[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OKAY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: DonkeyKong64CoverArt.jpg (30 KB, 382x260) Image search: [Google]
DonkeyKong64CoverArt.jpg
30 KB, 382x260
What does /v/ think of Donkey Kong 64?
>>
It's fun.
>>
File: rise.png (200 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
rise.png
200 KB, 300x450
I like it, but worst DK game.
>>
File: HE.png (7 KB, 295x115) Image search: [Google]
HE.png
7 KB, 295x115
Loved the bosses and minecart sections.
>>
>>342560329
Makes me think of all the hot sexy female kongs that would suck me dry

Post lewds8
>>
>>342560329
Gets shit on for a lot of things, but honestly combat is the only negative in the game.
And how many hours can you blow off on the Rhambo/En Garde minigames?
>>
Just dropped this game literally yesterday.
>>
It's amazing and has a surprising amount of depth

But the final minigame challenges to get to K Rool are retarded.
>>
>>342560329
It feels like rare intentionally made this game as bad as possible so they could exclusively have good ideas for BT

game is the definition of tedious 3D collectathon, the game is so badly programmed it needs the expansion pack just to boot up (costing nintendo tons of money and giving them a reason to sell rare) and you can glitch through walls by just making the framerate drop a little and also the game is the most racist video game ever made

the only redeeming part of the game is lanky kong who has funny meme
>>
>>342560329
I generally love collectathons but DK64 was the only collectathon I played that made me never want to play them again. The level design was so fucking terrible that the game in general just felt like a chore. I remember being super happy when I got to K. Rool because at that point I was just ready for the game to be over.
>>
>>342562496
>this much anger

Objectively you're just wrong as fuck, petty contrarian

If you hate DK64 then you also hate Banjo Kazooie

>REEEE THEYRE TOTALLY DIFFERENT

mmk anon top kek
>>
>>342562817
Banjo Kazooie and DK64 are not really that similar

Tooie on the other hand
>>
It's not very good, especially when compared to the SNES games.
>>
I'm baffled when people call it a 3D platformer since you barely do any platforming. It's more shooting switches and playing minigames with boss fights where you mostly just throw shit.
>>
>>342562817
bk has 1 character with the same/more abilities that all 5 dk64 characters have. in dk64 you have to swap constantly just to do shit like open a door so another character can then use their ability on a button and get a banana

which is another way this game isn't like bk, in that game the shit you do to get collectables is a bit more involved. in DK64 because there's 200 of the damn things lots of them are very basic "use ability in designated ability zone and receive prize" or recycled between characters (for example, in the desert level each character goes into the same building and has very similar "get to the end of this maze before time runs out or you get shot" challenge)

bk also has more I guess RPG elements because it has npc's that have more then one line of dialogue
>>
>>342562817
>If you hate DK64 then you also hate Banjo Kazooie
What a leap of logic.
>>
>>342560329

It's slow, it's boring to move around in as characters have very little movement or platforming besides a simple jump, the framerate is awful even by n64 standards, colored coded pickups force you to walk around the entire level as each character if you want to get everything, and just overall more tedious than fun.
>>
>>342560329

I like it a lot.
>>
It's the kind of game where it feels like they just kind of stopped caring about halfway through. The first few worlds felt pretty well done, but around the time you get to the water world you start to notice how wide open and empty the worlds are, like they were made BIG and HUGE simply to be BIG and HUGE, with nothing really of substance in between. Also Beaver Bother. Fuck that mini game, and the over abundance of barrel mini games towards the end of the game.
>>
Kind of shit.

It's very tedious and the level design is pretty bland. It's small areas connected by hallways that usually have branches in them. Makes the world feel segmented, unlike Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64. It feels even more segmented with character specific collectibles.

Most of the golden bananas are inside minigame barrels which is extremely lazy. All the Barrel Minigames are fucking shit. Most of the bananas are usually behind some random minigame or you hit a button and one appears.
>>
HE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9IKa0zL0NU
>>
the best representation of donkey kong
why nintendo decided to make him sound retarded later on makes me sad

other then that it was okay but there was just so much fucking collecting and the requirements to beat the game [that fucking timer at the end making it worse] just made it retarded
>>
File: 1457441016637.png (226 KB, 480x433) Image search: [Google]
1457441016637.png
226 KB, 480x433
>Beaver Bother
>>
>>342560329
In one level of DK64 there's a hallway that leads from one segment of the level to another where you have to arbitrarily shoot a switch above a locked door with an arbitrary character, then once you make your way down the twisting hallway you find that there's ANOTHER locked door with ANOTHER arbitrary switch that requires a DIFFERENT character to open, so you then have to backtrack to the arbitrary location of the tag barrel all so you can get through a hallway that has nothing important in it and get on with the game

DK64 is a bullshit game that has no respect for your time, if you like it it's because you were a stupid child that didn't know any better when you played it or simply hate yourself
>>
File: 1461871706182.jpg (17 KB, 151x151) Image search: [Google]
1461871706182.jpg
17 KB, 151x151
>>342560329

Absolute garbage. The entire game went ridiculously overboard in terms of gating off areas because of that needlessly arbitrary switching mechanic, and when you combine that with hilariously minimal platforming it just becomes a question of "What's the fucking point?" until you finally realize you've been wasting hours of your life playing something you never got any enjoyment out of.

So glad we got Returns and Tropical Freeze instead of a successor to 64. Let's all forget this shit existed and move on.
>>
>>342564106

don't remind me.

protip:there is only ONE beaver at a time that can go in the hole, if it doesn't go in at first you prolly have the wrong beaver.

the game is fun, but as i've gotten older its not as good as the other rare titles.
>>
>>342564067
This coconut crap isn't funny.
>>
Played it for years. Going back to it after all this time, the placement of collectibles is the only thing that really gets me. They place collectibles for several different kongs in one area, usually in small amounts. They force too much backtracking for small amounts of collectibles and exploration at a time. The first world was boring.
Oh yeah, and sometimes the camera makes you want to kill yourself.
>>
File: Mike ross2.jpg (3 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
Mike ross2.jpg
3 MB, 5000x5000
>>342562376
>beating donkey kong in 1 life
>that level with bouncing springs
>only got passed it once and lost on the last level
>mfw
that was over a decade i wonder if i could do it now
>>
>>342560329
its the best chore on N64
>>
File: figuratively_impossible.png (55 KB, 299x219) Image search: [Google]
figuratively_impossible.png
55 KB, 299x219
>>342560329
>Hey literal children that are the target audience of this game, can you beat the quite diffcult original Donkey Kong arcade game with worse controls and with one life?
>No? Well too bad motherfucker because you're beating it TWICE (and the second time is harder lol fuck you) if you want to see the last level of the game

Literally what were they thinking, between this and the game only shipping with the expansion pack because the game was buggy as fuck and using the expansion pack was an easier bugfix then actually fixing their game I'd really love some behind the scenes documentary on this stupid game.
>>
>>342560329
The only good thing was the free Expansion Pak
>>
>>342564067
This coconut rap isn't funny, if you know the words you should shoot yourself.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.