically explains most of the found TECHNOLOGY over the past 2 days in an easy-to-understand way proves how full of shit you are for me.
sorry, but those 9 tech minutes only work cause people already know the overal, a direct that way will feel rushed
>>
>>342563178
Nothing. They were never good.
>>
They took the success of the wii as a sign that what they're doing is working so why fix it. They make great games but don't know how to market a console to reddit fags and normie scum. They also lost a ton of 3rd party support thanks to their gimmicks.
>>
>>342569875
That's bullshit, they can always show several-second clips of the stuff happening while they describe it in a voice-over like they always do, which works. But that's besides the point. The point is that they shouldn't have JUST had the treehouse stream to show off Zelda, and would have benefited much more from having a digital event touching up on the general information as well
>>
NINTENDOFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>342570421
but they still have Nintendo Direct to show new information
>>
File: E3charts-games.png (288 KB, 1525x2025) Image search: [Google]
E3charts-games.png
288 KB, 1525x2025
>>342570668
HA HA HA HAH
>>
>>342563178
I grew up. Bought a playstation 2 and never looked back.
>>
You're getting older
>>
>>342570734
They have it, but they didn't use it at E3. And that's what's wrong
>>
>>342570874
>I grew up

D'aww, the baby thinks he's mature.
>>
>>342571039
what is so special about E3 anyway? its only for advertising and to be akward in front of people
>>
Old, out-of-touch people seized control of the company and they were given too much power. These were the same people who constantly throw gimmicks at their consumer, third-parties, and their own developers in an attempt to make lightning strike twice after the Nintendo Wii (which hurt them in the long run really). It was the notion that they didn't really have to compete with Sony and Microsoft and them pretending like they weren't even running the same race for years even though they CLEARLY are.

Shit, just look at that recent news article that basically said that Miyamoto forced the GamePad on everyone. The GamePad by itself isn't even that bad, but I think people would rather have a more powerful console, better online infrastructure, a modernized game design philosophy, and more efforts to freshen up their long-running series without relying on gimmicks.

Nintendo has been running on a philosophy of, "WE NEED TO DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY JUST BECAUSE!" for 10 years now and people understandably think that's kind of stupid, since a lot of what the competition have been doing makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>342563178
They were never good. You grew up and deluded yourself into believing that they were this once great company when in reality, they've always been an overrated fisher price developer.
>>
>>342571039
is your opinion, and it worked for em. so why till so ass hurt?

is like 3 years ago when they decided to ditch Lights Show on stage.

>>342571318
E3 was good to deliver tons of info easily on the era where stream and videos online was scarce. also public entrance, so you could read opinion of the demos from average joes, not paid jurnor that cant even play a platformer.

E3 closing down to jurnos only. and the evolution of stream content, make E3 basically a glorified light show.

the 1st to notices this was Nintendo and they were right.

the only downsize is that we longer will see an all stage reaction to Nintendo presentation.
>>
What went wrong?
Satoru Iwata. Really glad he's dead.
>>
>>342571318
To inform the general public at large about what you have. You know, the majority of people who buy video games who don't spend their times on message boards dedicated to them.

Also, if you're the same person I started this argument with, I find it hilarious that you're downplaying E3 now when this whole thing started because you were bragging that Nintendo "won" E3 with just one game

>>342571509
That's different, because digital events are an overall better replacement for live conferences for delivering information in a succinct manner, while the same is not true for treehouse streams from digital events
>>
>>342567096
Christ. Why do people like the FIFA games?
>>
>>342571920
>That's different, because digital events are an overall better replacement for live conferences for delivering information in a succinct manner, while the same is not true for treehouse streams from digital events
the end of the story is that now matter how much you argue why they should have or have not remove the ND, they did, and it worked for em.

>>342572078
cause Euros love football but are too physical unfit to even play a regular match. so the go virtual, is 100% self insert.

same reason Murika buys the shit out of NFL

Sports players only buy the new game every year so the roaster is updated with player in the respective team club and new star players
>>
>>342568030
Literally the fact that you start out your post with
>it is an objective fact
discredits any kind of creditbility that your post otherwise would have had
>>
>Don't know who the audience that buys their games is
>Don't know what games their audience wants
>Don't know how to develop a game and broaden the audience without detracting from the game for the actual audience
>Too afraid to broaden the range of their development teams beyond Mario + his spinoffs and Zelda; Leave IPs in the dust until years later when they give it over to a subsidiary/partner like Retro Studios or Next Level Games
>Don't know how to online
>Hardware development decisions probably kept 3rd party developers away
>Slow development of games for their home console
>Begin development of the next console without having released any showstoppers for the current console
>Delayed holiday 2015 titles and rushed out low-budget games; Does not look like they are even going to bother with holiday 2016
>Going mobile
>Mass produce overpriced amiibos that get shipped out in unorganized numbers, marketing functionality in games which is actually extremely limited for any title that isn't Smash Bros (for Smash Bros. series amiibos.)
and based on opinion, the company is full of hacks
>>
If the NX fails then so will Nintendo.

>inb4 NINTENDO HAS 10 GORILLIAN DOLLARS THEY CAN WITHSTAND ANOTHER 2 FAILURES.

Well what you cunts fail to realize is that if their shareholders pull out of Nintendo then they're really fucked. If a stock tanks say goodbye to a company.
>>
>>342570668
>UK leaves EU
ALL stock across the glove are down you piece of shit
>>
File: COMPLETELY BTFO.png (495 KB, 1345x1461) Image search: [Google]
COMPLETELY BTFO.png
495 KB, 1345x1461
>>342570735
>>
>>342564820
Emulation is coming along pretty nicely.
>>
>>342563178
>Most people consider them a joke now
Their games just don't appeal to me. I'm not their target audience.
>>
>>342573127
People really want that glow in the dark amiibo, don't they?
>>
>>342573127
Im pretty sure most people mentiong God of War were in complete shock that they turned Kratos into a boring cucked Dovakhiin.

Literally the stupidest shit ever
>>
File: ss (2016-06-24 at 01.42.14).jpg (114 KB, 725x618) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-24 at 01.42.14).jpg
114 KB, 725x618
>>342573127
>putting together ALL mentions
>count 3rd party games Sony dont even own
>comparing the standar version of a game without release date + an announced port that is not up to sale vs the Collectors edition of a game
I pity you
>>
>>342563178
I think it's from a lack of caring and doing whatever the heck they feel like. Amiibo Festival was made solely because some Nintendo developers wanted a reason to own Animal Crossing amiibos of their own, making a good game wasn't what motivated them. I'm really only still supporting Nintendo because I still enjoy Zelda and Pokemon a lot.
>>
>>342573582
>I'm really only still supporting Nintendo because I still enjoy Zelda and Pokemon a lot.

I think most fans and gamers at large are in that boat now, honestly. If it wasn't for a handful of nostalgia-drug IPs up their sleeve, then Nintendo would be flat-out dead.
>>
>>342573093
The day will come if they continue to have their head in the clouds. I hope my favorite franchises would be sold to people who know what to do with them, but I know that will most likely not happen.
>>
>>342574026
It's depressing really. The main beef I have with games right now are innovations that wind up ruining the whole experience, or limitating games and not letting them to be brought to their full potential.
>>
>>342573093
>if their shareholders pull out
>Nintendo own most of their own stocks anyway
you are funny

>Shareholders
>pull out from a company that have had only 2 bad years out of 30 since they got in the vidya marker
>>
File: 1466200058567.jpg (323 KB, 1228x1502) Image search: [Google]
1466200058567.jpg
323 KB, 1228x1502
>>342573558

>that damage control
>>
File: 2hu questions you.png (113 KB, 525x550) Image search: [Google]
2hu questions you.png
113 KB, 525x550
>>342563178
I still love Nintendo games but people consider them "kiddy" due to the family friendly casual image created by stuff such as the Wii or the mascot games for them being appealing to younger audiences. This led to all the people dismissing them in favor of "realistic" looking stuff or "mature" games such as sports, FPS, open world rpgs such as Skyrim, etc. As for the decline in some series quality, I don't know.
>>
Can I have a source for all your claims OP?
>>
>>342563481
Bam.
>>
File: luigiJUST.png (119 KB, 712x920) Image search: [Google]
luigiJUST.png
119 KB, 712x920
>>342563481
please delete this... cmon bro PLEASE!
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.